World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

xzi

Mouthbreather
pvp islands are good and that's about it but all 9 people that play them went back to arenas already

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
AP... And a small amount of doubloons and other random trash shit

This is the real problem with Islands. It's all cosmetic and a miniscule amount of AP... that happens to be the best source of repeatable AP in the game.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Islands also give you a boat mission once a week. Mine this week is for Titan Residium. Last week was 5k gold. It's worth it to spend 40 minutes a week raping creatures to get the treasure map.

rinthea

Trakanon Raider
I think skimmins was telling us once that he was at a furor BBQ once and someone asked him about player feedback and he couldn't stop laughing.

I would take a bullet for skimmins so I believe him

I wouldn't be surprised. The problem is in aggregate player/client feed back 95% of the time awful. Idiotic, clueless, screeching retarded rambling.

So they rely on stats and some moron employees who have qualifications in certain fields but don't understand the product (i.e play the game/understand game design).
The solution is to find the small subset of players/clients that aren't retarded and listen to them. But that window is long closed.

xzi

Mouthbreather
yeah but more specifically he was talking about vanilla-era iirc, where Ion ended up eventually getting a job because his guild was the reason for C'Thun being nerfed while all the blizzard employees were like "haha you guys just suck" instead of listening to the then-best players in the world

They have never and will never listen to feedback

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Island missions now give the weekly quest that can give you 5k gold or currency for the new armor and they changed it so you only have to do 3 mythic ones to finish.

Also they changed it so the loot table is now everything on the island, not just the stuff you kill so lots more transmog etc.

Worth doing now for sure.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Listen, I get that you don't like being able to run around and group up shit that doesn't leash so you can AE the fuck out of it for a nice, quick, satisfying leveling path but that doesn't mean Islands Suck Dick.

Wait... you were one of those guys who couldn't handle more than one pack at a time because if you didn't pay attention to what the shit was doing it would CC you and you'd die... weren't you? WEREN'T YOU?!
One of my beefs with the new islands is that you regularly get into:

1) You have that necromancer pack that wrecks your 385 geared asses (and you can't escape; you die and swallow the respawn timer and lost close to a minute)
2) the opposing team has started his azerite exploit... sorry, extractor, somewhere, and you have no idea where, and they're shooting ahead fast now

I can't complete a quest in 4 heroic islands now. There will be at least one in which we fail. I assume that some devs will tell you that you can't win if you can't lose, but the only reason I'm still grinding is that I still accept that I have currencies to grind for mounts and pets.

And that's what saddens me, because if I ever say "sod it" for the currency grind, all my motivation will collapse at the same time, I'm not going to keep logging in for the guild raids either.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Islands also give you a boat mission once a week. Mine this week is for Titan Residium. Last week was 5k gold. It's worth it to spend 40 minutes a week raping creatures to get the treasure map.

They also can give you island reward options. I got the cold light murloc pet which basically was not dropping for a long time at all and I know somebody who got one of the mounts. So for the small time it takes its worth doing at least enough to bang out your once per week thing.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of my beefs with the new islands is that you regularly get into:

1) You have that necromancer pack that wrecks your 385 geared asses (and you can't escape; you die and swallow the respawn timer and lost close to a minute)
2) the opposing team has started his azerite exploit... sorry, extractor, somewhere, and you have no idea where, and they're shooting ahead fast now

I can't complete a quest in 4 heroic islands now. There will be at least one in which we fail. I assume that some devs will tell you that you can't win if you can't lose, but the only reason I'm still grinding is that I still accept that I have currencies to grind for mounts and pets.

And that's what saddens me, because if I ever say "sod it" for the currency grind, all my motivation will collapse at the same time, I'm not going to keep logging in for the guild raids either.

One thing to note is a loss on an island does not mean much of anything. You still get progress for your weekly to match how well you did so if you just barely lose there is almost no difference. Basically you just lose out on a tiny bit of azerite that is your end of match victory bonus. So you can lose islands although rarely and in general it won't impact your completion of the weekly in any significant way.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One thing to note is a loss on an island does not mean much of anything. You still get progress for your weekly to match how well you did so if you just barely lose there is almost no difference. Basically you just lose out on a tiny bit of azerite that is your end of match victory bonus. So you can lose islands although rarely and in general it won't impact your completion of the weekly in any significant way.
I was more worried about the loss of collectibles from the "lost" island... you do seem to get stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got a penalty for losing.

Or maybe not. It's blizzard, so maybe you get a straight % of your final azerite count...

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was more worried about the loss of collectibles from the "lost" island... you do seem to get stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got a penalty for losing.

Or maybe not. It's blizzard, so maybe you get a straight % of your final azerite count...

There is a penalty when you win you get a blue or green bonus azerite crystal thing and you don't get that on a loss. The penalty is pretty minor I have still gotten pets and transmog stuff on a loss. Hell before 8.1 the hard core island grinders recommended just ignoring losses it was more lucrative to kill all the elites and complete invasions and lose than it was to play right and win. In 8.1 it seems like it shifts more to just play the island but I still have not noticed any major difference in item drops win or lose and honestly I mostly do them to punch out my weekly and unless you have two afkers the difference azerite wise between a win and a loss is minimal.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I lost an island last week and got 2 pets, a mog, and a pouch of coins.

I wouldn't stress over it.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I pretty much stopped doing anything but invasions and raiding. I want that teleport ring just cause. I actually am half dreading the patch because it makes me feel like I need to do more and I don't want to.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is a penalty when you win you get a blue or green bonus azerite crystal thing and you don't get that on a loss. The penalty is pretty minor I have still gotten pets and transmog stuff on a loss. Hell before 8.1 the hard core island grinders recommended just ignoring losses it was more lucrative to kill all the elites and complete invasions and lose than it was to play right and win. In 8.1 it seems like it shifts more to just play the island but I still have not noticed any major difference in item drops win or lose and honestly I mostly do them to punch out my weekly and unless you have two afkers the difference azerite wise between a win and a loss is minimal.
Yea, the main "problem" was that I needed to add a normal after the 4 heroics almost all the times to wrap the weekly.

Anyway, great, thanks! I would still finish the weekly anyway, but I was bothered by the loss and potential loss of stuff. Given my rotten luck (I get one quest item... maybe... per week... It's been 4 weeks since I got any armor), I was starting to think that your chances of getting stuff would be greatly reduced if you lost.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Does anyone know what the secondary effect for Azerite gear in BoD is going to be (new version of re-origination array on Laser Matrix/Archive pieces from Uldir)

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Ya there isn't one (thankfully)

Yeah, was slightly annoyed that I'd be destroying people on dps in m+ then I'd fill a buddies Mythic raid and would lose to the same people I was slapping around because they had ten stacks of the buff or whatever it was. Really killed any desire to help friends with raids because I don't have the schedule availability to raid on a set schedule.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I pretty much stopped doing anything but invasions and raiding. I want that teleport ring just cause. I actually am half dreading the patch because it makes me feel like I need to do more and I don't want to.
One thing to note is invasions give a shitton of rep doing them and you can ding your 7th legion or honor bound reps like crazy. Each paragon box is around 5k gold 500 resources and 20 warfront resources. Doing invasions and normal stuff has made me 80k gold since 8.1