Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Whoknows said:
Damn, having Utanyan gone was the best thing this board did. Having him back simply makes this place more of a cesspool and I really hate what this place is becoming. His stupid rants and ravings only hurt the discussions. His obvious bias towards anything SOE, Sigil, and Brad is simply unwanted. If he at least tried to stay the same anal retentive person he is on other topics as well he wouldn"t be so obnoxious. Instead he"s nothing more than a dirtbag with a bone to pick because somehow someone who makes video games angered him by nerfing his sorry ass bag of EGO and so now he has a vendetta to trash everything and anything to do with that person and anything associated with currently or in the past with said person. I really think the mods here should rethink unbanning this sorry subject of a human being.

I know, I know, being a fascist and not having total control is a real downer, but hang in there.

... said:
Utnayan doesn"t so much make personal attacks on brad so much as go on personal jihads against him.
Ut"s personal "jihads" pale in comparrison to the attacks made by forum members on UT himself. I would be surprised if the ratio was less then 20 to 1. It"s okay for you knuckle draggers to beat the shit out of UT, but he"s not allowed to hit back right ?

School yarde bullyism is lame, get over it.

Alarion_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
I"d say you"re in a very small minority. I"ve got to ask: what do you like about the game. It seems to me like your standard sort of grinder (EQ/WoW style) with a few extras (houses and boats) thrown in. What do you get out of it?
While I am not the poster you are asking this question of, I thought I would chime in with a few thoughts.

First off, I participated in Beta, starting with Beta 3. After playing a bit in beta, I thought to myself; "this game has lots of bugs, is really rough around the edges - but it does have potential".

Now, I didn"t start playing on release - instead I picked it up maybe ~1 month ago due to a few friends playing.

Anyhow, what I personally like about the game:

- large world. Lots to explore and see. Yeah, it"s not like WoW where every x kilometers is a totally new environment, but it"s still quite vast and offers a lot of terrain. Makes the game feel like it is more than seperate zones (even tho WoW is seamless in the sense that there are no zoning screens, there are clearly defined zones (ie: Ungoro crater is vastly different from say, Silithus). It gives me at least, a sense of actually being in a large world. I never really got that feeling from WoW.

- lots of dungeons. I haven"t even really done much dungeon romping, but it"s nice to know I basically don"t have a set line of progression for dungeons. TO use WoW again, you pretty much go RFC (if you hit it, as horde)->WC->SFK/BFD->Gnomer->RFK->SM->etc. In VG, much like in EQ, you have several options for dungeons. At my paltry level of 18 I can go hit KE, ToLT, or ToD. I suppose there are more, but I haven"t played enough to really know what and where they all are.

- class variety. Yeah, some classes are overpowered atm. Some have been beaten to a bloody pulp with the nerfbat. However, there is a large array of classes out there. And they actually have different uses and abilities, and not just basically carbon copies of each other.

- quests. Maybe I have not gotten high enough level to see a lot of uninspired quests - but so far I have rather enjoyed them. Most are Kill quests, or fedex quests, but there are the other quests that are sort of a hybrid line, that add a little more to the game. The whole quest line from the tower near Three Rivers that has you go kill various races and then dump them in the river had me cracking up, for example.

- Crafting. Yeah yeah, I am probably one of a small handfull who actually likes this masochistic view of crafting. I like that not everyone is a fucking crafter. In WoW, *everyone* had a tradeskill that was maxed out. You could beat your dick on the keyboard for two hours and be a 300-rank crafter in any profession. No skill, no thought, just buy the mats and click the "make" button over and over.

- something new. Yeah, it still has the "something new" factor. I enjoyed EQ, back as my first MMO. I enjoy VG now, since it allows me to reminisce a bit. It also carries over some of the mechanics and such. You can kite in VG. Silly, but it always pissed me off that every MMO after EQ took the stance of "Kiting bad, mmk". Granted, it"s not on the same level - but it"s able to be done and is how some classes level mostly while soloing, from what I understand. The noninstanced dungeons, where you don"t have to form your party BEFORE you go in. You can walk in, take out some trash and talk to the people around you if you are so inclined.

Now, things I don"t like

- graphics. I like the graphics themselves - but come on. You take a engine that was originally written for the FPS market, which essentially dictates the need for "zoned" content (or maps, in the FPS world), and you modify it to basically tack all these maps together. Knowing a little bit about how the unreal engine works, I can understand why you still essentially "zone" at chunk lines. And I can appreciate the fact that passing the character from one chunk to another takes mere seconds, if that, instead of the 15-30 seconds it takes in the UT series. However, DAoC and I suppose AC/AC2 pulled off a virtually seamless world. And guess what, my fps didn"t take a nose dive into the toilet from 80+fps for no apparent reason.

- bugs. Yup, there are still plenty.

