Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
Xregg, put your damn pc specs in your sig or something so we can quit reading about your overpriced Dell shit in every thread you post screenies in. Sheesh.

r.gun_foh

shitlord
xregg said:
Even the screens dont really do it justice. I wish I could take some hd video and post it of some group action.
FRAPS + DivX... I"ve been playing around with some VG vids. You can make a 5 minute clip that"s decent size and quality if you have the encoder resize the width down to 480... then you can play it on dvd players too... hah

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
I understand why you want a machine like you have, but my point is that you are statistically nonexistant when it comes to what the average user has and can expect to achieve.
Which was why I asked for action shots. Because I suspected he either had a high end machine, or was cranking everything up for the screenshots. His rig is definitely above what the average gamer in todays genre has access to. At best, the "average" might be able to look forward to playing Vanguard with graphics like that in a year. Maybe. For many, maybe even two.

I don"t think building a game with future hardware in mind is generally a bad thing. But sheesh, at least TRY to stay within the realm of reality for current hardware. 5 grand? LOL..... hell, even at 4 grand Sigil can forget about my subscription dollars for a couple years at least. No way i"m mortgaging my house for a freakin" game. I don"t give a shit how casual friendly it is.

r.gun_foh

shitlord
I"ve uploaded a couple of videos I took of Vanguard to my server. They are at the settings I play on, with FPS (which isn"t shown on screen) quite a bit lower than what it really is because of Fraps running. The vids aren"t of anything, really... but show the game in motion, at least. Really all I was doing was playing with Fraps and figuring out how to compress and encode videos as I"d never done it before.

Anyways, they"re only 15mb each.

New Targonor Library
Gnome Riding a Pony

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
So yeah, spend nearly 5 grand on a computer and you too can get "decent" graphics at 40 frames per second!
I have a similar system to xregg, although not quite as high, but prefer to play on my old 4200x2,7900gt, 2gig, soundcard because I"m not used to/dont like the widescreen

Digits_foh

shitlord
Eh.

I can get my game to look as good as Xreggs shots and get 20ish frames with my 1k computer from 3 years ago. The problem with vanguard isn"t that you can"t get good visuals without killing performance, it"s that you can"t get good performance period. I can set my computer to highest performance, no clip plane and everything else you can think of and gain maybe 10 frames over getting something like Xregg. As a matter of fact, you can only set your clip plane to a certain range before you start -losing- frames and gaining hiccups from loading textures. Vanguard engine is fucked up beyond recognition as far as I"m concerned, and it seriously is what is killing the game. People will gladly suffer bugs if they don"t get stomach sickness from the game, but if I play with my options enough I can actually induce nausea and I have no idea why. I think it"s the creaking animations, such as doors, that kill my stomach.

Anywho, I really have nothing to add other than I finally understand Xreggs constant screenshot postings. I found them annoying too, before I realized he spent 5 grand on his fucking computer. Now I just nod my head when I see his posts.

holymight_foh

shitlord
Nairbog said:
I"d love to see some screens of level 35+ content (Nusibe Necropolis anyone?), keep seeing patch notes about all these places that I"ve never seen. All the 40+ players out there should post some neat screens.
Well here are two screens of us taking down "raid" bosses. Ill get some screens of rahz and city of the dead up later.

Baradak_foh

shitlord
Zignor 2 said:
It"s just beyond wrong that a ~$5k machine is required to acceptably run the game looking like xregg"s screenshots do.

And even then, it"s still not all that pretty. If you"re going to commit yourself to bleeding-edge graphics technology that renders a normal gaming PC a smoldering mess, you really need to commit yourself to some killer art direction as well. Otherwise, just don"t fucking bother. Actually, please, just stop.
I run High Quality on:

e6300 Core2Duo (not overclocked) (Can find OEM bundles for $200 mobo+Cpu, got mine for 220 with vista ultimate through intel retail edge)
2GB Crucial @ 3-3-3-12 ($200)
8800GTS 640MB ($350)
74GB raptor 10k (no effect on graphics, but helps load times) ($120)

Add case, DVD+RW, PSU, OEM copy of WinXP home or pro.

Easily done for under $1500.

Too fucking lazy to fully build your own?

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Add an 8800GTS (320MB: $~250-300, 640MB: ~$340)
And if the PSU is too weak, you can get quality 500W-700W PSUs for $100-$150 on newegg.

STILL under $1500. Shut the fuck up about the graphics being unobtainable. Fuck, you pay for all the parts and shipping, i"ll build the shit for free.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Sadly, I still haven"t seen a pic, vid, or ingame moment where everything meshed and looked good. Pieces of it look great....but together it just doesn"t seem to match.

Most of the pics look like the characters were sloppily photoshopped into the background, they float, the sense of perspective seems all wonky, etc, etc.

-shrug- I think there is some good art in there....it just doesn"t play well with others.

Samflam_foh

shitlord
His shots look decent enough, not my style but they"re alright.
What I find sad is that the only real impressive content in them is the tiny green numbers on the top corner of the screen;P

Manticore_foh

shitlord
the unit frames in that picture of the group/target, is that an ui mod? only played VG in beta and can"t remember there being an option to turn it to look sleek and functional like that

r.gun_foh

shitlord
Manticore said:
the unit frames in that picture of the group/target, is that an ui mod? only played VG in beta and can"t remember there being an option to turn it to look sleek and functional like that
It"s a custom UI. Drox UI to be specific.

xregg_foh

shitlord
Lyenae said:
Xregg"s ss suck though, no shadows wtf?
I still cringe when I think of what shadows did to my framerates in EQ2. Ive never really run Vanguard on full shadows just always figured I wouldnt get frame rates that would be playable.

Blacken {Talisman}
Flamehammer Server

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Turn shadows on 1%. No fps hit that I ever saw, but you get blobs under your feet and (most importantly) some environment shadows, which combined with never resorting to using the simple terrain option make the game a hell of a lot better looking.

r.gun said:
FRAPS + DivX... I"ve been playing around with some VG vids. You can make a 5 minute clip that"s decent size and quality if you have the encoder resize the width down to 480... then you can play it on dvd players too... hah
Would be awesome to see more player made fraps videos out there. You need a beefy machine because fraps takes away about 10fps, but you can make some pretty cool videos with it.