Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
Miele said:
Heh, I remember a quote from... Moorgard maybe (could be wrong) in EQ2, where he stated than nerfing is better than buffing, because nerfing requires less work compared to buffing a class and then buff all the others to be on par.

I think Blizzard made a better job here (except for warriors and maybe shamans?), because the feeling has always been "my class patch is incoming! woot!". I"ll never get why nerfs are the way to go, especially in games where feeling overpowered should be cool and fun, not be just another peon who happens to swing a sword or twiddle his thumbs to cast magic farts.

EQ2 learned this the hard way imo, once they stopped promoting the shit of "heroics are not meant to be soloed, if you can, you"ll be nerfed" and various other more specific nerfs (often totally unneeded). They did some steps in the right direction at least, although they are not perfect yet, the feeling of being powerful from the start and increasingly more powerful as you level is there to be experienced.

To hell with nerfs, really...
I understand that the game needs to be tuned and classes will undoubtedly get nerfed in the process. But some of the shit was just sweeping nerfs across the board, some like 50% reductions to shit. And this is what I have a problem with. Add to this that they are not fixing broken skills and such but just nerfing the shit out of the ones useful, just destroys the fun for me.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:
I understand that the game needs to be tuned and classes will undoubtedly get nerfed in the process. But some of the shit was just sweeping nerfs across the board, some like 50% reductions to shit. And this is what I have a problem with. Add to this that they are not fixing broken skills and such but just nerfing the shit out of the ones useful, just destroys the fun for me.
exactly, my HoT on my dsc for example went from 800ish to like 250 on one of these nerfing sprees that is over 100% (yes i suck at math and do not rememebr the exact numbers or care enough anymore to look them up)

And that was just one nerf rolled up with a huge sack of fuck you.

If it was truly that overpowered it just shows how badly the ripped us off releasing a completely untuned game.

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
I would like to see...

1)Druid ports

2)spires of some kind, like in EQ, to make travel faster but not trivial.

3) Increase the horse speed. It pains me when my Shaman can outrun a horse some dude spent a gold or two on. Horses sould be 100-200% increase in speed not the 30-100 they have now or whatever.

4)Add more quest hubs 20-40

5)Fix the dammned map to be useful

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You should probably add more players to that list. If I were still playing that would be my major gripe. Nothing worse than building up a character into the 30"s and 40"s and logging on not being able to form a group for 2 hours. That would frustrate me to no end.

But then again this game most likely won"t attract many more new players at the moment, or atleast the number required to flesh out all the servers. Maybe merge a server or two.

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
You should probably add more players to that list. If I were still playing that would be my major gripe. Nothing worse than building up a character into the 30"s and 40"s and logging on not being able to form a group for 2 hours. That would frustrate me to no end.

But then again this game most likely won"t attract many more new players at the moment, or atleast the number required to flesh out all the servers. Maybe merge a server or two.
Well I never found this to be a problem, really. But then again I wasnt leveling like dungadin and kept with the average curve.

But it sure will be a problem for future players wanting to start newbs and enjoy all the dungeon content whic will essentially mean that 80% of all the most compelling conent will be unacessible for them.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
as an example since launch I have had the following experiences:

1. My mitigation nerfed severely

2. My heals signifigantly reduced (the Hot and the melee based one) And by signifigantly we are talking halfing or more.

3. The end cost of some melee abilities raised (and some subsequently re lowered like they had no clue wtf they were doing)

4. my crit rate completely gutted from about 60% to about 7-8% (yes it was bugged and WAY too high at 60& but it was left there for a week or two, and who"s fault was that?)

5. My DPS has been nerfed 2-3 times with misleading patch notes claiming they are raising it and are only just hoping to fool the stupid and actually lowering it

5. at least 4 completely broken abilities that have never been fixed (unless done so in the last week since i stopped playing)

6. pulling with FD was totally nerfed I was able to split mobs with FD for the first few weeks of release, killing my ability to pull. (another dynamic I had brought to groups)

7. Or even more stupid shit. I log in 1 day and my horse is now 70% run speed. I think cool they raised the mount speeds this is a good thing with the huge world size. Nope... next patch is was put back to 40%. Why even let us taste shit like this, it really makes it hurt when it goes away. But every patch had stupid mistakes like this.

8. log in 1 patch and my hot has been raised in end, next patch it is lowered back down (test much? )

9. log in 1 patch and my detaunt has been raised in end cost. Log in next patch it has been lowered but it only reduces hatred by 1 point .. um 1 point? Yes i know these were mistakes but damn every damn thing is a mistake, I mean serisouly how many times can you claim you fixed the ant queen quest from renton keep without actually fixing it?

