Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Silky Venom was the guild that nearly all the devs play characters were in. In fact, I believe you could find a bunch of beta screenshots with Brad"s character with the tag.
Yep. I think at one point in beta they just had everyone in one guild to make communication with the devs easier (just type it in gchat). Whether the guild was founded by Sigil or everyone just gravitated to it, I don"t know.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You aren"t going to find those places. At least not that I know of.

You will however, find more developers open to discussing it at length if you befriend people in the industry that care about video games and the direction they are heading. Especially this genre specifically.

Requiem_foh

shitlord
Yep, that"s absolutely true. Here"s more what I was going for with that statement - WHY would they allow that shit to happen on silkyvenom, by far their largest affiliate site and larger than fohguild.org recently, which they supposedly have some control over, but then approach me about censorship on fohguild.org?

Furthermore, if that was the case, why in the hell would I be sitting here lying about it and why would Utnayan be able to post now?

And, re traffic:

Here"s a comparison of the relative traffic of the 5 major fan sites that came to mind first, so you can see where fohguild.org lies. It"s got the most staying power, but it"s not some gigantic clear winner since TBC came out and VG launched.

Can somebody please point to where brad had any major impact on the traffic of fohguild.org that lasted for more than a few days?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So let"s do more math here for the folks at home.

Silky Venom, which is part of the Uberguild network, was ran by Oloh, who worked for Sigil in his lawyer capacity, of which Sigil named their guild after in beta, yet have no vested interest in the network when Brad made the decision to not host the forums on his own via the company.

There isn"t a fucking roll eyes icon big enough.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
You aren"t going to find those places. At least not that I know of.

You will however, find more developers open to discussing it at length if you befriend people in the industry that care about video games and the direction they are heading. Especially this genre specifically.
Well the only people I know in the industry work for EA (poor bastards), and they don"t follow the industry all that much. Anyhow, I could care less whether you"re trolling or not, you make a good point about Sigil. Here"s a thought, if you want a really interesting reaction, I suggest you sign up over on Silky Venom...you"ll find a LOT of support over there. Seems that Vanguard is getting on a lot of people"s last nerve. Anyhow, thanks for the answer.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Requiem said:
Yep, that"s absolutely true. Here"s more what I was going for with that statement - WHY would they allow that shit to happen on silkyvenom, by far their largest affiliate site and larger than fohguild.org recently, which they supposedly have some control over, but then approach me about censorship on fohguild.org?
/tinfoil hat on

Because the people at Silkyvenom.com are comprised of almost all current Vanguard subscribers and the people who browse FoHguild.org are potential subscribers.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
/tinfoil hat on

Because the people at Silkyvenom.com are comprised of almost all current Vanguard subscribers and the people who browse FoHguild.org are potential subscribers.
At least half the people on SV don"t play the game.

Requiem_foh

shitlord
Uh. silkyvenom was DOWN because it"s webhost couldn"t handle it"s traffic until I put it on the Uberguilds Network.
I believe the exact quote was, "please help, we"re drowning!"

Then, and only then, did they decide to join.

This was _way_ after sigil had talked about their plans to shut down their public forums and do the affiliate status. _way_ after.

And, as you"ll recall, I approached you personally about EJ joining the network - Do you think that we"re not proactive on that front or what?

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
I"ve talked to Req at length numerous times about his plans for the Uberguilds network..and its pretty shitty to read Ut"s negative comments directed at him. Req has done nothing but give to this network without shit in return and he"s a great person. I had nothing against Ut as I know that this comments toward Brad have merit...but I"m going to lose respect fast after reading conspiracy remarks directed towards Req in any way, shape or form. Req has given you this soapbox you stand on Ut - and really doesn"t give a shit about you OR devs posting here at all. He doesn"t have any sort of corporate interest in Sigil and you thinking that he does is ridiculous.

Regarding Melia, she has dealt with your tirades and your shit so long - recieving tons of reports from people and being the one to deal with all that bullshit. I give her respect for how long she was able to put up with ya.

Quit the shit Ut. I like reading your posts when they"re about MMO"s and gaming - but I hate reading when all do you do is talk about yourself. =/ You have better things to say than that shit.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Fucking ban the tard again, permently this time, and get on with VG bashing. The fact he hasn"t been banned after all this just proves what he says is wrong. If they were afraid you were going to prove they were apart of this little plot to silence you, ROFLMAO talking about an egotistical cum slurping dumb fuck, then they would have just banned your ass a long time ago.

Further more what exactly have you said that was so fucking earth shattering? Absolutely nothing. You post the same tired, obvious shit over and over again. Everyone has already heard what you have to say. Why would they ban you now?

You make no fucking sense and are a complete nut job who needs to be silenced not because of some huge conspiracy against you but because you are a stupid fuck who is annoying and serves no purpose on this board but to post diatribes against Brad, SoE, and anyone having any connection to them. Get the fuck over yourself you fucking moron.

And for the LOVE OF GOD someone ban this stupid fucker once and for all. Not because of his posts against VG, Brad, or not even for his posting asinine shit about this board but just because he is so far gone that he will never able to have a constructive conversation and frankly most of us are tired of his shit.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Just a clarification on Silky Venom. It"s my understanding (having been involved in the Vanguard beta for quite some time and grouping with many SV members) that Silky Venom was an early Vanguard fansite that had several of it"s creators attend the first Fanguard. Because of this, several Silky Venom people got into the early stages of Vanguard"s beta. At that point in beta they were the only real "hardcore" active players so many Sigil developers, including Brad himself, joined Silky Venom as any easy way to communicate with the most active players.

