Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

r.gun_foh

shitlord
xregg said:
Yes i hate it also they should add a dozen different options to choose from.

Also I keep tags off, but when I highlight someone the tag doesnt show. or sometimes it shows but part of it looks like its blocked so ya have to move around to see someones guild tag. It sucks when your trying to figure out whos who near you.
Thats a common issue when you have AA enabled through your video card and not the game.

Digits_foh

shitlord
I think all attempts to say "HERES YOUR TARGET" are fucking dumb and I make sure to turn it off no matter what game I play. I can"t stand that designers think I"m so stupid that I can"t figure out what I clicked on without a giant pulsing light. EQ did it the least obnoxious way I"ve encountered with the blinking name over a targets head, but I go one step further and remove all names above npcs unless I"m targetting them. Zero confusion, zero hassle and best of all there are no obtrusive effects on my screen.

Does any experienced player even need all those name tags on everything? I figure you only need it in pvp, but even there you will very quickly learn what differentiates a class. Meh, I guess I just really fucking hate something that detracts from the graphical pleasure of a game.

Vinen

God is dead
Twobit Whore said:
I like a simple unobtrusive ring, especially when there are multiple enemies with similar names on the screen.
Enchanters in EQ1... man i remember the short time I could have a UI mod that gave the the _XX of a monster lol... made mezzing so much easier.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Does any experienced player even need all those name tags on everything? I figure you only need it in pvp, but even there you will very quickly learn what differentiates a class. Meh, I guess I just really fucking hate something that detracts from the graphical pleasure of a game.
It"s pretty useful in situations where there"s a bunch of running around involved (lots of PCs/NPCs) or just a pack or mobs that all look identical. Nothing like standing in front of something you think you"re attacking but the actual mob moved somewhere else.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Digits said:
Yeah, I always keep names off. A targeting ring is the only cue I really use. Frankly, nametags are less than useless if you"re in a large crowd and they"re overlapping each other.

r.gun_foh

shitlord
The only time I play with names on is when I am PvP"ing in WoW... I would prefer that names be disabled in PvP so people could hide, but that"s just wishful thinking and as long as joe-tauren on the other team can see my neon red name while I am hiding in the bushes I won"t turn names off because then I would be at a clear disadvantage.

tjac_foh

shitlord
Kolle said:
I"m guessing that if games reach this point they will also start including voice manipulation. You can sound like whatever you want to sound like. They could provide a list to choose from. If you play a big race then all of your voice choices would be moderately deep to very deep I suppose. If your character was a petite elf slut then you could pick from girly voices. Might as well include accent choices too. Along with this there could be a connection between what you say and how your character acts. If you type an exclamation in WoW like, "oh shit!" then your character does the ! emote. Imagine if the game could do the same thing based on voice inflection. And to take things a step further why not have real life language translation on the fly.

Not sure how well this could be pulled off, but this is the future we"re talking about. All of this would be a step forward where immersion is concerned. Everything leads to star trek holodecks tho obviously. That"s the ultimate goal here so never forget that.
I"d like that voice manipulation idea. I"d imagine it"s pretty doable, too, but it wouldn"t really solve the problem of the masses of degenerates who play -- unless they could all be forced to play ogres and orcs =p

Holodeck or Tad William"s Otherland also comes to mind.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Going to keep picture spamming, eh? Two can play at that game.

pressSS0107_03.jpg

pressSS0107_02.jpg

SS0306_21.jpg

SS0306_17.jpg

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
r.gun said:
New WoW expansion? Oh wait... no... it"s just a game trying to copy their artistic work...
Which is ripped off of the tabletop game WAR is based on. Which ripped off DnD. Which ripped off Tolkien. etc....

Yeah those shots look nice but i just can"t play it on my system. Granted it"s very average (Athlon XP 3200, 1 gig ram, 128 Geforce 6600GT overclocked) but even playing at 1024X768 i get 10-15fps on average, in crowded areas/cities i get 6fps.
Compare that with 40+fps at 1152X864 in wow and it sucks. I know my machine is a fair paperweight, but honestly, the performace blows.
I cancelled my account anyways, thankfully i was able to call San Diego on my work phone so i could cancel because i"d forgotten my answer to that stupid "where do you live" secret answer bullshit question that"s an "Added security feature".
Clicking around trying to find a loophole to avoid calling (i live in Australia), i was able to get to the credit card entry form and subscription upgrade form without any need for "security features" to ensure that it"s actually me.

Funny that huh?

Ohh and yeah, i thought playing a monk was fun. After playing a monk for a while i decided that plunging my asshole with a wood rasp dripping in acid would be fun too. Both gave me about the same amount of pleasure.

r.gun_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Which is ripped off of the tabletop game WAR is based on. Which ripped off DnD. Which ripped off Tolkien. etc....
Yes, I know. There"s no original work anymore. I just figured it had to be said what with all the "omg VG looks just like EQ2" comments that were/are flying around.

LadyVex_foh

shitlord
Vinen said:
Enchanters in EQ1... man i remember the short time I could have a UI mod that gave the the _XX of a monster lol... made mezzing so much easier.
Hah.

After being an enchanter through every expansion, nothing, and I do mean NOTHING compared to the frustration of mezzing shit in a hard mode LDoN.

Pull a vampire in M. Catacombs and you"ll get fucking 5, they"re all in close proximity, their names overlap, their appendages overlap, and with all the fucking about they do it is absolutely fucking annoying. Click one, and you might not have clicked that target, but you accidentally got the arm of another mob that was right on top of it, arg.

Mezzing on inc wasn"t difficult, but if you were quick (and you had to be even with good gear) the mobs usually ended up mezzed right on top of each other. Then began the awesome pattern of tash, slow, re-mez and repeat till all the shit was dead.

I used some enchanter mod that was really awesome. Didn"t have anything really customized, IE no extra enchanter mods, it was just highly detailed in an enchanter-esque way. The one thing I loved was the rather simple yet elegant targeting ring. Was a nice pink on the ground and very close to the body of the npc so it wasn"t all over the place.

I too turn off all names, and as long as you"re not a CC class, it"s probably fine. All melee and nukers just /assist their tank or assist target anyways, but especially in EQ1 where you had the ability to CC several targets and not just one, it was pretty invaluable. Encounters after those particular LDoN only got worse in the area of "20 mobs that come at you at once that all look alike, ok see how many you can nail down and not fuck up the mez/slow/tash timers, GO GO".

I"d agree in WoW it"s kinda lame and unnecessary, but man, if I went back to EQ 1 on my enc and the encounters were the same but no targeting ring, I"d probably reroll ranger.

Taantric_foh

shitlord

That is the stupidest most ridiculous looking gnome/halfling I have ever seen.

God those textures are ugly. Just curious - did any of the original EQ art/animation team work on VG?