Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Drednots_foh

shitlord
Hes the one who fucked up and posted here he was looking for a job with SoE and Mr. Smedley remember? I didnt make it up. The very company he loathed, hated, etc? Remember the conspiracy theories? You know the personal attacks on Smedley for years?

Now we get a job interview with him. Don"t lash out at me because your hero is full of shit. I can even agree with the rants sometimes but this got me fired up. What would really make me laugh is if this guy gets hired, moves his ass all the way to So. Cal. then after 3-6 months get shifted to a VG project. I remember the quote. Ill just quit and move back home!

In the big picture I don"t really give a shit if a game makes it or fails. I play something that interests me until i"m bored. Simple as that. And wasnt EQ2 a heaping pile of uninspired crap in the begining?

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Drednots said:
Hes the one who fucked up and posted here he was looking for a job with SoE and Mr. Smedley remember? I didnt make it up. The very company he loathed, hated, etc? Remember the conspiracy theories? You know the personal attacks on Smedley for years?

Now we get a job interview with him. Don"t lash out at me because your hero is full of shit. I can even agree with the rants sometimes but this got me fired up. What would really make me laugh is if this guy gets hired, moves his ass all the way to So. Cal. then after 3-6 months get shifted to a VG project. I remember the quote. Ill just quit and move back home!

In the big picture I don"t really give a shit if a game makes it or fails. I play something that interests me until i"m bored. Simple as that. And wasnt EQ2 a heaping pile of uninspired crap in the begining?
Yep, I remember all of that which is why I thought the end result would be hilarious if he did end up working for SOE. As for "my hero"...whose posts are you reading exactly? As for EQ2, I"ve heard it sucked, but I wasn"t playing MMOs at the time, so no idea.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Yep, I remember all of that which is why I thought the end result would be hilarious if he did end up working for SOE. As for "my hero"...whose posts are you reading exactly? As for EQ2, I"ve heard it sucked, but I wasn"t playing MMOs at the time, so no idea.
Hahahhaah, he really thought he could get a job when his job credentials are "talking a lot of shit on a messageboard" and "pretending to know insider sources"?

This is hilarious. Hell hath no fury like a spurned fanboy.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Gnome Eater said:
Hahahhaah, he really thought he could get a job when his job credentials are "talking a lot of shit on a messageboard" and "pretending to know insider sources"?

This is hilarious. Hell hath no fury like a spurned fanboy.
Well, Tigole and Furor managed to get hired by Blizzard, and I don"t think either of them were in the industry beforehand. (correct me if I"m wrong please) So bizarre as it may seem, it"s not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Drednots_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Fine I retract the hero statement. Just making clear I"m not attacking dislikes for any games or defending SoE or VG. He lost all credibility to me with his "job interview". Thats what makes all his "venom" hilarious to me.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Well, Tigole and Furor managed to get hired by Blizzard, and I don"t think either of them were in the industry beforehand. (correct me if I"m wrong please) So bizarre as it may seem, it"s not entirely outside the realm of possibility.
Tigole was the guild leader of one of the most leading edge guilds in the game, had a fantastic sense of humour, and had the fortune of playing alongside some Blizzard developers. Furor lead the top EQ guild, understood a lot more about game mechanics than many people of his time, and wrote some really good lore about World of Warcraft.

Even though Furor and Tigole did write a lot of angry rants, they had a shitload more talent than people think. Furor and Tigole got hired IN SPITE of their ranting, not because of it. People now figure the way to get hired is to nonstop rant and nerdrage and try to emulate Furor and Tigole, without any of the passion or the keen understanding and humilty that Furor and Tigole display.

You are no Furor senator.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Gnome Eater said:
Tigole was the guild leader of one of the most leading edge guilds in the game, had a fantastic sense of humour, and had the fortune of playing alongside some Blizzard developers. Furor lead the top EQ guild, understood a lot more about game mechanics than many people of his time, and wrote some really good lore about World of Warcraft.

Even though Furor and Tigole did write a lot of angry rants, they had a shitload more talent than people think. Furor and Tigole got hired IN SPITE of their ranting, not because of it. People now figure the way to get hired is to nonstop rant and nerdrage and try to emulate Furor and Tigole, without any of the passion or the keen understanding and humilty that Furor and Tigole display.

You are no Furor senator.
I see. Thanks for clarifying the situation.

