World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ffxivs major drawback is certainly story gating

There's no reason in 2019 that if I buy an expansion I can't even zone in until completing two expansions worth of MSQ. Tha fact you have to pay for those skips is even more atrocious. Think of how many more people would play if that wall was down

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just give me a game world with hard-roles(classes) where you feel needed and unique, no gating, a million old sebs(with no raiding), and let me camp some shit with my friends. Oh, and bring back a faction system that matters and isn't boring.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just give me a game world with hard-roles(classes) where you feel neded and unique, no gating, a million old sebs(with no raiding), and let me camp some shit with my friends. Oh, and bring back a faction system that matters and isn't boring.

Vanguard had some of the better balance between solo power and group necessity. It wouldn't be "back to EQ", today in an alternate timeline it would be "well back to Vanguard". There would be no "back to EQ".

The variety was there and every spec felt strong as fuck in its own unique way. WoW used to have that, it was the king of combat-- and that's the reason why it was so successful.

BFA's damage to its current consumer base and subscriber numbers largely come from gameplay and combat that is no longer fun.

The % tooltip balancing metrics that BFA relied on for damage homogenization was devastating.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What a crazy concept, actually having to play the game in the order in which content was released. How dare they. :p

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What a crazy concept, actually having to play the game in the order in which content was released. How dare they. :p
Yeah this doesn't sound like somebody that has played FFXIV and experienced what they require.

If it helps it would be almost like requiring Loremaster for every zone before allowing someone to move on to the next expansion no matter if you out level it or not. Include hundreds of hours of cutscenes of which some are unskippable. Also require old dungeons to be completed in order for you to unlock each quest, that doesn't sound so bad, which you are level synced down to and will lose whatever abilities you have that is higher than that dungeon while doing them.

On paper it's a concept that isn't the worst but in actuality it can be quite painful.

xzi

Mouthbreather
That's the only thing stopping me from playing final fantasy over wow lol
and fuck any "pay to skip" option in an mmo, including buying level boosts

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does it really.surprise you when their fanbase spends all day posting pictures of their gay decorations and outfits on the subreddit

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah this doesn't sound like somebody that has played FFXIV and experienced what they require.

I've actually been on FFXIV since 2.0 launched, I just did all of this gated content back when it was current so it didn't feel so bad. In short, no I don't know your pain. But still, it was an enjoyable ride - why is everyone these days in such a hurry to get to the end game?

And your comparison to Loremaster is not even close. I've done that too and fuck that shit it was way more tedious than just some story quests.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I've actually been on FFXIV since 2.0 launched, I just did all of this gated content back when it was current so it didn't feel so bad. In short, no I don't know your pain. But still, it was an enjoyable ride - why is everyone these days in such a hurry to get to the end game?
Because that is where the rest of the people are. It would be one thing if this was right at the the launch of an expansion.

I totally agree that the game should be played as it launched but there is a masochistic level that the Japanese require in their games. I dig it and knew what I was getting into but I think they would get a million long term customers from WoW refugees this year alone.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Because that is where the rest of the people are. It would be one thing if this was right at the the launch of an expansion.

I totally agree that the game should be played as it launched but there is a masochistic level that the Japanese require in their games. I dig it and knew what I was getting into but I think they would get a million long term customers from WoW refugees this year alone.

Haha you're probably right. I guess in a way I am severely out of touch with what the majority of players out there expect from a modern MMO. I'm glad you're still enjoying it, even with the gated climb through the story; as others have said it's worth it in the long run. I honestly don't care for their version of the content skip, making people pay for an item that skips expansions just seems like a meh thing to do; but in comparison simply just letting you start any expansion without having done/acknowledging the story of the previous would not really play off well in this game; past shit is referenced a good bit and we're talking major storyline divergences that would be needed for player01 who did everything, player02 who skipped this_expansion but did that_expansion, player03 who skipped EVERY expansion, and so on. It would be a fucking mess unfortunately.

That being said, i'd probably still enjoy the gated leveling even if I hadn't done this stuff when it was current. EQ brought out the fucking masochist in me and i've been that way in about every game i've played sense. Hell, how else would I have put up with WoW for the last 10 years of content or so? :p

• 1Like

taimaishoo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Meh, I'd be fine with WoW if they'd just get over all the god damn RNG alongside gating. Also sack Azerite armor and make the neck work the same as the Artifact weapon.
So pretty much if it were a different game.

• 1Worf

xzi

Mouthbreather
Does it really.surprise you when their fanbase spends all day posting pictures of their gay decorations and outfits on the subreddit

bunch of fucking queers

please don't look at my transmog post history

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
New raid comes out and no one here even talks about it

From what I saw it looked very uninspired

• 1Worf