Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Genre: Documentary

Director: Morgan Neville

Release: 2018-06-08

Plot: Fred Rogers used puppets and play to explore complex social issues: race, disability, equality and tragedy, helping form the American concept of childhood. He spoke directly to children and they responded enthusiastically. Yet today, his impact is unclear. Have we lived up to Fred's ideal of good neighbors?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

June 8th, documentary about Mr. Rogers and his neighborhood

Twitch is also running a marathon of all 856 episodes of Mr. Rogers neighborhood in honor of his 90th birthday.

The greatest american ever? I grew up with Bob Ross and Mr. Rogers, feelsbadman

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Brad2770

uKVIeyh.gif

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
He was an ordained minister but you'd never know it. His speech to a congressional committee was pretty good as well:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would say may he rest in peace but if he is not resting in peace then the rest of us are fucked.

• 3Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm amazed there's not a cult surrounding him. Jesus was mostly myth, but Fred Rogers was everything Jesus was supposed to be and right before our eyes. He's literally the only person you can bring up and I'll get teary. No dead dogs or relatives. Just Mr. Fucking Rogers.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

During the last marathon, the actress who played Lady Aberlin hung out in twitch chat and was giving some insight (although just one side of it obviously). It sounded like most of the cast was all in on his mission and he had basically anointed Chuck Aber as his successor, but PBS didn’t pick up their pitch for a continuation of the show. It also sounded like she had some sort of beef with Mr. McFeely lol. She got pretty passive aggressive/sarcastic when he showed up in an episode and she was in chat.

I think his influence was strongest with the 70s/80s kids. I remember reading some interview where Mr Rogers was in NYC in the early 2000s and some kid didn’t recognize him, but the parent did and freaked out when the kid was rude. He used some child psychology and got the kid to behave, though (kid had some sword and he thought it was a possible projection of wanting to appear strong, so he called the kid on it but let him know he was strong without the sword)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

June 8th, documentary about Mr. Rogers and his neighborhood

Twitch is also running a marathon of all 856 episodes of Mr. Rogers neighborhood in honor of his 90th birthday.

The greatest american ever? I grew up with Bob Ross and Mr. Rogers, feelsbadman

Me too. Fuck I loved the Neighborhood of Make Believe.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you can make it through his acceptance speech without getting misty you are a robot.

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty confident that Betty Aberlin was responsible for my first pre-adolescent boner. She was a total knock-out when she was younger and managed to hang in there pretty well for a while.

• 2Like

Cybsled

The 1968 episodes are currently on Twitch. I jumped in and Betty Aberlin is in chat (or was). Good if you want some behind the scenes insight.

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Just watched this the other day. Get ready to sob like a bitch if you see it. The trailer itself is hard enough.

Maybe the greatest man to live in our lifetimes?

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just watched this. Yeah, you kind of have to go into it knowing that you'll sob like a little bitch at some point.

The man really was a damn saint.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just watched this. Yeah, you kind of have to go into it knowing that you'll sob like a little bitch at some point.

The man really was a damn saint.

I really want to see this.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure there was a more pure human being than Fred Rogers, it's chilling to watch his speeches, you can feel the mans love and passion for what he did, for children and humanity in general. He truly made the world a better place by being in it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's hard to stomach thinking that he likely died without thinking that he really made a difference. He saw just how cynical the world was turning and couldn't see the impact of his actions in the midst of it. It's how I know that he was genuine. Anyone that constantly doubts that they're doing enough good (while already acting towards it) is someone who is actually trying.

There are probably millions of kids that grew up watching him that wouldn't have known some measure of unconditional love without him.

Also, he gets bonus points for being a heavily religious person and not using his platform for pushing it on others.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Hes such a strange man. I kept waiting to hear the dark side come to light, or some kind of scandal. But turns out, the dude was the real deal, which is pretty amazing. I watched this documentary and found it pretty fascinating.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database