Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
Oh, I can answer that one, but it"s pretty much the same answer Brad"s given dozens of times.

Perhaps I can put a bit more perspective on it though. EQ1 had no such expandibility, starting in Velious we had a full time engine guy trying to upgrade the Pyrotechnics engine (which 989 had already licensed for Tanarus). Some of you might remember the DX7/8 switch during that time period.

Then during Luclin development period the same guy and others tried to stretch the engine even more, with mostly mixed results. The delays waiting on this engine upgrade had aHUGEimpact on Luclin"s development, and very little of it was positive.

On top of that EQ2, Planetside, Sojourn and SWG went with ground-up new in-house engines, and the results and costs of going that route were less than impressive in 2002. EQ2"s team basically built two engines, scrapping the first and starting from scratch on what ended up being the release engine, and while SWG"s engine had a better track record, it was still costly. Coders cost a lot more than artists or designers, most of a MMO"s budget is on manpower, so building an engine in-house assuredly required more coders and coder-hours than licensing one, and withno guaranteeof good results.

So the idea of using a well built, proven engine from one of the most respected tech/game companies in the industry had serious appeal. Combine that with the facts that our lead programmer had a good relationship with Sweeny, Epic was eager to expand into the MMO market (and cut a good deal), and MSFT was excited about the engine as well, as it had always been a showcase of what a modern DX title could look like, and perhaps you can see where using the Unreal engine was a slam-dunk compared to our other alternatives in 2002.

The idea was to hit the ground running, have the awesome technical support of Sweeny and others when needed, no need to totally reinvent the wheel, and have the knowledge that Epic was going to continue to evolve the Unreal engine and wasn"t going anywhere (the Pyro engine company folded before EQ shipped if I recall the timeline correctly).

In addition to that, there were some mandates about the game...it had to be large, it had to be seamless, it had to have the fidelity to recreate Keith"s concepts in digital form, and it had to last the lifetime of the game.

Seamless/high fidelity/long lifetime, combined with Unreal"s already more than moderate tech requirements with the bells and whistles turned on had a large impact on system specs.

We were aware of that pretty early on, but we were also aware of what was going on in the hardware side of things, and felt that by the time we shipped, G70"s and R5xx cards would be mid-grade or even low-end parts, and we had hoped that constant optimizing, combined with cheap graphics muscle, decreasing RAM costs and increasing RAM sizes in machines would result in a game that was playable on a lower end machine at release, and drop dead gorgeous on a high end machine.

Icing on the cake was how well EQ1/Quake/Unreal/Tomb Raider, etc had converted 2d users to costly at the time 3d cards and RAM upgrades. This trend didn"t look to be abating, and 6 month product cycles from ATI and Nvidia and 1 year cycles from Intel and AMD sure seemed to bear that theory out.

Those predictions weren"t too far off the mark, btw, but we also made the assumption that people would be UPGRADING, because as enthusiasts, we certainly were constantly doing so. And once again, we weren"t aiming for the "mythical million subscriber MMO". WoW was just forum talk and speculation in 2002.

You may have noticed the heavy use of "we" in the above. Why? Because it was more than one person making those decisions and/or vetting them, the entire founding team subscribed to them, so while it might be trendy to put all the onus on Brad, he didn"t make the decision in a vacuum.

And hindsight is 20/20 when playing the "WoW" card and citing the relationship of their sub numbers and low system reqs.
Thanks for the answer, pretty much what I was looking for. As for Brad posting something similar, could be...I"ve not been keeping up with his posts in the dev tracker. Anyhow, that"s cleared things up a bit.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
Of course it was on purpose. No offense to you Kend, but if the content / itemization isn"t done, what the hell else are you supposed to put on the mob ? I don"t think anyone here is under the illusion it was all a big "whoops" with the cloth caps, at least not that I have seen.

It"s a whole different discussion as to WHY they were there. And I agree, Kend is just as important as Hartsman here, at least in my book. I just wish he would open up alot more and give us the real dirty dirty, perhaps when the non-compete (or whatever) clause ends we will get more.
No, it was a 3 AM, 20+ Red Bull-induced joke. We"d already made all the items to put on the Warders, and had their loot tables done. We thought it would be funny to add the Cloth Caps, and btw, the cap drops didn"t impact the regular loot drops, they were in addition to the good stuff.

