Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Demo out now, release on March 3rd.

Played the demo it has a fun parry system but so far it is a reskin of Nioh, loot, a fuck ton of skills and set items etc. If you played Nioh you know exactly what this is.

Nioh with a dedicated parry button.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I played the demo. I finally figured out I just cannot get through Nioh 1 or 2 and I prefer the slower dark souls/Elden Ring approach far better.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah I played the demo. I finally figured out I just cannot get through Nioh 1 or 2 and I prefer the slower dark souls/Elden Ring approach far better.
Yeah it is a completely different mind set, Nioh and Sekiro is be aggressive, be a sword in endless motion. I beat the first boss and then put it down, will 100% play and beat this game eventually but not in the mood for another one of these right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I played the first demo from a few months ago, not sure if it's the same as the current one. It was definitely Ni-Oh 2.5, but something felt 'off' about the whole thing. Hopefully they ironed it out before release. It's on Game Pass so no reason not to give it a shot. Release is the best time to play their games too, since they inevitably fuck them up with later patches and DLC.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Nioh was pretty good, but Nioh 2's yokai parry system was completely stupid. There's a reason why the FromSoftware games are a hit, its because they follow the "easy to learn, difficult to master" type mentality.

These Soulsborne type clones keep adding in way too much stuff when the games are just fine with basic move sets. I wanted to enjoy a romp through demon-infested feudal Japan, but they wouldn't allow that without mastering 1354329 different button patterns.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This will be on gamepass at launch. Friday?

Yeah so no reason to not give it a shot, but I tried the demo and it was just too noisy. Like Kaige Kaige , I couldn['t keep up with any of the move sets from Nioh 1/2. Just too much going on - I like the slower pace of DS/ER.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Played through the demo of this as well. It actually felt pretty soulsy to me when I started using that big slow 2h great horn weapon. But the random drop system... it sounds good in theory but then trying to read through each item and figure out wtf it is gets kind of old. Especially when drinking. Haha.

Vorph

Anyone looking to get a headstart on this, NZ time travel works for Xbox. Playing it via Game Pass right now.

But the random drop system... it sounds good in theory but then trying to read through each item and figure out wtf it is gets kind of old. Especially when drinking. Haha.
I'm going to play it like Ni-oh, where you always just ignore the random stats and equip whatever has the best protection (within reason, obviously you don't dump a 4* item for 1* just to gain a couple points of armor) while keeping your weight limit in the green for the story. Worry about proper gear once you hit endgame content.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Already dropped this game, the best way to win was spamming attacks versus trying to be skillful. Thank goodness for Game Pass so I didn't lose money by actually buying it.

Vorph

Should be interesting to see the % completion of the tutorial boss achievement after a week or so. I suspect a huge percentage of Game Pass players will never beat it and just delete the game. Also makes me wonder how many game journalists out there reviewed it without actually playing past that point. No way the degenerates who write for places like Polygon, Kotaku, or The Gamer beat that shit unless they begged someone else to play the game for them.

It is a weird design choice though. Everything after that boss is super easy by comparison for quite a while.

-----
Game Pass people can get the pre-order DLC after all; you just need to buy it (for free) from the MS Store. Pretty good armor for the beginning of the game, and both it and the helmet you get from playing the demo can be upgraded for free. Don't worry if you can't upgrade it when you first find the blacksmith--it only works once you have the proper materials in your inventory (but doesn't actually consume them or the copper) so you will need to progress a bit to find a couple more pieces of leather and then run back to her.

Last edited:

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played like 1/3 of the way through Nioh 1 before quitting it. That game was too easy. I played the demo on this one, game is pretty easy best thing to do is dodge/parry it seemed to me.

After quitting Nioh 1, I started Sekiro again and I had a lot of fun learning the boss fights--e.g., Genichiro, Isshin. Nioh 1 bosses didn't hold a candle to Sekiro boss mechanics.

I don't consider Nioh 1 or Wo Long to be a soulsborne game. These games are generic third-person action games with the Souls' die and save your currency run-back mechanic... that's about where the similarities end.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
PS5 version is fine, yeah? If I ever beat Nioh 1 and 2 I'm coming after this one next if it's up to those standards.

Vorph

PS5 version is fine, yeah?

Should be. Haven't been home much so I've played mostly on my Series S with no issues outside of the sunny outdoor level where shadow draw distance is like 5 feet so they constantly pop in and out. Not sure if it happens on XSX and PS5 too, but if it does you can just play that level on quality instead of performance mode.

Definitely wouldn't say this game is up to the standard of Ni-oh 2, but it's still pretty good.

I'm about half through the main story now with all side missions completed and there still hasn't been a single boss remotely as hard as the tutorial fucker. No idea what the hell they were thinking with that retarded ass design.

• 1Like

Caliane

bricked is not the same as full system crash. fuck twitchtv forces me to manually power off my system(as in, flip switch in the back as even the reset button in the front doesn't work) sometimes as it has weird violations with other stuff.

bricked is when it outright damages hardware. burns out gpus, memory, psu's etc.

a game actually bricking your system is major bad news, and reason to never touch it. A game just causing a system crash/unresponsive is annoying, but just annoying.
I suppose it could have, but its not clear or stated in this clip if hardware was damaged.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
bricked is not the same as full system crash. fuck twitchtv forces me to manually power off my system(as in, flip switch in the back as even the reset button in the front doesn't work) sometimes as it has weird violations with other stuff.

bricked is when it outright damages hardware. burns out gpus, memory, psu's etc.

a game actually bricking your system is major bad news, and reason to never touch it. A game just causing a system crash/unresponsive is annoying, but just annoying.
I didn't make the title. I just clippy posty.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Should be. Haven't been home much so I've played mostly on my Series S with no issues outside of the sunny outdoor level where shadow draw distance is like 5 feet so they constantly pop in and out. Not sure if it happens on XSX and PS5 too, but if it does you can just play that level on quality instead of performance mode.

Definitely wouldn't say this game is up to the standard of Ni-oh 2, but it's still pretty good.

I'm about half through the main story now with all side missions completed and there still hasn't been a single boss remotely as hard as the tutorial fucker. No idea what the hell they were thinking with that retarded ass design.

That's pretty stupid because it means the first boss is gonna scare people off unnecessarily.

Lost count of all the times I've seen people say they gave up on ER early because Margit was too hard for a first major boss, or they couldn't beat the Tree Sentinel (that one's a real "what the fuck" because you're not supposed to beat it). Hell I almost gave up on my first Fromsoft game, Bloodborne, because I couldn't beat Father Gascoigne. Then it turned out he was like the 5th hardest fight in the game and it was smooth sailing for a while after that. So ever since then I always tell people to give these games a chance and not give up just because an early fight is hard, since the devs like to do that.

That said, having a first boss that is way tougher than anything after it like Wo Long does really is retarded-ass design.