World of Warcraft: Current Year

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did about half the raids in Shadowlands. These raids actually seem pretty cool, at least on a first go. Remind me a lot of Legion raids.

Not sure why Sylvanas isn't the final boss instead of this new weirdo. Seems like they're building her up to be the final boss, at least as of the halfway point.

What is "lust" and what is "soaking"? I'd ask in a raid but I noticed anyone who asks any questions gets like roundly mocked in WoW. It reminds me of Idiocracy when he suggests drinking water and they all mock him for wanting to drink from a toilet.

"This guy doesn't know what lust is! What a dumbass!" "And he talks like a fag!" before everyone goes flying off of cliffs and shit.
Oh the things you forget when you stop playing for years, eh? Lust is Bloodlust/Hero.

Soaking, on the other hand, is one of the dev teams favorite mechanics now days. Some fire/puddles/voidzones need people to stand in them. Sometimes, that boss mechanic needs a person in each little circle, or it wipes the raid, and sometimes you need 5 to 10 people in one, so it splits the damage between them. There are even some bosses with tank cleave soaks, where both tanks need to take the cleave so it splits the dmg. In mythic, these mechanics often give a debuff that make it so the whole raid has to take at least one soak.

The dudgeon journal should tell you what is a soak, or the wowhead guide defiantly will.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the Ironfur mechanic either, especially compared to the 100% uptime insanity of shield block. But, Ironfur does act as a decent spender to proc After the Wildfire, which is pretty nutty group utility.

I'm still very up in the air on what I want to play as well. On one hand, the Warrior felt like absolute ass to me leveling up, until about 45-50ish, right around the time I got the Indomitable talent. Ever since then and onto 60 it has felt really good in dungeons, your tankability/sustain is crazy good. Damage is probably around the bottom tier of all the tanks, but it still feels like you can put out decentish numbers.

Druid on the other hand was kind of the opposite. They felt really good in the middle tiers of leveling, but something just feels "off" about them at 60. I think a LOT of it is how their talent tree is setup. A LOT of your additional sustain and "cool shit" group utility is locked behind those last few points now, with them swapping around talents AGAIN and moving all the badass moonfire shit further down. It doesn't allow you to get a lot of those cool "tools" anymore until we can hit 70. But, their damage is still pretty damn good and probably second only to Brewmasters? I guess maybe a really insanely played Blood DK might be able to put out a tad more as well?

That said, I'm still a bit up in the air. I'm leaning Druid, just because they tend to scale really well and I like a lot of the extra "utility" they have(i.e. battle res). So, I think they're only going to get better throughout the seasons, whereas I think Warrior feels amazing NOW, but is going to falloff later on. I still have a Disc priest I'm trying to level/test before Monday just because they seem really interesting finally. I'm not sure they're going to be all that hot in Mythic+, but they should still be one of the top raid healers because of atonement.
Wowhead has has commissioned a guide for every spec on "why should I play or not play" each and they seem like a pretty good run down. The DK one says that their tree has a lot of damage in it (maybe the highest burst tank spec), but it is tied to standing in their DnD at all times (they get 2 charges at least).

As an aside, the DH tank always looked fun with leaping around, AoE silence, and close to immunity to knock up/back mechanics. It's unfortunate that most tiers they have been rather mid to low tier performance (the most reactive tank made them spikey with a high skill cap (or some such?)).

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
So, after getting the Druid to 60, really happy with Feral, Resto and Guardian. I still don't click with Boomkin, but 3 out of 4 is better than I'd hoped for.

Been really agonising over a ranged class for the last few days, until I started watching a couple of videos by this guy. He's been really gushing about it, so I thought "ah fuck it" and boosted my Lvl 25 priest. I'd pretty much talked myself out of all the other options anyway, so no great loss if it didn't pan out.

Holy shit, he was not joking or exaggerating. Be damned if this isn't the most fun I've had with a ranged character, since my Hunter way back in Vanilla. Done and dusted, I'm ready for DF!

