Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Utnayan: why bother ripping on McQuaid? You"ve pretty much been proven right, and it"s far more amusing to watch the guy dig his own hole. There"s really nothing more to say on the subject, until he finally sells the company to SOE. (I"m betting 8 months or so)

Flight

Molten Core Raider
rinthea said:
I suppose it does. I mean seriously what do people expect? A half finished game, classes unbalanced...

People that whine about nerfs shit me.
You mean like when they removed Leap Attack from Warriors, without any kind of explanation. A 30-40% decrease in DPS without any kind of communication.

Eventually, they sent word via approved sites, that it had been removed due to a programming bug they couldn"t get right and they had higher priorities than work on it ? I shit you not - a 30% plus decrease in DPS because they had higher priorities.

That was reroll #2 for me, 2-3 weeks after release at lvl 30.

Most of my guild have turned to crafting as adventuring isnt cutting it, even though crafting is like poking yourself in the japs eye with a used needle.

So I joined in. Week before last, the whole week the crafting class choice quest was broken at lvl 11. They fixed it in last weeks patch and broke the main crafting item quests - I went and did a days faction grinding the next day to find this out. I waited a few days until they fixed this and the same patch they fixed it the crafting dev broke crafting xp reducing it by approx half : "a late night maths mistake by me last night", which he couldnt fix for a day.

WTF how does this get on live? Is there anyone in charge .. is there any quality control ?

We know the game is unfinished, theres a lot of balancing and changes to be done, but in the mean time anyone who wants to have a whine has more to go on here than SWG when that was released.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Daelos said:
Itzena don"t have an illusion of being a sole fighter or anything, he"s just trolling the threads. (He is actually moving between multiple forums adding gems likethis, to stir up more Vanguard nerd rage).
Baiting Dmitry <> trolling.

Also, to be frank, I don"t think I should be taking board etiquette lessons from someone who has 90% of their post history in Vanguard threads where they spent their time defending it against all comers. You are either an archetypical Vanboi, or the S word.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Utnayan: why bother ripping on McQuaid? You"ve pretty much been proven right, and it"s far more amusing to watch the guy dig his own hole. There"s really nothing more to say on the subject, until he finally sells the company to SOE. (I"m betting 8 months or so)
I understand the sentiment, but theres most certainly much more to be said. When developers begin to expect the consumer to compensate for thier game"s shortcomings, it needs to be exemplified right off the bat, that gamers aren"t going to stand for it. Want to build the game of the future? Fine. But you"re gonna be fucked for subs until the hardware becomes more mainstream.

Thinking back a few pages, I recall the comment Brad made about the early days of EQ, and how it had its share of problems. And I remember those days as well. I remember going out to buy a new graphics card, and another stick of memory. If I recall correctly, that piece of shit had a Celeron 233, and something like 128megs of RAM. After a $120ish expenditure, I was able to play without any issue for quite some time. Right into Luclin as I recall, which was about the same time I replaced that rig. Along with plenty of others playing EQ at the time i"m sure.

I see your expectations of Sigil are much the same as mine. I don"t think he"ll sell the company though. Hes convinced now that he has much more to prove. I do expect the Vanguard IP to be a permanent part of the SOE stable though. And likely within the timeframe you predict. The only real uncertainty is, what will they do with it?

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Rayne said:
I understand the sentiment, but theres most certainly much more to be said.
Yes there is more that could be said, but it"s not from our end. The only end that it"s coming out of is the ass end of a spin doctor.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Rayne said:
I understand the sentiment, but theres most certainly much more to be said.
Yeah, there is more to be said, I think most of us can agree on that. I think what is happening now though is that people are realizing (some not for the first time either) that no matter what is said or how you put it, things are not going to change.

- Brad is only going to answer what he wants to answer, which is frustrating for a lot of people.
- The Vanbois are going to support VG no matter what is said, and argue until they are blue in the face, or until they finally are disgusted and become the haters themselves (as many have already done).
- Brad, in his defense, is probably backed into a corner and couldn"t do different if he wanted to; all he can do is damage control.
- The changes that the doubters want to see are not going to happen overnight, they can"t be done that quickly. As such all Sigil can do is say "Just wait", which is a bitter pill for a lot of people.

Even though I know there is more to be said, when it comes to Utnayan I have to question the wisdom of him coming back to tear shit up. It isn"t that I disagree with him, it"s that if he has been banned once he might be yet again, and in the end accomplish nothing more than he has in the past - which is to be able to say "I fucking told you all what was up". People aren"t going to change their opinions based solely on what Ut or others say, and Sigil/Brad isn"t going to change anything with VG just because UT goes on the warpath.

But I imagine Utnayan will say what he wants to say no matter what, and we"ll all be able to read the fun that results.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
If what Utnayan said about his ban in true (and I assume it has to be or a mod would have removed it by now as it damns the uberguild network and the admins here also it is truly a sad day for Sigil.

This is america, the land of free speech. Until it comes to Vanguard eh? serisouly who does brad think he is?

Heres a word of advice, don"t want people pointing out the shortcoming of your game and decisions? Fix them.

You made this bed, lay in it and quit trying to convince yourself the problem is people have the wrong idea because the big bad Untnayan, 2-bit, hiram or whoever else.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Yes there is more that could be said, but it"s not from our end. The only end that it"s coming out of is the ass end of a spin doctor.
Spin away he may. But no matter how much spin he trys to put on this, his company"s problems aren"t going away anytime soon. Because its pretty obvious the genre has spoken loud and clear with thier wallets. For all its "potential", Vanguard failed to deliver on far too many points to lift itself out of this mess on its own. Recovery will be a long hard road for Vanguard, if its even attainable at this point. To sell this IP would be a formidable task in and of itself.

