WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
And will then grow up to spend their time, and more importantly, theirmoneyon American football, basketball, and baseball. Probably in that order. K.O. is so right.

When A Tie Is A Win, We All Lose - YouTube
Why is he right? How often do NFL teams that have already clinched a play off berth rest key players and end up losing a game or two going into the play offs? I dislike draws as much as anyone else but playing OT for every soccer game just isn't feasible. With limited subs, the physical toll of the game, and how difficult it is to score, matches could end up lasting forever. Also, penalty kicks suck. I'd rather they just draw than decide all those games with PKs.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Defor isn't normally a starter so his red card really means nothing. If on the other hand it was Hazard then yeah, that would be amazing for the US but since Belgium have nothing to play for he's on the bench.

Jones has been our best player but as you can tell he's not used to being so offensive nor does he really have the talent for it. Zusi, Bedoya, and Davis have offered basically nothing in 3 games. I don't expect anything to change for the Belgium game but starting Yedlin or maybe Diskerud and Johannsen so Dempsey can play in the midfield might be a better option. With no Altidore why play with a designated striker? Just seems counterproductive.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That 3 second Brazil World Cup promo, with the African choir, that ESPN comes in and out of all their commercials with is really fucking annoying.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's all irrelevant really, because no one in the US is going to give a shit about soccer when we eventually lose in the next round.
I heard today that MLS games have 20 to 40k people watching in the stadiums. Is that correct? doesn't really sound like no one giving a shit.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I heard today that MLS games have 20 to 40k people watching in the stadiums. Is that correct? doesn't really sound like no one giving a shit.
I wouldn't consider game attendance to be a indicator of people caring. The real interest (and money) is in the TV viewership, which I can say from someone who watches a lot of sports. MLS is almost irrelevant in that case.

Jovec

?
Total MLS TV revenue is about $30 million per year. By contrast, ESPN is currently paying about $112 million for the right to broadcast a single MNF game. Total NFL TV revenue is $4.95 billion per year.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
One does 40k the rest are pretty much under 20k. We pay attention to the World Cup because it's a great event where you can see the best in the sport compete and because Murica! Same way Europeans watch the Super Bowl then give two shits about it for the rest of the year, that is how we are with Soccer.

Major League Soccer attendance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
While soccer has never been one of the big sports in the US, it has continually increased in popularity the past 20 years (coinciding with the start of MLS). I think what the owners are betting on is the generational shift that will make it popular. My nephews, and most of their friends, watch MLS and know the top players, as well as top international players. Also, the amount of kids playing soccer now continues to grow and is catching up easily to baseball or football. This is something that was missing from most of our childhoods (unless you grew up in Europe or had European parents), but is becoming a part of the new generations' lives, just as football and baseball was to us. In 2000 USYS participation alone busted 3million and has been above that every year.
The main challenge, of course, is advertising. 45 minutes without advertising isn't a big money-maker. I think as popularity grows, though, we'll start getting on screen ads in the corner or other ways of incorporating ads into the games which will help make it more profitable to broadcast. Advances in camera technology also make it more exciting visually. Not just one or two fixed camera angles for 90 minutes.

Oh, and I read an article saying over 1 billion people will watch the final match of world cup.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
While soccer has never been one of the big sports in the US, it has continually increased in popularity the past 20 years (coinciding with the start of MLS). I think what the owners are betting on is the generational shift that will make it popular. My nephews, and most of their friends, watch MLS and know the top players, as well as top international players. Also, the amount of kids playing soccer now continues to grow and is catching up easily to baseball or football. This is something that was missing from most of our childhoods (unless you grew up in Europe or had European parents), but is becoming a part of the new generations' lives, just as football and baseball was to us. In 2000 USYS participation alone busted 3million and has been above that every year.
The main challenge, of course, is advertising. 45 minutes without advertising isn't a big money-maker. I think as popularity grows, though, we'll start getting on screen ads in the corner or other ways of incorporating ads into the games which will help make it more profitable to broadcast. Advances in camera technology also make it more exciting visually. Not just one or two fixed camera angles for 90 minutes.

Oh, and I read an article saying over 1 billion people will watch the final match of world cup.
Thing is this conversation pops up every 4 years during the World Cup and then fades back to being ignored. There is just too much competition for the sports dollar and people would rather see the best in the world then D league MLS players or ones that can't cut it in the EPL anymore.

I actually enjoy watching the EPL from time to time because I have zero loyalty to any club or city it represents. I can just enjoy the game. I give zero fucks about MLS games and never watch them.

Szlia

No commercial break every 5 minutes is what kills soccer on TV in the US. That said, I saw some matches on Italian TV and they had micro-commercials they fit during the many short breaks there are in a half.

As for film-making, it should be said that there are different traditions for filming the sport depending on the countries. I don't remember the specifics (I could dig the article and find them if you are interested, I read it the other week), but I believe the english tradition is to use a wide shot from up in the stands most of the time, a single camera providing like 90% of the images of the match, with replays being rare. French tradition inserts a lot of replays and close-ups (notably travelings by the side lines), even if you sometime lose the overall disposition of the team or parts of the live action. The article was about how the different directors that come from the world over have to dull their national style to make it world compatible which can result in some minor problems (missing post-goal kick-off because of replays, missing quickly played free-kicks or corners because of close-ups).

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
South-Korea down.
JCVD Stomach Strike.gif

USA next!
giphy.gif

Tea_sl

shitlord
No commercial break every 5 minutes is what kills soccer on TV in the US. That said, I saw some matches on Italian TV and they had micro-commercials they fit during the many short breaks there are in a half.
If there were people clamoring for television coverage in the US, then the networks would do what America is actually good at and monetize the everloving fuck out of it.