Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Neric_foh

shitlord
Camerous said:
Boats should be pointless. If ther was one thing I ALWAYS hated about EQ1 was the damn boring ass boat rides. Just plain fuck that. Give me a porter any day of the week.
I don"t mind boats if they are done nicely. Sailing from BB to FP was ok, except for the bugs of course.

What I don"t understand is why wizard/druid teleport got shafted in VG. What was so bad about this concept that it had to be removed? Things like that are absolutely beyond me.

RunningDog_foh

shitlord
If you have instant teleports, then why have a big world? Every MMO that"s tried the "big world" has hit the same problems - people get fed up travelling so they dont travel, they congregate in a few spots. And if your players are staying put, you"ve wasted lots of time creating areas that aren"t visited; plus it obviously makes grouping more difficult in any location outside the popular ones.

I think the WoW solution of flight masters is the best compromise. The first time you have to run from A to B, and afterwards you can run or pay and fly. As the flight time isn"t instant you still get a sense of scale and there"s some "effort" involved due to the time taken and cost. For VG I guess they could make the flights cost half your current level to keep it hardcore ;-)

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Hachima said:
It sounds like your DX9 didn"t install properly then. dunno how you tried to install it but you can get the full installer fromFilePlanet: DirectX Installer
How do I install it with that? It asks me to extract the folders, but I don"t really know where.

Sorry about all this trouble, I"m not that great with computers. Hopefully, whatever it is fixes the "unable to connect to network" problem that I"m having. ;/

Keddo_foh

shitlord
There is most likely a Direct X folder on the Vanguard install discs that you can run setup from.

Take a look and see.

Did it promp you or run a check for Direct X when you installed the game?

Most games do.

If not you might have a game somewhere at your house with Direct X on it also.

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Lusiphur said:
Can we have a "help Sithro" thread and limit him to posting in there so we can actually get some freaking game discussion going on ???
From what I was reading (skimmed it), everyone was talking about WoW or something.

Can we make a WoW thread, so we can get some Vanguard discussion going on?

Rayne_foh

shitlord
RunningDog said:
If you have instant teleports, then why have a big world? Every MMO that"s tried the "big world" has hit the same problems - people get fed up travelling so they dont travel, they congregate in a few spots.And if your players are staying put, you"ve wasted lots of time creating areas that aren"t visited; plus it obviously makes grouping more difficult in any location outside the popular ones.

I think the WoW solution of flight masters is the best compromise. The first time you have to run from A to B, and afterwards you can run or pay and fly. As the flight time isn"t instant you still get a sense of scale and there"s some "effort" involved due to the time taken and cost. For VG I guess they could make the flights cost half your current level to keep it hardcore ;-)
You realise you asked and answered your own question right? I remember the GD dragon ring very well. In the early days, if you didn"t have the shard, you couldn"t port there. So you had no choice but to run it first. But the big point is, you only had to run it once. I think thats a reasonable compromise.

Flightmasters really aren"t the answer here though. Partys want to form up NOW. They don"t want to wait around for 15 - 20 minutes for a player to fly to them. And its not like anyone is asking for portal spells at level 1. EQ did that much right. You got your portals at strategic, level appropriate intervals that made sense.

I remember that whole beta leak debacle about the aspects of "vertical interdependance". EQ"s system had that part of it down in spades. Many were the night I hired a lowbie druid for a ride so I could get to a group in Sebilis or Velks. And many were the night I just hung around and made a few plat porting higher level players to wherever they wanted to go.

All I can say is, for a team that really wants to encourage grouping in thier game, they"re certainly not being very accomodating.

Faltigoth_foh

shitlord
I might be wrong about this, but I seem to remember vaguely that the vision for the huge world and dungeons was guilds/groups moving to them, setting up shop for a few days/weeks (maybe with semi-permanent tent cities or some shit?) and then moving on to the next dungeon. Maybe I am just making that up out of my head, who knows, but I seem to recall reading something like that in regards to the design of VG. The size of the world, lack of fast travel, and size and scope of the major dungeons certainly supports something like that (which, of course, likely will never materialize).

I have been trying very hard to break away from the "hang out in central hub to find a group" mode of thinking and move to the "go to the dungeon and find a group" style. Part of the problem with that, is that the concept for all of the dungeons (as I understand it) was creamy easy outer filling with tough insides: i.e., soloable "yard trash" so people had something to do while waiting for a group to move in and do the tough stuff. Somewhere else on this board someone pointed out directly how that was currently not the case in many dungeons.