Never in a hundred years would I have believed that FC"s launch of AO could be toppled as the most controversial in mmo history.

Goonsquad Officer
If Utnayan really was banned because of an ultimatum from brad...that"s just gimpy as shit.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Spin away he may. But no matter how much spin he trys to put on this, his company"s problems aren"t going away anytime soon.Because its pretty obvious the genre has spoken loud and clear with thier wallets.For all its "potential", Vanguard failed to deliver on far too many points to lift itself out of this mess on its own. Recovery will be a long hard road for Vanguard, if its even attainable at this point. To sell this IP would be a formidable task in and of itself.
Exactly, and this is why I think discussion won"t take us further. I could sit back and dissect Brad"s posts one piece at a time, refuting most of his assertions, but that would have no effect on the actions of SOE and Sigil. Forums don"t usually have that sort of impact, and certainly not after the fact. Companies do need to learn that releasing a half-done product isn"t acceptable, but we can"t teach them that by preaching to them (because as sensible as many comments I"ve seen here are, they"ll ignore them). They"ll learn when their games flop. If more bad MMOs keep coming out because clever spin doctors are able to dupe VCs with promises of WoW (which I think is an anomaly, actually), then the industry itself will decline, forcing an increase in quality or just causing people to move on to the next big genre.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Erronius said:
Even though I know there is more to be said, when it comes to Utnayan I have to question the wisdom of him coming back to tear shit up. It isn"t that I disagree with him, it"s that if he has been banned once he might be yet again, and in the end accomplish nothing more than he has in the past - which is to be able to say "I fucking told you all what was up". People aren"t going to change their opinions based solely on what Ut or others say, and Sigil/Brad isn"t going to change anything with VG just because UT goes on the warpath.
The thing is, he doesn"t have to. Its already done. Nothing pounds the point home further in this genre, than gamers avoiding a specific game like the plague. To make matters even worse, national gaming magazines and cable television shows are telling gamers to stay away.

And that creates other problems. Sigil tried something different and failed. Horribly. And that sends a bad message through the genre like a shockwave. It tells future investors that MMO"s are high risk ventures, unless you have a high profile IP with a built-in following. When a massively hyped game, with immeasurable expectations takes a dive of this magnitude, it sets the genre into a backward motion. All the end user can hope for, is that the next game coming down the pike can at least stabilize it. Even if they don"t consciously realise it.

Ultimately, I think thats Utnayan"s entire point. If the end user lets shit like this slide without holding them accountable, it spells the beginning of the genre"s decline.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Exactly, and this is why I think discussion won"t take us further. I could sit back and dissect Brad"s posts one piece at a time, refuting most of his assertions, but that would have no effect on the actions of SOE and Sigil. Forums don"t usually have that sort of impact.
If true, why would brad want Utnayan banned? It has to have some effect.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Erronius said:
I almost wonder why you would even bother. You stood your ground and went tooth and claw over VG, and even though many of your assertions were correct it really didn"t change anything at all. . . ..
Actually I disagree. I was pretty much a lurker until I got caught up in the Brad/UT debates way back. Many people bashed UT tons, some of it deserved, but I always defended him since what he had to say had value. I called Brad out quite a few times here, as well as others. I and others made many predictions which have come to pass, and all of it being done so others can be more informed about the product.

Understand, this forum draws a lot of view hits by a lot of guests. Many come here just to see what is in the works. I am willing to wager that quite a few passed on the game because of these forums. And GOOD, if that was the case; because just like Utnayan I am tired of seeing crap produced, packaged and marketed down people"s throats. At least this forum draws out the bullshit and gives the viewer more information to base decisions upon.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Well Nino used to post daily and he seems MIA so maybe it did have some effect on company policy.

If i remember correctly didn"t Utnayan post that brad had offered him a job and that he had a plane ticket ready to there but his mom got sick or something? If I am wrong it is the short term memory loss from pot i blame but i think I am right.

So they tried to shut him up in other ways before. if true.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
It probably wouldn"t considering Brad likely isn"t even calling the shots anymore.
Yeah, those Penny Arcade comics a while ago summed up the situation pretty well, as far as I can tell.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Bongk said:
Well Nino used to post daily and he seems MIA so maybe it did have some effect on company policy.

If i remember correctly didn"t Utnayan post that brad had offered him a job and that he had a plane ticket ready to there but his mom got sick or something? If I am wrong it is the short term memory loss from pot i blame but i think I am right.

So they tried to shut him up in other ways before. if true.
He posted that SOE offered him a job. I don"t recall anything about Sigil in there.

holymight_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
The thing is, he doesn"t have to. Its already done. Nothing pounds the point home further in this genre, than gamers avoiding a specific game like the plague. To make matters even worse, national gaming magazines and cable television shows are telling gamers to stay away.

And that creates other problems. Sigil tried something different and failed. Horribly. And that sends a bad message through the genre like a shockwave. It tells future investors that MMO"s are high risk ventures, unless you have a high profile IP with a built-in following. When a massively hyped game, with immeasurable expectations takes a dive of this magnitude, it sets the genre into a backward motion. All the end user can hope for, is that the next game coming down the pike can at least stabilize it. Even if they don"t consciously realise it.

Ultimately, I think thats Utnayan"s entire point. If the end user lets shit like this slide without holding them accountable, it spells the beginning of the genre"s decline.
Might have failed you, but it has not failed everybody. I am having tons of fun with Vanguard. Tons of fun content to consume.