Ut has cited the cloth caps several times as proof that Sleeper"s wasn"t done, and that"s simply not true. Sleeper"s was as "done" two days before release (and I didn"t even get the art assets for that zone until 6 days before release, btw).

Operations, however, didn"t GRAB the finished Sleeper"s from Test, so what was on Live for the first week or so was a rough version with placeholder mobs...mea culpa on that one, I didn"t log onto a live server to see this, so it wasn"t until Furor posted his screenshots that I knew something was wrong. 10 minutes after those shots went up, I had ops grab the correct data, and had to stand tall in Brad"s office about what went wrong. Lucky for me, the file creation/modification dates on Live showed late November.

A simple data push error was all it was, NOT a vast conspiracy headed up by the evil Smed and McQuaid to defraud the customers.

The only other changes I made to ST AFTER Velious shipped was to increase the drop rate of Primals on the named, add a NEWER unique model for the Sleeper (instead of the Yelinak model) while somebody else did the quests to trade in weapons for fist-wraps for the monks, and added the additional post-Sleeper quests in Western Wastes, and the post-Sleeper Warder replacements.

Other than that, it was done before Velious went live, the scripts did all they were ever intended to do (flavor).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Kendrick said:
And just to clear up something else that"s been bugging me for months about your posts...Myself and Lawrence Poe put cloth caps on the Warders ON PURPOSE.
Of course it was on purpose. The damn loot table wasn"t finished. The script wasn"t finished. The art for Kera wasn"t finished and was a placeholder. But worse of all, 6 months after release of the damn expansion it STILL wasn"t finished.

Everyone here already knows of the default drop when zones, mobs, or dungeons were not itemized yet. And I never said it wasn"t on purpose either. In fact, I KNOW it was on purpose and I have said this countless times.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Kendrick said:
A simple data push error was all it was, NOT a vast conspiracy to defraud the customers, headed up by the evil Smed and McQuaid.
Is that what happened with every other high end expansion too? A simple error from a data push? Planes of Power, Luclin, Sleepers, Plane of Mischief?

A red bull induced joke to put cloth caps on the most sought after area of the game? Are you fucking kidding me? And 6 months later it just so happened you "forgot" about the joke? Ester the Tester coming on board to say that cloth caps were working as intended? Remember that one? Jesus.

And yeah, those scripts worked great. A naked human pop, 3 zones crashing... breaking the 4th warder on purpose because you knew as shitfire it wasn"t done yet, it gets "Exploited" by Conquest who then proceeds to get banned because they showed the true colors of the expansion when every other Z axis exploit being done (Dain, Greig) doesn"t matter but for some reason McQuaid throws a hissy fit for this one because it finally showed a zone wasn"t complete.

Edit: Taking out the full of shit comment. Too harsh. And I am taking that out simply because I loved your design when you were working. But the facts remain that I do not believe in the slightest as to how this went down. It"s easy to pin this on an error on a data push. And that may have been believable had it not been for the artificial buff of the 4th warder, the cloth caps still dropping weeks after it was first seen, and everything else that went down with the conquest bannings as a result - when what they were doing was no different than pulling the Dain down into the cavern. Not to mention Plane of Mischief (Error on the data push there too?) How about Vex Thal? SSRA Temple. Plane of time? All those were errors in the data push too?

One occurance, believable. 15 of them, not so much.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
You may have noticed the heavy use of "we" in the above. Why? Because it was more than one person making those decisions and/or vetting them, the entire founding team subscribed to them, so while it might be trendy to put all the onus on Brad, he didn"t make the decision in a vacuum.
This is the part thats always confused me. Why would any team make the concious decision to limit its target audience? Especially when dealing with an outside publisher? Its like saying "we"re building this game for mass appeal to 5% of the total gamespace". I know Sigil wanted to make a niche game, but $30m? Sure, not exactly the budget of WoW, but a hefty sum all the same. And I would think certainly much more justifiable from a publishers perspective to a target audience of 1 million plus or more.

