World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
From what I've seen it looks like that equates to one level every week. So the amount necessary to go from 20-21 next week will become the same amount necessary to go from 19-20 this week. So basically I'm going to be getting about 1 neck level every week.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
prot warriors doing fantastic, I see

z2xsjie2wqm11.jpg

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I feel like they missed the mark a bit with levelling your Heart of Azeroth. The majority of time, when you level up your necklace, you gain little to no benefit. Sometimes you might unlock a ring on a piece of azerite gear you have, but other than that it is simply 2 ilvls and a little more secondary stats.

They made a mistake locking the outer ring to your neck level imo. The first ring should be available for every player regardless of their neck level. That outer ring is the trait that gives the piece of gear all of its power, so let players access it. Right now, let's say a trait becomes available at level 16. Well, I think they should have made that trait available at level 1, and every time you gain a level on your necklace, that azerite trait gets a little more powerful. Once your neck level is 16, that trait is now as powerful as it can possibly get, and at 17 you unlock the next ring like you currently do. Then that ring gets a bit more powerful until you reach the "cap" for it, and the next level gets you the next ring etc.

This way players would at least feel like they are making some progress every time they level up their neck, and maybe make the AP grind a little more tolerable. Maybe, idk.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Method stacking 4 warlocks into their raid for G'Huun in order to create a network of Demon Portals to make the volleyball minigame easier. lol. That is some wild shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The problem is If you're in a mythic guild what benefit do you have bringing a prot warrior over any other tank? I can't think of a single one (I know there are prot mains here, don't shoot me)

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I understand how scaling works just fine. My Horde character that's in the FoH guild that I haven't touched in two weeks is also at 18. Did you see me on a lot? Was I banging out content? If you have been playing since the release of BFA and your neck is at 19 you are actively avoiding doing basically any content what so ever.

If your whole world revolves around the Island Expedition grind, then sure, I have been "actively avoiding doing basically any content what so ever," and that's why I'm only 50% into 19. Never mind doing 55 mythic dungeons, being half way through revered (or more) on every faction, and 2 Uldir normal clears, with a couple heroic bosses.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel like they missed the mark a bit with levelling your Heart of Azeroth. The majority of time, when you level up your necklace, you gain little to no benefit. Sometimes you might unlock a ring on a piece of azerite gear you have, but other than that it is simply 2 ilvls and a little more secondary stats.

They made a mistake locking the outer ring to your neck level imo. The first ring should be available for every player regardless of their neck level. That outer ring is the trait that gives the piece of gear all of its power, so let players access it. Right now, let's say a trait becomes available at level 16. Well, I think they should have made that trait available at level 1, and every time you gain a level on your necklace, that azerite trait gets a little more powerful. Once your neck level is 16, that trait is now as powerful as it can possibly get, and at 17 you unlock the next ring like you currently do. Then that ring gets a bit more powerful until you reach the "cap" for it, and the next level gets you the next ring etc.

This way players would at least feel like they are making some progress every time they level up their neck, and maybe make the AP grind a little more tolerable. Maybe, idk.

I agree with this as well. I think they intended every time you gained a heart level you would unlock something but in practice you go 2 or 3 heart levels with nothing then suddenly you unlock stuff on all three pieces. I think with the catch up mechanic stuff a lot of this probably fixes itself over time regardless but the debut of this system has made it feel odd and very clumsy. Also when you do unlock the final part of that piece it should feel like a major improvement to the item. But as is it is just +5 ilevels which is mostly a yawn for most people.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For those that haven't seen it, a dude soloed N Mother using Pally cheese with the talent Last Defender

You might wonder were all these worms came from... Well they are from the amazing dungeon Waycrest Manor.

