World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
When people who's living is based on playing WoW think your design sucks fat dick, you know you fucked up.
Its not that the design sucks: with how they try to introduce gimmick after gimmick, system after system for each expansion (and major patch) it's obvious that some will fail.

It's that their development pipeline is so abysmally slow that they can't course correct, even if they see the iceberg coming. Its fucking worse than the Titanic at this point. They can't fix problems until 6 months in, and can't fix specs that play like shit until the next expansion. Are you kidding me?

They probably have some asshat whose only job it is to make sure that people are timegated so that subscriptions stay up. He's probably the one pushing for Facebook minigame mission table. The big problem is that he has the power to do so.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I think people who play WoW all day every day are exactly the people devs should ignore.

You're mistaken.

You're thinking of people competing for the top of the mythic raiding ladder. People who play 'professionally' if you will. Yes, i would ignore these as well.

There are scores of people who play all day and you wouldn't know because they don't make a bleep on the mythic radar.
These people actually are the ones consuming the most content in the game because they don't spend their time on ONE element of the game (not to say some of the mythic competitors aren't also achiev/mount consummers)

These people usually will have a pretty good idea of what are good and bad ideas for the game.

Love him or hate him, and god i don't like his persona, but when he sits down and talks 'seriously' about WoW Asmon has actually a pretty good hindsight of the game and what people like and don't, being that he deals with lots of people on a daily basis and gets a good sense of what people want to see and what they don't, what they like to do and what is a chore/ serious hassle.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It behooves me how great Torghast could have been, but it ended up being boring slough. I fully expect the next expansion dungeons to just have a theme, and the layout will be randomized every time you do it. At least that is my hope.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Wait what... You only use soul ash to create the one legendary you get to use? What the fuck is the point in having A currency that is only good for buying one item.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, when they originally advertised legendary crafting, I figured I'd have to do all sorts of different things to collect all sorts of different materials and then take those materials and craft a legendary that fit a particular playstyle and was 'unique-ish' to me. Maybe then you'd socket it with unique gems that give it some minor powers. Nope, that is not what we got.

Even having a system where you have 1 major power and 1 minor power, so each legendary feels like something purposefully crafted, would have been better than what we got.

What we got was an equipable talent point row.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They could 'fix' the borrowed power concerns slightly by adding a talent point row at the end of each expansion that contains 3 choices from the 3 most iconic bits of borrowed power from that expansion for that spec.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

They could 'fix' the borrowed power concerns slightly by adding a talent point row at the end of each expansion that contains 3 choices from the 3 most iconic bits of borrowed power from that expansion for that spec.

Or they could just stop doing any borrowed power.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Borrowed Power and Covenants specifically is a really good iteration on rep grinds, there's a lot of different aspects to what you can grind, how you grind it and what perks you get.

So just let players choose one faction to champion from any expansion and keep those powers.

Make sure the new factions have travel perks for the expansion content so most chose those, but if a player wants a weird build using eg a Legion Legendary... why not?

What's the worst that could happen? People progress in the old content and have more things to do?

Hearth of Azeroth was shitty but Legion legendaries/class halls were one of the best things about that expansion and Covenants are the best thing about Shadowlands. Would be better if it was existing factions though and not weirdo rehashes.

• 1Moron

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Covenants are a good idea with incompetent implementation. Par for the course for the current dev team. Hell, the base idea being good is an actual improvement.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Covenants are a shit idea in a game where character/spec performance matters. This isn’t a weekend dnd group game.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Covenants are a shit idea in a game where character/spec performance matters. This isn’t a weekend dnd group game.
Having such fine margins in the most difficult content is a mistake for this reason, you can't have fun or flavourful additions to the game because everyone is chasing that 1% extra DPS.

Sometimes it's nice to just outgear a raid and have a relaxing farm, but that doesn't happen when raids you outgear don't offer any upgrades because you didn't turn the difficulty up to challenging.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The covenant abilities not being a talent you can switch between is the terrible implementation. If covenants were permanent only with respect to story and cosmetics, they would be great.

• 1Like

Merrith

Having such fine margins in the most difficult content is a mistake for this reason, you can't have fun or flavourful additions to the game because everyone is chasing that 1% extra DPS.

Sometimes it's nice to just outgear a raid and have a relaxing farm, but that doesn't happen when raids you outgear don't offer any upgrades because you didn't turn the difficulty up to challenging.

The problem is it often isn't just 1% dps. The major issue with covenants is that so many different combinations of cov/spec don't even come close to being competitive with the optimal. That coupled with the whole "choice matters because a lot of players don't care about optimal and just choose what they want versus what is best"...which we all know is bullshit.