Windows 10

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to picking up an SSD.

Haven't upgraded to 10 yet, wasn't sure what the best course of action would be. Upgrade and then clone the old drive, or clone and then upgrade.

Thoughts?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Upgrade then clean install on SSD then migrate anything you need over IMO.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What cards do you have? I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that NVidia hasn't added support yet for Fermi cards for DX12. Last I heard it was delayed and I haven't seen anything announced that that has changed. Wonder if I should download an older driver to use for now. I've turned off windows update for devices on my computer so I shouldn't have to deal with it trying to replace what I use.

EDIT: Well, that appears to be what the issue is. I went to the 347.88 drivers and now I don't get a BSOD with SLI enabled when going into the display properties. I have to do some further testing with some games though.
For the record, I run 3x eVGA 780. Sounds like they busted backward compatibility support at some point, yep.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Well, my strategy of doing nothing and seeing if the Win10 upgrade would just work has succeeded. Opened the app last night and it said that it was ready to go so I upgraded. It was nice to see that technology has advanced to the point where we can have not one but two hilariously inaccurate progress counters SIMULTANEOUSLY displaying meaningless numbers while Windows installs. I also liked that it instructed me to sit back and relax which I was happy to do.

Seems nice so far.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lots of micro lag in game with Windows 10. I'm using a GTX 980 playing cs:go and I couldn't kill people point blank range. I turned everything down and order was restored. I'm not good at the game, but I'm not THAT bad. Kinda shitty because I'm using optimized setting (which had no lag in Windows 8.1).

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
In short, no. You've heard wrong, lendarios.
Requirements are different than recommended , or simply testing on the same PC with different OS. With 10, the time it took to open Office, Chrome, was considerably bigger than for 7.

Opening the start menu to go to the control panel took longer than with 7, because of Cortana trying to do a search/loading on the background.

Try it on a medium to low end computer and you will see the performance difference.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I upgraded my old laptop last week for shits and giggles. I don't really use it for much, so what the hell? I was surprised at how smooth the upgrade went. Only took an hour or two, and pretty much everything worked straight off without a hitch. I didn't really test extensively, but from what I saw it was all good. However I decided I'd do a clean install, just to make sure I understood how to go about it properly, for when I do my desktop and/or HTPC. I confirmed that the upgrade had properly activated. I went and created a USB boot drive, and did the clean install. All went well once again, but of course this time I had to reinstall a bunch of software (god bless Ninite).

Naturally, it now won't activate, and gives me an error message saying that my key is invalid. ffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I upgraded my old laptop last week for shits and giggles. I don't really use it for much, so what the hell? I was surprised at how smooth the upgrade went. Only took an hour or two, and pretty much everything worked straight off without a hitch. I didn't really test extensively, but from what I saw it was all good. However I decided I'd do a clean install, just to make sure I understood how to go about it properly, for when I do my desktop and/or HTPC. I confirmed that the upgrade had properly activated. I went and created a USB boot drive, and did the clean install. All went well once again, but of course this time I had to reinstall a bunch of software (god bless Ninite).

Naturally, it now won't activate, and gives me an error message saying that my key is invalid. ffffffuuuuuuuuuuu
There's an option in "recovery options" to do a clean install and keep your activation. Only thing you can do now is to reimage your drive if your laptop came with one and upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I thought that my laptop's hardware config was sent to MS when it activated the upgrade, and that I therefore should have no issue doing a clean install afterward. Is that not how it works? That's my understanding from past comments here and other links I looked up.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Try it on a medium to low end computer and you will see the performance difference.
I could go on (and on, and on, and on) about this, but I'll just put it this way: That is not my experience, with any computer I've run it on, at all, and I've run it on 5 or 6 now, from low to high end and everywhere in between.

In short, I think you're mistaken.

Also, wait, you keep Cortana on? Seriously?

Edit: I should add, there has been very little truly new of note in the kernel since Windows 7, so you're basically seeing the same system in the background with enhancements made to the window manager. It really isn't all that "different" an OS at all. That's probably why the requirements haven't changed since Windows 7. Just throwing that out there.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I thought that my laptop's hardware config was sent to MS when it activated the upgrade, and that I therefore should have no issue doing a clean install afterward. Is that not how it works? That's my understanding from past comments here and other links I looked up.
You still need to write your key down for future use. It'll only work on that PC, but you still need to know what it is. There are a bunch of ways of finding the key. I think some were mentioned earlier in this thread, or there's Magic Jellybean, or there are a bunch of scripts that'll do it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Well the key from the upgrade would have gone poof when I did the clean install. I of course have the Win7 key on a sticker on the underside of the laptop. But if I did a clean install of Win7, would I not then have an issue activating the Win10 upgrade since that Win7 key had already been upgraded and activated?

