World of Warcraft: Classic

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Yah I think about the positive changes that could be had if they diverged in TBC, and then I weigh the possibility of if and how they would implement those changes.

For example, the only thing I would really want is no flying, just add more FP's (land, kill mob, take off game play is the worst). But TBC was kind of built for flying in some parts, which means possibly killing the patient with a simple outpatient procedure. It would better not to touch it.

The only thing I would risk is finishing original content that never made the cut for original release. At least that way the devs team would be somewhat constrained by the original vision. If the restored content sucks ass at least it doesn't mess with the rest of the game too bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think this dev team is entirely clueless in what made vanilla wow magical. Especially the one thats in the lead now, "Hurr.. why would you want to play without a dungeon finder?"

And I agree, flying was one of the dumb things they added to the game. It sounded sweet in the beginning, but had huge ramifications to the game in ways they could never predict. At least they were smart enough to make it super expensive plus you had to do the shit on foot first, before getting to fly through it.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Northrend loses massive immersion after you get flying. Its convenient, but boy does it shit on that expansion. You feel small and insignificant when you're on the ground in front of Icecrown Citadel, but in the air it looks like no big deal.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I think it would be pretty cool if they developed an expansion to build off of Classic. Maybe start simple, re-release TBC but add a couple new zones or something.
Doubt they'll do this, but how about take a different direction? Just slowly add content to Classic. Character level will stay at 60, no new skills, and progression will be purely item based.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
They should skip Burning Crusade and go right into Wrath of the Lich King. Outlands was awful.

They could release Blood Elves and Draenei with a slightly different story. Draenei just crash landed, no "elves in space stole our ships" nonsense. Blood elves starting area works just fine because it has Scourge elements. They could create more content with Northern(?) Stratholme (there's a spot for it on the map that's never been used). They can use classic Zul'Aman and Karazhan as raids. They could use the Caverns of Time for filling out more content, since it holds several dungeons that are also anchored in Classic scenarios. You could also take the Battle for Mount Hyjal and unfuck it - make it an actual ongoing content zone instead.

Later on, release WotLK and add in all the Nerubian stuff that got ditched as well. They could tie up the Bronze Dragonflight and Caverns of Time story line with a Bronze Sanctum raid. Don't add flying, either.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is all cool to talk about etc. But is there any chance that they are going to do anything other than just release TBC after a while? I'm curious, I know some of you guys have insight into the company culture, it seems like that would just be admitting defeat on BFA and wasting a ton of resources, and (again it seems to me, not a game dev) that there's no way they can sustain development on both retail and classic in tandem.

• 1Like

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Bliz has been coy and stayed away from saying anything with certainty so the possibility of new vanilla content is technically still out there, but I’d be extremely surprised if any of that happens rather than just doing TBC + WotLK.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is all cool to talk about etc. But is there any chance that they are going to do anything other than just release TBC after a while? I'm curious, I know some of you guys have insight into the company culture, it seems like that would just be admitting defeat on BFA and wasting a ton of resources, and (again it seems to me, not a game dev) that there's no way they can sustain development on both retail and classic in tandem.

Don't have any insight to Blizzard. But I just don't see anything happening other than possible progression through the existing expansions. Probably with some servers that stop at classic, BC or whatever.

Forking content to start down another path would be a lot more work than most people realize.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They havent even confirmed TBC or anything even after vanilla. But im sure this is all on their minds now since this is bigger than they ever thought possible.

I would love a divergent story line to the one they have now. Basically right the ship that was taken off course a long time ago. But again, I jsut dont trust the current dev team to give us this. They would need a solid core values list of what made vanilla what it was and not to stray from that formula. I just dont think they know what made it great. They woudl probabaly do away with talent trees because they are too hard.

Just compare the vanilla dungeons we have to the shit they released in TBC. In TBC they started down the path of ez one way one hallway dungeons like they all became eventually, even the old ones. Even by their first dlc, they already killed off the big sprawling epic dungeons of vanilla to replace them with short EZ 30 min bullshit runs for the casuals.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Don't have any insight to Blizzard. But I just don't see anything happening other than possible progression through the existing expansions. Probably with some servers that stop at classic, BC or whatever.

Forking content to start down another path would be a lot more work than most people realize.
Yeah that seems like a total nonstarter to me. Just releasing TBC with some tweaks though, that sounds promising, but I imagine it has it's own problems. Like, the effort to do that is probably significant. And then there's the matter of what tweaks to put in. We're thinking "hey, flesh out this zone" or something, they're thinking "ADD LFR!!!!!"

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hope they add lfr but with no noob stacks, no nerfing/easing the mechanics, and only for the kael fight.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
If they do do some sort of expansion progression they'd be retarded to have it continue after the end of WotLK. There are few, if any who think that WoW got better with Cata. Personally I'd do a progression up to the end of Wrath, then once that was done open a bunch of "fresh" Classic servers and do the cycle over again. Could do a "cycle" over a period of 2 years or so.

Oh, and I totally agree with the punter above complaining about flying. It sounded awesome when you heard about it, but robbed a lot of the (forgive the pun "wow factor" of the game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BTW is the whack a mole healing allowed in vanilla? I remember an addon (when I played pally in panda) that let you program in 2 different heals on your mouse and while you were mouse over on your party/raid frames you would click the name and a heal would go off. RMB for fast heal, LMB for slow power heal.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
BTW is the whack a mole healing allowed in vanilla? I remember an addon (when I played pally in panda) that let you program in 2 different heals on your mouse and while you were mouse over on your party/raid frames you would click the name and a heal would go off. RMB for fast heal, LMB for slow power heal.

That got nuked in vanilla didn't it?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My insight about Blizzard tells me that TBC will be released as mobile only game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If they do do some sort of expansion progression they'd be retarded to have it continue after the end of WotLK. There are few, if any who think that WoW got better with Cata. Personally I'd do a progression up to the end of Wrath, then once that was done open a bunch of "fresh" Classic servers and do the cycle over again. Could do a "cycle" over a period of 2 years or so.

Oh, and I totally agree with the punter above complaining about flying. It sounded awesome when you heard about it, but robbed a lot of the (forgive the pun "wow factor" of the game.

Up to wrath is all I want