Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Yeah my bad, I got you and another reply confused. Either way, my enjoyment of MMO"s doesn"t come from sounds and music and voices or the lack thereof. I enjoy building a character, working with others and making shit dead. If the situation I am in that best fits those criteria also subjects me to the occasional voice I don"t like.. then I can deal with it. Some people just have different tolerance levels for certain things I guess.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Either way, my enjoyment of MMO"s doesn"t come from sounds and music and voices or the lack thereof. I enjoy building a character, working with others and making shit dead. If the situation I am in that best fits those criteria also subjects me to the occasional voice I don"t like.. then I can deal with it.
I"m of the same sentiment. Especially in a quick reaction dependant environment. Live chat is unequivocally faster and more effective than text. I"d certainly rather have the most annoying voice i"ve ever heard telling me a sniper is about to dust my ass, than to hope they can type faster than the trigger can be pulled.

When you"re talking about more laid back stuff, like pve killing in a WoW group, thats another story. But for raiding, I prefer the quick voice direction over text any day. A general etiquette is expected. Like keeping a main channel clear of unnecessary chatter.

In any event, i"d expect a system based directly off a GUI text chatbox:

global text only channels for things like /ooc, /trade, and /lfg

individual guild text/voice channels

/tell type channel thats dynamically created, and can be merged with additional /tell channels for multi-user private chats

and a /raid voice channel

A drop-down interface to choose from a multitude of voice chat options. Like voice masking for RP purposes. With settings that are saved on a per character basis.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Nino said:
As objective as I can try to be...

A massive premium was placed on the "overall artistic feel and vision" of Vanguard. One way in which the large world helps, is by allowing for more gradual transitions from area to area to avoid sudden and jarring landscapes. I agree that the placement of objects and certain terrain elements looks very hard-edged. However, the "fix" for this will inevitably be a tech solution that blends seams and lines of static mesh objects in with the terrain. It would be awesome if the engine realized there was a "boulder" placed on "dirt" and created a custom mesh where the rock meets the ground that makes it appear like the rock is inset into the terrain instead of just plopped on top. The same solution for waves that need to blend more naturally into the shoreline with perhaps a slight particle foam or white water. But who knows, I am not a visual artist. I do know that the artistic vision of the game is held in very high esteem and is alive and well.
The things that you agree with are the things that drive me nuts eventually. I watch a horse run and it just seems incongruous to its surroundings...like the car in front of the blue screen in a tv sitcom...they are showing people in a car but it just doesn"t quite match the background. Same with the character models in lots of situations...plus that damn uncanny crap.

The armor looks good, the backgrounds/scenery looks good, even a lot of the character stuff looks good....its only when its all moving together that things don"t quite work...for me. For others it rocks, same for EQ2.

I honestly believe its the uncanny valley stuff more than anything else. When things start looking close to realistic you start to notice the flaws that seperate it from realistic even more. When something is stylized or you don"t have a point of reference to compare it to then you can overlook things that might drive you insane in a more realistic setting.

Essentially....the better things start to look, ie realistic, the more effort that will have to be expended to actually fit these jigsaw pieces together to avoid our minds focusing on those sections that do not work well together.

The art and overall feel of things seems well done...its just that the conjunction of differing items doesn"t occur seamlessly and things don"t mesh and I am not sure that is something that can be easily fixed in games focusing more on realistic looks.

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Gaereth said:
I honestly believe its the uncanny valley stuff more than anything else.
More than the awful texturing?

I, for one, don"t like this movement towards voice chat. My friends and I often get together and play in the same room. In the past it has always gave us a distinct advantage and now we"re just going to seem more... ordinary.

Also, RE: OMG RENDERING ENGINE FROM THE FUTURE GUYS. EQ2 still runs shittier than other games which are out and look much better. Their plan failed and they admit it. *shrug*

Sneaky_foh

shitlord
I don"t like the integration of voicechat either.

I value the fast communication, but I mislike the pointless chatter that is often pretty distracting (while you can easily blend out useless groupchat most of the time).

What I would like to see is an integrated quick voice message system that can be controlled by both hotkeys (v-v-v !!) and maybe even with voice commands, that plays pre-recorded messages that come with the game - a few voice-sets for every gender/race, plenty of options that will be expanded upon on community imput.

xmod2_foh

shitlord
xregg, can you post that shit in screenshots please.

That or link them or something.

