Winter 2023 Anime Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Good Lord DanMachi. What an excellent first episode. A feast for the eyes and ears all around. Music was on point and animation was excellent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Sugar Apple Fairy Tale was awesome! My favorite show of the season thus far.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have to agree with Brahma Brahma that Sugar Apple Fairy Tale was amazing. Excellent animation, and apparently a good story.

Ars no Kyojuu was also pretty good for a first episode, looking forward to the next.

The Legend of Heroes...undecided, but will watch more.

Revenger seemed alright, so I'll give it 3 episodes.

Spy Kyoushitsu was...shit. Pass.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Revenger seemed to have interesting characters with janky animation and meh storytelling.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Spy definitely was not impressive for that first episode. I just didn't care for the setup at all. Sugar Apple Fairy Tale definitely was interesting. I'm not as 100% in as some are, but I like what I've gotten so far. Revenger was definitely weak, but not terrible. Going into watching the iceblade sorcerer now.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And I've only had a chance to watch only 1 episode of 1 show so far this season. I'll have to crash through a bunch in the coming days. Life's busy though. My daughter turns 11 on Sunday. My wife's birthday is on Monday... Tomorrow morning I also have to meet up with someone in the middle of the island (Wahiawa). Oh well, I won't have much time to do anything. Maybe I'll get a few episodes done.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn, Saturday is loaded with the good stuff this season. For those who are more recently familar with MHA manga to anime:
Is the arc that started today going to have that OP Hero from the USA appear, and die? The opening shows Deku how he ends up later on though..

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finished watching the shows I was interested in:

Trigun Stampede...pure cgi, but seems to be pretty high quality / stylistic. I'll keep watching.

Fired Demon Soldier. Read some of the manga, should be an alright show.

Nier Automata. Loved the game, and the first episode follows the game faithfully. Some cheesy cgi, but the real animation was good.

OP Demon King S2...same old OP Demon King. Still fun.

• 1Like

Khane

Um ^^^ what? Trigun was so fucking good animation wise. It was a total throwback to the original animation style in HD. What are you talking about pure cgi?

There definitely was "some CGI" but it was absolutely not pure CGI and it was so true to the original in animation style I actually couldn't believe it. It's Original Trigun in HD.

Trigun was the first anime series I ever watched and after the first episode I'm totally 100% in. Seems like Orange Studio knows exactly how to mix CG with real, hand drawn animation.

Last edited:

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Just finished Demon academy, sugar apple fairy tale, Ningen, and Trigun. All great stuff.

Didn't see anyone mention : NieR:Automata Ver1.1a based off the game series. Worth it if you've played it.

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Um ^^^ what? Trigun was so fucking good animation wise. It was a total throwback to the original animation style in HD. What are you talking about pure cgi?

There definitely was "some CGI" but it was absolutely not pure CGI and it was so true to the original in animation style I actually couldn't believe it. It's Original Trigun in HD.

Trigun was the first anime series I ever watched and after the first episode I'm totally 100% in. Seems like Orange Studio knows exactly how to mix CG with real, hand drawn animation.
Orange studio made this and it's 100% fully CGI.

What happens in these kinds of shows is they animate it (storyboard) then put CGI overlay.

• 2Like

Khane

Right, its hand animated with CG overlay. Is that "pure cgi"?

Khane

Yea I guess it really doesn't matter.

Just that when I think of full CGI shows I think of pretty bad animation quality like in the new Berserk.

I wouldn't want people to skip it just because they read "CGI"

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I guess it really doesn't matter.

Just that when I think of full CGI shows I think of pretty bad animation quality like in the new Berserk.

I wouldn't want people to skip it just because they read "CGI"
Yea, I was afraid it would turn out to be the bad sort, but thankfully its even better than Land of the Lustrous.

Watched the first episode of Handyman, and its solid. Will continue.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Handyman was all over the place, but definitely has potential. Episode 3 of Trigun was off the chain and made me turn into a solid yes on the series, so don't give up on it on 1 or 2.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Caught a few more shows.

Handyman was...OK I guess. Kind of all over the place. Not sure where this is going at all.

Nier I never played the game, but was OK. Thought it was going to be a CGI mess, but was not. I guess they upload their souls/programs prior to or during missions?

Chillin in my 30's was meh.

Legend of heroes was OK.

Boring episode of Vinland. Damn

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
fucking annoying that s4 of danmachi isn't on crunchyroll, hate having to do weekly pirating. that being said i watched all of the first half of s4 as it aired, it was pretty great. a substantial step up from the seasons prior.

#firstworldproblems

• 2Like