Witcher 3

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
GTX 980, and was getting 'good' FPS at 40ish, but I'm spoiled and love me 60. I turned off the NVIDIA hair crap under options, and now I get 60FPS. What a weird setting to have on by default.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's "The Way It's Meant to be Played." Duh!

Having v-sync, 60 fps cap, and borderless window on by default is weird too. V-sync off sort of sucks though, I get so much tearing while scrolling the map, as well as in game anytime it drops to the ~40 fps range.

It's also weird to use chromatic aberration for *anything* but ugly postprocessing "features" are another topic entirely.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Playing this game with keyboard + mouse controls is really painful, you have to go through the input.ini file to change keybinds, some of them are still hardlocked and there's like 300ms keyboard input delay wherever you hit a key.
For what it is worth I have noticed input lag on my controller as well at varying times.

Anyone else get that too? I am on a wired Xbox Controller.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It's "The Way It's Meant to be Played." Duh!

Having v-sync, 60 fps cap, and borderless window on by default is weird too. V-sync off sort of sucks though, I get so much tearing while scrolling the map, as well as in game anytime it drops to the ~40 fps range.

It's also weird to use chromatic aberration for *anything* but ugly postprocessing "features" are another topic entirely.
Have you tried vSync off but limiting the frames to 60? That is an option I have never seen before. I didn't check to see if sliding that bar to 60 FPS automatically turns vSync on however.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
For what it is worth I have noticed input lag on my controller as well at varying times.

Anyone else get that too? I am on a wired Xbox Controller.
Just under 5 hours played but noticed nothing with x box one controller

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm on wired XBox 360 controller and don't notice it, nothing to write home about at least. Seems on par with other games. The only thing that kind of feels like input lag is the general 'swiminess' of controlling Geralt. Constantly overshooting thing because he takes three diving steps when you nudge the controller and you try to flip him around and he doesn't respond for .5 due to the animation can come off like input lag.

Don't use Fraps but I think turning on the OSD with Precision X should show me FPS. Would like to mess around with some of the graphics options but at 1440p everything looks fine on High to Ultra an doesn't feel like it is constantly 20 fps or anything. I do have one small hang that happens randomly (whether in cutscene, on menu, in open world, etc...) the video will just hang. I can still hear the music and me navigating menus if I pause. Video driver doesn't fail or anything (that is displayed to me) and Precision still acts like it is doing graphics things. Takes about 5 seconds to restart so not that annoying, but I'm just saving constantly now and am not sure if there is a quicksave hotkey that would help that part out.

Vorph

I'm getting no input lag on my DS4, wired or Bluetooth. Movement just isn't very precise, especially when you're trying to maneuver to loot, pick herbs, light a torch, etc.

Not sure if I tried v-sync off with fps capped, but I think issue is just v-sync anyway. I wish developers would start programming adaptive v-sync into games natively; only way I know of to turn it on now is with RadeonPro, and it's not always compatible.

Another performance thing, people are saying that by editing \The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\visuals.ini and setting MovieFramerate to 60.0 it will stop the stuttering you often see in pre-rendered cutscenes. I changed it in my game, but haven't come across a video yet to see if it worked. I was definitely seeing stuttering in the opening cinematic though.

Edit: Regarding my bomb question, it seems that you just need to make the bomb recipe once and you get a fixed supply of them. When you meditate, the game uses alcohol in your inventory to restock your potions, oils, and bombs automatically. Wish they'd made that more clear, seeing as it's nothing like how the previous games worked.

Also, people talking about doing the main quest because it levels you faster while other things don't do so much--I've been avoiding spoilers, but I did see some people on reddit saying that advancing the main quest will cancel out side quests sometimes.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm getting no input lag on my DS4, wired or Bluetooth. Movement just isn't very precise, especially when you're trying to maneuver to loot, pick herbs, light a torch, etc.

Not sure if I tried v-sync off with fps capped, but I think issue is just v-sync anyway. I wish developers would start programming adaptive v-sync into games natively; only way I know of to turn it on now is with RadeonPro, and it's not always compatible.

Another performance thing, people are saying that by editing \The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\visuals.ini and setting MovieFramerate to 60.0 it will stop the stuttering you often see in pre-rendered cutscenes. I changed it in my game, but haven't come across a video yet to see if it worked. I was definitely seeing stuttering in the opening cinematic though.
Yeah there is another option in the menu system that was causing this too. I cannot think of what it was off hand but it had to do with cut scenes in the background or something, when turned to off it helped a lot.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know where you can get calcium equum in the wild, or the dancing star bomb schematic (and sulfur)? Grapeshot bomb is fucking expensive to make if I have to buy the calcium from the herbalist girl.
I bought it from the herbalist guy who spawned when I cleared a POI. Never seen it drop and I've finished every side quest and poi now on the first map. Had to buy them to make the bombs to finish the monster lairs. Finishing all side content before the griff will get you to level 3.

That said, where is the herbalist girl? There is mention of one, T something, in the first "town", but I don't see her anywhere. Even a notice saying that she is paying for honeycombs, and there is mention of her after the devil in the well sidequest. Not there. Also when I took the griff quest, there was mention of a herbalist girl that would know where I could find a specific plant, but I had found a plant like that already, so that part of the quest never activated. Can NPCs die? Maybe dogs or wolves got her? Certainly no icons showing a herbalist except that one guy

PS: Griff is kind of brutal on the hardest difficulty. This might take me a while. His charge attack takes me from active Quen with 100% hp to 30% hp. Never had anything bypass quen before.

