Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Nattac_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
Quick, automated travel is good. Instant-porting not so much. The problem with travel in EQ2 is for much of it you have to pay attention, which sucks.

WoW has travel nailed to the T. Plenty of places to travel to and explore, a decently sized world. And the best part is once you"ve seen and done it all, there is no "fuck oh god oh fuck why am I still doing this?" 50th run from Commonlands to NToV.
Even though wow uses the birdie system also, you still go through the land =p - kind of a nice break >< I wouldn"t mind one or the other.. birdie/summonstone

OO and FUCK 15 min boat wait.. if i remember correcltly if you just missed the boat in VG it was 15 mins? I haven"t really been playing but last i heard they just use teleporters atm right? Gawd i"d cry if it was still 15 mins

Why do boat masters never have the ETA. I didn"t mind SWG 10 min wait because the android had an eta

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree on not needing huge worlds to feel immersed. WoW Boats are about as long as I"d really tolerate waiting.

P.S. Ellsworth, have you seen new JC rings and necklaces? No need to get Seal of Wrynn anymore.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Ellsworth said:
So... I havn"t missed your point. But I"d like to point out you"r pretty dumb if you skip stockades.

There is a quest that chains into stocks and ends in Seal of Wrynn which has to be a ring good for 20 - 50 levels. I know personally I wore it for a long time. My alts have each got that ring.
While the ring is certainly nice at those levels, it becomes a matter of worth. Any player serious about leveling thier character will likely only spend 1-2 weeks in those levels. Theres also the whole "post BC" jewelcrafting thing to consider now. And seeing as a few of the rings stats are somewhat wasted on certain classes, you could feasibly buy a comparable ring in the AH, but with fewer stats more specifically suited to the particular class in question.

In other words, depending on the individual players goals (or perhaps they just generally dislike the instance), it may not really be worth the time or effort to go through the quest chain. Especially when you factor in other issues, such as rep in an entirely different area.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
I reckon travel would be fine in VG, if they made it so everyone was easily able to get their horses & one in 3-5 people got boats when they hit that level. And the horses were all brought down a level. I.e you could get your lv30 horse at lv20.

It does work. But is too painfully slow.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
While the ring is certainly nice at those levels, it becomes a matter of worth. Any player serious about leveling thier character will likely only spend 1-2 weeks in those levels. Theres also the whole "post BC" jewelcrafting thing to consider now. And seeing as a few of the rings stats are somewhat wasted on certain classes, you could feasibly buy a comparable ring in the AH, but with fewer stats more specifically suited to the particular class in question.

In other words, depending on the individual players goals (or perhaps they just generally dislike the instance), it may not really be worth the time or effort to go through the quest chain. Especially when you factor in other issues, such as rep in an entirely different area.
Come on guys VC and stockades really aren"t bad instances to go through. In fact I liked them because they didn"t take a ton of time to complete. Yeah you can skip em all, and with my alts I tend to do so, EXCEPT vc/stockades. I always do those. The rep runs make them worth it especially.

But then of course you can skip all that crap and do AV turnins for rep or the expensive cloth route. That is always the danger of expansions, making older parts ghost towns. Now I just try to get alts to 58 asap, wearing crap and hit Outlands.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Now I just try to get alts to 58 asap, wearing crap and hit Outlands.
Which once an expansion hits, pretty much becomes the objective. Its not really about those instances being bad or good. Its about them being worthwhile when there"s something more important to the player. Like Darnassus rep for a Draenei to buy a cat instead of an elekk at level 40. Or just getting to 58 to get to Outlands.

I liked VC and Stockades. The FIRST 5 or 6 times I ran them. Now, I just wanna get to 58 where the "new" game is. And i"d definitely rather ride around on a cat than that godawful looking elephant

Witoubo_foh

shitlord
A note related to the current discussion butcompletelyoff the thread"s topic. I really hope they implement a new 1-60 game in the next xpack along with a couple new races. With the number of alts people have I really think it would be worthwhile. I have 2 60s waiting around, a lvl 70 and I still want to play my BE paladin. The new stuff ends at 20 though and his appeal has dropped off sharply there.

