World of Warcraft: Current Year

spronk

FPS noob
Remembering the WoW thread(s) on FoH prior to expansions and the copious amounts of chatter that went on there talking about all types of rumours and shit, and seeing how little is discussed now makes me wonder what that says about the state of the game and its subscriber base. Is this x-pac just not building hopes and expectations (and hype) in people like prior x-pacs did?
I've bought and enjoyed every wow xpac, played for 2-5 months then quit until the next x.0 patch or occasional random patch resubs. Skipping WoD completely, it looks pretty pathetic. $50 ($10 more than previous xpacs), no new races, no new classes, no new professions. Revisiting a world we have already been to. Centered around a villain I just don't give a shit about (Garrosh), especially involving shitty time travel / whatever.

to be fair I loved MOP, initially thought the idea of pandas and shit was terrible and some sort of aprils fool joke but I enjoyed the zones and the raids and the panda/monk, so maybe WoD will turn out to be great. I have a feeling though that the shit team is working on it and out of ideas.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Their "everyone gets an Heirloom Weapon!" note from the 6.0 patch news is a blatant cash grab to pull in subscribers to re-up at 6.0 rather than wait for WoD. It will also be a good test if people are willing or able to make the jump from LFR to Group Finder normal since it's about as big a carrot as could possibly be offered.
Seems good to me, can once again get all the rewards without putting in the real work of grinding that boring shit every week.
cool.png

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Mop was definitely ok, I do wish the content pacing wasn't so awful tho, releasing 4 gear tiers in 9 months and then dormant for over a year is what is killing the business more than anything imo. I feel like they originally had a good reason for constructing expansions with gear resets the way they did in reply to issues in vanilla and in EQ but I feel like its been 10 years and all those original reasons are gone but we are still stuck with the old structure and all its downsides.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Bro, Kairozdormu is going to betray Garrosh after they open the portal, tattle tailing on him to his dad.
Grommash is gonna see that little faggot orc come through the portal and Ned Stark his ass for being a little pussy bitch. "Son, I am disappoint."

Thrall will be like ".....Wakandans what have you done!?"

Then Draenor will quake because a buried old god farted and woke himself up-now he's angry, because he virtually dutch ovened himself in his little cavern.

Medivh is gonna roll in on 40 inch wagon wheels all "sup bitches, welcome back."
We'll be like "Back Wakandan? whatchu talkin bout."
Then he'll end on some cryptic mystical Wakandan shit "Time will tell, lil Wakandanz."

--

Seriously though, i'm pretty excited for it. It'll be a nice change, as i'm incredibly unimpressed with the entirety of MoP heh, anything more along the lines of TBC is good with me.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
MoP did lots of things right:
Pokemons
World bosses are finally decently implemented
Tons of cool rares with a few cool/fun drops
Legendary questline added something long term to be working on
ToT was a good raid, the isle was decent
Timeless Isle is good, pretty much the culmination of what they added/changed about the overland game
Flex modes
Challenge modes are tits
PvP balance was decently good this time around, really like the gear system even though its changing again.

Bad:
LFR is boring as fuck and the loot is too rare
First raid tiers were awful besides Terrace which I liked because there was no god damn trash.
The story is dumb
Pandas all have the same face which leads to
A lot of things have felt like Blizzard is just lazy. Things like the panda faces all being the same, and pvp gear this season just being the opposite factions armor from last season. Just lazy garbage.
It doesn't really make any sense that a company that's been making hand over fist for a decade still can't put out content at a decent clip. It's not like we shouldn't expect it since it's literally been their MO for 3 expansions but still, it doesn't make any sense. They're one of the biggest game studios in the world and every single one of their games pushes out content maybe once or twice a year.

Needless

Toe Sucker
MoP did lots of things right:
World bosses are finally decently implemented
I would agree with this if it wasn't for that incredibly poorly designed dinosaur. There is nothing good about how they made that boss haha. The rest of them are/were great though

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There's not much WoD chatter because there's not much to chatter about. Healers pissed at Triage Healing's return, and Tanks losing vengeance are the only things that are really rustling jimmies. No new class, no new races, no new profession, not enough information on garrisons yet to really talk about it. Removing abilities instead of adding them (Beyond the tier 100 talents, which you'll find chatter about on their primary class forums, and perks, which the majority are just flat %age effectiveness boosts).

I can rant about Avert Harm and Healing Sphere removal if that will entertain?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
From the replies I take it WoW has officially jumped the gun in most people's opinion? The main reason I asked in the first place was that I felt I should be excited and mopping up all the details, I remember how it was before both Wrath and Cata, and to some extent MoP, every last detail was scrutinised by the fan base causing lots of discussions, which I eagerly read and sometimes participated in. Now, all I feel is "meh". I'm thinking "I want to buy this x-pac" but to be honest, I'm just not sure...
eek.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Honestly, I don't think there is as much chatter because there's a lot more transparency. Shit used to drop on MMOChampion and other sites without a ton of context so there was a lot of discussion on it. Now the stuff still pops up there but it has context and even Blizzard posting about it more openly. Blizzard isn't really able to control the leaks (I don't think many/any companies can), so they embraced it by actually explaining design decisions, and for the most part there isn't a ton to discuss. If there isn't a lot to discuss because the game has jumped the gun/shark or because it's 10+ years old in what seems to be a dying genre is certainly a possibility.

