Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

tad10 said:
Heh you called it.
Who is trolling now Tad ? Heres some logic for ya !

Main Entry: hyp?o?crite
Pronunciation: "hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 :a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Reggie_foh

shitlord
So yeah, its all small penises, small paychecks, small video cards, and small little inner-boys with their fragile ego that are keeping the vg nerd rage going. (besides Tad feeding the tards like its a 3rd grade recess)

Seriously, how can it get to the argument level it is? "I like this, don"t like that." "Hey have fun with it." "Not for me."

I guess if I couldn"t afford a sufficient/new gaming rig with my six figure salary I would be diggin into VG whenever I could while playing my old MMO.

How about a nice new thread with consolidated and organized nerd rage now that we have such a comprehensive knowledge base to pull from.

Danth_foh

shitlord
Malakie Torsade said:
I have a serious question for the people who like VG"s graphics. Have you played for any real length of time (actually played, not walked by a guy who had the icon on his desktop) any non-MMOs with more realistic graphics; ie Dark Messiah, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Prey, Battlefield 2, etc.?

The reason I ask is it seems that if you generally stick to MMOs, Vanguard looks great to you. If you play other non-MMOs which go for the realistic look, it doesn"t. I"m curious to see how true that is.

I really don"t get the "I can"t go back to those graphics" mentality either. After playing Oblivion and Dark Messiah several months ago, I loaded up Fallout 2 and Gothic 1 (~8-10 year old games.) While the difference in graphical quality was noticeable (to put it mildly,) it wasn"t something that bothered me in the slightest. If you honestly feel that way, I"d strongly suggest you stay away from non-MMOs.
I like Vanguard"s graphics. I don"t like it for its quality; I was happy when games were played at 640x480x256. I like Vanguard"s graphics because stuff looksnormalfor the most part. I liked early EQ for much the same reason, and I liked WoW up until I reached the upper levels and stuff started becomming increasingly outlandish. My wife shares my opinion for the most part. I remember when Blizzard changed the WoW Druid"s Wildheart shoulders graphic (this must have been early 2005), my wifey actually cried because the new model looked so bad (dead stuffed birds mounted on plaques). Poor wifey.

Yeah, I"m boring and want normal-looking stuff in fantasy games. I play a human and always pick the same class and the same plain-as-vanilla name. Maybe I"m a stick in the mud, but I am what I am. Vanguard"s graphic design suits my preferences quite well thus far.

If I have a complaint about Vanguard"s graphics, its that many buildings and locations have severe problems with scale (New Targonor is horrible for this). This is a problem with most newer games, though.

Danth

Guiness_foh

shitlord
Danth said:
If I have a complaint about Vanguard"s graphics, its that many buildings and locations have severe problems with scale (New Targonor is horrible for this). This is a problem with most newer games, though.
I appreciate the "epic" scale of what is to be the hub port city of Telon, that place is just fucking crazy gigantic. True story, I had a guildmate yesterday lost trying to find the lift down into the mountain to the port proper for over an hour, and this guy is not a normally directionally challenged player.

I will say this though, the city was hopping yesterday. It was pretty cool seeing all the "foreign" races (I had not seen an orc or goblin player character before), kind of like Plane of Knowledge with 60% less gay.

Neric_foh

shitlord
I don"t get this discussion. There are people who are happy with fancy graphics and there are people who are not. There is no compromise and neither side can prove the other right or wrong.

Also this stuff about animations is ridiculous. Some like "em, some don"t. The question is not if the animations are good enough to live with, it is if the animations can be improved or not. If they can be improved, you should ask when.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Neric said:
I don"t get this discussion. There are people who are happy with fancy graphics and there are people who are not. There is no compromise and neither side can prove the other right or wrong.

Also this stuff about animations is ridiculous. Some like "em, some don"t. The question is not if the animations are good enough to live with, it is if the animations can be improved or not. If they can be improved, you should ask when.
To me i think they are ok, they are just basic fighting animations. I havent paid much attention to other classes. I am a Dread Knight and the ones we have are fine. The way DE"s look in Heavy Armor is pretty damn awesome i think.

Nino_foh

shitlord
I"ve been fairly vocal about trying to get the animations improved and changed as needed. One of the things that people couldn"t stand was the "shout" animation that looked bad and lasted way too long. In the next art push we have six new "War Cry" animations of varying lengths and styles to replace the shouts. I"ve reassigned them to the Warrior, Dread Knight, and Paladin already, but you won"t see them until we patch the files. We also added a very simple blow gun animation for the Rogue. The Rogue has several blow dart abilities that were being tossed at the target. Now it looks much better. I realize these are little changes, but hopefully they add up. We could still stand to do a pass on removing some of the pauses and trimming some of the dead space in our weapon swings, but it isn"t the first priority right now. We are still creating NPCs at a constant pace and the animation people are busy. We have a dozen or so new creatures coming with the next push; some cool stuff.

Digits_foh

shitlord
No one"s expecting you to fix the animations in one fell swoop, and as a matter of fact waiting until you get every single animation fix would be the worst thing you can do. If you do a handful of animations per patch you get to see how people react and if they like the way you"re going. If they don"t, you only have a handful of items to fix as opposed to a gigantic slew of awkwardly placed arms and the like.

