Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You can also buy a larger battery for the gamepad, cheap Nintendo of course left more room in there for a larger battery.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Stopped at Walmart on a whim and they actually still had a Nyko Uboost in stock so I picked that up rather than pay Nintendo $40 for the bigger battery (and wait for slow ass ground shipping due to the new regulations on batteries in 2017). It was only $20, I don't really notice the extra weight, and it's supposed to add another ~10 hours between charges according to reviews.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I grabbed a used one through Amazon last night, if it really doubles the life that would be great and I think the weight will actually help with the cheap lightweight plastic feel of the gamepad.

I finally finished up and everything works like a charm except for a couple of hitches. Hyrule Warriors would lock up with the dlc installed, but redownloding it did the trick, and TMS is kicking back an error when trying to install it after patching it with the Restoration patch, I'm sure I fucked up somewhere considering it was the last thing I messed with after spending all day setting this up.

Protip for anyone planning to do this, don't cheap out on the SD card, get as big and fast as you can afford. The constant swapping from PC to console just sucks with a 64gb card.

Vorph

Did you repack TMS#FE using -encryptKeyWith <Wii U common key> ?

And yeah, it was kind of annoying to use the 64GB SD, but in the end it worked out ok and I've got everything I want installed. If you need to get a new card for the Wii U I'd say buy a 128GB, but if you have a 64GB laying around and want to save some money it will work fine (as long as it's Class 10/UHS-I).

One thing that didn't occur to me until the very end is that you can probably pop out the SD card while at the WUP Installer menu and replace the files in the install directory with different games, then put it back in and keep going. Should save the time required to shut down/restart/reload Mocha CFW over and over. It just requires you to have downloaded everything you want to install ahead of time, which leads to another tip: if you buy a Wii U, go ahead and download everything you want from uTikDownloadHelper now so you have all the files ready to go on your PC when the console arrives.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Did you repack TMS#FE using -encryptKeyWith <Wii U common key> ?

And yeah, it was kind of annoying to use the 64GB SD, but in the end it worked out ok and I've got everything I want installed. If you need to get a new card for the Wii U I'd say buy a 128GB, but if you have a 64GB laying around and want to save some money it will work fine (as long as it's Class 10/UHS-I).

One thing that didn't occur to me until the very end is that you can probably pop out the SD card while at the WUP Installer menu and replace the files in the install directory with different games, then put it back in and keep going. Should save the time required to shut down/restart/reload Mocha CFW over and over. It just requires you to have downloaded everything you want to install ahead of time, which leads to another tip: if you buy a Wii U, go ahead and download everything you want from uTikDownloadHelper now so you have all the files ready to go on your PC when the console arrives.

I did but I'm not sure if I have the wrong key or if I was just tired and screwed up somewhere in the process. And, yes, downloading everything ahead of time would have made the process so much better, I wish I had known I could do that ahead of time.

spronk

FPS noob
i thought about just downloading the japanese version of that game since it has some extra dlc stuff i think that isn't in the NA/Euro version, but dunno if the jpn version has english subtitles

Vorph

I think the only thing actually missing is the Hot Springs DLC which is basically just four cutscenes that you can find on YouTube and swimsuit costumes for each character. Eng subs aren't possible in the JP version, so it's definitely not worth the bother.

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
New 3ds firmware breaks the hack. If you were on the fence should do it before performing a system upgrade.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
spronk spronk Vorph Vorph Did you guys install loadiine? In the walkthrough it says to extract the loadiine wiiu folder into the root of your SD card, but the loadiine zip file doesn't contain a wiiu folder.

Last edited:

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Out of curiosity, why is it its only Nintendo's products that get hacked/jailbroken like this?

I Imagine if the PS/Xbox had a free store to download whatever you wanted, crazy shit would happen.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I imagine Sony and Microsoft spend a ton more of money and research on their systems' security and copy protection. They would also be far quicker to fix any cracks in that security, if it was costing them money.

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
This generation of Nintendo is the only one cracked this bad also. Mainly due to them just breaking in to online and screwing it up.

I have had cartridge writers for everything handheld from Nintendo. I never got the N64 version but wanted to.

Vorph

spronk spronk Vorph Vorph Did you guys install loadiine? In the walkthrough it says to extract the loadiine wiiu folder into the root of your SD card, but the loadiine zip file doesn't contain a wiiu folder.
I don't think there's any reason to install loadiine, saveiine, or the optional updater if you use the Brazilian title install method.

As for jailbreaking, the PSP was even more widely cracked open than the 3DS. It's expected that the Vita will be opened up relatively soon too, although the retarded cost of Sony's proprietary memory cards still makes the system pretty unattractive. Most of this stuff that happened was fairly recent, at least the way it's so easy to do with little risk of bricking your console. Nintendo is still concerned about the 3DS, since they shut down all the ways to jailbreak to the point of playing pirated games in the latest firmware. I suspect the Wii U will get a similar update along with Zelda's release. The problem (for them) is that there isn't much they can do about people who already did the hacks on older versions.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think there's any reason to install loadiine, saveiine, or the optional updater if you use the Brazilian title install method.
Ok, I haven't gotten to that point in the setup yet(I have no clue what the brazilian title install is). I'll just skip the optional stuff for now, then. Thanks.

Vorph

It's the part where you download games directly from Nintendo servers to your PC with uTikDownloadHelper, copy to SD card, and then install them on the Wii U with WUP Installer.

Loadiine is apparently what people used before all that happened.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Well shit...I already downloaded 600 gigs of Wii U games.

Vorph

Er, you mean from a ROM site? Not sure what to do in that case. If you don't want to re-download you're probably stuck either using loadiine or converting them to WUP format with NUSPacker. I couldn't say for sure though, I downloaded everything from uTik.

Vorph

If it's a directory for each game with a bunch of .app and .h3 files in it along with title.tik, title.cert, and title.tmd then you've got WUP installer files. If it's something else, like code, content, and meta directories inside each game directory, then you've got the loadiine stuff. If you've got .wud or .wux files they aren't even loadiine ready yet and you have to use another program to convert them first.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'll probably just use the Brazilian method and download games that I genuinely want to play. Seems the 'easiest' route, but I'll check what's in the actual zip files when I get home.

Are regular Wii games/virtual console playable as well? I want to play Skyward Sword.