Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Lhon_foh

shitlord
Slick Willey said:
/raise hand. I have more fun reading these VG threads than I ever had playing VG too. That"s pretty damm sad if you think about it . . . .
And so we finally have an answer to the original question. Why so much nerd rage? Because raging against the game is more fun than the game itself.

Reggie_foh

shitlord
I got distracted by Supreme Commander, an RTS instead.

VG was fun for a few weeks. Game design killed it for me, not the bugs.

The 2 friends that pulled me into live got sucked into SC as well.

Now I need a quad core cpu.

Come on Q2 intel prices!

Neric_foh

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:
If you think LOTR is a better game, the discussion is moot, because clearly you have shitty taste in games.

OOOH.... THE GRAPHICS!!!!!!

Too bad the gameplay in LOTR is not there, but oh well. Have fun running your hobbit around a gorgeous world lacking in gameplay.
Wasn"t graphics the main point in Brad"s advertisement concept?

The problem is that the formular "our game is so slow and needs such high specs, because our graphics are so good" got busted by LOTR. Obviously it is possible to get good graphics running on average PCs after all and we all knew that.

So what are the VG fanatics going to do in order to bust this argument? They declare that graphics don"t matter and it"s all about gameplay. Nice turnaround, but it has one minor flaw:

Vanguard gameplay isn"t too hot either....or is it?

Well, it isn"tyet, but in the future (A: The future, Conan? C: Yes, the futurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.) it will all get patched in for sure!

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Neric said:
Wasn"t graphics the main point in Brad"s advertisement concept?
At this point, it doesn"t really matter. Vanguard could have been the top notch contender they were shooting for, but they aimed entirely in the wrong direction by limiting accessibility via hardware constraints. Once LoTRo, AoC, and Warhammer, along with a select few others hit the gamespace, Vanguard is pretty much toast, along with Sigil"s dreams of 3-500k subs.

I remember Brad mentioning the potential of Sigil eventually passing the Vanguard IP off to its publisher a while back, so they could work on the next thing. So my expectation is that its quite likely we"ll see this happen toward the end of the year. Who knows? Perhaps that would be for the best.

Morderick_foh

shitlord
2bit: You should be fucking thankful that the people being negative have for the most part chosen this one thread (which was pretty much designed for this purpose from the beginning) instead of "fagging up" (as you would no doubt call it) all the other threads.
Well you have some nerves posting this. You were in ALL the VG threads since early beta bashing the game and posting shit, you like you just said, "fagging up".

As for graphics comparison, LoTR looks nice but, once again, on a 2006-2007 PC, VG with all the bells turned on and its HUGE HUGE depth of sight (you can see very very far), has nothing to be ashamed off. LoTR also uses more bright colors (ie: the green in the grass is warm and bright). Hats off to them, but Turbine always made nice engines. AC1, AC2 has nice engines as well. My beef with Turbine is that they launch and engine and then somehow hope content will appear. AC2 died because of that, it was fairly obvious.

VG is huge, yes. So even if a portion has content (which is not the case, unless you"re blind as a cave troll...), it has more content than a lot of games.

I laugh at those posts "I got to 45 and then i quit because the grind was too horrible. waaahhh". The game isn"t even out two months. I never feel the grind in VG because i actually go thru the content, doing solo quests, crafting, diplomacy, group quests, dungeon crawling, exploring. I"m not grinding mobs to get to 50 asap, bypassing it all and then amazing myself that it was "rough" and now I can"t do much. wtf.

It is a problem to get more subscriptions that the game takes a modern computer to run on. But if you have one, you are full of shit saying that this game sucks.

(and you can send those 15$ to me if you"ve enjoyed the revived drama!)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am finally unbanned.

Here is the scoop ladies and gentlemen.

People do not care about controversy, they care about someone making a good game for once. McQuaid came here, touted his shit, and then shit is exactly what everyone got. The circle jerk of grassroots came on board due to the money train of the uberguild network (which he backed out on now) and now people can finally speak their minds again without threads going to the rickshaw. Hence the massive brad posts lately, which I am sure you will see decline yet again.

