Wild Wild Country

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Wild Wild Country

Genre: Documentary

First aired: 2018-03-16

Overview: When a controversial cult leader builds a utopian city in the Oregon desert, conflict with the locals escalates into a national scandal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

6 part series about a religious cult from India that came to Oregon in the 80s and basically tried to take over the entire state. Incredulous, I had no idea it ever happened and I thought it was sort of a mockumentary like "Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable". It's on Netflix.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
kprB5Jj2LYQAYlqVQMEucT2vGt.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Wild Wild Country[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Documentary[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2018-03-16[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]When a controversial cult leader builds a utopian city in the Oregon desert, conflict with the locals escalates into a national scandal.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I used to go to church camp there (big muddy). That was probably around 1998 or so.

I diddled my science teacher's daughter in the huge meeting hall that they show in the 3rd episode.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That picture seriously looks like Toby McGuire, I was kind of pumped for him that he had something to fall back on now that the acting thing has dried up.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I made a 3D model for the site this morning. The only part of the ranch that I remember is the big-ass meeting hall, shown a lot in episode 3.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hearing real big things about this show. Will probably check it out.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just finished a 4 day marathon on this, great show.

I'm really curious what kind of public backlash (?) this is going to have, ah la Making a Murderer.

Edit, very minor spoiler:
"...a Christian youth camp that teaches abstinence..."

Bull shit, youth group & church camp was a non stop ass parade. A hefty third of my #MeToo moments were when I was an innocent young gentleman at that church camp. I really can't think of how to drive that point home without sounding full of shit....but the girls at that camp were fucking predators.

Then, my family got a computer and I bought Red Alert and Baldur's Gate at the used game store. Shitlording ever since.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Why would this create public backlash?

Spoiler
And come to find out that Sheela the attempted murder & mass poisoner is a caretaker for elderly patients with dementia, Alzheimer's and.... schizophrenia? Um....no.

• 1Like

Khane

That's just people being people. You can find someone sharing their idiotic opinion about anything and everything. I doubt you'll see an outcry like we had with Making a Murderer.

The white privilege quotes are hysterical though since like 95% of the followers of that cult were white. And many were very independently wealthy.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Haven't watched this, but studied this event quite extenssively because it is one of the more successful "biological attacks" ever carried out on US soil

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That's just people being people. You can find someone sharing their idiotic opinion about anything and everything. I doubt you'll see an outcry like we had with Making a Murderer.

The white privilege quotes are hysterical though since like 95% of the followers of that cult were white. And many were very independently wealthy.

I think that a large amount of "people being people" is the definition of public backlash.

The fact that the first opinions I see pop up seem to be neatly split down the middle makes me think that we're going to see just as much blind support & hatred for both the Rajneesh AND the people of Antelope. Personally, I think we're just about garunteed to see some vandalism in Antelope in the near future because of this.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Just stated watching this cause of this thread. Never heard of the guy before or the place. Only a couple of episodes in but shit, i'm staggered with how much they got built out in the middle of nowhere. There sheer scale of the place is absolutely nuts - guess with enough expertise, labour and money you can do just about anything. Sheela comes across as batshit insane in her TV appearances. The main guy seems like he just wanted to fuck alot of young chicks and have some money haha.

• 1Like

Khane

I think that a large amount of "people being people" is the definition of public backlash.

The fact that the first opinions I see pop up seem to be neatly split down the middle makes me think that we're going to see just as much blind support & hatred for both the Rajneesh AND the people of Antelope. Personally, I think we're just about garunteed to see some vandalism in Antelope in the near future because of this.

I doubt it. This isn't something you can really hang your hat on and fight for (for a week until you watch a different Netflix docu). It's done, it's over, and even the cult members acknowledged the crimes. They still think they were initially wronged of course but they do recognize Sheela was a megalomaniac and everything spiraled out of control.

I feel a little bad for that Australian woman. It's gotta be a tough pill to swallow to realize too late you were brainwashed and became a servant of depravity just because you were young and naive. Timing is everything!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Either I'm completely exaggerating the insanity of some of our liberal youth here in Oregon, or you're underestimating it. "It's done, it's over, and even the cult members acknowledged the crimes. They still think they were initially wronged of course but they do recognize Sheela was a megalomaniac and everything spiraled out of control." Exactly, and this provides an opportunity for the "no true Scotsman" defense. Either way, no reason to argue. Just wait and see.
I drive through Antelope 4 or 5 times a year and the Dalles about 15 or 20 times a year. I might bring the drones with me next time I go through Antelope. ;)

My personal chicken-little'ing aside, great series all around. It's not like I have a wealth of personal knowledge on the topic to draw from, but it seems like the filmmakers made a real effort towards objectively representing both sides and not completely steamrolling one or the other, excluding Sheela's fucking insanity.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Either I'm completely exaggerating the insanity of some of our liberal youth here in Oregon, or you're underestimating it. "It's done, it's over, and even the cult members acknowledged the crimes. They still think they were initially wronged of course but they do recognize Sheela was a megalomaniac and everything spiraled out of control." Exactly, and this provides an opportunity for the "no true Scotsman" defense. Either way, no reason to argue. Just wait and see.
I drive through Antelope 4 or 5 times a year and the Dalles about 15 or 20 times a year. I might bring the drones with me next time I go through Antelope. ;)

My personal chicken-little'ing aside, great series all around. It's not like I have a wealth of personal knowledge on the topic to draw from, but it seems like the filmmakers made a real effort towards objectively representing both sides and not completely steamrolling one or the other, excluding Sheela's fucking insanity.
Cults, communism, often all work in the same way. They SOUND great. And on paper are great. But, the reality is, there is always going to be some asshole that takes advantage to get ahead, and take power. And if not internally, external forces. how do they react to outside forces trying to tear apart your system? Generally... poorly. Either violence or segregation. They cant actually handle interaction with anyone outside.

Democracy and capitalism are built around the idea that people are assholes, out for themselves, and thus have proper protections to defend vs wolves.

• 1Like

Khane

Well I didn't realize you lived so close to the place in question. Obviously you'll have a different perspective on it than someone like me who lives on the East Coast. Nobody is going to be picketing for Osho in CT, maybe they will in Antelope itself.

And yes, it was one of the most neutral documentaries I've watched. They got big players from both sides of the story to come and actually tell their side.

• 1Like

fresh

<Gold Donor>
Started watching this last night and got through the first three episodes. My wife and I are both really enjoying it.

When I did was in High School my dad was on the board of Young Life, the organization that bought the property. It is now a giant Christian Summer camp, they use most of the existing structures. I actually got to poke around a little after it was purchased, but before it was renovated which was pretty weird. I wish I could have checked out the caves, but they were sealed up before I got there.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database