World of Warcraft: Current Year

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You can say it's because of its age, but I wouldn't believe it.
The gaming world has changed, and WoW faces competition for gaming time more than it did 10 years ago. Plus, WE changed as well. We're not the players we were 10 years ago.

My F&F guild has shrunk again to non-sustainable size (we can't field an all-guild dungeon group except very occasionally), and it's almost impossible to recruit people with a good fit. You either find some progression-obsessed youngsters who were passed over by mythic/heroic guilds and who bail out the next week when they discover we still aren't raiding this week, or people who apply and never show up again. We're going to merge, like we did during LK (both guilds were fielding 10 mans, and we joined forces for 25mans; we merged in anticipation of Cata), except this time we're probably leaving for the other guild (our last raid, three weeks ago, had in fact more people and alts for that guild than ours).

That's for Legion. My guess is that, after 7.2, we'll be back at the same point, without yet another pool of players to merge with. When that happens, I guess it will be the final unsub for me.

DavivMcD

Peasant
Of course it's because of its age, are you fucking kidding? It's nearly 11 years old. I won't say their design choices are perfect or that they couldn't have had a few more subs hang on if they did things differently, but it's a goddamn miracle they still have as many as they do.

I think that since we have been playing WoW fairly consistently over these past 11 years (1 month subbed 11 months unsubbed maybe), we've lost some perspective. So here's a list of some of the non-MMO games that came out the same year as WoW:

UT 2004
Far Cry
Samurai Warriors
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Doom 3
Star Wars: Battlefront
Katamari Damacy
GTA: San Andreas
Halo 2
Half-Life 2
MGS 3: Snake Eater
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
KOTOR 2

I don't intend to compare any of these with the ever-changing and evolving nature of an MMO, but just as a general idea of the era WoW came out in. Jesus, just looking at that list makes ME feel fucking old.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
I have a f&f guild on emerald dream horde. We raid 2 days a week for 2-2.5 hours a night. Could use some ranged dps. We have hfc cleared on normal and should have heroic cleared in a week or two.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I have a f&f guild on emerald dream horde. We raid 2 days a week for 2-2.5 hours a night. Could use some ranged dps. We have hfc cleared on normal and should have heroic cleared in a week or two.
What nights? I currently raid mythic on tues/thurs but dont mind helping out if you need ranged DPS can bring a warlock who needs the gear or my raiding hunter.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every year around this time I get the urge to play this game. Can I buy game time with gold without a sub somehow? Can I at least do it with a 7 day free sub or whatever?

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Every year around this time I get the urge to play this game. Can I buy game time with gold without a sub somehow? Can I at least do it with a 7 day free sub or whatever?
I think that's the hard part. I think you need to have an active paid sub before starting to throw gold at them. I was trying to do similar for a friend of mine to pay for his sub with gold but he had to pay for a month first. or re-buy.

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
I believe you can start up the subscription direct from gold if you have enough of it on one character. At some point after logging in, it's supposed to give you the option.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I believe you can start up the subscription direct from gold if you have enough of it on one character. At some point after logging in, it's supposed to give you the option.
Yeah you don't need an active sub and the money doesn't have to all be on one character either. It will take as even of an amount as it can from all the characters you have.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Some people a little while back were posting about a really fast way to level 90-100. I believe it was focused around XP potions and the bonus events maybe? You get close to completing a bunch of bonus objectives then finish all of them with one of the XP pots on? Is that all there was to it?

Curious if whoever the experts on this could elaborate a bit. Got a Monk alt I want to mess around with but seriously hate the idea of going through draenor again for the 6th time.

DavivMcD

Peasant
The key to fast leveling is mainly the XP potion and heirloom gear. Bonus objectives are good xp, but if you just fly from one to the next you'll spend most of your time traveling. Besides, you need to do some quests to unlock all the bonus objectives. Mix in regular quests on your way to bonus objectives to get the best of both. And don't forget to grab every treasure you can without going too far out of your way. They give about as much xp as regular quests and there's a little over 200 sitting around. You can probably hit 100 before you're done with Gorgrond, but I usually hit it somewhere in Talador; I also don't have any 90-100 heirloom gear, that makes a huge difference.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
The key is getting to 92 then you do all the bonus quests in frostfire(horde) and gorgrond til 1 objective item, i prefer 1 kill. You also pick up all the bonus boss quests in gorgrondd that you can do, you get these from killing specific named. You then pop the 20 percent bonus potion from your garrison quarter master and you pop the elixir of the rapid mind 300 percent exp boost and run around and turn them all in. You should be level 96 once you do this.

Then you go to talador and spires of arak and do the same thing with another potion of the rapid mind. You should be level 100. Each bonus quest will give over 300k xp.

Just did this on my rogue with flying last week before my account expired. Its silly how fast you can level now in wow.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
or Bards. Amazed so many cool things you can do with a "music" class and they have done zilch.
Except not like EQ bards

rrr_img_112544.gif

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
For a class like Bards to exist they would honestly have to go back a bit to the fact that there can be more roles than dps, healing or tanking in a raid. I mean, as much as people knock on it but shamans used to be out of combat ressers in molten core for example. Why we can't have a class that focuses more on buffs/debuffs is beyond me

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Because WOW is mostly a single player game, even up to LFR. In the LFR you're basically playing the damage/healing meters because it doesn't take any sort of attention to win through that. Buffing and Debuffing are boring as fuck to play for the majority of people unless you can come up with a fun way to do it where you have visceral feedback to whether or not you're actually doing anything.

Outside that, running solo/leveling as substandard DPS is pretty meh all around.

That's why WOW doesn't do it.

edit to add: If WOW had a larger focus on PVP you might have an easier path to take to make it fun and interesting. It still would be the least popular role. Just look at games like League of Legends where the support role is the least played role.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
It's also impossible to balance through differing group sizes. What +% effectiveness are Bard buffs worth? If it's less than 20%, they're shit in 5-mans. But even at 10%, they're stupidly overpowered in any raid. Do the buffs from multiple Bards stack? If yes, then you need a minimum of five in every raid. If no, then having more than one is useless.

You guys need to remember that in EQ raiding an optimal raid was comprised entirely of Warriors, Clerics, either Rogues or Wizards depending on the expansion, and only 1 of every other class.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
They had Bards in Rift and they were awful to play, and boring. You just cycled buffs/debuffs all fight and it was dull and you never felt like you were doing anything. A lot of that has to do with shitty class design than anything else, but it still remains that buffing/debuffing is boring.

Even if the dps class and the support class are pressing the same amount of buttons in the same order; one can see big numbers and when they get better gear they see bigger numbers and the other never sees anything and usually gear does shitall for their performance other than maybe not dying as fast. Same goes for healers; they get more character progression with gear - bigger heals and the ability to cast more spells with resource increases or whatever.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think one of the best models for a non DPS focused game play would be something like city of heroes. Their "healer" class the defenders often times did the healers job while using various forms of buffing or debuffing with only a couple options for direct healing. Then they also had the controller who had limited DPS options but high quality CC and defensive utility and buffs.