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea Shadow Priest feels great in terms of design. The numbers aren't too great right now but should scale extremely well. I think right now most melee is tuned better then ranged, at least for M+ where cleave is the name of the game.

DH is probably the best all around tank deals well with big single hits and lots of adds. Does great damage, has great utility for M+. Most mobile tank. Being able to take soul cleave and spirit bomb is awesome.

I think Paladin right now is sleeper. Its what I'm leaning toward as my main. The only thing I don't like about warrior is how spammy it is and Paladin has a way more chill rotation. However, with new expac comes new haste values so it might not be as bad in the start. Super easy rotation allows me to learn fights easier without having to think about surviving because I spent rage on the wrong thing. And once you learn routes you can spec into a more CD oriented build to pull huge.

I saw some video a bit ago with warrior taking that shield charge talent and critting for like 90k, wonder if thats still like that.

DK is great because its the most involved tank. Always decisions to be made and I think I read it has the best ST of all the tanks. Also grip is such a great utiltiy especially with those shitter mobs that can't be interupted that just randomly cast.

Still haven't played Brew but until they figure out their survivability I don't think they'll be great in M+, but I think they'll do just fine in Raid.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Wowhead has has commissioned a guide for every spec on "why should I play or not play" each and they seem like a pretty good run down. The DK one says that their tree has a lot of damage in it (maybe the highest burst tank spec), but it is tied to standing in their DnD at all times (they get 2 charges at least).

As an aside, the DH tank always looked fun with leaping around, AoE silence, and close to immunity to knock up/back mechanics. It's unfortunate that most tiers they have been rather mid to low tier performance (the most reactive tank made them spikey with a high skill cap (or some such?)).
Yeah, I checked a few of those out. Pretty interesting stuff and helped me to ruleout Disc Priest. I don't mind classes that have a lot of cooldowns for "burn" or "oh shit" moments, but I hate when classes have a bunch of cooldown shit you have to constantly pop to do X, roll Y, keep up Z, etc. Seems like that's Disc priest.
Been really agonising over a ranged class for the last few days, until I started watching a couple of videos by this guy. He's been really gushing about it, so I thought "ah fuck it" and boosted my Lvl 25 priest. I'd pretty much talked myself out of all the other options anyway, so no great loss if it didn't pan out.

Holy shit, he was not joking or exaggerating. Be damned if this isn't the most fun I've had with a ranged character, since my Hunter way back in Vanilla. Done and dusted, I'm ready for DF!

Shadow priests are a fucking mess. Their trees have so many dead ends. I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually, but they are in a really rough spot IMO. One of the worst ranged specs out there, probably only MM hunter being worse since their survivability is also ass.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh the things you forget when you stop playing for years, eh? Lust is Bloodlust/Hero.

Soaking, on the other hand, is one of the dev teams favorite mechanics now days. Some fire/puddles/voidzones need people to stand in them. Sometimes, that boss mechanic needs a person in each little circle, or it wipes the raid, and sometimes you need 5 to 10 people in one, so it splits the damage between them. There are even some bosses with tank cleave soaks, where both tanks need to take the cleave so it splits the dmg. In mythic, these mechanics often give a debuff that make it so the whole raid has to take at least one soak.

The dudgeon journal should tell you what is a soak, or the wowhead guide defiantly will.

Yeah, I'm impressed with WoW raids at this point. I used to think EQ raids were way superior mechanically back in the late 2000's, but now I see WoW using a lot of the same mechanical superiority and refining it.

I liked the raid where everyone had to quickly get to their spot for a large dance party, that was pretty cool. Things went pretty smooth in LFR, outside of The Nine, which took several tries and was pretty rough. Looking forward to doing the last 7 raids tonight. Too bad Dragonflight probably won't have any raids at launch, cause I'm only playing for a month, but I like what they're doing raid-wise.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I'm impressed with WoW raids at this point. I used to think EQ raids were way superior mechanically back in the late 2000's, but now I see WoW using a lot of the same mechanical superiority and refining it.

