Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Jedite_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
No, you"re full of shit or something Ut. Luckily for me, I don"t work in the industry now, so I can shoot back if I feel like it.

EDIT: I see your retraction, appreciate it to a degree, but read on.

First off, with the above ad hominen out of the way, fuck you very much. I don"t think you should be banned from this board, of all places, but you"re so full of hatred and misconceptions and just fucking so wrong most of the time, you"re not doing yourself, your cause, or this board much service beyond providing fodder for 100 page threads. Believe what you want to believe, but keep in mind you weren"t there...I was.

6 months my ass, it was mid December when the proper data was pushed over...days, notmonthsafter release. Furor, Nino, et all were in the zone just as soon as they got a key, and key drops for a few people were easy enough...once again, days.

And I never forgot anything. Hell, ask Furor, or Sean, or Nino, or any other people that were actually there doing the content back in 2000/2001, I fessed up to the cloth caps stunt in person at the San Diego Fan Faire, and via email or ingame long before that. It was no great secret. They were left in because they were meant to be left in. Joke in poor taste? Probably. Mistake? Probably. Sign of unfinished content? No.

The old data had a giant human model (the default when the engine couldn"t find the model listed), the correct data had a the same model Yelinak used, and it wasn"t until January that Milo Cooper decided to build a unique model for the Sleeper...that new model was NOT part of the original plan but it sure was cool, and I was more than happy to use it.

But the very damned HOUR that Furor posted those screenshots of a "Doug" in the dome, the correct data was pushed. I"m fast, but I"m not so fast that I can repop an entire zone inside an hour.

Zones crashing just happened because there were 50 gazillion people deciding to watch what was happening when Kerafyrm went on a rampage. That was not good, but it doesn"t mean ST wasn"t finished, it meant that EQ had and always had issues with player counts in a zone.

Wanna know what the Sleeper script did? It sent Kerafyrm on a rampage though ST for 20 minutes, caused a shout to the world that Nag, Vox, a few RoS dragons, Jalidar, etc were listening for, and prompted them to say a few lines of text. When Kerafyrm depopped in ST, he moved on to Skyshrine to rampage there for a bit, and then was gone, ostensibly to chase after Veeshan herself, perhaps to return one day. After that, a new dataset was manually triggered for ST that didn"t include the Warders.

That wasit, the entire grand plan, and it worked as long as nobody dicked with the triggers. EQ"s trigger system was incredibly clunky back then, most triggers were basically invisible NPC"s that shouted invisible text that other NPC"s would listen for and react to, and a few things could be triggered on the death of an NPC. If a GM was dicking around in the zone and killed a trigger, or if for some reason the servers hiccuped and a trigger didn"t spawn, the whole chain could collapse...that was a problem for more than just the ST script.

As for Conquest, hell, I"ve talked to Conquest people after the fact (one just recently in Vanguard), and even they admitted to deliberatly exploiting (with some tips from certain other people on a different server).

It was egregious, high profile, and was trivializing content that others were actually working hard to do legit. And it wasn"t all Z-axis, there were other loopholes being exploited to pull that off as well. Banning them wasn"t me, I simply pointed out what they were doing to Jeff Butler, after getting a phone call from a GM that had been watching them that evening.

Had it been up to me, I"d have stripped them of the Warder gear they had, reset the zone, and told them to watch the bullshit. The Dain shit was handled differently, and if I recall, the designer of that zone didn"t make it a point to inform management that his content was being exploited, he just tried numerous fixes. Grieg"s exploits happened after I left, I have no idea how that was handled, though GE was my zone.

I THINK a GM took it upon himself/herself to perma-kill the 4th warder until the Conquest thing was figured out. I know nothing of the Warder data being changed, if it was, it didn"t happen while I was there.

I wanted my content to be played, not displayed like some untouchable gem. Players beating my shit was a warm fuzzy, not an attack on my ego, and I think if you look at all the content I did for EQ, you"ll see this is true.

Luclin was an unfinished pile of poo, my work included, because we didn"t have the time to finish it, we were all strung out from working too many hours, etc. No real defense on that one, other than it was a combination of errors, once again not some attempt to defraud the consumer.

I"m not a big fan of Smed, but give him credit, that man was absofuckinglutely livid at the state of the game when Luclin shipped. I spent 5 years as a grunt in the Marines, and I know a good asschewing, and Smed would have made many a crusty old NCO proud with the asschewing he handed out in the meeting right after Luclin shipped. Hardly the response of a money grubbing huckster. He gave a shit, we all gave a shit (with the possible exception of some marketing department people, but take that with a grain of salt, EVERYONE hated SOE"s marketing and their "tude and mandates).