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Wolfen said:
All you have to do is go toMicrosoft DirectX: Home Pageand download the latest version. I got the same thing when I recently loaded EQ back up.
That"s what I did, yet it still didn"t work.

I"m going to try some other stuff when I get home. For one, I need to figure out how to get the station patcher thing going again, then I can concentrate on the other issue. :/

I have been trying very hard to break away from the "hang out in central hub to find a group" mode of thinking and move to the "go to the dungeon and find a group" style. Part of the problem with that, is that the concept for all of the dungeons (as I understand it) was creamy easy outer filling with tough insides: i.e., soloable "yard trash" so people had something to do while waiting for a group to move in and do the tough stuff. Somewhere else on this board someone pointed out directly how that was currently not the case in many dungeons.
That"s how EQII"s dungeons usually are. At the entrence is yard trash, but farther in you get to those clay giants. A named spawns and drops nice armor. That"s the core of the place, it"s really awesome.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It would actually be a cool mechanic if the crafters and other folks can set up shop at will and sell shit to people doing a dungeon. If you could do some mini building a tent or a shop, then who knows towns might be built up permanently. That would go a long way (but not near all the way) to make shit "next gen". The ability to alter the game"s landscape on a permanent level.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
It would actually be a cool mechanic if the crafters and other folks can set up shop at will and sell shit to people doing a dungeon. If you could do some mini building a tent or a shop, then who knows towns might be built up permanently. That would go a long way (but not near all the way) to make shit "next gen". The ability to alter the game"s landscape on a permanent level.
While a great idea "conceptually", the aspect of "permanance" negates the possibility. Mostly because you"d end up with as many permanent structures as there are players. Imagine 5 or 6 hundred permanent structures all littering the countryside around a dungeon. Certainly not practical. Mainly because the players creating them will inevitably move away from the area.

However, one solution would be to utilise "mobile structures" (tents, merchant stands, etc). Which after all, is what a tent is. Which opens up a whole new aspect of the game. Like crafters actually crafting and selling these mobile structures to other players who really aren"t into crafting as much as other players. Players creating "temporary mini-communities" close to thier favorite hunting areas/dungeons as they progress through level appropriate areas.

It doesn"t even have to be a highly detailed aspect of the game to add tons of gameplay appeal. Such a simple crafted thing could go a long way to adding depth and immersion to the game, as well as providing the "vertical interdependance" they desire (hire a lowbie crafter to build you a tent, or a slightly advanced crafter for a merchant stand). Done with a particular area? Pack up your tent/stand and move on.

The key though is ease of mobility.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
Sithro said:
Guys, I hate to bother you again, but...

"d3dx9.31.dll Not Found" is the error.

Anyway, thanks.
You"re running Vista, right? Fix is simple, download the latest DX9 and install it, that gives you the .dll file you need. Strange that DX10 that ships with Vista doesn"t include all the latest DX9 files, but that"s the case.

Doh, replied to this before I saw the five other poeple that beat me to it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wasn"t really clear, what I meant permanent is it"s there as long as the player uses it. 1-2 days of no use and it goes away.

RunningDog_foh

shitlord
Add crafted tents, sleeping bags, etc,., and foraging, hunting, fishing and cooking skills (which your character can engage in while offline) and give xp bonuses if your character gets a good nights sleep and eats well.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Wasn"t really clear, what I meant permanent is it"s there as long as the player uses it. 1-2 days of no use and it goes away.
Yeah, but then it just reeks of "money/time sink". Still, there need to be incentives to even using temporary structures. Like offline merchantile. You pop your stand in a temporary mini community for the night, and your character goes into merchant mode. And other little things. Perhaps a 5% experience bonus for a length of time equal to the offline mode, up to a specified and reasonable maximum. Not "rested xp" per se, but just a small incentive to actually motivate the player to actually utilise those aspects, instead of relegating them to running back to a town.

I"m curious. There was a whole discussion a while back on the official forums about utilising the "campfire" mechanic. Did that ever materialise?

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
You"re running Vista, right? Fix is simple, download the latest DX9 and install it, that gives you the .dll file you need. Strange that DX10 that ships with Vista doesn"t include all the latest DX9 files, but that"s the case.

Doh, replied to this before I saw the five other poeple that beat me to it.
No, I"m running XP, actually.

Zhakrin_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Wouldn"t this turn into the UO real estate problem where literally every square foot of ground which COULD have a house, DID have a house? I know placing a large brick was a bitch, and I was in there early.