What a cluster fuck. This shit appeared extremely straight forward when I looked it up. Nowhere did it say that you needed to write down the key from the Win10 upgrade to carry over to the clean install. In fact, numerous links I read specifically said that when Win10's clean install asks for your key, you just skip it, continue the install, and activation will happen no problem afterwards.

For example:How to Clean Install Windows 10

When you upgrade a Windows 7 or 8.1 system to Windows 10, the installer confirms that you have a "genuine Windows" system installed and activates your computer for use with Windows 10. Note that you don't actually get a Windows 10 product key - instead, your computer's hardware is registered with Microsoft's servers. When you install Windows 10 on that PC again in the future, it will check in with Microsoft's servers, confirm it's installed on a registered PC, and automatically activate itself.

If you don't take advantage of the upgrade process first, this registration will never happen. There's no way to enter a Windows 7 or 8.1 key into the Windows 10 installer, nor is there some sort of web form that will give you a Windows 10 key if you provide your Windows 7 or 8.1 key. Sorry - you'll have to upgrade to Windows 10 before you can perform a clean install.

*snip*

Select "Install Now" once the Windows installer starts. When you reach a screen asking for your Windows 10 product key, click the Skip button. You won't actually have a Windows 10 product key if you took advantage of the free upgrade offer.

*snip*

You'll be asked for the product key after the process is finished. Just click "Do this later" to skip this part and continue the setup process.

After you log into your new, clean-installed Windows 10 system, it should automatically activate itself after you connect to the Internet. If you took advantage of the free upgrade offer, it does this by checking your computer's hardware and then checking in with Microsoft, verifying that your hardware configuration is authorized to use Windows 10.

When we reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on our computer, it activated immediately. But, if Microsoft's activation servers are overloaded, so it may take some time before your system activates. You can open the Settings app, select Update & security, and select Activation to check your activation status. If it's not activated, you may see information here that can help you activate.
What am I missing here?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
You're not missing anything, that's exactly how I did a clean install on my desktop. I did buy a retail copy for a customer and that was just a key that you use with the download from MS, but if you do the upgrade there is no key.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully it'll activate by itself, because servers were busy/offline over the weekend or something. If not, generally my experiences with MS CS has been pretty decent. They just ask a couple questions to make sure you're legit, then give you a key or activate or whatever. It's been a few years since I last had to call them.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
You should have done this

How to Factory Reset Windows 10?

Windows 8 and 10 have built in factory reset options. It will keep your activation.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well the key from the upgrade would have gone poof when I did the clean install. I of course have the Win7 key on a sticker on the underside of the laptop. But if I did a clean install of Win7, would I not then have an issue activating the Win10 upgrade since that Win7 key had already been upgraded and activated?

What a cluster fuck. This shit appeared extremely straight forward when I looked it up. Nowhere did it say that you needed to write down the key from the Win10 upgrade to carry over to the clean install. In fact, numerous links I read specifically said that when Win10's clean install asks for your key, you just skip it, continue the install, and activation will happen no problem afterwards.

For example:How to Clean Install Windows 10

What am I missing here?
I just went through this with my dads laptop. Samsung laptop with win 8 originally(no install disk though), he upgraded it to 10 a few weeks back, everything is fine. Well, his hard drive shot craps, so I ordered a new Samsung 850 Evo SSD, and proceeded to attempt to get his PC back up and running.

In *theory* he had a Win 10 upgrade that was already registered to his PC, but in no way, shape, or form was I able to "skip" a fresh Win 10 install asking me for a CD key. Shit just sat there indefinitely with nothing but a "cancel" and a "next" button(that was greyed out without a key). NO option to skip whatseover. I even tried booting from both a Win 10 .iso on a DVD, as well as a win 10 USB thumb drive, neither worked, no skip options.

Had to end up finding my old Windows 7 disk that I haven't used in years, installing that, then upgrading him to 10 again, for a second time. I guess that Win 7 was "fresh" as it had never been used to upgrade to 10 at any point...the last time it was used was when I upgraded from 7 to 8 on my deskotp, and then 8.1 took me into 10, so I never had a 7 -> 10 jump at any point, so it worked just fine for him.

Lame

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
upgraded my about 18 month old asus gaming laptop to windows 10 from 8.1 about 3 weeks ago, so far so good, perfect release as far as I'm concerned..

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I upgraded. Looks the same as 8.1 with a different start menu. /shrug. Seems fine but I guess Microsoft set the bar so low with the last release people are gushing.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I have had similar issues in the past as well, I just call their activation number to get it sorted. Windows activation: (888) 571-2048