Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Kolle_foh

shitlord
the models don"t look like shit

my guy is a human pal and he looks great. his animations are good too.

but please, keep trolling and repeating the same insults over and over

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Here is a little snippet of some information I got from Nino that goes well with this topic of character models.

Also, I just spent a week redoing all of the ability particles, sounds, and animations. So with the next art pull the disciple should look cooler and hopefully feel more fun.

So my DSC should look, sound and move alot cooler = ) not sure about other classes as i only asked about DSC.

forge_foh

shitlord
Kolle said:
the models don"t look like shit

my guy is a human pal and he looks great. his animations are good too.

but please, keep trolling and repeating the same insults over and over
The warrior kick animation looks like he"s smashing tulips. Most of the beta sentiment around here was the lawl models and animation. The rest of the stuff wasn"t that big of a deal. You still have the problem that the only difference in half-giant and halfling is that ones 9 feet tall and the others 4. However, all of the models look better with plate armor, since it"s not skin tight. I"m not basing my information off of smoke and mirrors but rather playing both of those races last night looking over the models. The model"s we are clearly stuck with, the animation however needs to be fixed.

Samflam_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
*Nasal nerd fuck whiney voice*But you don"t even play Wow, who gives a fuck what you thnk about it ? Why don"t you GTFO out these threads and stop shitting on Wow?....ad nausem.

Retard.
Still never answered the question earlier in the thread. Do you play VG or not?

I have a serious question for the people who like VG"s graphics. Have you played for any real length of time (actually played, not walked by a guy who had the icon on his desktop) any non-MMOs with more realistic graphics; ie Dark Messiah, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Prey, Battlefield 2, etc.?

The reason I ask is it seems that if you generally stick to MMOs, Vanguard looks great to you. If you play other non-MMOs which go for the realistic look, it doesn"t. I"m curious to see how true that is.

I really don"t get the "I can"t go back to those graphics" mentality either. After playing Oblivion and Dark Messiah several months ago, I loaded up Fallout 2 and Gothic 1 (~8-10 year old games.) While the difference in graphical quality was noticeable (to put it mildly,) it wasn"t something that bothered me in the slightest. If you honestly feel that way, I"d strongly suggest you stay away from non-MMOs.

r.gun_foh

shitlord
I"ve play Dark Messiah, Oblivion, every new 360 release since the summer and some others on the PC and I still think Vanguard looks great. No, it doesn"t look as good as Gears of War, but those are highly restricted, linear levels with maybe,maybe15 characters on screen max.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Atleast when I say I like VG graphics, I keep that in the realm of MMO graphics. VG graphics are shit when you compare them to games like F.E.A.R. and Prey and such.

Apples and Oranges my friend.

Reggie_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Atleast when I say I like VG graphics, I keep that in the realm of MMO graphics. VG graphics are shit when you compare them to games like F.E.A.R. and Prey and such.

Apples and Oranges my friend.
Yep, just like EQ vanilla and Unreal Tournament back in 99. I actually went from playing UT rather hardcore (Raging Cunt ever kill you on Facing Worlds:CTF?) ranked 35th on that standings board: to EQ1, and the graphics rift was gigantic. Folks in EQ were like OMG the graphics!!... I was like... OMG the graphics?!? (opposite poles though).

Having said that, gameplay is what gets me, and the Q owned my ass for a half decade.

I NEVER compare MMO graphics and FPS/RTS, FPS/RTS will ALWAYS look better imxp.

Kildace_foh

shitlord
Malakie Torsade said:
I have a serious question for the people who like VG"s graphics. Have you played for any real length of time (actually played, not walked by a guy who had the icon on his desktop) any non-MMOs with more realistic graphics; ie Dark Messiah, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Prey, Battlefield 2, etc.?
I play gears of war a lot.
I just know what to expect from a MMO. Would I like the game to look as good as GoW? Of course, but we"re not in 2012 yet so that"s not gonna happen. VG, for me is as good as it gets right now. With all its shortcomings. Nicer models and animation would make it pretty much perfect in every way for me.

Tual_foh

shitlord
Malakie Torsade said:

etc
I like them. But yes I have seen better models, animations and artistic value in other games. But I enjoy the game, and as long the game doesn"t cause me to get epileptic insults, I won"t lose sleep over it.

So much bullshit in all these WoW and VG threads, it"s just getting lame. Just enjoy the game. Why feel the need to defend something because others whine and cry? And same can be said for the opposite.