I liked the raid where everyone had to quickly get to their spot for a large dance party, that was pretty cool. Things went pretty smooth in LFR, outside of The Nine, which took several tries and was pretty rough. Looking forward to doing the last 7 raids tonight. Too bad Dragonflight probably won't have any raids at launch, cause I'm only playing for a month, but I like what they're doing raid-wise.
I don't think that I ever had fun raiding in WoW. It was all about that bit between the trauma of progression raids and burnout from farming the raid for too long.

Meanwhile the raids in FF14 this year have just been pure joy. One raid boss had you paying attention to the orbital mechanics and properties of gas giants and stars, except the boss can also freeze/rewind time and there's a kickass soundtrack.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I don't think that I ever had fun raiding in WoW. It was all about that bit between the trauma of progression raids and burnout from farming the raid for too long.

Meanwhile the raids in FF14 this year have just been pure joy. One raid boss had you paying attention to the orbital mechanics and properties of gas giants and stars, except the boss can also freeze/rewind time and there's a kickass soundtrack.

Thanks for more retarded takes in the WoW thread. While there is an infinite amount of things to complain about as it relates to modern WoW, raid complexity & interest is not one of them. Comparing it to the steaming piling of shit that is FF14 raids is hilariously stupid.

• 2Like
  • 2Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks for more retarded takes in the WoW thread. While there is an infinite amount of things to complain about as it relates to modern WoW, raid complexity & interest is not one of them. Comparing it to the steaming piling of shit that is FF14 raids is hilariously stupid.
Enjoy saving the hatcheries with the retarded rainbow coloured body type 1 and body type 2 scalies. Bet you can't wait.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Enjoy saving the hatcheries with the retarded rainbow coloured body type 1 and body type 2 scalies. Bet you can't wait.

I'll enjoy playing it infinitely more than roleplaying in an inn with your fellow gender confused faggots trying to make some Gil in exchange for validation that they are beautiful rather than the degenerates of society that they actually are. Bet you can't wait for your upcoming controller session and picking out which 4 year old character you'll spend the night with.

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'll enjoy playing it infinitely more than roleplaying in an inn with your fellow gender confused faggots trying to make some Gil in exchange for validation that they are beautiful rather than the degenerates of society that they actually are. Bet you can't wait for your upcoming controller session and picking out which 4 year old character you'll spend the night with.
Like that doesn't happen in WoW, except it's worse because of the furries.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Like that doesn't happen in WoW, except it's worse because of the furries.

Can confirm that there is no ability in WoW to create specific instances aimed at internet prostitution with the aforementioned gender confused faggots as there is in the game you keep coming to compare it to in spite of the fact that no one mentions it. If someone tried to do that in WoW, they'd be reported and auto-banned quickly by Blizzard's shitty report system rather than encouraged and cheered on in lobbies. Thanks for playing though.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Both games have their strengths and weaknesses. I play every expansion of both. Chris does like to meander his way around the board talking up XIV in every thread. No need for a pissing match here, though.

I still have my SL 50 boost and want to level up another class for DF. I've got mage, paladin, monk, and evoker at 60. I think both potential raid groups I'd like to join are shored up on tanks and healers, so am leaning toward a ranged DPS. Any thoughts on hunter v lock?

edit: both groups have a lock already, needing -a- lock for healthstones isn't a consideration.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Can confirm that there is no ability in WoW to create specific instances aimed at internet prostitution
Are you a child or an incel? What about that feature isn't fucking awesome? Instanced means you can opt out too.

If someone tried to do that in WoW, they'd be reported and auto-banned quickly by Blizzard's shitty report system rather than encouraged and cheered on in lobbies. Thanks for playing though.
WoW has public furry orgies in Goldshire and they don't have the staff anymore to ban people.

Don't mistake the option of being gay with the whole game being game. You are about to play a gay expansion where you are forced it accept it lol.