You might wonder "how could you possibly get those into Uldir?"
First you need to get infected by the Devouring Maggots in Waycrest on Heroic or Mythic difficulty. The infected debuff causes worms to spawn, with a chance to be infectious on their own. You are able to bring the debuff outside of the dungeon, wherever you want! You spawn 2 worms from the debuff, the chance to spawn an infectious is about 50%. With luck this chain will keep going until you able to stack up loads. However you might lose all the infectious ones and then you have to gather new ones.

Second thing, how to actually bring them to Uldir is by either having your HS set near the raid and slowly bring the debuff to the raid. Or having people summoning you there. Warlock is the best since it brings you directly inside, but using sum stone outside works too! Then you keep trying to stack up the worms into huge groups until you have enough to challenge the boss!

Be careful not to have too many worms since it might cause a crash. However since the worms are silenced inside the boss encounter area, the chance of this happening is lower than at other locations / encounters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hilarious watching that because as he's tanking he's getting hit by a hundred worms, so his character's jiggling like crazy. haha

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
On one hand it would be cool to make the kind of money he making sitting around playing WoW.. on the other hand I wouldn't be able to live in utter shit like he does even for that kind of money.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
This is like saying much of the skill in F1 is having the right engine built and the right telemetry and the driver does jack shit. Please stop. WOW isn't held back by the massive amount of information a player can extract from the environment. In fact it thrives because of that fact.

It's not saying that at all.

It might be somewhat like F1 if on the one hand you hand semi-autonomous fast cars and on the other hand you had stock Toyota Corollas, but that's still not a good analogy because it treats the issue backwards and in that scenario no amount of driver skill can really ever compensate to compete. I'll tie this back into F1 at the end in an analogy that isn't about the car (because the "skill" that is add-ons isn't giving you a new "I WIN" button).

Add-ons don't raise the ceiling of play, they raise the floor. Basically by saying the base game obfuscates critical information, the add-on processes these complexities and presents it to you in an easier to comprehend/easier to see/easier to react manner. It's still possible to play perfectly without add-ons––you can still be a World First Mythic Raider without them, hypothetically––but add-ons simplify the game.

I'll paint a quick example: Little Tommy uses the base UI without add-ons. His DPS is bad because he doesn't know his rotation and pushes things mostly at random anyway, he stands in fire on the regular, and struggles to follow LFR "mechanics." It's okay though, because he is good enough to level to 120, hit all his factions, probably do heroic dungeons, might find some success in Mythic0 groups, and whatever the rest of the content is this expansion.

Big Tom, on the other hand, uses all of Sco's custom add-ons. His DPS is a little above average because the game tells him which ability to use next (though he's still slow at pressing it), he still stands in some fire but usually move out of it quickly, and can do a good job with normal "mechanics" and might even make it through some heroic raiding. He's never going to be a Mythic Raider, but he's a solid enough contributor in some low/mid M+ keys, stomps through the leveling process, laughs at heroic dungeons, and runs through M0's with ease.

The way you set up the game to present information to you is huge. It's possible for great players to do well with poor/stock setups (I've seen it across many games), but for the average player it's a huge boon. Most of those World First Mythic Raiders are heavily leveraging Add-Ons and it's not for quality of life. You still have to push some buttons, play the game––like your F1 driver still has to drive the car––but you outsource a significant chunk of the information processing––like your F1 driver has engineers and a Race Director guiding him along to varying degrees––and that's just how the game goes. Drivers who are given good advice over the radio and are coached well in the moment are typically going to have better success than drivers who have no radio communications at all. The same way that F1 regulates the advice a driver may receive and from whom, the Add-On API isn't a source of infinite power – because at the end of the day, the driver still has to drive and execute his teams' instructions, and the WoW player still has to play and push the buttons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Don't lie, we're all jealous of the level of neckbeard Asmongold goes to, and he literally gets paid for it. The only difference is he doesn't live in a basement. He is living the sterotypical dream.

Also about that Solo Mother video: Last Defender is slept on making me a ranged character. Also actually allows me to fucking be viable in raids for the first time ever. Prot paladin is the sleeper tank this expansion lads