Witcher 3

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Yeah, TW1 is skippable, i couldn't finish it either. TW2 is amazing and still one of the top games of the decade in my book.

I mean, this scene...(don't click if you haven't played it yet)

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I only just finished W1 within the past few months, after first buying it the day of release almost eight years ago. It's an odd mix of fantastic and clunky, rewarding and tedious, innovative for its time but not so much today, etc. I'm certainly glad I finished it despite some challenging spots of tedium that required brute force to power through. The ending directly sets up W2 and provides for a "fuller" experience. There are quite a number of callbacks to it in W2/3. The combat is pretty awful at first, but does improve some as you unlock and build up skills.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Hearts of Stone was fucking good and Blood and Wine was better than most full game releases. Other developers should be fucking embarassed.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I just fired this up again tonight. I haven't played since I beat it severa weeks after release. The UI changes are nice, especially the inventory. I'm gonna have to relearn all the controls though. My muscle memory keeps making me try to play it like a Souls game.

I was tempted to start NG+ but I don't think I want to commit that much time again. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but it'll take me months to finish with the amount of game time I have these days... and that's if I only play this game and no others.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm gonna start up this tonight, had it sitting on my shelf for ages but never got around to it. I need a good single player RPG to play so i figure TW3 is a good one to finally start

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea it's a really good game. A lot of the side stories are better than most games main campaign stories.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm curious to see how it will play out as a standalone game too. I enjoyed Gwent, but I think a lot of that enjoyment stemmed from the just-frequent-enough moments where NPCs would challenge you to a game of Gwent. Looking back on it now, they did a really good job of controlling the interest curve (subtle events like Gwent challenges, tension breaking humor, etc.) where they could. Obviously as a mostly free form game, you can't control the moment to moment pacing during world exploration. It's weird to say, but I think their decision to give the player so much freedom actually hurt the game more than helped it.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Finished it, this series has the uncanny ability to fuck you over despite the best intentions and I love that. 12/10, best game I ever played, clocked in about 110 hours on a single playthrough of the whole thing (base game + both DLC) I think they picked a fine point to finish off the series, the mechanics have started to grate on towards the end.

If I had to nitpick a bit, I feel like the sidequests were a bit samey, or to fill up the map, the bandit bases were nice change, but ultimately I just rolled through all of them ignoring all the extra mechanics. On the other hand, the main quest starts a bit slow with some rather involved fetch quests, which are still fetch quests at the end of the day (and I didn't expect Salad Fingers to show up...), but in the last third or so, they pull out all the stops with absolutely mindblowing characters, tonal shifts and a story that drags you in kicking and screaming with some very unexpected consequences and an epilogue that neatly ties up the whole game. Now I'm just going to savor the ending I got for a day or so before diving into spoilers that will make it a lot less satisfying.

Everybody died, even though I tried to prevent it. I almost saw the murder coming, why else would they hug ... Went through the fairy land, stepped on tumbelina, fucked the sister on cloud 9 and generally felt like an asshole at the end. The death of the duchess gives the ending really bittersweet taste, Regis is a wanted criminal, at least Yen showed up and wanted to move a unicorn into my estate
biggrin.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm still chewing through Hearts of Stone and taking my time, enjoying myself. Can't wait to get to the end and start on the final chapter.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So I gave in and bought this during the Steam Summer Sale. I very much look forward to getting into it, but man, modern games and their tutorials bug the shit out of me.

The whole "press this button to do this, press that button to do that, (repeat for several buttons and functions), and now you know how to play the game!" approach to game design is just a lousy way to teach players how to play. Instead of telling me about lock on, quick attack, fierce attack, defend, dodge, parry, each battle spell, and how to use/throw bombs in quick succession (an excellent way of ensuring I'll forget much of that by the time it becomes relevant), how about giving me a situation where I need to use just the melee attacks, even providing targets that are more susceptible to one type of attack than the other? Make it a mini-quest with a small reward. Then, another mini-quest where the player is forced to effectively block, dodge and parry. Then one where you have to use specific spell to target specific enemy weaknesses, etc, etc. Give me a tutorial where I learn not just what the buttons do, but in what contexts those functions will come in handy. Let me make use of the commands not just to show the game that I can read a "Press button X" prompt, but to actually establish some level of familiarity and comfort before being tossed out into the world.