- population. Where the fuck did it go? Guess they weren"t as tolerable to the bugs and nerfing as I am.

- more bugs. There are enough still that this warrants another bullet point.

- give me my goddamn leap attack back you fuckholes

that is all.

Goonsquad Officer
The Hiram Key said:
Ut"s personal "jihads" pale in comparrison to the attacks made by forum members on UT himself. I would be surprised if the ratio was less then 20 to 1. It"s okay for you knuckle draggers to beat the shit out of UT, but he"s not allowed to hit back right ?

School yarde bullyism is lame, get over it.
I"m not trying to shit talk UT when I say that. He"s presented some good points and I don"t find him annoying really. Not any more so than anyone with a strong inclination or opinion on the FOH boards (and there are lots of them). I actualy find the anti-UT rage more anoying than anything in these vanguard threads.

Also I remember him complimenting SoE on EQ2:EoF, which was big of him to do considering the SoE bashing he"d done in the past.

I was just saying that UT has some smoldering hatred in him when he feels like directing it.

(and i still think that if he was ultimatumed off the board, that that was asstastic.)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Late to the party but damn, I just thought Utnayan had actually relaxed some. Instead he"s still the same raging psychopath. I guess he and McQuaid both prove how hard it is to change. Still, it"s lame he was banned to placate McQuaid -- he should have simply been banned because he had no self-control and was repetitive and constantly derailing threads, not as some deal.

Also, to the guy who said he had the best insults... huh? He recycles everything over and over again. Calling someone something for the fifteenth time kinda removes any burn it might have had.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
... said:
If Utnayan really was banned because of an ultimatum from brad...that"s just gimpy as shit.
Gonna have to really agree with this. Is that for real?

Requiem_foh

shitlord
Utnayan:

One great way to get banned from fohguild.org indefinately post bold-faced lies that make me look bad. Fuck you. You have the nerve to make up some wild fucking story about how you were banned because of Sigil? They won"t even talk to me. I"ve told Nino and Brad on many occassions that if there is something they want to address on fohguild.org regarding NDA-breaking material or anything else they can call me and we candiscusswhat I will do about it, but they haven"t even bothered. Hell, they can"t even seem to get into contact with me about webspace for Fires of Heaven in VG here on fohguild.org. I"ve even told you straight up in PMs that you can say whatever you want as long as there wasn"t NDA-breaking shit in your posts.

Now you come here and say that we have some sort of arrangement with Brad that he won"t post here unless you"re banned? Do you think that I even care if Brad posts here? Are you A) Retarded, B) Conceipted, or C) All of the above?

It cracks me up that you even think that Brad would come to me with that in the first place. Who the fuck do you think you are?

It pisses me off that you came here and posted that as if it were fact. And, to a MUCH lesser degree, that you would even think I"d do that.

Go ahead and try to launch one of your attacks in response to this. I"ll shut you down on every point because what you say simply is not true. It"s an easy position to argue from. And here"s a word of advice, if you don"t want me to shut down your accout as well, keep it factual if you simply cannot resist.

P.S. - My corporation has spent pretty close to 100k on the Uberguilds Network in total, and I believe we have made something like 2500 dollars to date, mostly from the period of time that the Google ads were up, which we took down because they were trashing up the network. What"s this about money?

P.P.S. - Tyen has no administrative powers over any of the Uberguilds Network except for his own sites: vanguardservers.com and wowserverforums.com. I may be missing some. Tyen find and courts potential members of the network and sends them to me.

Kasi_foh

shitlord
Misunderstanding somewhere? Maybe Ut can explain. Heh. (in the long posts months ago between Brad and Ut I was also in the support for what Ut said) Incomplete software should never be released to be paid on subscription numbers. Now maybe Ut can be a bit more relaxed about it now that he"s been proved true but we"ll have to see. (or not. lol)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You want facts? Try the fact that as soon as I was banned, McQuaid started posting here agan. Until that happened, he was no where near to be found.

More facts? Ravenn"s last PM to me before I was banned when I was being MORE than civil in any VG discussion thread. In fact, I usually just stayed out of them, until I saw more BS and would have to say something. For instance, pointing out that NONE Of the 40+ content was going to be itemized, half itemized, or just not in the game yet. Here is the PM I got after that post.

Sorry, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. I"d suggest just avoiding the VG threads.
I sent a PM back asking what the hell was going on. Now up to this point, and don"t play this game with me, you"ll lose.

From here on out I was told that the reason why McQuaid didn"t host his own forum was because of this venture. A little side cash job. If that isn"t the case, then how the hell did I get banned, and McQuaid immediately posts after I am done here in a posting PR tirade - simply because he knows full damn well Utnayan will not be here breathing down his neck calling his lies out on the carpet.