Vorph

How did you get to the griffin without finding the herbalist girl? She's part of that questline, on the same step as seeing the hunter.

Anyway, she's due west of the notice board in town, at a hut about 2/3 of the way between town and the 'abandoned site' POI marker.

Edit: Also, I discovered that even though the game only suggests grapeshot and dancing star, samum bombs also blow up nests. Those are basically free to make, just takes celandine which you can pick all over the place, and saltpeter which is common in loot caches.

funny side thing, I checked through the config files there and theres one called DLC with

[DLC]
dlc_yen_alternate_look=false
dlc_ciri_alternate_look=false
dlc_triss_alternate_look=false
dlc_gwent_cards=false

in it which seems to be like a costume pack DLC content or some shit

Crone

It's refreshing to see an open world game with a good story. Most of them I'm just over whelmed with shit that I don't even bother.
This happened in Skyrim for me. I got into game, had a massive world, and didn't know what to do, or where to start, because you literally could do it all, in any order. I can steal all this guys stuff. Should I? Does it matter? Should I leave it and not make it hate me? Was all too much, and never got very far.

Glad to see this isn't the case for Witcher 3.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
This happened in Skyrim for me. I got into game, had a massive world, and didn't know what to do, or where to start, because you literally could do it all, in any order. I can steal all this guys stuff. Should I? Does it matter? Should I leave it and not make it hate me? Was all too much, and never got very far.

Glad to see this isn't the case for Witcher 3.
Nice to hear. That was exactly my Skyrim experience.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who prefers some linearity to a game. It seems like linear is a bad word in the gaming industry now adays

Vorph

Loving it as well. 3 hours was not enough time last night. Durability - almost seems like constantly making new weps would be cheaper, agree the cost at lower levels is out of balance. Any way to reset your skill tree?!
My solution to the durability problem was to suck it up and use crappy steel swords and the first silver sword you get (fucking thing was at 2% when I finally replaced it). You can forge two new witcher swords if you do one of the early treasure hunts and find the recipes. They use very expensive materials, but I had enough to make one of each sword. Because of the high cost to make them they are worth repairing unlike the crap before this. Not sure if witcher weapons can be further upgraded like witcher armor can.

funny side thing, I checked through the config files there and theres one called DLC with

[DLC]
dlc_yen_alternate_look=false
dlc_ciri_alternate_look=false
dlc_triss_alternate_look=false
dlc_gwent_cards=false

in it which seems to be like a costume pack DLC content or some shit
Those are some of the 16 free DLCs that are being released 2 per week. The first two are already available, and I believe Yennefer alt look is one of the ones for next week. Not really a fan of the slow release, I'm pretty sure I'll have completed the game on both PC and PS4 long before 2 months have passed.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
How did you get to the griffin without finding the herbalist girl? She's part of that questline, on the same step as seeing the hunter.

Anyway, she's due west of the notice board in town, at a hut about 2/3 of the way between town and the 'abandoned site' POI marker.
Will have to travel back and look for her. She never popped as the quest line for me because I had already looted the flower. I just got a "already have the blackroot" or whatever the name was.

Killed the griffin. Upgraded my silver sword to the one you get from the quest, Viper something. The poison dot that can proc from that sword is crazy powerful. Just zoned into No mans land. That place is so large.... Took me 9 hours to get there.

So far though, very good voice overs. Never felt like skipping dialog like I did in Skyrim.

How people doing with Gwent? Seems very harstone ish in terms of draw. Won the tutorial match, but took me 5 tries to win the match in the castle courtyard. He had some seriously op cards. In the end I think he drew into several weather cards because he started skipping. Pure rng draw luck. He even had 20 combo cards with double bonuses giving him 30+ damage in two turns. My higest card does 8 and I think I've gotten/bought all cards you can get in the prologue.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'd say its a good game but the reviews were making this out to be some kind of second coming and its just Good or very good. This is NOT a 10/10 game.

My biggest beef comes with this huge beautiful world that is mostly empty. Most of the people sans a ! have absolutely nothing to say to you and the couple of dialogues you catch when walking around are pretty piss poor. Now the world is gorgeous and reflects the mood and areas well but the world is also mostly empty. I shouldn't be able to run off the path in a straight line and more or less never see anything moving except trees and flowers until I hit an area near a ? on the map. I shouldn't be roaming this huge swap and maybe run into 4 or 5 drowners, all grouped up in a ball next to each other doing the elephant walk.

Now the ! quests are all quite good. Outside of that, which is a huge amount of their "content" their actual POI's kind of suck and look like a bad copy and paste job. They really could of done a better job on his stuff and their world suffers for it.

I'd say their world look was spot on. Their mob density, placement and POIs pretty much suck.

In addition to all that, the levels are really wonky. Drop you off in a level 4 area you just start. Ok lets go check that ?. Nope that is a level 17 that will one shot you. Ok how about that way? Nope, level 14. Hmm well I guess I have to go run the story because this open world is gated and for whatever reason didn't drop me off in an area I could do anything in. Hit up the board and what do you get? A level 33 mission? Come on now. The occasional thing like that is fine but its way over done.

Given what the Witcher Developers said about Skyrim, they should be embarrassed at how "Generic" their POI content is. They have a lot to learn on how to build an interesting open world because aside from the ! quests and a pretty but empty world there isn't much to get excited about.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Can I run this on i7-4702HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz with a Nvidia 870m ?

one system analyzer says yes, the other says no.