Argarth

On the verandah
Yeah, I checked a few of those out. Pretty interesting stuff and helped me to ruleout Disc Priest. I don't mind classes that have a lot of cooldowns for "burn" or "oh shit" moments, but I hate when classes have a bunch of cooldown shit you have to constantly pop to do X, roll Y, keep up Z, etc. Seems like that's Disc priest.

Shadow priests are a fucking mess. Their trees have so many dead ends. I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually, but they are in a really rough spot IMO. One of the worst ranged specs out there, probably only MM hunter being worse since their survivability is also ass.
I'm thoroughly enjoying the SP playstyle at lvl 60 in Invasion gear. Pressing all the buttons makes me smile, the pace/flow/procs/visuals/sounds etc. I'll worry about "the rest" later.

If this is "a fucking mess" I'll take it, and look forward to having even more fun when they fix it, lol.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I used to bring up EQ all the time whenever people would talk about WoW, and how WoW copied pretty much everything from EQ, and EQ did it first and better, and so on.

I wasn't wrong, but it was probably super-annoying for people.

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everything prior to Shadowlands (with BFA being a bit grey), imo, can be considered Legacy WoW. Meaning that all the expansions / storys were connected to demons / titans / old gods (I guess). Yet, Shadowlands onward seems pretty disconnected from that, I think Blizz calls it "new era" or something. Its now Their Story, as the Woke Army that lives to change / promote shit to be inclusive and diverse above all else. I would say the current dev team views Legacy WoW as tainted.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Im unsure if its just the free weekend, but Im not sure if the FOH guild on Hyjal is deleted or its just that I didnt buy a token to play and so it wont let me interact with the guild stuff? Either way, I dont know why it would matter since we havent really done much of a guild thing since Legion. I still havent cared enough to buy the expansion, myself.

The expansion just seems to be missing "something"... or, its just the direction the devs are taking it is too big of a departure and its making it feel alienating to me. You have your Raid pillar, which is supposedly going to be brought down in difficulty. Thats fine, I havent cared about Mythic raiding since WOD. Mythic+ goes up to +20 now for rewards. You have half the DF dungeons that you do during leveling and a mix of older expansions dungeons for Mythic + and they'll switch them up .. per season, iirc? I've enjoyed the bit of the raid Ive done and the DF mythic+ dungeons. There are obvious dungeons that people are going to delete their key if they get it, though. Not because its hard, but because I can already tell that a couple of them are going to be fucking slogs on your 20th+ clear.

Then, they have the Over World pillar, where you gain rep in the Covenant style similar to SL's. Pair that with the overhauled (pretty good, actually) professions and you have the "option" to play that content instead of the first two pillars. Dragon Flying has a lot of puzzles etc. that you can do for rewards, too. I suspect itll end up being for casuals and hardcore alike. Casuals only doing it, and hardcore doing it when theyre waiting to do a Mythic+ or raid.

Other than that, the story.. just seems fucking uninteresting, second rate "How to Train a Dragon" kind of lame (as the cinematic linked above shows). Theres a dragon aspect that just pops up out of nowhere as the new big bad and it looks fucking retarded. Theyre going for some kind of cartoon look without the Warcraft stylization and its just so fucking noticeable that its kind of a turn off. I'm sure this elemental ratatouie dragon or w/e its called will lead to something bigger, but its just not very interesting as it presently sits.

What Ive been struggling to understand about the expansion is.. where the fuck all the extra devs work went too? There is plenty to do for the first couple weeks, just like SL's - but ... the team was doubled since then, so.. wheres the extra content? Are they already working on 10.1? Im just expecting more from a launch because what Ive seen so far just isnt that much.

Nothing about these last few pages says it's on par with BFA dungeons. Maybe the systems are better, but without dungeons that are considerably above Shadowlands, or a return to competitive BFA M+ and titanforging where M+ can compete with Mythic raids, I just don't care enough about Mythic raiding to buy Dragonflight.

If the dungeons were at least BFA quality I'd say it's worth the buy. But that doesn't seem to be the case. It's another Shadowlands in terms of dungeons.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last season of SL was great for m+

In large part because Kara and mechagon and no sl base dungeons...