This game fucking sucks. Pure and simple. The 40+ content was not in. The itemization is laughable. The only experience that Brad McQuaid and his team brought to the table was the experience that led expansion after expansion to be unfinished and horrid at launch.

Every single thing McQuaid has told you was a flat out lie. Period. MS dumped this game, just like I said they did, because they knew what was going to happen and wanted to be no where near the train wreck. They felt ashamed even partaking in the disguise in the first place. They got sold a bill of goods and the goods were buckets of ice cream that were shipped to ecuador in crates of heated plastic.

MS dumped the shit out of these guys. Yet McQuaid came here and told everyone time and time again that this game would not ship until it is ready. You call this piece of shit ready? 40+ content NOT EVEN FUCKING DONE YET? No raid content? Christ. I had a PM from someone here that admitted to that shit. Yet they still back this pile of trash.

I have never seen such a cluster fuck. This goes beyond me telling you I told you so. This goes into exactly what the hell was wrong with this project from the get go. A bunch of people who had no clue how to design a game, all under the lead of a guy who doesn"t give a fuck, who is egotisical as shit to boot, not understanding that his ideals are as old as the people he hired because they all used to play river raid together.

He could control them. That"s why he hired them.

150k? Bullshit. 50k are those that were billed after they cancelled. I would like to know exactly how many are subscribed to Vanguard itself... Because without the valuation of the all access pass, this game is going to drop faster than Anna Nicole Smith on a 4 pound pile of cocaine in hell. The fluff here, and the system specs, and all this bullshit being posted by this guy, mean absolutely jack shit because of all the techical issues that plague this piece of shit that should NOT have been released until December 2037.

This game is a joke of all jokes, and everyone with a pulse knows it.

Period.

PS: Good to be back. I cannot wait to go through McQuaid"s posts and rip them to shit and back, because I have never seen so much bullshit fluff in my life. I wouldn"t be surprised though if he never posted here again, since one of the stipulations that he came back to post was that I was banned first.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
The mental image of Utnayan slavishly hitting refresh on this board and cursing to himself that he couldn"t flame Brad on this board was amazing.

You have some very very serious psychological flaws. Do you have bullseyes with Brad"s face painted on them in your room?

kohl_foh

shitlord
Morderick said:
As for graphics comparison, LoTR looks nice but, once again, on a 2006-2007 PC, VG with all the bells turned on and its HUGE HUGE depth of sight (you can see very very far), has nothing to be ashamed off.
Yeah, but what does it have to brag about? It"s been firmly established that current working titles (LOTR, etc) can mysteriously offer a similar experience with 1/2 the hardware requirements.

Morderick said:
...it has more content than a lot of games.
Thanks for being so specific in your comparisons!

Morderick said:
I laugh at those posts "I got to 45 and then i quit because the grind was too horrible. waaahhh". The game isn"t even out two months. I never feel the grind in VG because i actually go thru the content, doing solo quests, crafting, diplomacy, group quests, dungeon crawling, exploring. I"m not grinding mobs to get to 50 asap, bypassing it all and then amazing myself that it was "rough" and now I can"t do much. wtf.
Woah!! Stop the presses! If the game has "OMFG!!11 LOTS OF CONTENT!1!ONE" then why the FUCK can"t people at max level have tons of shit to occupy them? Are people supposed to only be able to do things as noobs or as mid level, and then just re-roll?
I guess along with being Brad"s nutsack polisher, you are here to offer your sage advice to those who choose to play the game differently than yourself.

Morderick said:
It is a problem to get more subscriptions
I think you can safely just end the sentence there.

Mirran_foh

shitlord
My typical VG night goes like this at 44. I log in and check friends list. No one there and yes they use to be there. I check my guild list. Not enough my level to form a group and I joined a pre launch raid guild. I check /who lfg my level. Not enough to form a group. I solo for a hour and get 3% exp. I then say fuck this I would rather watch crickets hump. I keep thinking it will get better and people will catch up in level and 40+ content will get patched in soon but it is not happening. I"m just waiting for my subscription to run out now. Potential potential potential. I"ve heard it so much I"m sick of it.