MetalNeo_foh

shitlord
LadyVex said:
Oh no I definitely agree. I just have a slight different take on it. The only instances I consider sad at the lower end if you don"t do them are deadmines and wailing caverns. Stockades can rot in hell; I hate that zone to all hell and back.

Since I"ve been leveling my draenei in my off time, I"ve found a decent amount of people to group with, but I"ve not been gung-ho on instances, they just kinda fall into my lap.

My draenei is on a pve server, so I"m not sure if that changes anything.

What makes instances so challenging to get groups for is that they are real actual chances to die a billion times if you go with idiots, for maybe 2-3 quests to do, and no real loot, so most people when leveling an alt skip it.

I think I would hate them if they make stockades mandatory but maybe thats what they should do, or at least make it a chain progression through the lower instances so people aren"t stuck. Re-itemization might also work, or an abundance of new quests for rep rewards at the low end for various cities. (For example, no way in f**k am I getting a stupid elekk, I have been farming Darn rep since level 15.)

For me though, the way things work are a blessing. Being a healing class and not getting 349237 tells for a stupid instance is really nice, and when I do get a tell it"s really even money whether they know what they are doing or not.

Anyways to more formally address your question, I actually didn"t see a big giant leap progression wise on my server; except for the one at the high end. (For Outlands, and its pretty easy to find a group for virtually any instance there whenever.) Those that did start draenei immediately did so with the intent to level them to 70 as fast as possible, so they either skipped instances or had a high level buddy run them through.

The only real rush to progression I saw was when I made my first character and started playing the game. Everyone else being at most 20 levels above me (If they were hardcore, woo) made it pretty easy to find someone who would go to an instance.

TBH, what I would love to see happen is an EQ-style new area designed so you can go from 1-60 without doing any of the old content. EQ did that with The Serpent"s Spine? I think, where if you started a dragon char, or any char for that matter you could level 1 to whatever the max was without leaving the new area. Something like that would go a long way to revitalizing the lower end content and giving people who want to experience the wonder of the old instances a chance to do so.

Also if I never have to do ashenvale quests again that would be pretty super.
Bottom line if I sense Im grouping with idiots I try to get lead and boot when the idiots exceed a certain degree of stupidity. Definetly class would help if your a war/healer you probably dont have to look often.

And I kind of like stockades since quests are easy, exp is easy and u dont need a holy trinity to do it I think in beta me(26 hunter and a 27) cleared the entire place.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
MetalNeo said:
. . .

And I kind of like stockades since quests are easy, exp is easy and u dont need a holy trinity to do it I think in beta me(26 hunter and a 27) cleared the entire place.
You know there is a lot of truth in that last sentence. One of the things I liked about original EQ (pre-planes/Kunark) was that pretty much any group combo worked on everything (except Naggy/Vox). Kunark was the start of the holy trinity and has been the bane of these games too much ever since. Stockades really was an instance that any group combo could work and it wasn"t tremendously long. I really wish more instances where like that. Can"t tell you how many instance groups have died due to a lack or losing of a healer/tank.

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Guys, I hate to bother you again, but...

I patched the game, tried to launch it, and got an error. I went to the station website and did a search to see if I can find what the problem was. It told me that I probably needed to update my Direct X, so I did.

Didn"t fix the problem.

Looked around some more, found that I may need to update my drivers. I go to Nvidia"s website, download the drivers, uninstal the older ones, and restart. When the desktop comes up, this pesky Wizard thing pops up, and won"t go away no matter how many times I hit cancel. So I try to instal the drivers around it, and even the drivers told me it was up. I hit cancel on the Wizard, it closes, and I install the drivers.

After the reboot, I looked, and it turns out the drivers aren"t there... So, I decide to system restore the thing, and here I am.

I just tried again, and now it won"t even let me connect. Maybe the server is down? I dunno...

"d3dx9.31.dll Not Found" is the error.

Anyway, thanks.

