Wii U

spronk

FPS noob
in this day and age shit leaks super fast, the fact that almost nothing real about the NX has leaked means most likely its still in really early stages of design. so its not a strategic decision delay, but just a "we ain't fucking anywhere near ready". Remember, from the second you completely finalize the design of a system, which realistically takes 18-24 months, it still takes around a YEAR to ramp up manufacturing to the point where you can deliver millions of boxes. Ideally you want first and third party devs starting to develop early on against a PC reference, and around 12 months out you start locking down system specs and give final SDKs.

all indications are nintendo is going to do something colossally stupid with it anyways, since they keep saying its not a traditional thing, it'll coexist with 3ds/wii u, etc

koljec_sl

shitlord
in this day and age shit leaks super fast, the fact that almost nothing real about the NX has leaked means most likely its still in really early stages of design. so its not a strategic decision delay, but just a "we ain't fucking anywhere near ready". Remember, from the second you completely finalize the design of a system, which realistically takes 18-24 months, it still takes around a YEAR to ramp up manufacturing to the point where you can deliver millions of boxes. Ideally you want first and third party devs starting to develop early on against a PC reference, and around 12 months out you start locking down system specs and give final SDKs.

all indications are nintendo is going to do something colossally stupid with it anyways, since they keep saying its not a traditional thing, it'll coexist with 3ds/wii u, etc
I hope you're not right, but quotes about "new way of thinking" could definitely turn out colossally stupid. No clue what to make of it. If Miitomo is any example, Nintendo's new way of thinking is pretty lame.

Officially the March release is to make sure there are enough games for the system:The Nintendo NX Will Be Out March 2017 Worldwide

All I can say is those games better be substantial and good. And they better have decent online multiplayer. If Nintendo has mediocre word-of-mouth going into the fall, they are fucked.

I like my Wii U, but I'm kinda pissed that Nintendo is basically offering nothing new for it from June 2015 onward. That's a pretty shitty way to treat your customers. (I know you could point to some games like Xenoblade (I did put a lot of time into that one), but Starfox is supposed to be a really shallow game, and along with Mario Tennis and Mario Party, leave me thinking that Nintendo is only putting out a half-assed effort anymore.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
It seems they're also going through some kind of corporate restructuring.

I'm concerned about Nintendo to be honest. Everything just seems very unsure right now.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Dual release for Zelda is all I need. I'm not buying another one of their fucking garbage consoles to play the 6 worthwhile games that come out for that console. That's 6 games over the entire life of the console - not 6 games all up front.

Fuck Nintendo. I'll play their shit when I can get it on better platforms. They need to become a fucking software company already.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I hope they start making reasonably powerful consoles again. I think they might, since MS and Sony seem to be adopting a new model of updating their systems with hardware revisions. I could see Nintendo going along with doing that as well.

I want to see them back in the game above all else. Having two console manufacturers would suck ass. We already have just two video card manufacturers we don't need that shit with consoles too. Iwata passed away, their development pipeline got re-worked, and now their management style is shifting. If they're gonna do it, now is the time.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hope they start making reasonably powerful consoles again. I think they might, since MS and Sony seem to be adopting a new model of updating their systems with hardware revisions. I could see Nintendo going along with doing that as well.

I want to see them back in the game above all else. Having two console manufacturers would suck ass. We already have just two video card manufacturers we don't need that shit with consoles too. Iwata passed away, their development pipeline got re-worked, and now their management style is shifting. If they're gonna do it, now is the time.
That was my point earlier. Most 3rd party abandoned it because the system was flat weak and the development tools didn't facilitate easier porting (iirc). I don't give a fuck about platformers. The SNES was a powerful console that provide a wide range of games. It could be argued to the best console for RPGs and adventure games. Ps1 was strong and may be better, but I digress.

I want to see Nintendo put out a machine powerful enough to sate all devs. On par with ps4. That way I can get the few ports I care about and a better selection of first party.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am sorry to say this but Nintendo's 1st party titles are so overrated it makes me sick.

1) Mario Kart for the Wii U used a ton of legacy maps and has basically been the same game since inception released on each generation with changes in multiplayer
2) All Mario Platform games have re-used levels at one point or another and while fun, aren't anything different than anything else we have played before with regards to Mario.
3) Zelda - Yay? Same damn shit. Over and over again.
4) Metroid: Where are you for the Wii U? Now I loved Metroid for the Gamecube, and 2 and 3, even though that was more of the same - but still.
5) Starfox - 3 hours long and the same damn game as it was on N64. Seriously?

Now I am not sure why all the hype on these titles. The new Zelda appears to be something fresh but basically it's finally open world - something we have had since Elder Scrolls.