Aphextwin_sl

shitlord
Mirran said:
My typical VG night goes like this at 44. I log in and check friends list. No one there and yes they use to be there. I check my guild list. Not enough my level to form a group and I joined a pre launch raid guild. I check /who lfg my level. Not enough to form a group. I solo for a hour and get 3% exp. I then say fuck this I would rather watch crickets hump. I keep thinking it will get better and people will catch up in level and 40+ content will get patched in soon but it is not happening. I"m just waiting for my subscription to run out now. Potential potential potential. I"ve heard it so much I"m sick of
it.
I face the same issues as you but in the 30"s level. Lately I log in at 7pm, like last night, spend 2 1/2hrs flagged LFG asking in /1 (I am in Southwatch on my warrior) and I get nothing and soloing as a warrior sure is a lesson in frustration which just adds the the overall experience. Checked my friends list, only 2 people on and they are miles away doing something else, check guild and less than 20 were on the entire night. I finally manage to hook up with 2 guildies 3 1/2hrs later and play for an hour before bed time. This is becoming the norm of late which doesn"t bode well IMHO.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Gnome Eater said:
The mental image of Utnayan slavishly hitting refresh on this board and cursing to himself that he couldn"t flame Brad on this board was amazing.

You have some very very serious psychological flaws. Do you have bullseyes with Brad"s face painted on them in your room?
Minor detail: He was right all along.

Oh, and speaking of nerd rage (except this is more like nerd-emo) - the following is from f13 (one of the Lum the Mad diaspora sites) and was posted by someone who was one of the more...enthusiastic Vanbois during beta & the first couple of weeks of live:
f13.net forums - Vanguard Round 2 - Anyone out there?
I wanted to do this since a couple of weeks. I stopped playing Vanguard. And I have to admit that I was wrong about lots of things.

So yes, I was wrong, you all (not you Geldon) were right and yeah I"ll stay grounded for the rest of the week.

I think it would be too long to list them all and explain why Vanguard ended up boring me to death, especially because many of the reasons already came up on these boards million of times turned out to be true.
I just want to point out what really killed me: the world.
Again, I was wrong: this game is NOT the explorer heaven I thought and preached it was. Because yes, as many of you said back in the days, it looks too much of the same wherever you go. It"s huge, and there are for sure Points of Interests, but what really lacks is a "change of pace". I mean, you know in other games when you are bored of a certain zone/theme and you decide to go elsewhere just to have a completely different colour palette, theme, mobs, atmosphere? This basically can"t happen in Vanguard. If you are in Thestra, that is the largest continent and it is VERY large, you will be in Thestra for the rest of your life! It doesn"t matter if you"ll go to the elven city or the dwarf/human/whatever city... it"ll be more of the same! Don"t get me wrong, New Targonor has beautiful buildings and architecture and I still thinks it"s a beautiful world after all, but it completely lacks variations.
The game has slow progression so you are forced to stay in a single place for a long time anyway, but as soon as you learn that in 10 or 20 levels it will be basically more of the same, than your will to live starts crumbling to pieces.

Hiding and going into dungeons is the only way to save yourself from the attack of the too-real world but of course you can"t go in there unless you have a good group (crappy group means endless Corpse Runs and usually some delevelling is involved too), so you are stuck to live in the usual green/brown hills killing the same old mobs for days hoping that maybe one day they"ll patch in I don"t know what maybe an alien world with some different colour or theme.

But I already wrote too much, and I"ll sum it up:

- The seamless world idea turned out to be bad to me. I enjoyed gazing to the horizon but in the end it"s best to have more foggy shortsighted old kind of worlds and more different places to visit. And I mean really different. The EQ2, EQ1, WoW.. well.. every other game"s way.

- The graphics are bad in a not-fascinating way. So after 6 weeks of playing you are not so curious anymore about what will come, because apparently nothing will come. Not in a human sized time-frame. Mobs are just awful, seriously awful. Some of them are uglier than EQ1 ones. It"s just uncanny.