If Sigil made around $6-10m from box sales, they need a lot more retainage than they seem to be experiencing to recoup the difference. Assuming they can hold onto the 150k subs(?) they currently have, they"ll need those subs for at least a year just to recoup Vanguard"s development costs. And if its true that theres already an expansion in the works, that just confuses things even more. Someone, somewhere, is seeing a LOT of unjustifiable potential in Vanguard that very few others are seeing.

I just don"t see how anyone can justify expanding a game that hasn"t even paid for its initial development yet. Unless that expansion rumor is a buch of BS.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Kendrick said:
Other than that, it was done before Velious went live, the scripts did all they were ever intended to do (flavor).
Personally, I would just like to extend my thanks to whatever man put in the Holgresh Elder Beads. I paid for 5 months of rent thanks to those babies once the drop got nerfed. <3 <3 <3

Anyways...

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Rayne said:
This is the part thats always confused me. Why would any team make the concious decision to limit its target audience?
2002. They had to make a call, they had to try to predict the future - 5 years is alongtime in consumer PC hardware.

They missed the mark, but only just.

(Or do you actually think they should have designed the game for 2002 hardware?!)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Mkopec1 said:
A bit further down....
1. Sigil has nothing to do with how we mod our boards. We have never allowed what we consider excessive game bashing no matter what game it is.
Of course they are going to say that.

If you remember, a while back, Brad actually has threatened to stop posting on forums before. He said he was done here once before too if I can recall. I need to head out now, but if someone wants to dig that up, it would be cool to read.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:
A bit further down....
1. Sigil has nothing to do with how we mod our boards. We have never allowed what we consider excessive game bashing no matter what game it is.
Yeah, I don"t expect them to say anything else really. What I found interesting was "In short if you no longer play the game, or can find nothing nice to say about it anymore, then I would ask that you move on to whatever else it is that interests you." and "I would also add that we do not need everyone who quits the game to post a Good Bye/rant thread. It really does no good, and adds nothing to the forum. This goes for giving us weekly updates that you still are not going to be playing the game as well. Please confine Good Bye threads to your server forum if you feel the need to post one."

Itz is right though, those boards are full of terribles, but I have never once seen anything like this pulled. Maybe VG is just special and has taken bashing to a new level.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Daelos said:
2002. They had to make a call, they had to try to predict the future - 5 years is alongtime in consumer PC hardware.

They missed the mark, but only just.

(Or do you actually think they should have designed the game for 2002 hardware?!)
Certainly not. But what does this have to do with conciously "choosing" to target the game to an admittedly limited audience? Don"t tell me that decision was based mainly on hardware projections. This team conciously "decided" to limit the games appeal to a specific type of gamer. The hardware issues were just an unfortunate side effect that had absolutely NOTHING to do with that decision.

Thats whats confusing. Imagine you"re a major mmo publisher. You"re approached by (or you approach), a promising development team, hell bent on creating a game that has the potential of appealing to a vast percentage of the current gamespace, but they tell you "by the way, we"re building this game to appeal to .01% of those gamers".

But ok. Perhaps you believe the potential for far more exists, so you back it. The game launches, but garners far less than the projected audience, and is going to take a full year or more to recoup its development costs. And to top it off, theres an expansion in the works (supposedly).

The question is, why would any team even go down this road in the first place? It simply doesn"t make any sense.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Is that what happened with every other high end expansion too? A simple error from a data push? Planes of Power, Luclin, Sleepers, Plane of Mischief?

A red bull induced joke to put cloth caps on the most sought after area of the game? Are you fucking kidding me? And 6 months later it just so happened you "forgot" about the joke? Ester the Tester coming on board to say that cloth caps were working as intended? Remember that one? Jesus.

And yeah, those scripts worked great. A naked human pop, 3 zones crashing... breaking the 4th warder on purpose because you knew as shitfire it wasn"t done yet, it gets "Exploited" by Conquest who then proceeds to get banned because they showed the true colors of the expansion when every other Z axis exploit being done (Dain, Greig) doesn"t matter but for some reason McQuaid throws a hissy fit for this one because it finally showed a zone wasn"t complete.