PoM? That zone was not finished, and wasn"t supposed to be entered by players until it was, until somebody leaked the way to get in. The employee in charge of that zone had moved to another team, and the replacement employee ended up being let go a few months later for non-performance in general, if that matters at all to you. Everyone else was just too busy working on their own zones to spend any time trying to fix "somebody else"s problem", and we"d already been down that route with ToFS and Siren"s in Velious.

PoP? No fucking clue, I left before that expansion was more than a concept name.

And that"s enough derailing of a Vanguard thread with old EQ trivia.

I have to say... That was a great fucking post Ken. Being one of the first ppl to hit PoM and discover some of the gear there I have to say I was trully disapointed in what happend with that zone. IMO it had the highest potential of being something totally new and different in everquest, but like you said it was unfinished and left to die.
T
This is the first time I have read anything that explained the clusterfuck that was PoM and I guess i can rest a little easier now lol.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
If nothing else, Utnayan does evoke some of the more interesting posts from present/past dev posters. The closest thing Brad has ever had to a constructive/non-spin laden post was when he tore into Ut, and now Kendrick is raging. Makes for great reads instead of the "Meet Kendrick, Kendrick likes to fish, eat cheeseballs and goof around!" meet the developers posts we normally see splattered across gaming sites.

Tis a good day to be evil. <3

Deris_foh

shitlord
More posting from Kendrick about EQ1 please .

Was there ever a SK Fiery Avenger type quest planned?

What the hell was Ekim Nottap for?

DONT LEAVE ME HANGIN" DEVIL.

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Right. And thats certainly understandable. But I don"t understand why the directive never changed with the advent of WoW. Surely Sigil must have had some inclination that the projections of 250-300k initial subs might be jeapordised. Yet they remained relatively firm in the belief that thier current philosophies were sufficient to sustain the game after launch. I know they made, and are still considering "some" changes to widen its appeal. They were pretty obvious.

It just seems to me that in the past 4+ years, much more meaningful alterations would have been made to offset WoW"s coming, and subsequent current existence.

I guess I just don"t understand why any team would intentionally shoot for less than "everyone we can get, for as long as we can get em".
WoW shipped 2.5yearsafter we went into production. Even if we WANTED to emulate WoW"s system reqs, that"s 2.5 years of artwork production thrown out the window, 2.5 years of engine tweaking thrown out the window, etc. You can"t reverse course easily in a multi-year project.

Gameplay changes are much, much easier, and contrary to popular belief, many of the "WoW-ified" ideas you may be seeing in VG now were being debated as early as 2002, and were always on the table as an option. WoW just provided more strength for some of those debates.

Kasi_foh

shitlord
Perhaps that is Utnayan"s master plan? Get the involved people so pissed off that they have to come out and straight up address his points, which is something that"s hard to do with devs.

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
WoW shipped 2.5yearsafter we went into production. Even if we WANTED to emulate WoW"s system reqs, that"s 2.5 years of artwork production thrown out the window, 2.5 years of engine tweaking thrown out the window, etc. You can"t reverse course easily in a multi-year project.

Gameplay changes are much, much easier, and contrary to popular belief, many of the "WoW-ified" ideas you may be seeing in VG now were being debated as early as 2002, and were always on the table as an option. WoW just provided more strength for some of those debates.
So you do work for Sigil? Just curious what you do there? And if i may be so bold...what"s coming down the pipe for the endgame? Are non-raiders mainly going to be dungeon farming (single group dungeons) for better gear, or will it be something different? Is there just going to be single raid mobs in the overland across telon, or is there going to be full tier raid dungeons?

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
I understand the decision to stick with hardware constraints. Some things just couldn"t feasibly be undone. Theres no need to keep rehashing the hardware issue. I really do understand.

What I can"t understand, is why more of the gameplay philosophies weren"t re-evaluated in light of WoW"s wild success. Its not like it wasn"t immediate. So why didn"t Sigil see that as a highly potential red flag, and implement more of the alternative ideas that were being pondered? It was 2 years ago after all. To further compound that, WoW has experienced massive and steady growth since then. According to some sources, it garners as much as 60% of the entire market. Surely adjustments could have been made to reinsure that Vanguard at least reached its target projections?

