Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Witoubo said:
Project offset has been mentioned several times on this board and it shows some excellent examples of full screen motion blur. From both camera and object movement.

Offset - Main
Been following this for quite some time myself. I was turned onto it by a customer I did some work for about a year and a half ago, who actually knows a couple of the guys on the Offset team.Trulynext gen stuff, and could quite possibly set the genre on its ear.

I hadn"t visited the site in a while, and reading the big news about them getting publisher support was quite a surprise. But even bigger news was this tidbit from the site:

In other news,we now have a handful of licensees who are using our engine for their next gen projects. Further information will be available upon the official announcement of these games.
If that handful amounts to a mere three, the current gamespace is about to get a serious wake-up call.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Lonin said:
Adamar"s LOTRO Screenshots

These are screenshots of a game that requires roughly half the computer specs that Vanguard does. Vanguard has it"s pretty moments, but LOTRO just looks and feels far more organic, especially since you can run it at over 15fps.
Thanks for posting some better ones heh. I lost all my screenshots except a couple and the others were at night. I knew if I posted those someone would say "omgz its nite, you get more fps at nite!". Can"t win either way~

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Been following this for quite some time myself. I was turned onto it by a customer I did some work for about a year and a half ago, who actually knows a couple of the guys on the Offset team.Trulynext gen stuff, and could quite possibly set the genre on its ear.

I hadn"t visited the site in a while, and reading the big news about them getting publisher support was quite a surprise. But even bigger news was this tidbit from the site:

If that handful amounts to a mere three, the current gamespace is about to get a serious wake-up call.
Assuming it lives up to its promises, that"ll be one hell of a graphics leap. Then again, knowing the history behind these sorts of things, I believe it when I see it working. Here"s hoping they pull it out...damn that looks nice.

serrathen_foh

shitlord
kcxiv said:
I think that indicated he had both. So you dont have to tell him something he is already doing. duh.
What Brad designs cars? What a car that floats that isn"t quite ready yet, and looks more like Fred Flinstone"s car than a Delorian?

Brad lets be serious here for a moment without the spin. First you had 30 million dollars here to spend... and you wind up with this shitty game as your release product.

Now how did it come to this:

Lets harken back to the days of Sojourn (Toril) which I too played. What made that mud so fun, and last for years and years and years? The community. What community building tools does Vanguard have in its game? Very little, even back in beta we screamed for a LFG tool, things to get us together quicker (and there was only one continent at that time). Here lies Vanguards biggest problem. What little community you have now is made up of dire fanboi"s, or seeming to me to be people just looking for something different than WoW for the time being. Not only did Sojourn have that but the gameplay was second to none imho. Not only was the spell system (circles) and the actual playstyle one that kept you on the edge of your seat (unless you had a bot going ), it was one that really required a decent amount of skill and practice to use effectively.

Secondly, simply stated Vanguard was a game that promised to be 3rd generation. Again spin aside tell me what elements (besides a card game of diplomacy) is third gen? Originally there was alot of thinking outside the box, the game did play very different from what I personally was used to. It involved a combat system much more like playing MTG and really did have something, yet the combat was way to slow. So instead of modifying and fixing it, you decided to try something different. Fair enough, and the modified system (esp when global refresh was .9 seconds) was really actually kinda fun. Then only a few months from release you change everything again. Class design after class design and still the classes suck.

Lastly and more importantly all the broken promises you made, especially this one:http://www.ascensionguild.com/lotro/images/vg.jpg. Fuck man you don"t even have helms, what I am told due to resource issues (wtf man wasn"t this why you went with a single model avatar anyway?).

What really gripes my ass is the way you spin shit it sounds like George W Bush. Come clean tell the truth, be honest with your community. From what I understand the game is gonna now be changed quite considerably. What next, make it even easier than before? Its sad truly sad what has happened with this game that had so much potential... so much more can be said but ive already wasted enough of my time in Vanguard...