Enough of the fucking screenshots already. jfc.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
You know, there are a couple of interesting threads discussing the difference between design and an engine"s graphical power over at Silkyvenom right now. Check em out.

Sneaky_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Agreed. They"re starting to hurt my eyes. If you want a game with good graphics, go to the Mass Effect page.

(a sample)
http://img2.kult-mag.com/photos/00/0...00735244_2.jpg
Does it look for anyone else like the characters are floating above the ground? And the shadows make no sense at all?

Like the shadows on the ground around the vehicle look like the light is coming from top right, but then shadow on the tires looks like its coming from top center/left. The shadow for the guy in the back looks like the light somewhere in front of him. The middle one has no shadow, or if it"s simply too small the light is directly above and larger than him. The way the front guy is lighted out the front of the vehicle should be all lighted up, too.

Bad example of "good graphics" imho.

Edit:

The least Xregg could do it is to make less posts but with more pictures each, instead of spreading them around and making the thread incredibly hard to read by doing so.

yeah it makes it hard reading hilarious burns on the game when every 2nd post is xregg pretending he actually has something to contribute other than high res screenshots of poser models in their plastic environment that he can"t possibly link to rather than spam the thread with

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Sneaky said:
Does it look for anyone else like the characters are floating above the ground? And the shadows make no sense at all?

Like the shadows on the ground around the vehicle look like the light is coming from top right, but then shadow on the tires looks like its coming from top center/left. The shadow for the guy in the back looks like the light somewhere in front of him. The middle one has no shadow, or if it"s simply too small the light is directly above and larger than him. The way the front guy is lighted out the front of the vehicle should be all lighted up, too.

Bad example of "good graphics" imho.
I agree with the flaws you"ve pointed out, but look at the texture work, coloring, and model design compared to xregg"s VG shots. Are you really going to try and make a case for Vanguard having better graphical design than Mass Effect?

Sneaky_foh

shitlord
No, I like the textures and the coloring. Dunno about the models, the weapon of the middle guy looks way too small to be held like that comfortably (looks more like a pistol), the weapon of the front guy is clipping into him near the arm pit. The terrain looks very edgy, etc.

It looks decent for today"s standards.

Edit:

And to answer the 2nd part of your question - no, I am not saying VG looks better than Mass Effect. Some areas might be a tossup (i.e. I think many armour textures in VG are comparable or superior to the Mass Effect Space Suits in that screenshot, even though your average computer won"t manage to run VG decently with the settings you need to show them that way). But else I can only echo what has been said countless times through many threads here and on other forums - VG looks very sterile and lifeless, unnatural (rocks planted in, etc).

Not to forget the countless clipping problems VG has, the shield"s floating behind someone"s back, etc. I wish game companies would actually -try- to make it look somewhat real, with belts, sheathes, bands or whatever is needed to attach the item to someone"s body. If you want cloaks then stash your shield somewhere else, tough luck.

I edit alot ^^

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Sneaky said:
No, I like the textures and the coloring. Dunno about the models, the weapon of the middle guy looks way too small to be held like that comfortably (looks more like a pistol), the weapon of the front guy is clipping into him near the arm pit. The terrain looks very edgy, etc.

It looks decent for today"s standards.

Edit:

And to answer the 2nd part of your question - no, I am not saying VG looks better than Mass Effect. Some areas might be a tossup (i.e. I think many armour textures in VG are comparable to the Mass Effect Space Suits in that screenshot, even though your average computer won"t manage to run VG decently with the settings you need to show them that way). But else I can only echo what has been said countless times through many threads here and on other forums - VG looks very sterile and lifeless, unnatural (rocks planted in, etc).
Yep. I pretty much agree with that...and the Vanguard armor is most likely one of the best parts of the game. Kind of a pity really. I"d love to have been a fly on the wall at their design meetings. What could they have been thinking?

xregg_foh

shitlord
I force x4 aa through the nvidia panel but outside it doesnt really look like im forcing x4. Its odd not sure if its a bug or what.

I thought I had heard Nino or someone say that they would put an anti-aliasing option in soon. Havnt heard anything about it in a while though.

xregg_foh

shitlord
Yes i hate it also they should add a dozen different options to choose from.

Also I keep tags off, but when I highlight someone the tag doesnt show. or sometimes it shows but part of it looks like its blocked so ya have to move around to see someones guild tag. It sucks when your trying to figure out whos who near you.