Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's pretty stupid because it means the first boss is gonna scare people off unnecessarily.

Lost count of all the times I've seen people say they gave up on ER early because Margit was too hard for a first major boss, or they couldn't beat the Tree Sentinel (that one's a real "what the fuck" because you're not supposed to beat it). Hell I almost gave up on my first Fromsoft game, Bloodborne, because I couldn't beat Father Gascoigne. Then it turned out he was like the 5th hardest fight in the game and it was smooth sailing for a while after that. So ever since then I always tell people to give these games a chance and not give up just because an early fight is hard, since the devs like to do that.

That said, having a first boss that is way tougher than anything after it like Wo Long does really is retarded-ass design.
Weed out the weak and soft. I see no problem with this design. Every game doesn't have to be for everybody.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Weed out the weak and soft. I see no problem with this design. Every game doesn't have to be for everybody.

It's stupid if the whole game isn't like that. You're weeding out the weak and soft from a game that they would have been able to play and are now going to walk away from with a bad opinion, completely unnecessarily.

Caliane

"can't beat the first boss, its supposed to weed out the weak" "Every game doesn't have to be for everybody." is kindof a weird thing to think or say for a 70$ game. Imagine buying a game at that price and someone saying that shit to you. oh, really. are you going to refund my money?
oh, course, Steam lets you return games now. but, I mean, you might want to actually put time in trying first, and hit that timer still. And gamepass is a thing.

Back in the day, that was actually totally the norm. game design in its infancy and "nintendo hard" was a thing. Tons of a games were just stupid hard right from the get go. But the caveat there was rentals were a thing quickly as well. solving that problem. letting you try before you buy.

Conceptually I can understand the idea of a difficultly gate at the start of a game. both as a preview of what the later game will be like, and as a forced tutorial. consider how in like Metroid, when you get a powerup, you are usually forced to use that power up to actually leave the room. it makes you prove you understand how it works to move on.

eldrin rings "unwinnable" fight, shows you later mechanics you aren't really supposed to deal with yet. A preview of later game challenges. Darksouls put you into a fight and just killed you over and over till you figured out the controls.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
You don't have to actually finish the tutorial boss..it will prompt you to do a spirit summon and it automatically finishes him off once he's like half health on the phase 2. The problem is that's it's really easy to miss the prompting..I didn't even know you could do that until a second playthrough on the demo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
You don't have to actually finish the tutorial boss..it will prompt you to do a spirit summon and it automatically finishes him off once he's like half health on the phase 2. The problem is that's it's really easy to miss the prompting..I didn't even know you could do that until a second playthrough on the demo.

There isn't even a prompt for it though is there? Other than the blindfolded guy making a statement that you should use some power, and if you pay attention to it, you do see the power charged up at the bottom right, however the actual tutorial to use that skill by pressing two buttons doesn't come up until the next level (or then one after that).

Would think you'd see a prompt saying "press these two buttons" once the blindfolded guy alerts you to it. Though I guess they compensated for the lack of that tutorial by having the dodge tutorial over the screen during the entire ape and then boar fight.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
There isn't even a prompt for it though is there? Other than the blindfolded guy making a statement that you should use some power, and if you pay attention to it, you do see the power charged up at the bottom right, however the actual tutorial to use that skill by pressing two buttons doesn't come up until the next level (or then one after that).

Would think you'd see a prompt saying "press these two buttons" once the blindfolded guy alerts you to it. Though I guess they compensated for the lack of that tutorial by having the dodge tutorial over the screen during the entire ape and then boar fight.
You might be right. I had thought there was something that popped up that I had just clicked through somehow but it might just be the voice prompting.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The problem is that phase 2 of the boss expects you to have already completely mastered the deflect mechanic, since it's essentially the only way to damage him safely, unlike phase 1 where you can basically just stagger lock him into submission. Phase 1 you just need to react to a couple critical attacks with super easy tells; phase two you have to not only react to a couple criticals which are much harder to read, but also you really need to have the rhythm down for not-quite-mashing the deflect button on his normal attacks as well since he has hyper armor for that phase.

oh, course, Steam lets you return games now. but, I mean, you might want to actually put time in trying first, and hit that timer still. And gamepass is a thing.
People don't even have to worry about the two hour limit on refunds since there's a demo that lets you play the tutorial and first real mission.

