Windows 8

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Since updating to windows 8.1 I've had a couple instances where my laptop hangs during boot up or when washing from sleep. The Wi-Fi activity light will stay lit, but the light for disk activity never lights up. The screen doesn't display anything either, not even the initial lenovo logo. I have to hold down the power button until it shuts down, then a fresh reboot usually works. This has happened maybe 3-5 times over the last week, and the other 10 or so time I've booted or woken it, it works without issue.

This exclusively began happening after upgrading to 8.1. Any ideas?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I just upgraded to Windows 8. I cannot seem to delete my Windows.old folder. I tried taking ownership but it just keeps telling me I don't have permissions. What am I doing wrong here?

Through many trials and tribulations I was able to delete it. It sure was easier than right click administrator we used to have in windows 7..sarcasm. There must be faster ways to do this in the future, i look forward to learning to operate it as efficiently as the previous generation.

Malkav

French Madman
I just upgraded to Windows 8. I cannot seem to delete my Windows.old folder. I tried taking ownership but it just keeps telling me I don't have permissions. What am I doing wrong here?

Through many trials and tribulations I was able to delete it. It sure was easier than right click administrator we used to have in windows 7..sarcasm. There must be faster ways to do this in the future, i look forward to learning to operate it as efficiently as the previous generation.
The Disk Cleanup utility does it. Just have to check old system backups or something in there.

Rune_sl

shitlord
I updated to 8.1; now my laptop changes the brightness by 25-50% every time I change windows depending on how much white space is on the screen.

This is the single most infuriating thing I have ever experienced since troubleshooting EverQuest crashes after a patch.

I've tried everything. I've gone into the deepest parts of Old Windows, which are totally fucking obfuscated in windows 8, changed everything to max brightness, everything. I was only able to stop the flickering when it's connected directly to power, there doesn't seem to be a way to override it when it's running on battery.

Thanks Microsoft for turning my 1,500 dollar laptop into a fucking derptastic tablet.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Did the fresh install of Windows 8.1 yesterday and just finished re-installing all my apps. Between the great augmented search function and the customizable "start menu right click" using WinXEditor I couldn't be happier.

It still needs work to be enterprise ready though. In testing at work we've run into the following bugs:

1) Printer redirection doesn't work when RDP'ing between Windows 7SP1 and Windows 8.1
2) RDP 8.0 doesn't work between Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1
3) Intel HD graphics driver has major glitches in 8.1, and it doesn't seem Intel will be releasing drivers for the plain HD version, only the 3000+ series. Since sooo many business desktops come with standard Intel HD graphics onboard, this can be a big problem unless Intel/MS plan on releasing an updated driver.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
When the fuck will microsoft ever learn that is never, under any fucking circumstances, okay to reboot a computer without express user approval. Fucking christ almighty I'm so rustled right now.

Silence_sl

shitlord
When the fuck will microsoft ever learn that is never, under any fucking circumstances, okay to reboot a computer without express user approval. Fucking christ almighty I'm so rustled right now.
...or run WinSAT when I'm raiding in an MMO.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I picked up 8 for my laptop during the discount upgrade period figuring that I ought to be familiar with it as I'm the tech support guy for my family and their friends. Other than the stupid metro crap and needing to grab a start menu replacement I haven't had much of a problem with it. My main annoyance is that if I leave it alone for 30 minutes or so it starts automatic maintenance which causes the computer to to be unresponsive for a while. Even if I cancel the maintenance it, it starts back up if I leave it alone for a few minutes. There have been times when I can't cancel the maintenance and the computer locks up, forcing me to reset it.

My main gripe in 8.1 is the stupid start button, which seems to have been implemented as a fuck you from MS since it doesn't do anything useful.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My main gripe in 8.1 is the stupid start button, which seems to have been implemented as a fuck you from MS since it doesn't do anything useful.
I thought the same.. Right click it for happiness. Then grab WinXeditor and customize it. Start button now useful.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I picked up 8 for my laptop during the discount upgrade period figuring that I ought to be familiar with it as I'm the tech support guy for my family and their friends. Other than the stupid metro crap and needing to grab a start menu replacement I haven't had much of a problem with it. My main annoyance is that if I leave it alone for 30 minutes or so it starts automatic maintenance which causes the computer to to be unresponsive for a while. Even if I cancel the maintenance it, it starts back up if I leave it alone for a few minutes. There have been times when I can't cancel the maintenance and the computer locks up, forcing me to reset it.

"Classic Start" does the trick (go to ninite.com - it's under Utilities). You only have to see metro right after boot at which point you can click desktop and be done with it.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
"Classic Start" does the trick (go to ninite.com - it's under Utilities). You only have to see metro right after boot at which point you can click desktop and be done with it.
You can also set it to just boot directly to desktop. I never ever see Metro.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah. I really wish that clicking the Start button would present me with an organizable list of my programs.

Oh wait

Silence_sl

shitlord
I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows 7 today. I didn't quite make it to 3 weeks before I got tired of fiddling with its general and thorough shittiness.

I might even upgrade my new laptop to Windows 7.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah. I really wish that clicking the Start button would present me with an organizable list of my programs.

Oh wait
And would cover the entire screen to show me 5 applications.

Oh wait.

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows 7 today. I didn't quite make it to 3 weeks before I got tired of fiddling with its general and thorough shittiness.

I might even upgrade my new laptop to Windows 7.
I upgraded to Linux a couple months ago when we found out how pointless the changes in Windows 8.1 would be, couldn't even be bothered to wipe back to 7 which came on the machine.

Really any desktop users should start thinking about what they're going to do when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 in a few years. Apparently Microsoft's feedback department consists of a grade schooler with his fingers in his ears shouting"I can't hear you na na na na"and they're going down this path regardless. So be prepared to bend over and take it, or consider switching. Heck, maybe SteamOS will do well and we won't even need Windows for PC gaming.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
And would cover the entire screen to show me 5 applications.

Oh wait.
Confirmed retard. I can fit 40 tiles per column at 1440x900. I only use 29 tiles, but where you respond with hyperbole I respond with fact. The Windows 8 start menu is better than any start menu in any previous iteration of Windows and nothing your stupid ass responds with is going to change that.