World of Warcraft: Current Year

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I also think hard-coded factions were okay -- or at least acceptable -- back then, but these days, with the game (and MMOs in general) making it easier and easier to get together with people to do stuff, the limitation sucks. In the live developer QA that happened recently, one of the devs said this:

Who actually has that level of attachment to their faction now? Especially when you have a race that can be a part of either faction?
That notion to me was killed when they made battlegrounds x-server, before that I used to know the names and the gear progression of all the allies.

when x-server was put in, the other side just became a faceless mob.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
You played on and off since Vanilla and never raided till LFR? You make the casuals look hardcore.
Back in Vanilla I started playing weeks after my friends did so I was always under level. This coupled with the fact that I was in school then meaning I could only play a fraction of the time they could meant they out leveled me even quicker. Eventually by the time I reached 60 they'd joined a top progression guild that raided 6 days a week for 4+ hours a night. Me in my blues, I wasn't even allowed into the guild, let alone to raid with them, so I just did 5 mans, then leveled an alt (which has since been my main). After BC with the shorter raids I joined a casual guild that did raid, but by then my family and work life had changed so that if I was called I needed to get up from the computer pretty much right away. So it has been a conscious decision to NOT put my friends/guild mates in a situation where one of the team suddenly goes afk in the middle of a fight. However, I have no qualms about doing this in LFR as it's pretty much built into the system that some people are doing sweet fuck all.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Be careful with that. I don't think they have actually banned anyone for using it but it is technically bannable since it alters game files.Blue postI found about it said:
It doesn't alter game files, just memory. But yes, there is a danger involved in using it. But, they've known about it for a long time and nobody has been banned for it.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Got the School of Hard Knocks achievement last night. It didnt actually take longer than maybe 2 hours of work, but it is stressful when you have only a week to do it, and if you cant pull it off, good luck next year for the meta. I can see other people easily failing to do it if they had a limited schedule or had never PvPed before. Arathi Basin is the easiest. Warsong could be tough against good groups, but luckily for me someone tried to take the flag out solo when we had 3 of us in the base. AV I think I got on my second attempt, but that could be a bitch when you have 40 people on your side, and only 4 flags that can be capped. For that, you gotta keep pushing forward and just hope you get to a flag to assault it first. EoTS can very easily be a nightmare, with 30 people fighting for one flag. I simply got lucky on the timing in mid with us having maybe 6 mid and the other side was still gathering for a push after they had been scattered. Best to stock up on swift and health potions. Very glad to have that one out of the way.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Going to have to look into this whole AH business for making money. The higher level greens and stuff, I'll have to start scanning the AH every day with Auctioneer. Just came back, but already tired of being broke! Although questing 80-85 did give me a couple thousand gold.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Use auctioneer to buy them, but use trade skill master to sell them. Auctioneer is old and dated, but the one thing it still does well is fast buying of specific gear.

83-84 mop greens and 77-79 cata greens are what you want, also MoP uber blues if you can get them under 400 or so. Note that the 80 cata greens will quickly lose value in 5.3 as they're adding vendors that sell equivalents.

Use underminejournal's great deals and wowuction's deal finder pages for flipping opportunities.

200k in sales in the past 10 days doing pretty much exactly this and some profession mat bottleneck price gouging. Gotta love selling stacks of hypnotic dust for 1k a stack.

Crone

Just tried my first batch of transmog gear. Found quite a few 77-79 greens up for under 40g. Bought about 5 of them, and relisted them all for about 300g each. We'll see what happens with them.
smile.png

Page 58 of this thread btw, is where there's more talk about making money. Appreciate the help! I'll be figuring out TSM Auction groups pretty soon!

smile.png

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Been piddling with the free 80 I got past year and never played. Enhancement shammy. My god they seem to have a ton of keybinds! And tracking searing flames is a PITA. Never played a shaman before. Seems fairly complex to maximize.

Oh and LOL at my shammy having no profs at 81. I forgot we didn't get boosters profs and I'm no doing that on a fourth alt

Crone

About to make a shaman myself, as every damn instance I run with one, they are elemental, and spam chain lightning, and with shitty gear top the damage charts. Shits OP!

Crone

Hell ya, why not? Not like they wouldn't be good DPS on single target either. But whoever links single target DPS? nope, people care about overall damage done!

But I'm on a server that doesn't have a single 25 man raiding guild, and not a single guild has cleared even 13/13 normal, let alone heroic. I really don't take much seriously about this game right now.

That notion to me was killed when they made battlegrounds x-server, before that I used to know the names and the gear progression of all the allies.

when x-server was put in, the other side just became a faceless mob.
The downside of that was not being able to do Battlegrounds at all on off-peak hours, on servers with low populations, or on servers with imbalanced populations. Cross server BGs have way more pros than cons.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The downside of that was not being able to do Battlegrounds at all on off-peak hours, on servers with low populations, or on servers with imbalanced populations. Cross server BGs have way more pros than cons.
It's the same with every game, stuff that was broken or imba sticks in people's minds.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
About to make a shaman myself, as every damn instance I run with one, they are elemental, and spam chain lightning, and with shitty gear top the damage charts. Shits OP!
They scale poorly with gear, and as they reach better levels of it their dps starts to drop off in relation to other classes. They are awesome until other classes start reaching gear somewhere near them, then I think you'll just get frustrated. They do superbly at the beginning of the expansion since Cata, since they can do more with less.

Crone

Ya, I won't as I have enough characters as is. I'm getting close to being able to get some heirloom gear and thought it would be fun, but I actually do enjoy my druid. Level 87 now with some MoP dungeon blues under me now. Rock some pretty good dps in the instances I'm running!

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Wasn't Itz just commenting last week how they are back at 10M? I'd like to know how many of those subs are NA, and how many Asian cheapies, too.

Diablo III remains the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, and Mists of Pandaria came in at #3.
I'm amazed D3 is still selling that well. Blizz doesn't appear to be hurting but I'm curious what their strategy will be to try and keep some of their sinking NA sub numbers.