Edit: Taking out the full of shit comment. Too harsh. And I am taking that out simply because I loved your design when you were working. But the facts remain that I do not believe in the slightest as to how this went down. It"s easy to pin this on an error on a data push. And that may have been believable had it not been for the artificial buff of the 4th warder, the cloth caps still dropping weeks after it was first seen, and everything else that went down with the conquest bannings as a result - when what they were doing was no different than pulling the Dain down into the cavern. Not to mention Plane of Mischief (Error on the data push there too?) How about Vex Thal? SSRA Temple. Plane of time? All those were errors in the data push too?

One occurance, believable. 15 of them, not so much.
No, you"re full of shit or something Ut. Luckily for me, I don"t work in the industry now, so I can shoot back if I feel like it.

EDIT: I see your retraction, appreciate it to a degree, but read on.

First off, with the above ad hominen out of the way, fuck you very much. I don"t think you should be banned from this board, of all places, but you"re so full of hatred and misconceptions and just fucking so wrong most of the time, you"re not doing yourself, your cause, or this board much service beyond providing fodder for 100 page threads. Believe what you want to believe, but keep in mind you weren"t there...I was.

6 months my ass, it was mid December when the proper data was pushed over...days, notmonthsafter release. Furor, Nino, et all were in the zone just as soon as they got a key, and key drops for a few people were easy enough...once again, days.

And I never forgot anything. Hell, ask Furor, or Sean, or Nino, or any other people that were actually there doing the content back in 2000/2001, I fessed up to the cloth caps stunt in person at the San Diego Fan Faire, and via email or ingame long before that. It was no great secret. They were left in because they were meant to be left in. Joke in poor taste? Probably. Mistake? Probably. Sign of unfinished content? No.

The old data had a giant human model (the default when the engine couldn"t find the model listed), the correct data had a the same model Yelinak used, and it wasn"t until January that Milo Cooper decided to build a unique model for the Sleeper...that new model was NOT part of the original plan but it sure was cool, and I was more than happy to use it.

But the very damned HOUR that Furor posted those screenshots of a "Doug" in the dome, the correct data was pushed. I"m fast, but I"m not so fast that I can repop an entire zone inside an hour.

Zones crashing just happened because there were 50 gazillion people deciding to watch what was happening when Kerafyrm went on a rampage. That was not good, but it doesn"t mean ST wasn"t finished, it meant that EQ had and always had issues with player counts in a zone.

Wanna know what the Sleeper script did? It sent Kerafyrm on a rampage though ST for 20 minutes, caused a shout to the world that Nag, Vox, a few RoS dragons, Jalidar, etc were listening for, and prompted them to say a few lines of text. When Kerafyrm depopped in ST, he moved on to Skyshrine to rampage there for a bit, and then was gone, ostensibly to chase after Veeshan herself, perhaps to return one day. After that, a new dataset was manually triggered for ST that didn"t include the Warders.

That wasit, the entire grand plan, and it worked as long as nobody dicked with the triggers. EQ"s trigger system was incredibly clunky back then, most triggers were basically invisible NPC"s that shouted invisible text that other NPC"s would listen for and react to, and a few things could be triggered on the death of an NPC. If a GM was dicking around in the zone and killed a trigger, or if for some reason the servers hiccuped and a trigger didn"t spawn, the whole chain could collapse...that was a problem for more than just the ST script.

As for Conquest, hell, I"ve talked to Conquest people after the fact (one just recently in Vanguard), and even they admitted to deliberatly exploiting (with some tips from certain other people on a different server).

It was egregious, high profile, and was trivializing content that others were actually working hard to do legit. And it wasn"t all Z-axis, there were other loopholes being exploited to pull that off as well. Banning them wasn"t me, I simply pointed out what they were doing to Jeff Butler, after getting a phone call from a GM that had been watching them that evening.

Had it been up to me, I"d have stripped them of the Warder gear they had, reset the zone, and told them to watch the bullshit. The Dain shit was handled differently, and if I recall, the designer of that zone didn"t make it a point to inform management that his content was being exploited, he just tried numerous fixes. Grieg"s exploits happened after I left, I have no idea how that was handled, though GE was my zone.

I THINK a GM took it upon himself/herself to perma-kill the 4th warder until the Conquest thing was figured out. I know nothing of the Warder data being changed, if it was, it didn"t happen while I was there.

