Witcher 3

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seriously, I just got around to starting Witcher 2 today and holy shit I'm already blown away. Graphics are beautiful, combat is infinitely superior to the first one, story so far is great. I didn't think it would be such a big deal but it being a "mature" game just seems to add so much in terms of realism for me. Constant cursing/sexism etc just adds believability to it given the medieval/fantasy nature.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The only flaw in the second game is that it ended.
Evil tongues might say the skill tree was a little imbalanced, and perhaps the dragon fight pre-patched was a little, shall we say, challenging :p But yeah, W2 could have used an act or 2 more, loved it. Also where are my cards? I enjoy, uhm, cards
smile.png

smile.png

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Evil tongues might say the skill tree was a little imbalanced, and perhaps the dragon fight pre-patched was a little, shall we say, challenging :p But yeah, W2 could have used an act or 2 more, loved it. Also where are my cards? I enjoy, uhm, cards
smile.png
I'll buy that to a certain extent. My rebuttal would be that you truly feel the progress on the skill tree; it isn't just straight numerical progression.

The dragon fight could have been better out of the gate, but it wasn't broken. It wasn't shooting-meteors-on-Dead-Space-1-PC-Port bad though.

More cards.

smile.png

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh I am so fucking giddy!

World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's
30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
Geralt's Memory is restored
No chapters/acts
Dude is fucking DONE fighting for everyone else
Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
More about the new engine. Yeah it's just marketing fluff but whatcha gonna do.

"If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world and one that builds a vast open-world but hampers and simplifies the story. With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story. Together with believable characters, a captivating tale and a world where players can roam freely without loading times, we will be able to move gaming to a new level with a realistic feel and full player immersion. When working on our previous titles, I didn't dream that we would achieve something like this. Thanks to the support of all our fans, now we have the possibility to use REDengine 3 and create something many RPG fans dream of." - said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED studio.

The REDengine demonstrated its capability to create great adventures for the first time in The Witcher 2 (PC). It was praised for its graphical excellence and exceptional, branching storytelling. The studio developed the technology and with optimization, REDengine 2 (internal name) brought The Witcher 2 to Xbox 360. Now CD Projekt RED aims to set their games in diversified, open-world ecosystems while maintaining a well paced and robust story.

The REDengine 3 tech is tailor-made to create nonlinear and story-driven RPGs with a system that allows to stream and handle fully explorable open-worlds. Cyberpunk 2077, the second project the studio is working on, will have prime examples demonstrating that REDengine 3 is the perfect tool for creating immense universes filled with exciting, nonlinear adventures. The advanced technology of the REDengine 3 makes RPGs comparable to top-shelf shooters, both in terms of game world presentation and the epic proportions of events that the player is drawn into. The engine is a next-gen ready solution that begins to blur the line between pre-rendered CGI movies and real time rendered graphics, bringing us closer to the most life-like world ever created in video games. All the state-of-the-art visuals form a living ecosystem allowing the player to be a part of a vivid environment. The new face and body animation systems implemented in REDengine 3 offer realistic expression of emotions, movie quality scenes and character interactions.

The technology uses high dynamic range rendering with 64-bit precision that ensures superior picture quality with more realistic and precise lighting without losses derived from reduced contrast ratio. A flexible renderer prepared for deferred or forward+ rendering pipelines has a wide array of cinematic post-processing effects, including bokeh depth-of-field, color grading and flares from many lights. A high performance terrain system allows multiple material layers to be efficiently blended and uses tessellation for the best possible detail. The technology also includes seamless blending between animations and physics along with many more features. The engine uses CD Projekt RED's new version of its proprietary REDkit editor with tools made specifically for RPG game creation. The editor can build complex, branching quests and set them in a free roaming environment with a simplicity not achieved by similar toolsets.
rrr_img_12186.jpg

rrr_img_12186.jpg

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Can't believe they're actually going to make the leap to a full open world game; pretty much guarantees a purchase from me. In that case, I guess I need to finally go back and finish the Witcher 1, and then pick up the Witcher 2, and polish that off as well.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Ive tried about 10X to finish Witcher 1, can't get past the first city before getting bored and giving up. I refuse to play the second too since I havent beat the first... Time to man up.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Ive tried about 10X to finish Witcher 1, can't get past the first city before getting bored and giving up. I refuse to play the second too since I havent beat the first... Time to man up.
Don't bother with the first game and just read a synopsis of it or something. I pretty much jumped right into the second game, since I could not stand to play the first one past the prologue due to the absolute dogshit controls and had no problem getting into the story and world. The difference is pretty much night and day between the two gameplay wise.

Also I highly recommend playing the second with a gamepad.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep, skipped Witcher 1 as well. The combat/gameplay/controls were just so impossible to get past that I couldn't finish it. I installed it probably a half dozen times over the years and kept trying it, but always wound up just dropping it after a few hours.

Even if you know nothing about the first one you won't miss much for the 2nd aside from a few of the people Geralt knows, which can easily be resolved by reading a wiki or whatever.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
This clip pretty much sums up the first witcher.

Also the flashbacks in the second Witcher will fill in Geralt's overarching storyline for you.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
The first Witcher should be played by everyone who loved Witcher 2. I agree with all the negative criticisms of the game wrt controls, combat, etc, but buried within that unholy bastard of game is a gem. The story is still phenomenal, the music outstanding. You get a much better understanding of Triss from the first game, as well as very grundgy take on fantasy/medieval rpgs. It's a motherfucker to wrangle in, but once you do, you immediately see how Bioware thinks we're all assholes.

Play the first fucking Witcher you savages.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I should really get around to finishing the second one, which I kind of drifted away from after the first act. Weirdly enough, I'm even one of those people who absolutely loved the first game, I can glance over many flaws if the story and the world make it worth it.