10. Being completely fucked for going goblin with only downsides and zero upsides with no mention anywhere that going evil was for masochists

this is by far not everything, just a list of the first things that popped into my head. Now individually none of them seem to bad but put them all together and every patch all i get is bugs, nerfs and supposed bug fixes that do not get fixed.

So does that seem to add up to a fun time for you? Russian roulette with every patch it seems being a DSC. Sorry I must return to games that have a plan and a clue what they are doing.

(edit)almost forgot what should have ben #1. Dying multiple times just from zoning (in a game with no supposed zones) and having no tombstone I can retrieve, and being told by customer service basically to fuck off we do not help with bugs after waiting hours!!. That was the biggest FUCK YOU I have ever had in any game in my life.

Bolero_foh

shitlord
Yes, the nerfs really suck, but what bothers me the most are the blatant bugs that they should find in 30 seconds of testing. The stance switching/blood union bug for blood mages is one of many examples. This bug resets the cooldown for stance switching whenever you gain or lose a BU point. This is amateur hour FFS. Anyone would notice this bug instantly, yet it gets patched in. We truly are their paying beta testers and it shows.

And yeah, nerfing at a time when people are quitting is questionable business sense. It is only going to speed up the cancellations.

Geaux_foh

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:
Well I never found this to be a problem, really. But then again I wasnt leveling like dungadin and kept with the average curve.

But it sure will be a problem for future players wanting to start newbs and enjoy all the dungeon content whic will essentially mean that 80% of all the most compelling conent will be unacessible for them.
thats what i never understood about VG.

a slow, group centric, leveling curve with a bunch of dungeon oriented content is supposed to support some new player 6 months after release? add in the massive size of the game and i just dont see any potential for subs to grow. even if the game gets good ala EQ2 its not going to be very friendly at all to new players until a 1-50 expansion comes out.

remember these people wont have 2 double xp weekends to push through those annoying mid lvls.

Goonsquad Officer
Bongk said:
10. Being completely fucked for going goblin with only downsides and zero upsides with no mention anywhere that going evil was for masochists
The vision lives on! Makes me nostalgic for double xp penalties for troll SK

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
PS: Good to be back. I cannot wait to go through McQuaid"s posts and rip them to shit and back, because I have never seen so much bullshit fluff in my life. I wouldn"t be surprised though if he never posted here again, since one of the stipulations that he came back to post was that I was banned first.
This kind of bugs me. I have not really seen any posts by devs in a while that offer anything useful (besides Curt and Gallenite, but they don"t seem like the kind of people who would get offended, request bans, stop posting due to hurt feelings, etc) or make them worth anything more than any other poster.

I would rather people here be able to say whatever they want without having some prima donna dev use his sway to silence them. ESPECIALLY when said dev is as worthless poster. It"s like a fucking ad you can"t adblock.

I"m just saying, if that statement is true and Brad"s request had any weight in Ut"s banning, then I have to question the moderation of these boards.

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
xmod2 said:
I"m just saying, if that statement is true and Brad"s request had any weight in Ut"s banning, then I have to question the moderation of these boards.
Money talks, bullshit...well, in this case, gets banned.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
This is why VG needs general forums. So people like Bongk have a place to qq over nerfs. Honestly, what did you expect? Balancing a completly overpowered class!? ZOMG what idiots!!11

PS can i have your stuff?

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:
Money talks, bullshit...well, in this case, gets banned.
That may work on some official forums or even Silky Venom or whatever, but not here. Hell, I don"t think tad10 should have even been banned until he went off the last couple of days begging for it. He tried to be a martyr and bring several others down with him, but it just backfired on him.

I saw nothing from Utnayan in the last few days of his posting before his ban that was even close to warranting banning. In fact he was 10x more restrained in his posting than he was months ago when he had the entire forum up in arms. Of course, Brad had his NDA to hide behind then, so he could spin freely without anyone being able to see through it.

In the end though, it was worth it and I bet even Ut would admit the comedy gold that Brad blessed us with the past few days was worth a temporary vacation.

Kylax_foh

shitlord
rinthea said:
This is why VG needs general forums. So people like Bongk have a place to qq over nerfs. Honestly, what did you expect? Balancing a completly overpowered class!? ZOMG what idiots!!11

PS can i have your stuff?
Pointing out several ongoing nerfs that didn"t get fixed the first time around because VG was "ready for release" dosen"t give the guy a right to speak his mind on a board where people discuss the ongoing changes of many mmorpgs?

Does surviving these nerfs make you that much more of a hardcore player to Vanguard?

Shut the fuck up.