What I can"t understand is why they weren"t.

Sure, Sigil was pushed into an early release. I can certainly sympathise with the problems that arose from that. But theres really no excuse for completely ignoring that the competition, thats been in existence for 2 years, is about to hand you your ass, and doing very little about it.

I see both sides of the coin. And the changes they"re making now, along with changes i"m pretty certain they will be making, should have been more seriously "forethought". But, whats done is done I guess. And I hope Sigil can turn this around. The last thing this genre needs is yet another "problem riddled" game.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Kendrick said:
No, you"re full of shit or something Ut. Luckily for me, I don"t work in the industry now, so I can shoot back if I feel like it.

First off, with the above ad hominen out of the way, fuck you very much. I don"t think you should be banned from this board, of all places, but you"re so full of hatred and misconceptions and just fucking so wrong most of the time, you"re not doing yourself, your cause, or this board much service beyond providing fodder for 100 page threads. Believe what you want to believe, but keep in mind you weren"t there...I was.

6 months my ass, it was mid December when the proper data was pushed over...days, notmonthsafter release. Furor, Nino, et all were in the zone just as soon as they got a key, and key drops for a few people were easy enough...once aga in, days.

And I never forgot anything. Hell, ask Furor, or Sean, or Nino, or any other people that were actually there doing the content back in 2000/2001, I fessed up to the cloth caps stunt in person at the San Diego Fan Faire, and via email or ingame long before that. It was no great secret. They were left in because they were meant to be left in. Joke in poor taste? Probably. Mistake? Probably. Sign of unfinished content? No.

The old data had a giant human model (the default when the engine couldn"t find the model listed), the correct data had a the same model Yelinak used, and it wasn"t until January that Milo Cooper decided to build a unique model for the Sleeper...that new model was NOT part of the original plan but it sure was cool, and I was more than happy to use it.

But the very damned HOUR that Furor posted those screenshots of a "Doug" in the dome, the correct data was pushed. I"m fast, but I"m not so fast that I can repop an entire zone inside an hour.

Zones crashing just happened because there were 50 gazillion people deciding to watch what was happening when Kerafyrm went on a rampage. That was not good, but it doesn"t mean ST wasn"t finished, it meant that EQ had and always had issues with player counts in a zone.

Wanna know what the Sleeper script did? It sent Kerafyrm on a rampage though ST for 20 minutes, caused a shout to the world that Nag, Vox, a few RoS dragons, Jalidar, etc were listening for, and prompted them to say a few lines of text. When Kerafyrm depopped in ST, he moved on to Skyshrine to rampage there for a bit, and then was gone, ostensibly to chase after Veeshan herself, perhaps to return one day. After that, a new dataset was manually triggered for ST that didn"t include the Warders.

That wasit, the entire grand plan, and it worked as long as nobody dicked with the triggers. EQ"s trigger system was incredibly clunky back then, most triggers were basically invisible NPC"s that shouted invisible text that other NPC"s would listen for and react to, and a few things could be triggered on the death of an NPC. If a GM was dicking around in the zone and killed a trigger, or if for some reason the servers hiccuped and a trigger didn"t spawn, the whole chain could collapse...that was a problem for more than just the ST script.

As for Conquest, hell, I"ve talked to Conquest people after the fact (one just recently in Vanguard), and even they admitted to deliberatly exploiting (with some tips from certain other people on a different server).

It was egregious, high profile, and was trivializing content that others were actually working hard to do legit. And it wasn"t all Z-axis, there were other loopholes being exploited to pull that off as well. Banning them wasn"t me, I simply pointed out what they were doing to Jeff Butler, after getting a phone call from a GM that had been watching them that evening.

Had it been up to me, I"d have stripped them of the Warder gear they had, reset the zone, and told them to watch the bullshit. The Dain shit was handled differently, and if I recall, the designer of that zone didn"t make it a point to inform management that his content was being exploited, he just tried numerous fixes. Grieg"s exploits happened after I left, I have no idea how that was handled, though GE was my zone.

I THINK a GM took it upon himself/herself to perma-kill the 4th warder until the Conquest thing was figured out. I know nothing of the Warder data being changed, if it was, it didn"t happen while I was there.

I wanted my content to be played, not displayed like some untouchable gem. Players beating my shit was a warm fuzzy, not an attack on my ego, and I think if you look at all the content I did for EQ, you"ll see this is true.