MS dumped this shitpile of a game. Not the other way around. SOE picked it up because of the all access pass - without it, this game wouldbe exactly where it should be - vaporland.

Now if you need to, go ahead and start asking who the hell at Sigil has a vested interest in shutting me up because I know too much about the entire situation they were in -- and you can start there. Until then, I am going on what I know.

Edit: And holymight, don"t start with me or I will post the PM you got from Nino.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Now if you need to, go ahead and start asking who the hell at Sigil has a vested interest in shutting me up because I know too much about the entire situation they were in -- and you can start there.Until then, I am going on what I know.
Okay, I"ll bite; who?
And as for Brad, he"s not too bright. Whether you"re here or not, him coming on these forums and trying to BS after his game"s already out (and available for all to see) isn"t going to fool anyone. Like I"ve said before, digging his own grave.

Requiem_foh

shitlord
There"s a big difference between fact and coincidence. WOW REALLY BRAD STARTED POSTING WHEN HE FOUND OUT YOU GOT BANNED?

My god, that"s almost like the birds singing when the sun rises. Communist bastards. They"ve got to be in on something.

About Ravvenn - I had a conversation with her before I made that post and asked her if there was any truth to what you are saying and made her explain to me what happened. Your banning had absolutely nothing to do with the interests of Sigil according to her. She says that you got banned because you said that we should boot every sigil guy rather than using the site to make money. While I wouldn"t have banned you for that personally, it is a fairly personal attack against this site and this network, which is so incredibly rediculous when you know what myself and the other Uberguilds Staff have gone through and spent to make this network a possibility. I type to you from the president of the corporation"s garage at the moment, for example. Why? Because I sleep here. I wasn"t involved, so it"s your word versus hers. Regardless, I made it very clear that this sort of thing will not be happening on fohguild.org, and that fohguild.org is not her or Sigil"s playground no matter who she knows and talks to.

And another side note about Tyen the "Wonder Wallet" - does this mean that you think he"s funding the Uberguilds Network? That"s as far from reality as it gets.

Obviously you"re not the most popular guy at Sigil but what does that have to do with me again? Why do you think that you"re so radioactive that Brad would approach me in the context of damaging my credibility on fohguild.org and on the Uberguilds Network over YOU? There"s 500 other retards to drown you out by posting shit along the same lines no matter where you go to discuss Vanguard, and just because you happen to be a notch above doesn"t mean that you"re extraordinary among your peers. People like you are par for the course for every MMO ever made. You think this phenominon is new to Brad of all people?

And one last thing - there"s about 50 different ways that I could start making 5 digits figure a month off of this network that are "flip of the switch" sort of solutions. Intelitext ads, punch the monkey ads, gold ads, pop-ups/unders, hell this network gets one quarter of the ad impressions that digg does according to an article I recently read, which is valued at over 60 million dollars. I could just sell the damn thing and laugh all the way to the virgin islands. So, it"s sort of a touchy subject for me when people start shitting on me and trying to make the world think that we"re a bunch of money-grubbing, self-serving, bastards. I suppose that the gamedaemons 20% uberguilds discount that I arranged for you guys instead of my commission as a reseller is further proof of our evildoing right? I do not make one cent if somebody buys a vent/ts server from gamedaemons.

dunno Utnayen throws so much mud and innuendo he will hit some truths from sheer luck/quantity. Think he"s full of it and knows nothing, just conjecture + fishing. Suppositions, suggestions and hints, not facts.

Zhakran_foh

shitlord
I"m going to preface this whole post by first stating that I really have no inside knowledge about what was going on with the whole Utnayan banning thing whatsoever; this is just my perception.

It seems obvious Req didn"t have a thing to do with it, and to be honest it seems kind of unlikely that Brad would insist one particular person be banned or else he wouldn"t post anymore.

First, Req doesn"t really give a fuck who posts or does not post. Second, Utnayan you were hardly the only one to be critical of VG. The most vocal certainly, and the most passionate probably, but lots of people were saying the game was a mess.

What I"m asking is it possible that another moderator banned you, and that in your own head you assumed it was because Brad asked them to? I"m not even going to pretend to know who each and every moderator is and which one banned or unbanned you or why. But nothing you posted indicated clearly that there was some shadowy ultimatum handed down by someone with a game to pitch.

I guess it"s possible that Brad decided to go hog wild with PR game hype posting stuff after you got banned. I don"t think it"s particularly likely, but it"s possible.

Like I said earlier, it"s just my feeling that maybe someone else decided to slap you with the ban stick because of your VG posts and Requiem just didn"t know or didn"t care about it.

It"s pretty wildly egotistical to think there would be some conspiracy to stop you from posting hate on VG threads. I for one always agreed pretty much with the points you were making, I just thought it was overkill and distracting, if pretty much dead on. It"s possible one of the moderators felt the same way, and thought it was worth a ban, and it coincided with Brad"s planned hype posting spree.

