World of Warcraft: Current Year

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Mythic really needs to be changed to flex mode and cross server.

Hard set raid limits are flat out fucking retarded.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The funniest thing about the multi-class one-character system is they pioneered that shit in FFXI and it was incredible, game-changing even. Then no one else picked it up..
Well a few did such as rift. Eqnext if its ever released will also have any one character have access to most/all professions. There are a few others as well but a lot burned out because the danger of going the one man can be everything is if they screw it up everybody winds up being the same and kinda bland.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
The funniest thing about the multi-class one-character system is they pioneered that shit in FFXI and it was incredible, game-changing even. Then no one else picked it up..
I'm honestly not sure why WoW doesn't do this either, all they need to do is change bind on pickup to bind to account and then they basically have this in the game already.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Is LFR a good way to gear up, or are they pretty much a mess and not worth the effort? Currently sitting at 622 ilevel. As a priest, the downside is I've only played Disc so far and that's how I'm geared, but I'll probably have to switch to Holy on raids due to disc not stacking well. Guess I need to get an alternate gear set.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Is LFR a good way to gear up, or are they pretty much a mess and not worth the effort? Currently sitting at 622 ilevel. As a priest, the downside is I've only played Disc so far and that's how I'm geared, but I'll probably have to switch to Holy on raids due to disc not stacking well. Guess I need to get an alternate gear set.
It depends on your timeframe. Over the long run, running LFR is useless. I had an alt that did a few LFR, with some gear, and who currently has none of that LFR gear anymore. Instead, he sports full garrison stuff, plus one apexis helm. You get regular 645 epics from gear tokens, which sits between the HM and BRF LFR ilvl. You also get 1 piece of normal (655/670 ilvl) gear per week (one from HM, one from BRF every two weeks, which averages to one per week). There were no really good weapons for me in LFR, which means the weapon token is better than anything else I could get due to good secondary stats despite 5 lower ilvl. I'm currently sitting at ilvl 656 average. Which remind me, I should gain 1 or 2 ilvl because I forgot to upgrade the apexis gear.

However, if you want to run BRF now, or Citadel raids when it opens in 6.2 in probably a month, you do need to get your ilvl up quickly, which means you'll need to run a couple LFR. The situation described above took basically 4 months to get to that point.

As you can expect, I stopped running LFR about the week after the last LFR wing opened (didn't do legendary with that alt). But no one fails LFR these days, the majority of people in it are people trying to finish their legendary token farm or alts of raiders, so the fight are mastered. Even Blackhand can't really fail in LFR.

There are other catch-up mechanics coming to play in 6.2. Rares in Tanaan drop 650 stuff, and naval missions will give you ilvl 640 tokens for EVERY SLOT, and those slots can be upgraded to 695 (i.e. Citadel normal) using apexis (cost not yet implemented on PTR, the token is sold for 500g which isn't going to last, obviously). Plus of course the Citadel raid missions, but those will likely take time to get up to snuff: your naval infrastructure starts from scratch in 6.2, and the missions will likely require epic-level well-tuned ships. And not losing them.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
LFR is worthwhile if you are a new level 100, but if you have been running around since launch uber-casual then it has almost no point. The raid missions your Garrison peeps go on provide you with gear that is just as good or better than what you can get in LFR plus you get 3 pieces of tradeskill stuff and the Apexis crystal based armor pieces all of which have much higher ilevel than LFR. Fundamentally the only reason to run LFR is to get the quest items for the legendary ring quests...

velk

Trakanon Raider
LFR is worthwhile if you are a new level 100, but if you have been running around since launch uber-casual then it has almost no point. The raid missions your Garrison peeps go on provide you with gear that is just as good or better than what you can get in LFR plus you get 3 pieces of tradeskill stuff and the Apexis crystal based armor pieces all of which have much higher ilevel than LFR. Fundamentally the only reason to run LFR is to get the quest items for the legendary ring quests...
The raid weekly has a few good upgrades you can't get from garrison gear missions, so can be useful, especially if you have luck like my priest alt who has gotten no less than 8 pairs of shoes from the raid chest missions.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wasn't Rift still locked into 4 main classes though or am I mistaken?
In theory yes but each of those classes can have souls that do every role possible so each "class" winds up having like 12 or so major options and you can combine powers of up to three souls at once to make your current "class" so highly adjustable and little need to have alts as one character can pretty much do everything you would want to do in the game.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
It depends on your timeframe. Over the long run, running LFR is useless. I had an alt that did a few LFR, with some gear, and who currently has none of that LFR gear anymore. Instead, he sports full garrison stuff, plus one apexis helm. You get regular 645 epics from gear tokens, which sits between the HM and BRF LFR ilvl. You also get 1 piece of normal (655/670 ilvl) gear per week (one from HM, one from BRF every two weeks, which averages to one per week). There were no really good weapons for me in LFR, which means the weapon token is better than anything else I could get due to good secondary stats despite 5 lower ilvl. I'm currently sitting at ilvl 656 average. Which remind me, I should gain 1 or 2 ilvl because I forgot to upgrade the apexis gear.