Luclin was an unfinished pile of poo, my work included, because we didn"t have the time to finish it, we were all strung out from working too many hours, etc. No real defense on that one, other than it was a combination of errors, once again not some attempt to defraud the consumer.

I"m not a big fan of Smed, but give him credit, that man was absofuckinglutely livid at the state of the game when Luclin shipped. I spent 5 years as a grunt in the Marines, and I know a good asschewing, and Smed would have made many a crusty old NCO proud with the asschewing he handed out in the meeting right after Luclin shipped. Hardly the response of a money grubbing huckster. He gave a shit, we all gave a shit (with the possible exception of some marketing department people, but take that with a grain of salt, EVERYONE hated SOE"s marketing and their "tude and mandates).

PoM? That zone was not finished, and wasn"t supposed to be entered by players until it was, until somebody leaked the way to get in. The employee in charge of that zone had moved to another team, and the replacement employee ended up being let go a few months later for non-performance in general, if that matters at all to you. Everyone else was just too busy working on their own zones to spend any time trying to fix "somebody else"s problem", and we"d already been down that route with ToFS and Siren"s in Velious.

PoP? No fucking clue, I left before that expansion was more than a concept name.

Way to prove you are full of crap or at least get your information from unreliable sources. I was there when the Sleeper stuff went down. There were two things we used there. We used geometry to block an AE. Which makes complete sense in a roleplay aspect. It was a tactic used from Nagafen and everyone was using it without and complaints. The second thing used was leaving res effects on people because it prevented the debuff from sticking. One debuff for another. It wasn"t exactly an exploit. EQ had tons of stacking issues and buffs were always used accordingly. So I don"t know what else you were told but thats all there was to it.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
You don"t think using the slow from rez to prevent the slow from the 4th warder AoE was an exploit? I mean it was brilliant, but it was really really borderline.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Kendrick said:
Can you really blame people for thinking the things they do? By your own admission, 3 expansions in a row were "unfinished" while the PR coming from SOE was that everything was hunky-dory and working as intended. It"s not a hard stretch to go from PoP (rathe council-PoTime) to Luclin (about half of it) to Velious (PoM-ST).. so maybe one of the many things was an "inside joke", but how the hell are people supposed to get that when all they see is a naked human and cloth caps?

Kendrick_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
I understand the decision to stick with hardware constraints. Some things just couldn"t feasibly be undone. Theres no need to keep rehashing the hardware issue. I really do understand.

What I can"t understand, is why more of the gameplay philosophies weren"t re-evaluated in light of WoW"s wild success. Its not like it wasn"t immediate. So why didn"t Sigil see that as a highly potential red flag, and implement more of the alternative ideas that were being pondered? It was 2 years ago after all. To further compound that, WoW has experienced massive and steady growth since then. According to some sources, it garners as much as 60% of the entire market. Surely adjustments could have been made to reinsure that Vanguard at least reached its target projections?

What I can"t understand is why they weren"t.

Sure, Sigil was pushed into an early release. I can certainly sympathise with the problems that arose from that. But theres really no excuse for completely ignoring that the competition, thats been in existence for 2 years, is about to hand you your ass, and doing very little about it.

I see both sides of the coin. And the changes they"re making now, along with changes i"m pretty certain they will be making, should have been more seriously "forethought". But, whats done is done I guess. And I hope Sigil can turn this around. The last thing this genre needs is yet another "problem riddled" game.
You"re making the assumption that WoW was ever viewed as direct competition. Same general market, yes, same clientele, not necessarily. And going after the biggest possible market at the expense of all else isn"t always a good idea.

That concept seems to escape a lot of people for some reason. Not a dig on you, not a snub on WoW, just stating a fact.

You"re also making the assumption that the day WoW released, we INSTANTLY knew it would have 8 million subs and decent retention. All we knew was that a lot of boxes were sold...meaningful retention numbers take time, so add another 6 months to a year to "reaction time" at a minimum.

Anecdotal evidence is a poor thing to use when considering revamping an entire game concept, and anecdotes were all we had until mid-late 2005, and even then/now it was unclear what the churn rate was for WoW, etc.

Not to mention WoW wasn"t/isn"t perfect, for every idea some say we should have "borrowed" from WoW, there"s somebody else that hates it. Can"t please everybody, so sometimes it"s good to try to pick those you CAN please and stick with it as much as possible.

And finally, we were making a gamewewanted to play long-term. Money is great, but anyone besides a few CEO"s who think they"re going to get rich from making an MMO is in the wrong line of work.