Needless

Toe Sucker
How are WW monks these days anyway? in both PVE and PVP?
My main was originally my monk in MoP but i got bored of him fairly quickly when the MW nerfs started coming in hard. I decided to dick around as WW last night and got a couple upgrades in ToT LFR. I figured i'll play him for a couple weeks before my account goes down heh

May as well finish where i started!

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
Due to a bunch of diff things coming together i'm going to be using the WoD boost to start up a fresh class i've never played before on a new server with some friends, I haven't played in a good bit since right at the start of MoP.

For all-around everything PvE and PvP both including RBGs which i'm I going to be better off with SPriest or Mage?

Needless

Toe Sucker
in both senses, i would say a mage... but being a priest also lets you change it up as a healer. So theres that. Just play whatever class appeals more to you heh
Generally shadow is in pretty shitty shape atm though.

Sterling

El Presidente
Due to a bunch of diff things coming together i'm going to be using the WoD boost to start up a fresh class i've never played before on a new server with some friends, I haven't played in a good bit since right at the start of MoP.

For all-around everything PvE and PvP both including RBGs which i'm I going to be better off with SPriest or Mage?
Mage is far and away better dps. Shadowpriest is probably the lowest dps class on average of any pure dps spec currently, has basically no mobility and has been nerfed to over this expansion. That being said, if you're willing to dual spec and also heal as a disc priest or whatever that gives you some utility/options. That's from a PvE standpoint. Not entirely sure about pvp since I haven't done very much of that since like WotLK.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's a ten year old game. And we've already known about the bulk of the new features for months - with many more months left until release. Plus, at this point, what does WoW even really need? Forcing some stupid gimmick into the game just to have another feature on the list?

Plus, many of the new features are actually the REMOVAL of features. Item squish and bloat reduction and less CC abilities. But we know Blizzard too well - we know the stuff we see today is going to change a dozen times before release. So it's hard to care much about it this far out. Especially when people will resist every change being made to the point that we'd wind up with more hotkeys than we had in MOP if they actually listened to all of those idiots.

I'm looking forward to less bloat and the introduction of flexible raiding across all but the poopsock tier. And the removal of the 10/25 split raids for Hard Modes is a good thing. But seeing as I'm just a dirty casual now, I'm not exactly going to jump up and down and cheer about it for months on end.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Their "everyone gets an Heirloom Weapon!" note from the 6.0 patch news is a blatant cash grab to pull in subscribers to re-up at 6.0 rather than wait for WoD. It will also be a good test if people are willing or able to make the jump from LFR to Group Finder normal since it's about as big a carrot as could possibly be offered.
I am confused on what you are talking about. They said that Garrosh will no longer drop heirloom weapons in 6.0 - which btw is WoD. The first number of any WoW patch is the number of the expansion (WoD is the 6th expansion). If you are thinking the fact that they tweeted this is some sort of "cash grab" - I'd say with almost complete certainty that they were probably responding to a large influx of questions from people who were wondering if you could just go 5 man Garrosh at lvl 91 and get yourself a BiS weapon for the grind up to 100.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
6.0 is most likely going to be released before WoD, like they always do. We always get a patch with talent re haul/skill changes and non Xpac specific things to fuck around with a few weeks/months before the xpac.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I am confused on what you are talking about. They said that Garrosh will no longer drop heirloom weapons in 6.0 - which btw is WoD. The first number of any WoW patch is the number of the expansion (WoD is the 6th expansion). If you are thinking the fact that they tweeted this is some sort of "cash grab" - I'd say with almost complete certainty that they were probably responding to a large influx of questions from people who were wondering if you could just go 5 man Garrosh at lvl 91 and get yourself a BiS weapon for the grind up to 100.
6.0 will be released before the xpac (not sure how long before).

In addition to the above changes, when Patch 6.0 arrives:

With the release of Patch 6.0, the drop rate of the Heirloom weapons from Garrosh Hellscream on Normal, Heroic, and Mythic difficulties will be significantly increased.

Players who have yet to get any Heirlooms will have a 100% (guaranteed) chance of getting a spec-appropriate Heirloom when defeating Garrosh on Normal difficulty or higher.
The chance of receiving additional Heirlooms beyond the first will also be increased.
More details at:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/140...aenor-5-5-2014

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
6.0 is most likely going to be released before WoD, like they always do. We always get a patch with talent re haul/skill changes and non Xpac specific things to fuck around with a few weeks/months before the xpac.
Yes I forgot about the expansion "pre-patch" which as far as I know started with MoP so I don't know if I'd say like they always do.