World of Warcraft: Classic

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
the addon tracks, and in some cases disables, a bunch of shit.

I spent an hour trying the stadic (sp?) challenge which is, don't take any damage including environmental/falling/etc.

as in, the second anything gets in melee range of you and hits you for 1 point of dmg, you fail the challenge. stand too close to a firepit? fail the challenge. fall down a small hill and take falling dmg? fail the challenge.

Obviously this only doable on range characters (mage ideally) but even then, i'm not sure if its doable solo, you would need to be in a pair or trio run for it. And I don't know anyone who would be willing to team up for such an aids fucking achievement.

So far no one has ever accomplished this challenge.

I think the only conceivable way is to run from starting area to the first inn and park your ass til you get some rested exp bonus, and then "explore" level very safe areas as much as possible. One you are maybe level 4-5 or so you go back to the starter area and kite level 1-2 greens until you can afford spells. Frost bolt for mages or concussive shot for hunters.

once you have a pet hunter would be far the easiest class to do this on, but getting a pet (the quest for it) is not doable without taking dmg until you have freezing trap at 20, which means you would have to kite the greenest of green mobs without a pet for 20 fucking levels.

and kiting sux in classic because moving resets your swing timer.

honestly its probably only doable on a mage.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Blizzard games are not designed for a hardcore mode and the ones that claim to be are run on blizzard servers which are not suitable for a hardcore mode. Customer service is not staffed to handle issues with such a mode and so by default they take your money and tell you to go fuck yourself noob.

..and we haven't even gotten to other players yet.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Does the mod actually enforce all these rules? If so, I'm surprised Blizzard lets a mod make changes that significant.

It blocks and/or warns you if you try to do basic shit like opening a mailbox, trade or AH. It can't stop you from say, grouping with Timmy to kill Goldtooth, but it will know you did.

It's main purpose is just to monitor and make sure you follow the rules. When you hit 60 you can get a long ass text string from the addon to submit to classichc.net to confirm you did it legit.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hard-core WoW classic sounds about as fun as slamming your dick in a car door.

Let's just get a new vanilla fresh start server already.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
It’s like speedrunning, just another silly self-imposed challenge by degenerates who can’t move on from an otherwise stale game.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to think HC was stupid too, but I've changed my mind on it. It's fun. Driving 5k is easy, running 5k is hard but far more rewarding. No heroism without fear and all that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gotta be SoM news here soon? I might be behind on this thread
Nothing yet. First SoM server was a year and a half ago and they said they were gonna be a yearly thing. Hopefully something comes up soon.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Theres some colossal copium on reddit about them uploading an internal dev version 1.14.x.x today which could imply either a new SOM or Classic+

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd put money on next SoM being a TLP type server, possibly with a HC mode added.

Characters not being able to progress past classic in SoM probably hampered things more than it helped. They walked this back months and months later but that was too little too late, need to maintain that carrot or people leave and don't come back. They're probably expecting population on WotLK Classic to drop off after ICC, since not too many people are looking forward to Cata classic. Would be a good time to start a new SoM to keep people subbed.
I'd like to imagine they hired Holly for her experience in keeping old MMOs printing money and just doing the popular stuff over and over again seems to be working out for EQ.

• 1Like

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hard-core WoW classic sounds about as fun as slamming your dick in a car door.

Let's just get a new vanilla fresh start server already.
When was the most recent WoW Classic server launched? What expac are they in?

Wasn’t clear to me on the site.

Needless

Toe Sucker
When was the most recent WoW Classic server launched? What expac are they in?

Wasn’t clear to me on the site.
Classic as in the Season of Mastery servers that only did classic with raid adjustments were about a year and a half ago and were shut down in January.
Wrath Classic had new servers on the expansion launch

either way there isnt any new "classic era" aka original wow since the original launch unless you count the season of mastery servers that are now defunct and merged into the original servers, or pushed to the WOTLK servers.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Want to know what would be fun?

Adding Battleground buffs randomly to the open world, or in areas desginated for PVP. Then add a high probability of chests with blues or high gold in those areas to entice people to go there.

Just leveled my Boomkin up and nothing is more fun than camping nodes with Starfall/Shadowmeld or using typhoon to push people off a cliff.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Classic as in the Season of Mastery servers that only did classic with raid adjustments were about a year and a half ago and were shut down in January.
Wrath Classic had new servers on the expansion launch

either way there isnt any new "classic era" aka original wow since the original launch unless you count the season of mastery servers that are now defunct and merged into the original servers, or pushed to the WOTLK servers.
Oh interesting. I played the vanilla wow classic experience a year and a half ago or whenever that was. Surprised they got defunct and merged. Would have liked to see a repeat of those. I remember there being quite a bit of press and excitement around it.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh interesting. I played the vanilla wow classic experience a year and a half ago or whenever that was. Surprised they got defunct and merged. Would have liked to see a repeat of those. I remember there being quite a bit of press and excitement around it.

The vanilla servers are still popular.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
WoW Classic launched in 2019 with Vanilla servers.

After about 2 years once all the phases completed, they then made copies available as the "Classic Era" servers which remain vanilla forever, while the rest of Classic moved on to TBC.

In addition, they launched Season of Mastery servers which were a bunch of fresh start Vanilla only servers with slight changes (mostly raid content, and a mild support for HC/"Soul of Iron" style gameplay).

The Season of Mastery servers shut down after about a year and a half, while the Classic TBC moved onward to WOTLK.

So right now you have Classic Era and WOTLK servers. I'm sure at some point they will launch SoM season 2. SoM are basically just the annual/bi-annual "TLP" style servers like EQ does. Except they aren't actually time locked progression, they pretty much (so far) just stay Vanilla with slightly tweaked rule sets each time. And once they've ran their course you either convert to Classic Era or you migrate over to whatever expansion Classic is currently at.

As far as the Classic Era servers, the HC ones are still quite popular.