World of Warcraft: Current Year

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Friends have played it for years, but I refused to try that "ez mode game". Then I had a son coming along, and knew I needed something that I could walk away from at the drop of a hat (death has no meaning, etc). Once they added Pokemon, I thought, why not give it a try. I like that I can log on for 10 minutes and do a scenario for cash/faction, or check some alts camping rare pets, or do a daily or 3. Would rather play Eve or something, but the amount of ships I'd lose in the middle of nowhere because I had to afk at the worst times... Now if only there was a game that had some features (like pets, shiny collecting, etc) that appealed to casuals but also didn't just hand out every damn thing to players. Done some LFR and the shit trips me out, no reason for the most Gomer Pile motherfucker to not have a full 502 set (given enough time of course).

TL
biggrin.png
R
I hit the super casual phase of my life and the MMO space sucks right now.

biggrin.png

Dom_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I was none too pleased to read the tweet a while ago that said that the summer season didn't actually happen when most expected it to, resulting in having my World Safari achievement cockblocked. But, 5.3 has some rather nice pet stuff in it. New pets, carps tradable, revamped hit/dodge, the fable daily revamp and so on, so I can't even be mad at them. It's the first feature of the game that I've enjoyed where they seem to be promptly and correctly fixing the shit that doesn't make sense, or that people hate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If I was just starting out I'd think WoW was great.. but it's just getting too tiring. I seriously log in and walk around Org for a bit then log off. The game lost its magic for me long ago. I hit 90 and barely played after that.

Someone like my fiance who just started a couple years ago still loves the game, things are still new and exciting for people like her (super casual, loves fluff items/pets, etc).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think the best time for WOW, at least for me, was Vanilla and TBC. Wrath was Ok, but it started to take a shit around that time. Didnt play through Cata, but the cata zones seemed more interesting than the Panda ones when I played it this year.. The most memorable? Definitely the old Alterac Valley BG. Man when that came out it was truly epic.

Cybsled

Overall MoP has engaged me more than Cata. Monk class, expanded LFR, and side distractions like pets and rare mob hunting/Lei Shen treasure run gets me to log in. Cata didn't have much to do unless you did progression raiding at cap.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Peoples favorite expansions are (almost) always going to be their first 1 or 2. After that, the immersion of the game wears off because you know everything and you just get burned out. Even if you keep playing it an have fun, in general you will not like the content as much as the last. Most people I know that played since launch will swear by Vanilla and TBC, people who started in TBC will swear by TBC and hate wrath, people who started in wrath will...and so on.

The game is going to lose subs because its fucking old. The fact that it has maintained its gigantic player base for so long is a testament to blizzard and its developers for knowing what they're doing better than anyone else. There is no way a game of its age, though, can bring in new players (especially with a 5 expansion barrier of entry) as fast as players are going to burn out/grow out of the game. WoW loses more subs in a quarter than 99.99% of MMOs ever have even at their peaks, and even after that maintains a player base at least 5 times larger than its closest competitor.

Guarantee that it will keep losing subs every quarterly call (except for immediately after the next expansion), and it won't have anything to do with the quality of the game. The game right now is more polished and has more content is higher quality than it has ever been. The number will go down and down, at a decelerating rate as it gets lower, and people will always cry that its because blizzard is too stupid and has no idea what they're doing. In reality its nothing more than an old game getting older.

end rant

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Healing is largely whack a mole, and it's kind of sad that's the way they want it. Disc Priests Attonement ability lets them damage to heal the group, and that is an awesome concept. Rolled up a Disc priest just to use it, but it's rumored that it'll get nerfed in 5.3
frown.png

More out of the box ways to do things like that and I think it'll breath new life into the game... at least for us that have been playing it on/off for 8 years.

frown.png

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved the Movement devspeak video.

That being said aimed healing with dashes, double jumps, and sprint. /sigh

People are gonna die. And I am going to laugh at their double jumping asses.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
A game shouldn't fucking 'cater' to a marketing segment or, in WoW's case, try to cater to ALL segments. It's fucking stupid. If you have children/wives/gf/grandmas/work/school/blahlbah, then do that. A game shouldn't be designed around your real life schedule. If you don't have the time to advance in the game, then you won't advance. It's that simple. It's that easy... except Blizzard and the rest of the industry has sold out the gameplay to provide for these people, and hence, why there are 0 worthwhile games to play in this genre.

