Wine and How to Impress.

Northerner

N00b
So. I never really mentioned this even back into the Noows days but my work life has wandered some like many of us I imagine.

I started in Engineering, then into Software Development (shitty coder), then to Management but the whole time I've paralleled in the restaurant and bar business and the last half dozen years I've been there essentially full time. I still see myself as a geek or a manager but at the ripe old age of ((mid-40s)) I am settling into the idea that I'm probably never going back to the cubicle nor the game of watching those that dwell there.

So. I am WSET level three and Master's Court Certified in wine stuff and might as well answer some shit here if anyone cares. When I finally retire I might go for my MW (like a Phd for wine ... yet so wrong that there are no people that do it other than for show) For our geeks, it's kinda like bullshit certs but harder and stupider at times. Go get a Cicerone cert if you want to impress hipsters.

Anyhow. Wine **is** bullshit at times and it is not at times. I think the essential thing to know when ordering wine in either a work or dating environment is that the price is the thing that matters. Stupid? Of course. Still, we are the people that spent thousands of hours for a Ykesha. We are also the people that made those that got those early digital goods into heros and spawned and industry worth (now and perhaps sadly) billions.

Not a bunch of money. Billions.

EDIT: Shit. Forgot to say: AMA essentially. I know wine well, I know business etiquette well.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
numanthia numanthia, A+ old world wine.

domaine serene killed it at WWDA 2016. oregon pinot noir

pras

Northerner

N00b
Domaine Serene is actually really good shit. It's overpriced up here (like ~$120CDN on my list I think?) but I am a huge fan of Oregon PN in general and definitely love their offerings from 2.1k+. I should be at PinotFest next year if all goes well and largely because we've moved cases of DS specifically in a place that sells 90% cabs.

Still, it's a bit old school for the cutting-edge types. If you are doing the impress a possible client thing in NA then Oregon PN is still viable but Domaine Serene or Tristae or similar is too "boring" by far. It's back to Burgundy or NZ small producers or even weird German or AUS. To be "that guy" ordering Oregon PN, it shouldn't likely be DS. It's too known at this point.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thousands of hours for an Ykesha? Man it took me like 6 trips to the ghoul lord to end up with two of them.
Also "loaned" one to an SK "friend" that switched servers down the road without ever handing it back to me.

Northerner

N00b
Sure, sure, it took me like an hour and a half to get a mask on my *second* rogue out of LG from character creation.

The first ykesha? Fuck me, I can't sadly remember most of my early companions but those were some fun times even if they did ruin all our lives in some ways. Still, it wasn't like farming the fuck out of rubicite or later that revamp of CT. It was cutting edge in the day though and paid appropriately. Hell, the first one I sold in EC fully funded my Necro that I never did raid with.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My homemade guido wine and vinegar is infinitely better than any other wine. All grapes are hand crushed and pressed with 100+ yr old guido gear. Crished grapes are even stirred daily by a 87yr old guidette (gma). AMA

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had a wine that paired great with a martini last night. It was red. AMA

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Bill Briwa of the Culinary Institute says if you're blindfolded and it's all at room temperature, you cannot tell the difference between a red and a white. Is this true?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
all wine tastes exactly the same, hes 100% correct.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I had a pleasant weekend and wine was involved...Tannin Wine Bar in K.C., Mo. Three different German Rieslings (glasses, not bottles) purchased for me by the GM who is a good friend to my friend who took me there. YAY for knowing people! (I did spend plenty on food and tip in order to try and balance the karma.)
I also realize I am out of my league here, but I do enjoy the fruit of the vine.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What about wine gear, bullshit or not?

vacuum pumps, aerators, shit like that? mostly to give the obligatory stupid xmas present.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What about wine gear, bullshit or not?

vacuum pumps, aerators, shit like that? mostly to give the obligatory stupid xmas present.
Bullshit. Best wine is homemade wine left out in a carafe after decanted from barrels in to demijohns and then old Carlo Rossi gallon jugs for easier transport/storage.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Me and my mom lived upstairs flat in an Italian owner that lived downstairs. The old fucker used to brew up his own wine every year. Bought the grapes, pressed the shit out of them in some wooden contraption, then in his basement he had a wine room with barrels to ferment and age and where he had vintages going back to the 70s in bottles of various sizes and shapes.

I was only a kid but he used to call me down there all the time for sipping and tasting. Never got buzzed or anything but he was cool and I will always remember that Dago.

But I fucking hate wine, dont drink the shit like ever. The wife will have a glass here and there, but i dont even think she likes it all that much. most of the wine around my house is used in cooking.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, nahh bro, the dude was like my grandpa when we lived there totally kid safe.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Family owns a winery in southern California, I have a bitter sensitivity = couldn't care less about wine. I'm broken bros, please don't ask me anything.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Speaking of which, where's your "Artisinal Coffee and how impressive it is" thread to mirror this one?