Neric_foh

shitlord
Camerous said:
So... Out of all of the people here that were talking bad about VG and bashing it at every turn Brad decided he wanted to make an example of Ut? Even though the shit Ut was posting, besides the very personal attacks at Brad"s character, were the same shit a dozen other people, including yourself, were posting? See that"s it right there. He wasn"t posting anything new. He wasn"t posting anything that had not been said AT LEAST 2 dozen times.
All I am saying is that it isnotimpossible. There have been cases in the past where people were paid to shut up at shareholder meetings, so sometimes there is a certain interest to keep the bad press to a minimum.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
"Here"s today"s menu...

Egg and bacon
Egg, sausage and bacon
Egg and Vanguard bashing
Egg, bacon and Vanguard bashing
Egg, bacon, sausage and Vanguard bashing
Vanguard bashing, bacon, sausage and Vanguard bashing
Vanguard bashing, egg, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, bacon and Vanguard bashing
Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, egg, and Vanguard bashing
Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, baked beans, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing and Vanguard bashing
Lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce garnished with truffle pat?, brandy and with a fried egg on top and Vanguard bashing
Vanguard bashing, sausage, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, Vanguard bashing, bacon, Vanguard bashing, tomato and Vanguard bashing"

Oh, and Ut? I"m a "disgruntled ex-Sigil employee" and even I think you need to step away from the pipe on this whole conspiracy thing.

And just to clear up something else that"s been bugging me for months about your posts...Myself and Lawrence Poe put cloth caps on the Warders ON PURPOSE.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
Oh, and Ut? I"m a "disgruntled ex-Sigil employee" and even I think you need to step away from the pipe on this whole conspiracy thing.
Are you now? I don"t suppose you know why Sigil went with the whole "plan for the future" route in regards to graphics and the engine, then?

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Are you now? I don"t suppose you know why Sigil went with the whole "plan for the future" route in regards to graphics and the engine, then?
You know he"s not going to answer that one.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Uh Woqqqa say hello to kendrick. You may remember him from such roles as the godfather of rogues from everquest or more recently former dev/designer of vanguard. He"s a more important poster here than 10 smedley"s or 2 mcquaids. He"s in the same league as say hartsman on what"s really going down from the industry side of things. Pay attention to what he says.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Kazgrim said:
Uh Woqqqa say hello to kendrick. You may remember him from such roles as the godfather of rogues from everquest or more recently former dev/designer of vanguard. He"s a more important poster here than 10 smedley"s or 2 mcquaids. He"s in the same league as say hartsman on what"s really going down from the industry side of things. Pay attention to what he says.
I wasn"t being sarcastic...just throwing out an old question in the vain hope of getting an answer. (yes, I know he wasn"t likely to be able to answer it, but it never hurts to try...the whole VG engine thing is something I"m really interested in)

Also, hi Kendrik.

/wave

Camerous said:
Dear Retarded Dumbass,

No one cares that you think this is YOUR little shit throwing play ground.

Notice the part where it says (IF YOU REALLY WANT TO)? We really want to. Now GFTO you worthless PoS.

Thanks,

Cam
I don"t know why I bother trying to reason or use logic on someone who has specced so far down the Tad10 tree, but here goes: It"s fine if you really want to, go right ahead. Noone is telling you that you can"t, it"s part of what this forum is all about.

Where you are taking a big left turn here is in telling us that WE can"t do the other three things listed under General Discussion. Last I checked, this wasn"t your forum, you are not a moderator, you are not the "wallet", you are like me, a member of the forum / community.

Until such time as you are granted control of the website, or become a moderator, I would politely suggest that you stop telling other people what to do. Learn to check the posters name, and learn to use ignore and you will be a whole lot happier.

It also helps to have a leg to stand on when you argue, and you sir have none.

BTW, you should respec ASAP, that tree is shit.

Kendrick said:
And just to clear up something else that"s been bugging me for months about your posts...Myself and Lawrence Poe put cloth caps on the Warders ON PURPOSE.
Of course it was on purpose. No offense to you Kend, but if the content / itemization isn"t done, what the hell else are you supposed to put on the mob ? I don"t think anyone here is under the illusion it was all a big "whoops" with the cloth caps, at least not that I have seen.

It"s a whole different discussion as to WHY they were there. And I agree, Kend is just as important as Hartsman here, at least in my book. I just wish he would open up alot more and give us the real dirty dirty, perhaps when the non-compete (or whatever) clause ends we will get more.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
Aye...would love to see what Kendricke really has to say about stuff because he is..well...disgruntled and all.