However, if you want to run BRF now, or Citadel raids when it opens in 6.2 in probably a month, you do need to get your ilvl up quickly, which means you'll need to run a couple LFR. The situation described above took basically 4 months to get to that point.

As you can expect, I stopped running LFR about the week after the last LFR wing opened (didn't do legendary with that alt). But no one fails LFR these days, the majority of people in it are people trying to finish their legendary token farm or alts of raiders, so the fight are mastered. Even Blackhand can't really fail in LFR.

There are other catch-up mechanics coming to play in 6.2. Rares in Tanaan drop 650 stuff, and naval missions will give you ilvl 640 tokens for EVERY SLOT, and those slots can be upgraded to 695 (i.e. Citadel normal) using apexis (cost not yet implemented on PTR, the token is sold for 500g which isn't going to last, obviously). Plus of course the Citadel raid missions, but those will likely take time to get up to snuff: your naval infrastructure starts from scratch in 6.2, and the missions will likely require epic-level well-tuned ships. And not losing them.
Isn't it possible still to craft a weapon and with bloods get it to 670? I'm no longer subbed, but it was possible sometime ago, I guess now bloods are almost worthless.
The sole idea of coming back, swapping class and gearing up could even be interesting, but then I think of the garrison and I puke.
Fuck garrisons.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Isn't it possible still to craft a weapon and with bloods get it to 670? I'm no longer subbed, but it was possible sometime ago, I guess now bloods are almost worthless.
The sole idea of coming back, swapping class and gearing up could even be interesting, but then I think of the garrison and I puke.
Fuck garrisons.
Yup you can make 670 weapons super easy now which makes punching your way from 90-100 stupidly easy on alts.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 7.1 Million Subscribers

WoW Down to 7.1 Million Subscribers
Blizzard had their Q1 2014 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 7.1 million subscribers at the end of Q1 2015. This is down 2.9 million from the Q4 2014 call that listed WoW at 10 million subscribers.

Ouch. I can't remember them losing that many subs this early in a XPAC. That's the kind of drop off you see from new MMO's.
So where do you think these 3 million gamers are going? Other MMOs, MOBAs, console games, or somewhere else?

FF14 seems to be the only MMO increasing in popularity lately (at least on this board). With their expansion coming up soon and the similarity in gameplay with WoW, odds are FF14 is getting the bulk of ex-WoW players.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
So where do you think these 3 million gamers are going? Other MMOs, MOBAs, console games, or somewhere else?
A common thing in Eve is people who only log in when "something cool is happening." Otherwise, they're on voice but off playing LoL/Dota/DayZ. I think the EQ-era where MMO fanatics spent every waking hour playing their MMO of choice, and that was the only game they played, has come and gone.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
A common thing in Eve is people who only log in when "something cool is happening." Otherwise, they're on voice but off playing LoL/Dota/DayZ. I think the EQ-era where MMO fanatics spent every waking hour playing their MMO of choice, and that was the only game they played, has come and gone.
Not even that, i can play HOTS or dota 2 and afk around in ashran all day sure i may miss some events but im still getting shit done for nothing.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

FF14 seems to be the only MMO increasing in popularity lately (at least on this board). With their expansion coming up soon and the similarity in gameplay with WoW, odds are FF14 is getting the bulk of ex-WoW players.
I bought WoD and played it for 2 months or so, and before that I played pretty much nothing and haven't picked up any other games since. I just wanted to try the new expansion because I had been a WoW player in 2005.

So the answer might be "they are going nowhere."