Nintendo for me has already become the Apple of the device world. Releasing features 4 years after their prime and expecting everyone to get excited.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Everyone stop having fun. Utnayan says we shouldn't be having fun.
When did I ever say this? I'm saying that Nintendo 1st party titles, especially this generation via Wii U and 3DS, have been completely over rated and they have been. The legacy of 1st party Nintendo games is fading quick along with their reputation in the market. The last innovation they have done with their games was transitioning to 3D platforming in the N64 days. After that, all their 1st party titles have, for the most part, have been remakes of the same mechanics we played before. Some even use the same levels. They are behind the times in multiplayer and finally caught up ten years after console multiplayer was the norm. And even the system now is completely broken requiring friend codes to even add buddies.

They are completely stagnant in their software development, and are out of touch with their player base. And it is showing in their end revenue results. Pretty simple concept.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I loved Captain Toad.

And even though it wasn't for the Wii U, the two Super Mario Galaxy games were probably the best in the entire history of the characters.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I loved Captain Toad.

And even though it wasn't for the Wii U, the two Super Mario Galaxy games were probably the best in the entire history of the characters.
The Galaxy games are two of my all time favorite 3D platformers, honestly. Super Mario 3D World wasn't as good, but it was still damn good.

I hope Nintendo does make some new franchises, though. Splatoon was a good start, and is apparently immensely successful. Codename STEAM wasn't very good on the other hand, but I hope that doesn't dissuade them from continuing to try to make new things. Utnayan might be a bit harsh, but he's right to say that we've had a lot of games with the same mechanics over the years. Hopefully they can shake things up.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Retro's game they are working on for NX isn't Donkey Kong or Metroid supposedly, aka a completely new IP.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think last gen wasn't so bad for Nintendo new stuff, between Splatoon and Mario Maker. Mario Maker is just the basics of mario in terms of gameplay, but the whole editor/sharing concepts are pretty fresh(not original, but for Nintendo, kinda is) and made the game quite a success(relatively, due to the Wii U poor install base). Splatoon was definitely their big title I wanna say.

They could use some more variety, but I don't think it's such a big deal, the main issue currently is Nintendo is one of the few developpers to make games for their consoles, so you don't get that much choice, and the games you get are rehashed concepts over and over so it feels more repetitve. If you had hundreds of games like on other consoles, I think playing a good ole mario, mario kart or zelda wouldn't feel as boring, because of the contrast between these and the other games.

Hopefully the rumor/official news for the NX delayed launch to get more games ready is true and they release a console that's not 1-2gen behind so 3rd party devs actually work on it, possibly, and it launches with a solid amount of games(and possibly backwards compatibility, to extend the catalogue I guess).

koljec_sl

shitlord
March seems like a horrible time to launch a console....
Latest news is that the March part was dropped, and now it's just an open-ended 2017 release for Zelda (and NX, too?).

There's also a rumor that AMD fucked up Nintendo's NX chip order and might be responsible for the 2017 release.

So maybe Nintendo will have a proper fall 2017 release after all, but jeez they're dead in the console market for nearly two years at that point.

It's a good thing Nintendo is a very liquid company because this seems sort of catastrophic business-wise, or like some Nelson Peltz type holding company has gotten a hold of it:

Nintendo selling off majority stake in Seattle Mariners baseball team Eurogamer.net

I didn't know they owned 55% of the Mariners.

Sony's PSN is making more money than all of Nintendo Eurogamer.net

I like Capitan Todd too, btw.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think Nintendo finally realized that their blue ocean moved on to phones, so they've started some development there (though Miitomo is kind of weak). Hopefully they pop back into the console race with something a bit more powerful than PS4. I suspect they're going to do like sony and ms and do annual upgrades to their console rather than start with a clean slate every generation. Hopefully the rumors of them being able to put out more games more frequently is true. I want to see Nintendo in the game again.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Latest news is that the March part was dropped, and now it's just an open-ended 2017 release for Zelda (and NX, too?).

There's also a rumor that AMD fucked up Nintendo's NX chip order and might be responsible for the 2017 release.

So maybe Nintendo will have a proper fall 2017 release after all, but jeez they're dead in the console market for nearly two years at that point.

It's a good thing Nintendo is a very liquid company because this seems sort of catastrophic business-wise, or like some Nelson Peltz type holding company has gotten a hold of it:

Nintendo selling off majority stake in Seattle Mariners baseball team Eurogamer.net

I didn't know they owned 55% of the Mariners.

Sony's PSN is making more money than all of Nintendo Eurogamer.net

I like Capitan Todd too, btw.
Nintendo still has a ton of cash, they are fine. The delays hurt mindshare more than causing them to go bankrupt.

The Mariners thing also has nothing to do with financials - the old owner of Nintendo bought a large stake in it to keep the team from moving out of Seattle in the 90s, as a gesture of good will after Seattle/Washington treated Nintendo so well. The guy whose been running it for Nintendo is basically retiring.

As for PSN making more than Nintendo, of course it does - Sony has moved/rebranded almost ALL their online services to PSN, even stuff that has nothing to do with gaming like Vue.