Feel free to shoot me down, as I said it"s just my feelings on the matter. From your post Utnayan you seem to THINK that"s why you were banned, but I don"t see anything to prove it. I doubt Brad was heartbroken about it, but the question I ask is this: what would anyone at FoH forums stand to possibly gain from banning you at Brad"s request? They have little to no relationship, as Req pointed out, and they don"t care if he posts here.

PS - I never even really seriously considered playing VG, thanks in large part to the exposure it got here. I just read the threads because they are damned entertaining and I was originally kinda excited when it was announced and the early SS"s were released. But that excitement faded rapidly. So for that, thank you FoH forums and Utnayan among others for saving me $50 on that bomb.

Zhakran_foh

shitlord
Well I was typing my post before Req posted his reply there....kinda makes almost the entire thing moot, and says what I was trying to get across with a lot more first hand knowledge and basically confirms everything I suspected.

So now that"s all been cleared up by someone in the know: Get the fuck over yourself, you"re unbanned now, be fucking happy and stop shitting on the place that gave you this nice soapbox to preach from.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Zhakran said:
I"m going to preface this whole post by first stating that I really have no inside knowledge about what was going on with the whole Utnayan banning thing whatsoever; this is just my perception.

It seems obvious Req didn"t have a thing to do with it, and to be honest it seems kind of unlikely that Brad would insist one particular person be banned or else he wouldn"t post anymore.

First, Req doesn"t really give a fuck who posts or does not post. Second, Utnayan you were hardly the only one to be critical of VG. The most vocal certainly, and the most passionate probably, but lots of people were saying the game was a mess.

What I"m asking is it possible that another moderator banned you, and that in your own head you assumed it was because Brad asked them to? I"m not even going to pretend to know who each and every moderator is and which one banned or unbanned you or why. But nothing you posted indicated clearly that there was some shadowy ultimatum handed down by someone with a game to pitch.

I guess it"s possible that Brad decided to go hog wild with PR game hype posting stuff after you got banned. I don"t think it"s particularly likely, but it"s possible.

Like I said earlier, it"s just my feeling that maybe someone else decided to slap you with the ban stick because of your VG posts and Requiem just didn"t know or didn"t care about it.

It"s pretty wildly egotistical to think there would be some conspiracy to stop you from posting hate on VG threads. I for one always agreed pretty much with the points you were making, I just thought it was overkill and distracting, if pretty much dead on. It"s possible one of the moderators felt the same way, and thought it was worth a ban, and it coincided with Brad"s planned hype posting spree.

Feel free to shoot me down, as I said it"s just my feelings on the matter. From your post Utnayan you seem to THINK that"s why you were banned, but I don"t see anything to prove it. I doubt Brad was heartbroken about it, but the question I ask is this: what would anyone at FoH forums stand to possibly gain from banning you at Brad"s request? They have little to no relationship, as Req pointed out, and they don"t care if he posts here.

PS - I never even really seriously considered playing VG, thanks in large part to the exposure it got here. I just read the threads because they are damned entertaining and I was originally kinda excited when it was announced and the early SS"s were released. But that excitement faded rapidly. So for that, thank you FoH forums and Utnayan among others for saving me $50 on that bomb.
There is a pretty big relationship with Sigil here. The more Brad or any dev posts here, the more people come to read the site to check out what he had to say. More people coming to the site = more ad revenue. Brad posting here = $$$

Requiem_foh

shitlord
Another thing - Brad posts on fohguild.org because of what fohguild.org has become in the last 5 years. fohguild.org is not what it is becuase Brad posts here.

There is no combination of words that Brad can post on this forum, in any language, that will change that.

And seriously, you all need to get off the money kick. I think this new round of ads I recently put up has made about 15 dollars since I put it up over a month ago. Money is not the focus of the Uberguilds Network. It exists to fly in the face of such business models. The community is the #1 priority, and always will be.

That being said, alot of good things are happening for the Uberguilds Network right now, and it should actually become revenue-positive without compromising the fundamental ideas that the network was founded under within 1 or 2 months. At that time all of the guilds with notable traffic will start receiving gamecards for all of their contributing members and points which they can spend in our store for computer hardware and whatnot. The Uberguilds Network will start sponsoring contests with considerable rewards for world firsts on mobs, and lots of good things will come from the development team we will be able to reassemble like a fully functioning global login system and a complete overhaul of the forumspy.

Wolfen_foh

shitlord
Requiem said:
And seriously, you all need to get off the money kick. I think this new round of ads I recently put up has made about 15 dollars since I did it over a month ago. Money is not the focus of the Uberguilds Network. It exists to fly in the face of such business models. The community is the #1 priority, and always will be.
Where"s my cut of that $15 for posting in the PGT? hehe j/k