Instead of this:
30.jpg

You give us this:
vg.jpg

Oh forgot to add my sig:

Dink Dimbwinkle
Proud Member of Ascension
Will be playing LOTRO until Age of Conan.
Fuck Vanguards Free Experience Weekends... cause I just don"t give a fuck.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
You were hoping to hold out for another 3 years until computers required to run VG on "fun" settings were even remotely commonplace? Well, VG might have been done by that point I guess.

haha, zing!

No really folks, you kids have a great night. Be sure to tip your waitress. I"m outta here!

rinthea_foh

shitlord
lol serrathen, thats some serious jaded qqing

the high detail graphics versus low detail graphics screenshot sums your angle up nicely

serrathen_foh

shitlord
rinthea said:

the high detail graphics versus low detail graphics screenshot sums your angle up nicely
Well on my piece of shit computer I can run LOTRO on max, but nope not on Vanguard. But please post Tursh on max settings... lets see a real comparison then... and sure you can say its the style of art, well there is good art and then there is bad art.

Oh and this was directly taken from an official Vanguard screenie:
Vanguard : Saga Of Heroes - JeuxOnLine

Or for those that don"t read french:
Gameamp

Nattac_foh

shitlord
rinthea said:

Ive been in that area with high quality.. honestly still that picture has better atmosphere imo. "The top one of course hehe" BUT tursh is ghey.. Other areas in VG are alot better picture perfect =/

Filthgrinder_foh

shitlord
Damn those Lotro screens.............

I don"t care if the gameplay is on the shortbus, I REALLY want to run around in a world that looks like that. Those screens make me want to explore and adventure. Awesome environments, but the characters look like total ass. Can you first person in Lotro? or do I have to keep looking at my ass character?

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Nattac said:
Ive been in that area with high quality.. honestly still that picture has better atmosphere imo. "The top one of course hehe" BUT tursh is ghey.. Other areas in VG are alot better picture perfect =/
Yeah, I dont much like tursh either, theres plenty of far better picturesque places in VG. I"m omw home now, so I"ll get a "bells & whistles" screenshot from the same angle up soon.

serrathen_foh

shitlord
Filthgrinder said:
Damn those Lotro screens.............

I don"t care if the gameplay is on the shortbus, I REALLY want to run around in a world that looks like that. Those screens make me want to explore and adventure. Awesome environments, but the characters look like total ass. Can you first person in Lotro? or do I have to keep looking at my ass character?
Yes you can first person.

Witoubo_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:

These guys are going to be huge. I can"t imagine anyone but Carmack looking at the technical capabilities of that engine and honestly thinking to him/herself "I can do better."

If they can build out an awesome suite of tools for generating worlds, assets, effects and animations. We will have a lot of pretty games to look forward to.

Filthgrinder_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:

Unfortunately, no matter how badass the toolset and editor is, if the art talent and design talent aren"t aren"t up to snuff, anything made with that engine will still look and play like garbage. God knows with all the demo reels and resumes I"ve sifted through in the last few years looking for good people: the game industry is still very slim on high end talent and is mostly saturated with mediocrity.

Witoubo_foh

shitlord
Filthgrinder said:
Unfortunately, no matter how badass the toolset and editor is, if the art talent and design talent aren"t aren"t up to snuff, anything made with that engine will still look and play like garbage. God knows with all the demo reels and resumes I"ve sifted through in the last few years looking for good people: the game industry is still very slim on high end talent and is mostly saturated with mediocrity.
Pay more.

I wanted to work in game development. I shopped around for software development jobs with game developers and defense contractors. I got offered an internship at a defense contractor that paid more than the game dev jobs I got offers on. I spent 2 weeks as an intern and they hired me on as a full time employee and gave me a huge raise.

Granted I have limited experience (few friends that went into game developments, have since moved on). From what I"ve seen the gaming industry is terrible at recognizing and rewarding talent/effort. There is always a new crop of college grads who wanna make games and are willing to work for peanuts. Screw those noobs