MetalNeo_foh

shitlord
Sithro said:

I patched the game, tried to launch it, and got an error. I went to the station website and did a search to see if I can find what the problem was. It told me that I probably needed to update my Direct X, so I did.

Didn"t fix the problem.

Looked around some more, found that I may need to update my drivers. I go to Nvidia"s website, download the drivers, uninstal the older ones, and restart. When the desktop comes up, this pesky Wizard thing pops up, and won"t go away no matter how many times I hit cancel. So I try to instal the drivers around it, and even the drivers told me it was up. I hit cancel on the Wizard, it closes, and I install the drivers.

After the reboot, I looked, and it turns out the drivers aren"t there... So, I decide to system restore the thing, and here I am.

I just tried again, and now it won"t even let me connect. Maybe the server is down? I dunno...

Anyway, thanks.
Hmm wonder whats status of server transfers cause if I stay at VG targonar definetly isnt cutting it granted I need a late crowd like 11:30 pm central start to devour content team

=

LadyVex_foh

shitlord
Ellsworth said:
So... I havn"t missed your point. But I"d like to point out you"r pretty dumb if you skip stockades.

There is a quest that chains into stocks and ends in Seal of Wrynn which has to be a ring good for 20 - 50 levels. I know personally I wore it for a long time. My alts have each got that ring.
Why on earth would you wade through stockades with jewelcrafting available?

The only thing dumb is this post. HUR HUR I SKIPPED A BORING INSTANCE, OMGAWD NOW MY ALT DOESN"T HAVE ONE RING OF 2342837498 IN THE GAME!!

WHATEVER SHALL I DO?!

One ring doesn"t make an instance mandatory, especially with the amount of items you can get nowadays. A nice, long chain that goes through all the instances, winds around all the quests so that you do them at appropriate levels, and then finally ends with a decent rewards when you get done with say, Maraudon. Maybe a new chain begins with BRD and beyond.

I"m pretty offended by that. And I don"t mean offended in that you called me dumb, offended in the fact I had to read blatant stupidity.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
So, today i went venturing in southern Qalia, and i came up to some Buyable Palace. I seen 2 of the, I thought they were pretty neat.

Sithro_foh

shitlord
That"s actually pretty neat. Can you go inside and look around?

Oh, and is the network up? My Launchpad won"t connect to the network, and I don"t know if it"s just me or not. Lol

Hopefully I can get this game working tomorrow evening.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Sithro said:
That"s actually pretty neat. Can you go inside and look around?

Oh, and is the network up? My Launchpad won"t connect to the network, and I don"t know if it"s just me or not. Lol

Hopefully I can get this game working tomorrow evening.
Yes, but i didnt take any pics from inside. Just the outside ones.

Wildstone_foh

shitlord
Sithro said:

Anyway, thanks.
I just finished my free buddy pass, and I think I"m going to give this game a pass. But hell, I"m not gonna let that stop me from helping you get the game running. Then you can decide for yourself.

I had that exact some issue. After much frustration, turned out my version of DirectX wasn"t perfectly up to date. Went and downloaded the latest version, and worked like a charm.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Sithro said:

Didn"t fix the problem.

Anyway, thanks.
What video card? any what build of DX does it say when you run "dxdiag" from start -> run.

4.09.00000.xxxxxx something.

Is there a d3dx9.31.dll file in your %systemroot%\system32 folder?

Sithro_foh

shitlord
I have a 7800GT.

4.09.0000.0904 is what it says.

I did a search on my PC, and it seems that file doesn"t exist. What I"ve found REALLY weird is now the Vanguard folder is down from 16.9GM to 13.5GB... Wtf happened?

I still can"t connect to the patcher. Not even on EQII.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Sithro said:
I have a 7800GT.

4.09.0000.0904 is what it says.

I did a search on my PC, and it seems that file doesn"t exist. What I"ve found REALLY weird is now the Vanguard folder is down from 16.9GM to 13.5GB... Wtf happened?

I still can"t connect to the patcher. Not even on EQII.
It sounds like your DX9 didn"t install properly then. dunno how you tried to install it but you can get the full installer fromFilePlanet: DirectX Installer