- The dungeons that should give that "different theme" feeling are just, in most cases, pretty ugly. I tried all the dungeon I could try hoping that the next one could refresh my will to play and expectations of good things to come, but it basically never happened. Dungeons are ugly. To understand what I am saying just consider Befallen in EQ1 and you"ll have a dungeon that is 10 times better of any of the dungeons I visited in Vanguard in 6 weeks. Not to mention places like Unrest or Mistmoore, and I am talking about the original EQ, not EQ2 (that has incredibly good dungeons too, especially compared to VG ones). *sigh*

- It completely fails to recreate the EQ1 kind of magic in all aspects. I remember a Freeport where you could be slain by a NPC in an inn just because of some nasty ill faction stuff or just being the follower of the "wrong" god, or amazing "secret" places like the sewers with high level sunken corpses. Nothing like that is here apparently. I know it wasn"t fun to be killed at level 5 in your city by a crazy NPC, but it made for a creepy gaming experience. So far, Vanguard couldn"t surprise me save for a couple of starter quests (showing that they gave their best for the first introductory quests, and the rests is plain dull, and duller as you progress).

- The supposedly neat stuff like Diplomacy and Crafting is actually there, houses, boats.. it"s all good, but it"s not even remotely close to the "worldly" feeling of Ultima Online (an example that I guess will be fixed is the lack of a function to recall to your house. I am sure they"ll add it later, but it"s not in now) so part of their appeal is missing and the funnever really kicks in. Plus, if the world is boring you are not compelled to "live" in it.

My final note:

The game is good for a diku, and I am sure it will be even better in a couple of years thanks to improvements in all areas and especially addition of features on an already pretty solid base. But unless they put in some new ZONES with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT themes I doubt it"ll be ever able to lure me back. I don"t care how good are the special moves or combat animations in a MMO if it is unable to give me the illusion of visiting many different places or have me interested in exploring its dungeons.

I want to conclude with something I scavenged from my memory and my hard disk and I feel this is very important given that I am now convinced that it"s the "seamless" world that killed it for me, especially thinking about all the goodness you can still have in zone-based games, even better when zones borders are of the soft kind like in WoW. It"s a 2002 interview to Brad McQuaid mostly about EverQuest 1 where he said something that makes me want to kill him with a 9-iron. It"s 2002 so I guess the design documents for VG were already inked on paper and preproduction was supposedly already started:

Quote from: Brad McQuaid
"Another very important aspect of the game and a goal from day one is how immersive and vast the world is. EQ has been criticized for being zone-based (as opposed to seamless), but look at what it allowed us to do. Whereas seamless worlds, at least with today"s technology, require less detail, texture variation, and variety of objects and other points of interest, having a zone based engine allowed EQ"s world builders to create well over a hundred unique and interesting places to explore. And then it"s not just the detail in the world, but also the content in terms of NPC models, quests, items, etc. I think EQ really set the high bar there and also proved just how important depth and detail really is."

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU BRAD? ARE YOU DISCONNECTED FROM YOURSELF?! YOU TWO GO SEE A FUCKING DOCTOR, NOW!

But it"s too late I guess. I am stuck with my mistakes and the time I wasted saying stupid good things about Vanguard, a game that, as for now, is about 5 times less interesting than its predecessor.
Once again I was wrong, you were right and I am sorry. Just thought it was fair to let you know about it.

Morderick_foh

shitlord
kohl said:
Yeah, but what does it have to brag about? It"s been firmly established that current working titles (LOTR, etc) can mysteriously offer a similar experience with 1/2 the hardware requirements.
All I am saying is that VG with recent hardware looks awesome. That Turbine made a good engine requiring less power, that is a good thing for LoTR indeed. Add that they have a very well known IP, it should get a fair amount of sales. I am, however, not a fan of Turbine after playing AC1 and AC2.

There are some differences, though. When you have your clip plane to the max in VG, I"ve never seen a game where I could see so far. Should it be more optimized? I guess so. Does it run at max on my PC and looks awesome? Yes.

Thanks for being so specific in your comparisons!
I"ve already linked the 80+ dungeons ealier. Most of them are HUGE, filled with details and I am having a blast dungeon crawling in this game. That link should be specific enough. In addition, there are TONS of quests to do as well as the other spheres. I have never run out of content; in fact there is too many even on one continent (I am on Thestra) that I cannot level slow enough to see it all. There is no grind felt for me.

I an understand however, the frustration of those racing to the top and having no raid end game. Although this game was stated as 20/60/20, the "20s" are still an important part of the game.