I should mention that Brad was ALREADY rich, but he never planned on EQ making him rich, he and others just wanted to make the game they wanted to play, and Vanguard was just another shot at that goal.

So, Step 3 was never the biggest step in our plan, and we thought we had some pretty fun ideas for what to do with the underwear in Step 2.

And one more interjection here...game design, and gameplay preferences, are more akin to religion than science. Telling a Taoist he should change his religion to be more like Catholicism or Islam because those religions are obviously more successful in terms of subscribers won"t carry much weight with the fervent Taoist, will it?

Nattac_foh

shitlord
Kendrick said:
And one more interjection here...game design, and gameplay preferences, are more akin to religion than science. Telling a Taoist he should change his religion to be more like Catholicism or Islam because those religions are obviously more successful in terms of subscribers won"t carry much weight with the fervent Taoist, will it?
LOL wtf.. had to post my LOL sorry ><

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
There isn"t much to discuss about VG at this point. It failed to delliver, a few people continue to enjoy gaming with friends in a new world despite, life moves on.
This is my favorite line of this entire thread.

Well except Kendrick saying "fuck you" to Ut, that was pretty $$.

Kendrick said:

6 months my ass, it was mid December when the proper data was pushed over...days, notmonthsafter release. Furor, Nino, et all were in the zone just as soon as they got a key, and key drops for a few people were easy enough...once again, days.

Best post by an official (or semi official) "somebody from the gaming industry on this forum in the last year. All the rest of you Dev guys take note, and update your act accordingly (not you Scotty!).

More posts like this one, where we aren"t being spun, aren"t being lied to, and aren"t being convinced to "buy my game yo" on this forum, and you would see a lot less negative traffic overall.

Kend: Thanks for clearing up the cloth caps, I was always under the impression it wasn"t finished, you earn alot of points for that, truly.

Hachima said:
Way to prove you are full of crap or at least get your information from unreliable sources. I was there when the Sleeper stuff went down. There were two things we used there. We used geometry to block an AE. Which makes complete sense in a roleplay aspect. It was a tactic used from Nagafen and everyone was using it without and complaints. The second thing used was leaving res effects on people because it prevented the debuff from sticking. One debuff for another. It wasn"t exactly an exploit. EQ had tons of stacking issues and buffs were always used accordingly. So I don"t know what else you were told but thats all there was to it.
If you are talking about the Conquest stuff, I was under the impression they were using the bridge to summon aggroed clerics underneath where the mobs couldnt get at them (for a second) and the COHing them to 2 feet away to clear agro.

Can anyone clarify ?

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I think a big mistake was Brad"s philosophy on what makes MMOs fail. He said "A tendency to believe that making a game easier and more "accessible" is good for retention (when in reality it is more often bad ? people want a challenge and they end up enjoying a game that is kept that way)."

I think making some of the game easy will draw more players. WoW has shown that there are a lot of people out there that just want to messa round and not get into raiding or anything.

The problem is choosing where to draw the line on what is "easy." Wow drew that line extremely low for the low to mid level range in WoW which was a key element in making it so popular. At the same time there is high end content that is challenging for those that are up to it.

As time goes on I think Brad/Sigil has realized this though and continues to make the game more accessible to more people. Like this last exp boost made the 45+ game exp 2x as fast. So it"s just a matter of determining where you want to draw the line at on difficulty. So I think that is what is going on now with the recent game changes.

The game still isn"t ever going to be as easy as WoW but as a gamer that"s not a problem to me. Numbers are far from determining the quality of anything really. McDonald"s sells the most hamburgers, are they the best? No, but they are cheap/easy to get. Is Ferrari the most sold car? No but it sure doesn"t suck.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Hachima said:
The game still isn"t ever going to be as easy as WoW but as a gamer that"s not a problem to me. Numbers are far from determining the quality of anything really. McDonald"s sells the most hamburgers, are they the best? No, but they are cheap/easy to get. Is Ferrari the most sold car? No but it sure doesn"t suck.
Yeah, but you can actually make a good case for World of Warcraft being the best MMO on the market...not so with McDonald"s and food. Personally, I"d say EVE is the best, but I"m not a huge fan of flying around in space.

Maxxius said:
Yeah but I like reading this shit, keep it coming lol.
We all like reading stuff like that. Someone in the know, without their corporate spin hat on, talking to us like we are real people, and not looking at us like we are dollar signs to be won.

As I said above, more of that and this would be quite the different forum.