If in 3 months you still haven"t made quality animations that flow, or aren"t making it appear as though you aren"t going through every last one that isn"t top notch then you will see some epicly justified bitching.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
I have been wondering this and figured why not ask.. Is Telon actually a world or just a flat plain? What I mean by that is like in UO I could sail to the far west and eventually come back to the far east of the map because it was a "real" world and all real worlds are round. EQ and WoW are not "real" worlds in the sense that you can"t travel in one direction and come back to where you started at. They are just flat planes and so not "real" in the context of what it takes to be a world.

Just a little aside :)

Also

Neric said:

I agree with this completely Neric. I think the animations are just ok but could really use some tweaking. I loved the animations in DAoC also, as someone mentioned earlier, and would love to see some similar stuff put in VG. I could watch a person on a Keep raid and know what styles they were using and how to better counter them just by the animations they were doing.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Nino said:
I"ve been fairly vocal about trying to get the animations improved and changed as needed. One of the things that people couldn"t stand was the "shout" animation that looked bad and lasted way too long. In the next art push we have six new "War Cry" animations of varying lengths and styles to replace the shouts. I"ve reassigned them to the Warrior, Dread Knight, and Paladin already, but you won"t see them until we patch the files. We also added a very simple blow gun animation for the Rogue. The Rogue has several blow dart abilities that were being tossed at the target. Now it looks much better. I realize these are little changes, but hopefully they add up. We could still stand to do a pass on removing some of the pauses and trimming some of the dead space in our weapon swings, but it isn"t the first priority right now. We are still creating NPCs at a constant pace and the animation people are busy. We have a dozen or so new creatures coming with the next push; some cool stuff.
I dont know if its planned in the upcomming rogue changes. But some of the rogue animations are so delayed it really does make it hard to play the class sometimes. Again, I dont know if its intended, but playing a rogue, its necessary to time your attacks around your auto attacks. The easiest way to do this is by watching the animations.
The worst offender at the moment is Shank. Which is a shame, because its actually usable now with the changes. You cast shank and you get a big freeze up and no animation updates for a few seconds, then a burst of numbers on your screen. It would be good if this could be looked at because timing abilities from your combat log isnt much fun. A blow dart animation for some stuff is nice. But I"d much rather prefer more focus on animations that keep pace with combat.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Camerous said:
I have been wondering this and figured why not ask.. Is Telon actually a world or just a flat plain? What I mean by that is like in UO I could sail to the far west and eventually come back to the far east of the map because it was a "real" world and all real worlds are round. EQ and WoW are not "real" worlds in the sense that you can"t travel in one direction and come back to where you started at. They are just flat planes and so not "real" in the context of what it takes to be a world.
Thestra, Qualia and Kojan are just a small part of the world of Telon. Their design documents detail a much larger world, with other continents much larger even than Thestra or Qualia.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Daelos said:
Thestra, Qualia and Kojan are just a small part of the world of Telon. Their design documents detail a much larger world, with other continents much larger even than Thestra or Qualia.
That didn"t answer jack or shit.

Pinchandroll_foh

shitlord
Actually, it did. He said that the 3 continents that are accessible in the game are a small part of a big world, most of which is not implemented in the released game. It"s pretty obvious that he"s implying that going to the end of the ocean willnotbring you back around because the rest of the world isn"t in (yet?). So, the question of "is VG a "real" world" was clearly answered with a resounding "no," along with a thorough explanation ofwhythat is the case. Explain again how the question wasn"t answered?

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Camerous said:
To actually answer the question, the world is not round. It"s flat. Brad said that one day they would like to have it be "round" where you could sail one direction and make a full orbit.

Also, they don"t need to add more area to add more land masses because 75% of the curent gameworld is empty ocean.

Jedite_foh

shitlord
Id just like to add to the sentiment of some that say Screenshots dont do this game Justice, and now that Ive experienced the game in max settings with steady 50fps I have to say they are right.

Screenshots might look great, BUT DAMN they are nothing compared to actually seeing stuff in the game. The world is absolutly breathtaking, and dont give me that brown shit, cause really there is a lot of color in the world that is exentuated by playing on high settings.

I am still kinda ticked off that Nvidias drivers for the 8800GTX are still kinda wacky but im sure it will get fixed soon.

Jedite said:
Id just like to add to the sentiment of some that say Screenshots dont do this game Justice, and now that Ive experienced the game in max settings with steady 50fps I have to say they are right.

Screenshots might look great, BUT DAMN they are nothing compared to actually seeing stuff in the game. The world is absolutly breathtaking, and dont give me that brown shit, cause really there is a lot of color in the world that is exentuated by playing on high settings.

I am still kinda ticked off that Nvidias drivers for the 8800GTX are still kinda wacky but im sure it will get fixed soon.
I don"t think anyone argues that it"s not a beautiful world, it definately is.

Kolle_foh

shitlord
characters look fantastic too

i haven"t tried all race/class/armor combos, but the ones i have so far are quite good. my paladin is my highest. the more i upgrade his weapons and plate the more i like him.

it"s refreshing to see sanely shaped models compared to the popeye syndrome of wow

Jedite_foh

shitlord
Kolle said:
characters look fantastic too

i haven"t tried all race/class/armor combos, but the ones i have so far are quite good. my paladin is my highest. the more i upgrade his weapons and plate the more i like him.

it"s refreshing to see sanely shaped models compared to the popeye syndrome of wow
Absolutly.. The armor my Paladin has now at 19 is freaking PIMP!!!!! It looks very robust, although I wish we had helmets enabled!!! DAMN Unibodys!!!!

Vinen

God is dead
My Blood Mage looks badass at 32... can"t wait to get more pieces of my 35 class armour.