Maybe they didn't want to spend too much time teaching and preferred to let the player figure things out through first-hand experience, but I find it annoying that no sooner have I been shown the battle controls when they pile on horse commands and an entire in-game card game. I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on the game (I'm entirely confident that I will soon become comfortable and begin to love it), but I find it interesting how, as far as games have come, we're still fumbling around with awkward and boring tutorials.

I didn't know most people used tutorials. I just do a quick check over the binding setup to see what I have going for me then fuck around in game to iron out the quirks.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I didn't know most people used tutorials. I just do a quick check over the binding setup to see what I have going for me then fuck around in game to iron out the quirks.
That's one way to do it, but I would have the nagging feeling in the back of my head the entire game that I'm not doing something I should be doing that was explained in the tutorial I skipped. Plus, I absolutely can't stand controller map screens. Nothing gets me less in the mood to play a new game than looking at a screen with 30 functions mapped to 20 buttons.

The best tutorials are seamless and just feel like part of the game proper. They introduce features within a relevant context and allow the player to get comfortable with them before moving on.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Stick with it. If you like RPGs, you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy Witcher 3.

spronk

FPS noob
if you are on PC i'd get these mods

auto apply oils:
Auto Apply Oils at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

lingerie remover mod (not full nudity) - all the prostitutes are topless or naked, the full nudity mod makes all chicks naked which is kinda weird but all hookers naked makes sense
The Wild Nudity Project at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

enable debug console (~): you can set weight limit to 1000 or whatever this way so you don't constantly get encumbered
Debug Console Enabler v1.22 at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

extends view distance, if your PC/GPU is modern
Extended View Distance at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

just make a mods folder in your \steam\steamapps\The Witcher 3\ folder and put the modXXXX into that and it should auto work once inside.

I'm playing 10-20 hours a week right now, restarted from ~20% done in my PS4 version from months ago, and still enjoying replaying the entire first third of the game

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Auto-loot, no durability repair, and all quest markers on the map are also highly recommended just for quality of life.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
if you are on PC i'd get these mods

auto apply oils:
Auto Apply Oils at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

lingerie remover mod (not full nudity) - all the prostitutes are topless or naked, the full nudity mod makes all chicks naked which is kinda weird but all hookers naked makes sense
The Wild Nudity Project at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

enable debug console (~): you can set weight limit to 1000 or whatever this way so you don't constantly get encumbered
Debug Console Enabler v1.22 at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

extends view distance, if your PC/GPU is modern
Extended View Distance at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

just make a mods folder in your \steam\steamapps\The Witcher 3\ folder and put the modXXXX into that and it should auto work once inside.

I'm playing 10-20 hours a week right now, restarted from ~20% done in my PS4 version from months ago, and still enjoying replaying the entire first third of the game
Thanks! Those look interesting, but I definitely want to play it vanilla to start. I am kind of getting a "Game Genie" vibe, though!

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
OK, so I put in a good 8 hours or so.

It's clear there's a lot to do, which I love. The world feels lived-in and exploring it is a joy. Collecting everything you find is as satisfying as in Skyrim. The story is interesting enough for me to want to move forward, and I dig the many, many optional side quests waiting to be discovered.

Having said that, the battle mechanics are awful and wouldn't feel out of place in a first-gen N64 title. Attacking is cumbersome and awkward and while I've gotten enough of the hang of it to hold my own, it never feels comfortable. I mean, not every game can have the Arkham battle system, but after Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max benefited from emulating it, janky 3D sword fights seems like a step backwards. It's not a deal-breaker, I can deal with it, it's just something that holds the game down a bit.

Also, when are we going to get to be able to traverse 3D terrain without it becoming a bouncy, buggy, imprecise mess? Some bushes I needed to re-position myself several times before I could pluck flowers. My horse gets caught on everything. I found a box I couldn't loot because, no matter how I positioned myself, it couldn't be targeted. It's never clear what areas you can jump to and which will send you sliding down a slope. I guess it's the nature of the beast, but damned if it doesn't get annoying.

...Which is not to say it's a bad game. It really is very satisfying to make progress in, and the more I play the more it pulls me in. The sheer scale of the game means I'll probably never 100% it, but I can certainly see myself putting many hours into exploring its minutiae.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Tangent, if you have never read the books, I highly recomend them. Many little things are explained. Some things between the books and games contradict, but all in all, they support each other very well. You learn alot more about early Yen, Triss. Even learn the origin of some Gwent cards!