Thanks Blizzard! How's Kotick's money pockets looking next quarter? Take Titan and go fuck yourselves with it.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm always amazed at how long you've continued to shit n this game Dumar / Kilivik. Try making a game that says "Fuck you, you wanna play?? You better be able to do 8 hour nonstop raids or its no gear for you!" and see how well it sells. I understand the hate for how dumbed down the game is now, but since when should a MMO be only about having assloads of time to have fun? Seriously, your rant just baffles my mind. As much as I miss my full time, no life commitment raiding from Everquest days, I don't have time for that shit now, and I don't see anyone else having their own home and spouse having time for that either.

Cybsled

Don't you understand? Capitalism destroyed the Workers Paradise that was EQ1. Much like Soviet Union citizens had to stand for 8 hours in bread lines, gamers should be forced to deal tedious time wasting, lest they STARVE!

Dumar_sl

shitlord
You can still play, you know. You can still login and enjoy the parts of the game in which you can achieve. You just can't or won't see and get everything. See how that's supposed to work? But we can't have that anymore. Everyone has to be able to see, do, and acquire everything with no commitment whatsoever. A dungeon crawl, by the very definition of the word dungeon and the word crawl, implies some type of risk and time going and exploring a dangerous part of the world. WoW has that nowhere, and it hasn't since BRD in 2004.

Casuals can still play, but that doesn't mean they should have access to everything. If you don't have time because of whatever, then you don't get to see the same things as someone who does have time. That's what makes the gameworth it. Who gives a fuck about raiding WoW since, geez I don't know, lich king? It's a pointless activity considering the LFR exists.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A game shouldn't fucking 'cater' to a marketing segment or, in WoW's case, try to cater to ALL segments. It's fucking stupid. If you have children/wives/gf/grandmas/work/school/blahlbah, then do that. A game shouldn't be designed around your real life schedule. If you don't have the time to advance in the game, then you won't advance. It's that simple. It's that easy... except Blizzard and the rest of the industry has sold out the gameplay to provide for these people, and hence, why there are 0 worthwhile games to play in this genre.

Thanks Blizzard! How's Kotick's money pockets looking next quarter? Take Titan and go fuck yourselves with it.
You do realize that you are more of a reason that this happens then me? I don't even hate WoW but I didn't buy MOP.You did!Why the fuck do you care so much about what other people enjoy playing? It's ironic that someone who shouts all the time about socializing in MMO's has the social skills of an angry mental patient.

You make some good points sometimes, but it's nearly impossible to find it when you just come off as a bitter angry old man.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Because itmakes me fucking angry, as it should you. I would be fine with WoW if there were other games to play that provided the experience I and many others are looking for, such as a UO or vanilla EQ. But no. They're nowhere. They haven't been anywhere in a decade. That's why I'm bitter, angry and post as such - because it's fucking bullshit. And to make it worse, Blizzard even to this day tries to cater to us by throwing half-assed shit like 'hardcore modes' in our faces. I don't want a fucking hardcore mode. If I wanted that, I would play a single player game. I want amassivelymultiplayer game withmassively socialsocial interactions, not hanging out in town half-afk waiting for a queue to pop to collect tokens with other bots.. er players. Blizzard's design is fucking garbage, and it's our responsibility to call out this garbage.

How much longer will we as gamers have to wait on this piece of shit industry to get the dicks of people like Kotick out of its ass? Another decade? 20 years? Will I be in diapers and a wheelchair before this industry can manage another decent MMO again? Or will we be playing emulators of EverQuest and Ultima Online til the end of fucking time?

spronk

FPS noob
we will continue to play wow clones until the proletarians (players) yank off the oppressive chains of the bourgeois (blizzard) and rise up to demand that epics are distributed based on each players ability and need, and not given to those who greedily oppress the working raiders and loot whore based upon unfair class and race based systems such as DKP

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The thing is your points are fine but some of us casuals like WoW. I still like WoW. I'm perfectly fine with EVE existing but you're not fine with WoW existing. Just don't think if your hardcore game ever comes to fruition that all is "filthy casuals" will be playing it. They (we) won't necessarily.

Otherwise, your shit reads exactly like someone who's pissed about their real life and is mad that they can't be king of the "I play a game 16 hours a day" nerd circle jerk and laud it over the filthy proletariat...er...casuals.