As a conspiracy.....has Nino posted since Brad started posting again?? Not that Nino is Brad or anything...but that maybe he was talking with us to much?

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Neric said:
I mean theoretically speaking banning critics that can potentially endager a multi-million-dollar project isn"t that stupid of a move.

If someone spends millions to get good press, doesn"t it make sense to spend a few bucks and press a few buttons to avoid bad press?

So overall it"s not totally absurd, it"s just unlikely. I mean Watergate was unlikely also and it still happend.
Neric take the tinfoil off. Now if a dozen of the anti Brad folks were banned around the same time then you might have an argument. UT was simply not the only person bashing him. Just scroll through this thread and you will see.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
woqqa said:
I wasn"t being sarcastic...just throwing out an old question in the vain hope of getting an answer. (yes, I know he wasn"t likely to be able to answer it, but it never hurts to try...the whole VG engine thing is something I"m really interested in)

Also, hi Kendrik.

/wave
Oh, I can answer that one, but it"s pretty much the same answer Brad"s given dozens of times.

Perhaps I can put a bit more perspective on it though. EQ1 had no such expandibility, starting in Velious we had a full time engine guy trying to upgrade the Pyrotechnics engine (which 989 had already licensed for Tanarus). Some of you might remember the DX7/8 switch during that time period.

Then during Luclin development period the same guy and others tried to stretch the engine even more, with mostly mixed results. The delays waiting on this engine upgrade had aHUGEimpact on Luclin"s development, and very little of it was positive.

On top of that EQ2, Planetside, Sojourn and SWG went with ground-up new in-house engines, and the results and costs of going that route were less than impressive in 2002. EQ2"s team basically built two engines, scrapping the first and starting from scratch on what ended up being the release engine, and while SWG"s engine had a better track record, it was still costly. Coders cost a lot more than artists or designers, most of a MMO"s budget is on manpower, so building an engine in-house assuredly required more coders and coder-hours than licensing one, and withno guaranteeof good results.

So the idea of using a well built, proven engine from one of the most respected tech/game companies in the industry had serious appeal. Combine that with the facts that our lead programmer had a good relationship with Sweeny, Epic was eager to expand into the MMO market (and cut a good deal), and MSFT was excited about the engine as well, as it had always been a showcase of what a modern DX title could look like, and perhaps you can see where using the Unreal engine was a slam-dunk compared to our other alternatives in 2002.

The idea was to hit the ground running, have the awesome technical support of Sweeny and others when needed, no need to totally reinvent the wheel, and have the knowledge that Epic was going to continue to evolve the Unreal engine and wasn"t going anywhere (the Pyro engine company folded before EQ shipped if I recall the timeline correctly).

In addition to that, there were some mandates about the game...it had to be large, it had to be seamless, it had to have the fidelity to recreate Keith"s concepts in digital form, and it had to last the lifetime of the game.

Seamless/high fidelity/long lifetime, combined with Unreal"s already more than moderate tech requirements with the bells and whistles turned on had a large impact on system specs.

We were aware of that pretty early on, but we were also aware of what was going on in the hardware side of things, and felt that by the time we shipped, G70"s and R5xx cards would be mid-grade or even low-end parts, and we had hoped that constant optimizing, combined with cheap graphics muscle, decreasing RAM costs and increasing RAM sizes in machines would result in a game that was playable on a lower end machine at release, and drop dead gorgeous on a high end machine.

Icing on the cake was how well EQ1/Quake/Unreal/Tomb Raider, etc had converted 2d users to costly at the time 3d cards and RAM upgrades. This trend didn"t look to be abating, and 6 month product cycles from ATI and Nvidia and 1 year cycles from Intel and AMD sure seemed to bear that theory out.

Those predictions weren"t too far off the mark, btw, but we also made the assumption that people would be UPGRADING, because as enthusiasts, we certainly were constantly doing so. And once again, we weren"t aiming for the "mythical million subscriber MMO". WoW was just forum talk and speculation in 2002.

You may have noticed the heavy use of "we" in the above. Why? Because it was more than one person making those decisions and/or vetting them, the entire founding team subscribed to them, so while it might be trendy to put all the onus on Brad, he didn"t make the decision in a vacuum.

And hindsight is 20/20 when playing the "WoW" card and citing the relationship of their sub numbers and low system reqs.