Windows 8

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I haven't used windows 8 extensively but I cringe thinking how it would work in a business environment.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop last night and it's a much better experience. Menus have been revamped, start screen has been revamped, IE 11 is much better, apps auto update, Skydrive integration is great. The best update IMO is to the application snap feature. It's way more usable now that it isn't stuck in a 20/80% split, you can size them however you want.

whooleeo_sl

shitlord
I installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop last night and it's a much better experience. Menus have been revamped, start screen has been revamped, IE 11 is much better, apps auto update, Skydrive integration is great. The best update IMO is to the application snap feature. It's way more usable now that it isn't stuck in a 20/80% split, you can size them however you want.
Do you use an external monitor? if so can you confirm 8.1 lets you set different scaling for the external vs the laptop screen?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
i-RrTj8nL-950x10000.jpg

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Do you use an external monitor? if so can you confirm 8.1 lets you set different scaling for the external vs the laptop screen?
I haven't been able to test it myself yet but they did show that off during the Build keynote presentation.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You get ads on Bing.com and Google.com or any other search engine, not sure why you wouldn't expect them to show up when you use the Bing-powered built-in search. There's an entire market based around paid search ads and Bing/Google monetize them aggressively.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Maybe we shouldn't have to pay for Windows then, right? Since they're an entire market based around paid search ads.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
What the fuck? How do you expect Microsoft to keep people paying for paid Bing ads if they don't even show them in their built-in search? Google does the same god damn thing with their search app. Here's a clue: Bing and Google don't make any money from your mouth-breathing ass using their search. They make money from the people trying to sell shit to you, and they're not going to give up that business.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck? How do you expect Microsoft to keep people paying for paid Bing ads if they don't even show them in their built-in search? Google does the same god damn thing with their search app. Here's a clue: Bing and Google don't make any money from your mouth-breathing ass using their search. They make money from the people trying to sell shit to you, and they're not going to give up that business.
There's a big difference between ads in a free web browser or on a free website and ads in an OS-essential search function on an OS you fucking paid for. Thankfully there will be SOME registry hack to get rid of this, I'm sure.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
No, there isn't a difference. You're still using a service that Bing is providing, and Bing's free search results come with paid, targeted advertisements so they can keep the fucking doors open.

The OS-level searching doesn't use Bing. The only time you get Bing results is when you're doing an internet search.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am confused here. Is MS adding ads to the OS search function, i.e. what you use to search for system files and such. Or is this some sort of internet search app built in to windows 8?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Search has been overhauled a bit. At the top, you can specify between: Everywhere, Settings, Files, Web Images, Web Video, or Internet Explorer. If you search for a term that is a question or doesn't match an application/system setting, the OS search will automatically send you to a Bing results page. The reported ads would only be on the Bing results page.

What no one seems to be mentioning, is that there's also a search settings pane where you can disable Bing results completely, have them tailored to you and your location, have them not be personalized, or filter them strict/moderate.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Search has been overhauled a bit. At the top, you can specify between: Everywhere, Settings, Files, Web Images, Web Video, or Internet Explorer. If you search for a term that is a question or doesn't match an application/system setting, the OS search will automatically send you to a Bing results page. The reported ads would only be on the Bing results page.

What no one seems to be mentioning, is that there's also a search settings pane where you can disable Bing results completely, have them tailored to you and your location, have them not be personalized, or filter them strict/moderate.
That's fine then. I'll probably avoid using the metro search anyway.

The best way to save Windows 8 is to just let you uninstall metro entirely under Windows Features.

The performance of this OS on new hardware is pretty ridiculous. UEFI Secure Boot is super fast on a mediocre kingston sandforce SSD.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I put windows 8 on my laptop and desktop. I had so many fuckin issues, even though I wanted to like it, I eventually reverted back. I'll wait till 8.1.

Fuckin bullshit, setting up networked folders was a shit-storm, windows 8 wouldnt recognize my usb 3.0 thumbdrive (in bios it would) and widi was wonky.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider

If the Bing results are on by default and users aren't shown an explanation the first time they use the service its irrelevant whether it can be turned off as most users won't (know how to). Beyond the repugnant factor of ads, its also a massive privacy violation.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I was nagged about my searches going to Bing or something either during the update or before my first search.

Desidero

N00b
I had no issues with Win8 (aside from gripes about the metro crap). I updated to the 8.1 preview, and the experience is essentially the same for me while the stability of the OS has gone down. I never had any crashes under W8, but I've had a few under 8.1.