-------------------------------------

I was wrong about one thing though--Lu Bu is finally the first real challenge since the tutorial. Not the good sort of challenge though, unfortunately. Instead it's the kind of boss where there's two alternating phases and during one you can really only damage his spirit in order to swap him to the other phase, but in that one he pretty much does non-stop attacks with hyper armor meaning you still can really only damage him by slowly whittling down his spirit bar when he does a critical attack. Problem is, he sometimes goes so long between crits that his bar regens and after a certain amount of time he just goes back to phase 1. For extra annoyance, he's a flame boss and critical attacks flash red a second time to let you know when to actually press the button... except there's flames everywhere so you can't see it. Got the timing down on all but one of them, but of course that's the one that just about one shots you even with all points in wood and water plus flame resist on each armor piece.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Asmongold was hilariously awful at this game. He ignored the tutorial entirely then spent the next hour raging as he died over and over due to not understanding that he had to deflect/parry/etc.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Asmongold was hilariously awful at this game. He ignored the tutorial entirely then spent the next hour raging as he died over and over due to not understanding that he had to deflect/parry/etc.
Yea, he is ripping on the game atm saying its just poorly designed, poor animations, etc. Its like he is just saying the game is bad because he was bad at the game. While people who are good at the game, like the game.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
he didnt even use spirit attacks. he just spams normal attacks.

anyway, Wo Long is a mediocre game. I just killed a poison boss and illusion boss too easily. Im quitting there.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
anyway, Wo Long is a mediocre game. I just killed a poison boss and illusion boss too easily. Im quitting there.
Yeah, the longer I play the less interest I have in continuing to the end. Especially when I have Like A Dragon: Ishin! rented and it's a hell of a lot more fun and has a story that's actually interesting. Maybe by the time I finish that Team Ninja will have patched some of the stupid design decisions out of this game.

That's how I picture pretty much every "game journalist" when they try to review it. Except even worse because those people make a retard like Asmongold look like someone who plays Souls games without ever getting hit while using a guitar controller.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Lu bu was the only hard boss, but I realized I hadn’t upgraded any weapon/armor so was screwing myself. Once I did that he was easy. Game is just far too easy imo as outside of Lu bu, I haven’t had a moment of trouble. Love the setting, love the weapons and armor, but like Sekiro (by FAR my least favorite From game), this is just not as good as either Nioh. Great Gamepass game though and I overall liked it ok. Like Sekiro.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
he didnt even use spirit attacks. he just spams normal attacks.

He’s dreadful at any of these “style” games. Watching his reaction time on the tutorial boss was roflcopter

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Lu bu was the only hard boss, but I realized I hadn’t upgraded any weapon/armor so was screwing myself. Once I did that he was easy. Game is just far too easy imo as outside of Lu bu, I haven’t had a moment of trouble. Love the setting, love the weapons and armor, but like Sekiro (by FAR my least favorite From game), this is just not as good as either Nioh. Great Gamepass game though and I overall liked it ok. Like Sekiro.

Sekiro is totally different from the other From games and probably my least favorite as well, which is like being the least attractive body part on 2012 Scarlett Johansson. From what I've heard, once you get good at it, it becomes maybe the most fun of the lot. However I've never been any good at rhythm games and it's basically a rhythm game, so I don't know how it'd go for me. Did fine with it when I tried it but I only did like the first 2-3 hours and beat one boss.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sekiro is totally different from the other From games and probably my least favorite as well, which is like being the least attractive body part on 2012 Scarlett Johansson. From what I've heard, once you get good at it, it becomes maybe the most fun of the lot. However I've never been any good at rhythm games and it's basically a rhythm game, so I don't know how it'd go for me. Did fine with it when I tried it but I only did like the first 2-3 hours and beat one boss.
Genjiro, Owl, and Ishin are three of the very best boss fights they have ever done though.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
sekiro is a rhythm game? news to me, as a guy who can reliably kill genichiro and isshin 🤔

are there telegraphs? yes. are there timings? yes.

but I think that is not enough to make a "rhythm" game

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
sekiro is a rhythm game? news to me, as a guy who can reliably kill genichiro and isshin 🤔

are there telegraphs? yes. are there timings? yes.

but I think that is not enough to make a "rhythm" game

If you want to do perfect parries there is a rhythm to it, like Genichiro has that 1, 2, 3456, 7, 8 pattern to his flurry.

Maybe "rhythm game" is the wrong term, but game with rhythm elements? Seananigans Seananigans pls advise

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If you want to do perfect parries there is a rhythm to it, like Genichiro has that 1, 2, 3456, 7, 8 pattern to his flurry.

Maybe "rhythm game" is the wrong term, but game with rhythm elements? Seananigans Seananigans pls advise

Uh dude it’s just a slightly quicker Bloodborne with a more complex avoidance system. I wouldn’t classify it as a rhythm game any more than any other FromSoft.

Speaking of Sekiro, I’m disappointed you’re foregoing it in favor of the summer of CRPGs!