There should be content for all levels when the game launches. But, we did have warnings that they launched too early and one would expect that the content at the higher end would be sparse. It is no excuse, I know, but seing this I have chosen to level slower and I am having a blast.

Woah!! Stop the presses! If the game has "OMFG!!11 LOTS OF CONTENT!1!ONE" then why the FUCK can"t people at max level have tons of shit to occupy them? Are people supposed to only be able to do things as noobs or as mid level, and then just re-roll?
First of all relax a bit. There IS a ton of content as I have demonstrated. 80+ dungeons, quests, etc. There is content missing at the end game. That is different from there is no content or there is little content.

Like I said above, it does suck for those racing to the top to be the uber guild and to start raiding asap, but for the majority of the players (there are what? 10-15 level 50s per servers atm??), the content is HUMONGEOUS(sp?) inside the leveling bell curve.

I guess along with being Brad"s nutsack polisher, you are here to offer your sage advice to those who choose to play the game differently than yourself.
I don"t see how i can polish Brad"s nuts seing as I live in another country. Maybe he has huge balls and they spawn the entire continent, I dunno.

But you have very little balls for not being upfront and admitting this game has a shit load of content.

I think you can safely just end the sentence there.
Yeah, seing you only read the first sentence of each posts and think you understand what was said. i guess it would acheive the same result and save time for everyone.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Missed this one:
Aphextwin said:
I face the same issues as you but in the 30"s level. Lately I log in at 7pm, like last night, spend 2 1/2hrs flagged LFG asking in /1 (I am in Southwatch on my warrior) and I get nothing and soloing as a warrior sure is a lesson in frustration which just adds the the overall experience. Checked my friends list, only 2 people on and they are miles away doing something else, check guild and less than 20 were on the entire night. I finally manage to hook up with 2 guildies 3 1/2hrs later and play for an hour before bed time. This is becoming the norm of late which doesn"t bode well IMHO.
Well, peopledidwant a return to old-school EQ - congratulations! They sodding well got it.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
Itzena said:
I don"t play Vanguard right now, I was in beta, played it, decided I didn"t like the PvE, I am holding for the launch of an item-loot PvP server and might check it out, since I absolutely want to play a non-instanced PvP game where competition for spawns will be relevant.

Everyone should make up their own mind up about the game. What is unhealthy is this obsession with Brad, this idea that you are the sole fighter and it is your duty to stand up against Brad"s PR like a modern day Don Quixote. You don"t like the game/Brad etc? Don"t play it, but this delusion of being the sole fighter against the spin is just cringe inducing.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Gnome Eater said:
Don"t play it, but this delusion of being the sole fighter against the spin is just cringe inducing.
Itzena don"t have an illusion of being a sole fighter or anything, he"s just trolling the threads. (He is actually moving between multiple forums adding gems likethis, to stir up more Vanguard nerd rage).

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
Daelos said:
Itzena don"t have an illusion of being a sole fighter or anything, he"s just trolling the threads. (He is actually moving between multiple forums adding gems likethis, to stir up more Vanguard nerd rage).
I meant Utnayan, not Itzena, sorry if that wasn"t clear.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Nah, your wrong. The problem isnt that the game is wholly awful or this that or whatever. The main problem is theres no easily accessable solo, small group content so people log in. No group, fuck it, I"ll log off then. Good, easily accessable solo content is something mmo"s need badly, VG has taught me.

Neric_foh

shitlord
Gnome Eater said:
What is unhealthy is this obsession with Brad, this idea that you are the sole fighter and it is your duty to stand up against Brad"s PR like a modern day Don Quixote.
If people would have switched on their brains instead of listening to Brad"s bullshit, he wouldn"t have been the only one (to be fair, he wasn"t the only one). Unfortunately the majority of people was dead wrong and that was hardly his fault.

Samflam_foh

shitlord
Itzena said:
Shit I better get in on this!
Prediction: Age of Conan, LOTRO and Warhammer will be released in an incomplete state.
Call me Nostra-motherfucking-damus!
But seriously, alot of people knew that VG was going to release in the state it was, it"s not rocket science. Maybe some were noisier than others, but in the end I guess it all boils down to who cares the most.