So yes, someone sharing their LOLZ0r "I prefer the bla bla art style of x", is fucking useless after being the 1000th person saying it and creating more crying. You"re not trying to share your humble opinion with the other posters, you"re being a whiny cunt.

And now you made me whine as well. I"ll just go back to being a lurker.

First off, I"m not talking about gameplay at all, just graphics.

Secondly, I realize that you can"t expect the best graphics in an MMO for many reasons. This wasn"t what I was getting at, but can understand the confusion.

Here is why I asked. The thing with VG for me is it shoots for realism but, because of technical limitations, it has to fall short, else your video card would wave the white flag as soon as 20+ players/NPCs showed up. However, this falling short is what kills it for me I think; the Uncanny Valley thing people bring up a lot. For a lot of readers here, MMOs are all they play, so Vanguard would definitely be a huge leap graphically over WoW, EQ, CoH, etc., as far as poly counts and what have you. However, for those who have experienced games with better graphics, my thought was that perhaps they were the ones least impressed by them. This doesn"t seem to be the case for some.

Kildace said:
VG, for me is as good as it gets right now.
There is a difference between "as good as it gets" and "good." With just poly counts and what not, I think VG is as good as it gets (until AoC, then we"ll see.) I do not think the graphics are good, though (barring armor, which is very well done.)

I agree 100% on the models. The Humanish (Human, Dwarf, etc) all look poor to me. The wolf head guys look, frankly, terrible because of the Wolf-Mask effect. The Goblin and Orc faces, on the other hand, look great, but are again marred by body structure (more so on Goblins, less on Orcs.)

Anyway, sorry for the derail. It"s just something that has had me curious for a long time, wondering if I was the only one who was missing the "awesome" of the screenshots.

PS : Stop responding to Hiram and he will go away.

Twobit Whore said:
Ells, you can"t make negative comments about VG, especially if you don"t play the game! Jeez, where have you been? You can"t say something like "I prefer WoW"s art over VG"s technical shiny plastic".

Gotta love double standards.
It boggles the mind how they do this constantly, do not acknowledge it, and then flame, insult, call for banning, GTFO you don"t play, call you troll, screw your little sister etc if you say anything.

I am pretty confident that at least some people here are aware this goes on, definately not the VG 4 life crowd, but they are all neo-con"s anyway.

Vaxxx_foh

shitlord
I think for the majority of people playing a game graphics and most animations really don"t mean as much as game play after a short time.

Vanguards graphics are fine, I have a decent computer and run at around 30-45 fps. Are there bad textures models in the game, yup, do I really care about them, nope. that isn"t to give Sigil a free pass, but honestly it"s like that for almost any game.

And the best graphics does not make the best game, I played and beat all of Oblivion, and thought it looked really good, by the end I really didn"t like the game because of it"s elements.

Why is this for mmo"s well I will use an example my brother told me the other day.

He played a necro in EQ all the way up, as everybody knows the animations in that game, well they kind of sucked. He told me he played a necro/magic user in EQII, said the first time he saw the cool staff flipping animation he thought "this is what I"m talking about" by the 10,000 time he just wanted to turn the stupid animation off and have his old crapy EQ animation that resembled a slightly drunk person hitting a Pinata, back.

Oh and one other thing, people try and say that Vanguard is going for the realistic look. Maybe devs have said that but really it just looks like a video game, it has good textures and bad, some parts look really bright and cartoony, some parts do like kind of realistic and some just look bad. To me it"s just Vanguards style that in my opinion works at conveying their sense of their world.

I mean what look was original EQ, sorta quasi realistic, I have no idea, I just classify it as a video game and go from there.

Digits_foh

shitlord
Simple, yet stylish animations win out over any fancy thing you can create any day of the week. Sigil tried to be too all encompassing with their shit, having fancy twirling blades and dramatic movements for fist fighting when all anyone really wants is just something that makes you go "Fucking ouch" the first time you see and not get tired of seeing some drawn out thing after that. It"s like they didn"t learn the lesson from Final Fantasy 7 with the summoning animations. It"s not only a giant pain to get animations working right, you also can"t have people getting bored of them after a few hours.

I think DAoC had about the most advanced animations I want to see in a game. There was bunches of cool stuff, like leaps and twirls, but it was very short and to the point. People didn"t throw their hands up in the air over their heads after a combo attack or anything like that. Another thing is that more complex animations means it a bigger pain to get them to quickly return to the natural pose.

What the fuck is this thread about anyway.