I wanted my content to be played, not displayed like some untouchable gem. Players beating my shit was a warm fuzzy, not an attack on my ego, and I think if you look at all the content I did for EQ, you"ll see this is true.

Luclin was an unfinished pile of poo, my work included, because we didn"t have the time to finish it, we were all strung out from working too many hours, etc. No real defense on that one, other than it was a combination of errors, once again not some attempt to defraud the consumer.

I"m not a big fan of Smed, but give him credit, that man was absofuckinglutely livid at the state of the game when Luclin shipped. I spent 5 years as a grunt in the Marines, and I know a good asschewing, and Smed would have made many a crusty old NCO proud with the asschewing he handed out in the meeting right after Luclin shipped. Hardly the response of a money grubbing huckster. He gave a shit, we all gave a shit (with the possible exception of some marketing department people, but take that with a grain of salt, EVERYONE hated SOE"s marketing and their "tude and mandates).

PoM? That zone was not finished, and wasn"t supposed to be entered by players until it was, until somebody leaked the way to get in. The employee in charge of that zone had moved to another team, and the replacement employee ended up being let go a few months later for non-performance in general, if that matters at all to you. Everyone else was just too busy working on their own zones to spend any time trying to fix "somebody else"s problem", and we"d already been down that route with ToFS and Siren"s in Velious.

PoP? No fucking clue, I left before that expansion was more than a concept name.

And that"s enough derailing of a Vanguard thread with old EQ trivia.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Certainly not. But what does this have to do with conciously "choosing" to target the game to an admittedly limited audience? Don"t tell me that decision was based mainly on hardware projections. This team conciously "decided" to limit the games appeal to a specific type of gamer. The hardware issues were just an unfortunate side effect that had absolutely NOTHING to do with that decision.

Thats whats confusing. Imagine you"re a major mmo publisher. You"re approached by (or you approach), a promising development team, hell bent on creating a game that has the potential of appealing to a vast percentage of the current gamespace, but they tell you "by the way, we"re building this game to appeal to .01% of those gamers".

But ok. Perhaps you believe the potential for far more exists, so you back it. The game launches, but garners far less than the projected audience, and is going to take a full year or more to recoup its development costs. And to top it off, theres an expansion in the works (supposedly).

The question is, why would any team even go down this road in the first place? It simply doesn"t make any sense.
Remember, our "gamespace" back in 2002 was the 400k-600k EQ/DAoC/AC1/AO players. And that gamespace had shown it was more than willing to pony up for hardware upgrades in the past. EQ1 sold a lot of Voodoo and Riva cards and tons of P3"s and P4"s and monitors, Luclin sold a lot of RAM

As for an expansion, I know nothing of this, but the plan was ALWAYS to have an expansion ready inside the first year of release, because, well, it puts a new SKU on the shelves, it allows you to put some more dollars in the bank, and it keeps the subscribers subscribing, and our plans for the game were much bigger than even the over-reaching release they went with covered.

Nothing sinster about that, it"s a proven business model, and helps fund the growth of the game and keeps employees employed and interested too.

The trick is to not gut the live team in the process, and I"m pretty sure Sigil knows this.

Throag_foh

shitlord
What is sad is that even after such a post, Utnayan will still deny everything pretending that HE knows better than those people who were working on that back then.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
Remember, our "gamespace" back in 2002 was the 400k-600k EQ/DAoC/AC1/AO players. And that gamespace had shown it was more than willing to pony up for hardware upgrades in the past. EQ1 sold a lot of Voodoo and Riva cards and tons of P3"s and P4"s and monitors, Luclin sold a lot of RAM
Right. And thats certainly understandable. But I don"t understand why the directive never changed with the advent of WoW. Surely Sigil must have had some inclination that the projections of 250-300k initial subs might be jeapordised. Yet they remained relatively firm in the belief that thier current philosophies were sufficient to sustain the game after launch. I know they made, and are still considering "some" changes to widen its appeal. They were pretty obvious.

It just seems to me that in the past 4+ years, much more meaningful alterations would have been made to offset WoW"s coming, and subsequent current existence.

I guess I just don"t understand why any team would intentionally shoot for less than "everyone we can get, for as long as we can get em".