While Silky Venom was known as the "dev guild" in beta, I believe it was stated by Oloh (or whoever the leader was) that they would be a completely different guild in release focused on raiding high-end content. Most, if not all, of the beta members of the guild would not be in the release guild. In addition to all this, by beta 2.5 most of Silky Venom had either stopped playing or didn"t really do anything when they logged on. Silky Venom as a beta guild pretty much went downhill from there and became relatively insignificant besides the occasional Brad PR spree where he took them around to take movies and screenshots (which was also done with my guild by a few Sigil developers). Hell, I know of at least one case where a Silky Venom member was banned for exploiting. That doesn"t sound like something an evil corporate conspiracy guild would do to me.

If you look at my posts earlier in this thread it"s pretty plain that I"m not a fan of Vanguard, but trying to spin this whole thing into some sort of lame crackpot conspiracy is just borderline retarded. I"ll give it to you Utnayan that you were right about Vanguard, but now you just sound like a bitter, crazy-ass motherfucker.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
I dont know. I"ve enjoyed Requiem shut him down hard lol. Pride always comes before a fall hey, and with his self proclaimed greatness after his victory of correctly bagging VG before its release, his heads right up there in the clouds.

Summary:

1. UT right about a few things from VG, due to the fact if you heap on enough shit, some of it ill stick.
2. UT head gets too big, loses a little more touch with reality
3. Conspiracy theories, wild and whacky come out
4. UT gets shut down

A ban now would only give him more credibility, as he would no longer be able to waffle on with increasing insanity.

Either way, its entertaining lol.

N?laquen_foh

shitlord
Hi folks,

Lol..."please help, we"re drowning"...haha, I remember that. That was my statement, exactly. And it was so true, too.

It is easy to generate supposition and make assumptions when you don"t have all of the details. While that suppositionmaybe a plausible scenario given your available information, it doesn"t mean it isthescenario. Given the information I have, I could just as well say Utnayan is a PR machine secretly hired by Blizzard to slander Sigil. Or better yet...hired by the secondary market industry in revenge of Sigil"s strong stance on the secondary market.

Oloh doesn"t play Vanguard, sad to say. I think I"ve seen him log on a total of once since launch. I think he lost interest in the game during beta, and for those who participated in beta prior to around beta 4, you"d know why.

But yeah, he founded both the site and the beta guild. Since he was a "friend and family" of Sigil, he was in beta very early, but he kept the guild and the site distinctly separate. (Out of necessity, really--he wrote the NDA and he wasn"t about to breach it.) I didn"t even know which of my fellow SV staff members were in beta until I got accepted myself around the end of beta 2.5.

One of Oloh"s original goals for the site and the guildpost-launch was to fill the same role that FoH did during EQ1. The site was to be the venue for the in-game hardcore guild to publish their achievements. Several things happened though, which changed things prior to that intention materializing. For one, the NDA kept the guild and the site as quite separate entities, and even now this is still true. The site staff cannot drive the direction of the guild, and the guild cannot drive the direction of the site. For two, Oloh himself lost interest before launch and so the direction of the guild and the site was left up to the then guild leader (Leto) and the site staff, respectively.

The beta guild SV is quite different than the launch guild SV. Several of the members that were in toward the end of beta are founders of the post-launch guild, but the ranks have been filled with regular players. Where the beta guild was around for testing purposes, the launch guild is meant to be a hardcore player guild (although not as hardcore as Oloh originally planned, since he is no longer its leader).

As for the site, well...I was in the role of system admin for the site up to launch. But just before launch, we experience such an explosion in load that our server was experiencing severe issues. I have a RL day job that occupies most of my time, but I"ve been able to get by during VG beta with minimal maintenance on the SV site. But the additional load was too much for both our server at the time and my ability to handle, so we started looking at our options. Since we don"t make any money at all from SV and had been paying out of pocket for our hosting, we didn"t have a lot of options available. But, one of the more viable options to us was given to us by Requiem and Tyen with the offer to host our site for free in exchange for putting their ads on our site. Frankly, had that offer not been on our table at the time, there may not be an SV site today. It was a perfect match since Requiem"s business strategy for uberguilds.org network involves hosting sites like ours (prominent, and/or high-profile gaming guilds), and Requiem"s ad policy matched ours in terms of anti-secondary market. That and Requiem has the hardware and the know-how to manage it well and I don"t.

In summary, I haven"t even talked to Oloh in the last couple of months. Everyone else who runs the site have RL day jobs that don"t involve the gaming industry at all. The guild and the site are run as separate entities. The only ties SV has with uberguilds.org is that they host our site for free (although we made it clear that SV staff would retain complete ownership and control over the site before we accepted the hosting offer), and the only ties we have with Sigil are via the affiliate program and the same contacts and interaction that all of the affiliate sites have.

Actually, I don"t think Brad is very impressed with Silky Venom anymore. haha In fact, I think he rather dislikes it because there is a lot of anti-Vanguard sentiment there (but to be fair, there is a lot of pro-Vanguard there too).

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Eh not sure about rickshaw, maybe an overall hall of fame. There were some really mind boggling posts in this thread leading to some spicy discussion.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
So Nola, we can basically conclude that UT is pretty much just paranoid heheh. And UT, you know I was always a defender of you, but back off on this one please.