WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
LOL, twitter comment about how Moyes will feel vindicated with that Fellaini goal... And now Mertens for the lead.

As far as American youth soccer infrastructure, more American youths play soccer than any other country in the world. The issue is there is a real disconnect once you get to Middle School and definately High School age in that overseas at 16 you can sign a professional contract (18 for Spain) and get paid already while having excellent schooling provided. The MLS is trying to do that where every team has to have a youth Academy that follows a similar structure but for American parents the thought their kid would pass up a scholarship is pretty foreign. College soccer here is a joke but parents will push that over what would be best for their kid becoming a professional.

That's pretty much where I was going when I mentioned 'professional infrastructure'. Think about baseball for a minute and how many layers there are to that before even talking about MLB. Even football, which starts at peewee, through middle and high school then college. What would be soccer's equivalent to that in the US? It's not like every single high school is fielding a soccer team.
Soccer is actually quite popular at the high school level. The youth participation rate is second only to basketball. It's just that once these kids get to the college level and beyond the best ones go where the money is, and in the US that's not soccer.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Fair scoreline I feel

Algeria decent in the first half and then just defend for the second. Hate that mentality. Belgium got the quality but seems to need to gel better as a team rather than play as individuals much like England.

Another 3 goal match. Very entertaining.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's pretty much where I was going when I mentioned 'professional infrastructure'. Think about baseball for a minute and how many layers there are to that before even talking about MLB. Even football, which starts at peewee, through middle and high school then college. What would be soccer's equivalent to that in the US? It's not like every single high school is fielding a soccer team.
most highschools that have sports field both boys and girls soccer teams. The problem is, since there isn't a lot of money to be made surrounding soccer at that level, very few high schools have good, experienced coaching. Most large high schools in any state will put a priority on trying to field competitive basketball and football teams because that can actually bring in some decent cash(in the form of game attendance, people buying tickets and concessions, and ultimately people wanting to live in that city/district for the sake of great athletics programs for their kids in school, and more tax revenue coming in), but soccer just doesn't do that. More often than not, soccer is just coached at most schools by whatever random teachers happen to have some basic knowledge of the game(if even that). Schools definitely aren't out there recruiting soccer coaches like they do with football and basketball coaches at the high school level.

At least, not very many schools. There may be a few private schools around the country that are known as soccer powerhouses that maybe put a priority on it, but it's definitely not the norm in 99% of highschools. And in reality, there aren't as many full-ride soccer scholarships available to kids who want to play at the next level in college either. Schools want to be known for putting kids into D-1 football scholarships, but that same opportunity isn't really there with soccer. Sure, there are scholarships available, but not as many as exist for football at all the varying levels of college.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
God damn, this World Cup is the gift that keeps on giving. It's been absolutely awesome since the first match. I can think of only one match that stunk (Iran/Nigeria, go figure), but aside from that every game has been compelling. Like the look of that Belgium side, but think they're one WC short of making a serious run. Mexico can give Brazil a game next - should be fun. Sucks to be back at the office though.....

Neki

Molten Core Raider
As Springbok said, I think this tournament is one too early for Belgium.

I think they would be a serious contender for the 2016 Euros.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The announcer for this game on ESPN broadcast is fucking terrible. Its so bad I cant even really watch the game without muting it. Not only is he evaluating every chance play wrong, but he has nothing interesting to say, nor does his partner.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The announcer for this game on ESPN broadcast is fucking terrible. Its so bad I cant even really watch the game without muting it. Not only is he evaluating every chance play wrong, but he has nothing interesting to say, nor does his partner.
Univision all the the way. Who cares if you can't understand them, it's more exciting to listen too.

Szlia

You can't score against the great Ochoa! Keeper of the mighty AC Ajaccio that just got relegated to the french 2nd division after suffering 72 goals in 38 matches!

More seriously, that first half was very entertaining.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Brazil really struggling out there. Their midfield is getting outplayed by Mexico.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Damn, is this Mexico goalkeeper on drugs or something? Monster performance.