World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why the fuck doesn't he finish his drinks
I always get a big ass drink if I happen to be thirsty and at a convenience store and I almost never finish it. Gets watered down, or get tired of the drink long before I swig down 44oz or whatever size that is. Now if I got it, and then eating lunch or something, that's easy, but just on it's own? nawwww

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't lie, we're all jealous of the level of neckbeard Asmongold goes to, and he literally gets paid for it. The only difference is he doesn't live in a basement. He is living the sterotypical dream.

We've all met, played with, and played against a few Asmongolds in our time as gamers. I find something incredibly charming about someone like him finding such success through the unhealthy gamer lifestyle many of us have flirted with at one point or another.

He's like an avatar or patron saint of the unwashed mmo rabble.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Then come back and slum it with us, fool.

No, really. I need the help.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Lotsa Azerite trait nerfs. Blizzard knockin it outta the park.

"We see some of you are stacking some of these general traits so let's go ahead and put a stop to all that with a 35% nerf."

The size of these changes both plus and minus are so big that their testing just has to be ass.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This looks like a fun read. I have a pretty sweet WoW Lore book I got at Blizzcon years ago that's all fancy and shit with cool pictures and captions. Might get this one to go with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm really looking forward to that book. Right off the bat he mentions they were using fucking Quake 3 level editor to make dungeons didn't really work out very well lmao.

I'm forever interested in game development and it's extremely rare that we get looks into MMO development. It's basically nonexistant from that timeframe he worked on the game as well. Going to be cool as fuck, can't wait.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yup. I'm not subbing to the kickstarter full pack because his wrist isn't going to survive the 635 dedicated books he already has; but I'm getting the hardcover...

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not saying that at all.

It might be somewhat like F1 if on the one hand you hand semi-autonomous fast cars and on the other hand you had stock Toyota Corollas, but that's still not a good analogy because it treats the issue backwards and in that scenario no amount of driver skill can really ever compensate to compete. I'll tie this back into F1 at the end in an analogy that isn't about the car (because the "skill" that is add-ons isn't giving you a new "I WIN" button).

Add-ons don't raise the ceiling of play, they raise the floor. Basically by saying the base game obfuscates critical information, the add-on processes these complexities and presents it to you in an easier to comprehend/easier to see/easier to react manner. It's still possible to play perfectly without add-ons––you can still be a World First Mythic Raider without them, hypothetically––but add-ons simplify the game.

I'll paint a quick example: Little Tommy uses the base UI without add-ons. His DPS is bad because he doesn't know his rotation and pushes things mostly at random anyway, he stands in fire on the regular, and struggles to follow LFR "mechanics." It's okay though, because he is good enough to level to 120, hit all his factions, probably do heroic dungeons, might find some success in Mythic0 groups, and whatever the rest of the content is this expansion.

Big Tom, on the other hand, uses all of Sco's custom add-ons. His DPS is a little above average because the game tells him which ability to use next (though he's still slow at pressing it), he still stands in some fire but usually move out of it quickly, and can do a good job with normal "mechanics" and might even make it through some heroic raiding. He's never going to be a Mythic Raider, but he's a solid enough contributor in some low/mid M+ keys, stomps through the leveling process, laughs at heroic dungeons, and runs through M0's with ease.

The way you set up the game to present information to you is huge. It's possible for great players to do well with poor/stock setups (I've seen it across many games), but for the average player it's a huge boon. Most of those World First Mythic Raiders are heavily leveraging Add-Ons and it's not for quality of life. You still have to push some buttons, play the game––like your F1 driver still has to drive the car––but you outsource a significant chunk of the information processing––like your F1 driver has engineers and a Race Director guiding him along to varying degrees––and that's just how the game goes. Drivers who are given good advice over the radio and are coached well in the moment are typically going to have better success than drivers who have no radio communications at all. The same way that F1 regulates the advice a driver may receive and from whom, the Add-On API isn't a source of infinite power – because at the end of the day, the driver still has to drive and execute his teams' instructions, and the WoW player still has to play and push the buttons.

So I'll admit I might have misinterpreted your comment. If what you are saying is that Blizzard has done absolutely nothing to leverage their own interface in order to bring new players up to speed I completely agree. However addons are here to stay and its more the failure of Blizzards part to not integrate them into the base game. I mean the coding is already there you lazy fucks what are you waiting for? These idiots literally don't have a clue on how to road map this game.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only required addon I can even think of is DBM.. and even then, I guess you could play without it. DBM just makes it easier to figure stuff out.

I dont even know anyone that uses a rotation helper.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I recently added a damage meter as my only addon. Yes, I am indeed one of those unwashed plebes who uses the default UI and likes it. There are a couple of times where having something like DBM would be nice (I think of this everytime I open up the adventure journal to remember what this next boss does) butI like the overall style of the default UI too much. Most of the UX changes make the game either too buys or adopt an East German sort of sterility.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The fact that you can see the white of his eyes all the way around the iris indicates that Asmongold is more than a bit unhinged. No normal person has eyes that are that open.