Witcher 3

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
After Witcher 2 I wanted to dig into them, but when I saw they were originally written in Polish I opted out. Granted, I could've done a little more research instead of flat dismissing the idea, but the translation/language barrier made me think that they would read at more of an R. A. Salvatore level than George R. R. Martin level. What do you think?

icarr757_sl

shitlord
After Witcher 2 I wanted to dig into them, but when I saw they were originally written in Polish I opted out. Granted, I could've done a little more research instead of flat dismissing the idea, but the translation/language barrier made me think that they would read at more of an R. A. Salvatore level than George R. R. Martin level. What do you think?
I gotta say, at least for the audiobooks, the translation is GREAT for the witcher books. Other than the wild names for monsters, which we have had since witcher 1, the language of the translation is better than some books written by native English speaking authors in their own books. I am, and continue to be blown away by the audiobooks. Only 1 reader but he does pretty decent at different voice inflection. His Geralt is pretty damn good also, but sounds nothing like the game.

If you are interested, read the 3 short story books first, they lead into the three novels (might be four now). Do not think you will be disapointed.

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
You guys know what to do. Just finished the first expansion and going to start the new one here next weekend. Overall one of the best games I have played.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
103 hours in on my first playthrough and still not done... doing all side missions and exploring all points of interest as I go along. Trying to get it all done as I doubt I'll come back for another playthrough anytime soon.
Surprised I havent experienced my usual sandbox game burnout. The combat is repetitive, but the overall gameplay experience is awesome.

probly take a little break before i dig into expansions, but looking forward to that too!

mods used:
*fast travel from anywhere (because, cmon... sometimes running/swimming to the nearest marker is obnoxious)
*auto apply oils (this immensely helps break the tedium of opening and closing the UI to apply oils)
*increased creature loot (no reason I should kill 10 wolves and not get any meat/hide/etc)
*indestructible items (again, just breaking tedium of weapon/armor maintenance)
*over 9000 weight limit (not trying to play an inventory micromanagement game)
*Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project (pretty)
*Wealthy Vendors with Fair Sale (makes offloading loot easier)

spronk

FPS noob
i finished main game about 2 weeks ago, pretty much 100% all the quests including treasure/contracts and gwent but didn't explore every ? on the map, there are like a fucking bazillion in skellige which I assume are all monster or treasure points. Steam says I'm at 107 hours.

Going to play through the two DLCs after I finish Odin Sphere on PS4, the mods I currently have are

ScriptMerger - merge mods to resolve conflicts, needed with more than a few mods
auto apply oils - yup, nice
fast travel anywhere
LewdPaintings - lol, changes the paintings in one of the DLC quests to be naked tits instead of nature scenery
RemoveLingerie - hookers are all changed to be topless or nude, everywhere, as hookers should be
QuestObjectives - lets you see all quests on a map and switch current quest just by clicking on the map icon
LevelingGearOnlyGM - Grandmaster gear levels with you, I didn't realize until I finished the game that GM gear only is in DLC #2? I only have mastercrafted gear so far
UnlimitedDurability - fuck repairing my equipped gear, Roach like should auto repair stuff

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I have to admit I'm very tempted to install some mods, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd be "cheating", even though it's just adding convenience and minimizing grunt work.

Curse my gaming ethic!

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I have to admit I'm very tempted to install some mods, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd be "cheating", even though it's just adding convenience and minimizing grunt work.

Curse my gaming ethic!
i hear ya... but in my case my gamer OCD causes me to 100% everything, collect everything, explore everything, and especially in these sandbox games that turns into an inventory micromanagement process that usually burns me out too fast.

I got about halfway through this one before saying fuckit and making the game play most comfortable for me without "breaking" anything and making it too easy.

Varrus

Trakanon Raider
Without a doubt, the most immersive single player experience I have played in years. I think I obsessed and put over 300 hours into it and I still haven't played the last expansion but looking forward to it soon too!

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I finished the game about a year ago and picked up the expansions but didn't have the time to play them until recently. Sure enough, the game has completely sucked me in as much as it did when I first played it.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Without a doubt, the most immersive single player experience I have played in years. I think I obsessed and put over 300 hours into it and I still haven't played the last expansion but looking forward to it soon too!

I just cant get into this game for some reason, which makes me a sad panda because everywhere its being hailed as the best RPG in ages. The combat feels flat, the world generic and dear fucking god the cut-scenes that you cant get out of, or I havent figured out how (PS4). Why cant I enjoy this game :(

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm playing through again after beating it shortly after release.

Tris Vs Yen:

I was going to go with Yen this play through because my first was Triss. I just couldn't do it. Yen isn't quite the bitch I remember her as but she is so cold and void of anything remotely attractive to me.

You meet Tris and she bubbles to see you, drops everything to help you, not only is warm and attractive but has that inner glow. I just couldn't make myself do it. Triss is so much more human and easier to love than yen. Yen seems the type for the guy that wants to chase after a chick forever, never really having her.

About to head to Skel.

All my original thoughts about the game are essentially the same. Great game. Amazing main story, also some great side stories. I feel the world detail is nice but empty. Levels held the game back as a game like this screams "go anywhere whenever you want and do whatever". The game still suffers from the level system, trivial content and many of the side quests get sameish. They overused the witcher detective feature.

Still an amazing game.

Rude

Potato del Grande
This game needs its own thread for discussion. Regardless of all DLC being available.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
So I picked up the DLC's but lost all my savegames. I am tempted to replay it but just don't know if I want to sink another 70 hours into it before I get to the DLC stuff. All the save games on the Mod sites are shit too.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like an opportunity to check out one of the latest combat mods, thats what I'm planning to do to finish the DLC.

Rude

Potato del Grande
You can have a preleveled character for either of the DLCs can't you? Granted the gear you would start with isn't good or anything.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Shit. Never even saw that when I was searching, my bad. Would ask for the threads to be merged but not like either have many posts anyway!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I finished the game about a year ago and picked up the expansions but didn't have the time to play them until recently. Sure enough, the game has completely sucked me in as much as it did when I first played it.
Same here. I beat the game when it first came out (my GTX 980 came with the game). I didn't buy the expansions until now and I'm completely sucked in again.