World of Warcraft: Current Year

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I bolded that part for you. You must have forgotten you said that, but to make the statement " I should also mention that to this day it is still possible to get" after bringing in relevance is moot. None of the legendary weapons are relevant anymore, by a long shot. Dalien nailed it on the head for you; there was nothing stopping a person from completing a scepter themselves after getting a Head from BWL (which, after the first one went out to the 'dedicated' person, was free roll lolol~). On Stormrage, I think we had 5-6 Scarab Lords by the end of it all. Had we not rushed the gates open trying to be one of the first servers to do so, we could've had 20-30+ people get the title.

And I'm glad I'm not designing MMO content, thank you very much. I'd hate to have to pander to players like you're asking for.
By relevance (and this should have been obvious) I meant the mount. I don't think you got the title either; you could obviously still do the quest line all the way to the end for a bunch of really crappy epics and some interesting flavor epics (like the water breathing thing). In order to achieve the same thing the first guy did, you needed to ring the gong within 24 hrs.

And no, it wasn't one per raid group, unless you had no guilds who were actually fans of true progression. It was a race across all servers; not only did you have to beat the content before other guilds, you had to open the gates before other servers. Share chitins and the other crap between 4-5 people? Fuck no. There was a reason the top guilds on the server worked together, because you wanted the gates open just so you could zone in and actually start, I don't know, PROGRESSING.

Like I said, a lot of you have these very skewed perceptions of how AQ actually went. The questline was very cool, and it's sad they removed the mount part of it for others after the fact, because then it didn't seem worth doing. A lot of us did very similar work to open the gate and truth be told, most of us were glad we weren't holding the scepter because our poor mage had to have 100% attendance. That's not just raids either. If I wanted to take a nap from the farming I could have, he was not so lucky.

It was crappy design. That's really all it was.

And yea, i was salty. Because after we got all the quest pieces, and did all the farming, and got to exalted rep, and convinced casuals and randoms etc to farm for the war effort, we were sitting at Ragnaros' corpse one night - our last bit of raid content that week - and trying to figure out when to open the gates. It was CONTENT for us, and so the edict came down that we were opening the gates tomorrow morning, which was a weekday. So at some ridiculous hour after a ridiculous long night, we trot out there, open the gates and mass hysteria and anger ensued, because some people didn't get to see the opening. I feel for them, I do, but we had been sitting around for awhile now, we wanted the new stuff. It was bullshit that the 80 people from the two guilds who were geared and experienced enough to enter had to wait around for the rest of the server to come watch a slideshow. We didn't wait. Hell, we didn't even stick around for the majority of the event. We zoned in and started farming mounts.

That whole situation was nothing but venom on my lips and acid on my tongue. And the zone was no better.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There should have been Warders in AhnQiraj so that the first group per server to clear the raid also closed the raid off for the server forever. It would have been delicious.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
There should have been Warders in AhnQiraj so that the first group per server to clear the raid also closed the raid off for the server forever. It would have been delicious.
You'd think with the amount of anger we got over the opening that's exactly what we did.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
You were fortunate. The entire server got word of the gates opening at the crazy hour we did it. Was barely possible to even ring the gong everyone was disconnecting so much. Forget about watching the little sequence.

Sterling

El Presidente
We announced that we were doing the event at like 10 AM on like a tuesday or something like midnight the night before. The butthurt was massive.

spronk

FPS noob
the gates were fucking crazy, some servers opened way before others and people would create level 1s and run them alllll the way to the zone to see it. So GMs would mass port out people periodically, until the servers crashed. Then of course there were the elite spawns after the gates opened that dropped nice epic loot, made things even better. Ridiculous and fun all wrapped together.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was on Medivh when they were the first to open the gates gamewide. That shit was literally unplayable haw. The server was laggy as fuck everywhere and a slideshow at best on top of the line hardware at the time if you were even near Silithus. Lots of people hordeside in the top couple of guilds (Ascent/Vindication) couldn't even get on to do the event because the server had like a 3 hour queue during the off hours.

Empala_sl

shitlord
And after all this farming, grinding and poopsocking... you zone in and realize... what a terrible zone. I like the idea of a whole server working together - in theory. Look how that panned out.

Then again, farming grave moss in SM on my alts just to get shadow prot potions for Loatheb during work hours was a bit over the top as well. Yet... I miss those days really.

malaki_sl

shitlord
Coming from a player in a second-tier guild on the wrong faction, the gates sucked. Didn't get past basically the first stage of the questline or see any cool content, yet also didn't feel 'involved' by having the ability to grind cloth like a goddamn slave or try to deal with a horribly non-scalable mail interface. At least Imperial Order transferred off so that they didn't hold our server hostage, didn't that make PCGamer? It was a good opportunity to carebear and be the only horde allowed to watch the slideshow gate ceremony, that was about it.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Coming from a player in a second-tier guild on the wrong faction, the gates sucked. Didn't get past basically the first stage of the questline or see any cool content, yet also didn't feel 'involved' by having the ability to grind cloth like a goddamn slave or try to deal with a horribly non-scalable mail interface. At least Imperial Order transferred off so that they didn't hold our server hostage, didn't that make PCGamer? It was a good opportunity to carebear and be the only horde allowed to watch the slideshow gate ceremony, that was about it.
But it was all ok afterwards because there was a player with a unique title, right? Right?

Bullshit AQ nostalgia aside:

5.3 on Tuesday.

Cybsled

Speaking of 5.3, fuck the Titan Runestone drop rate. Wtf Blizzard? We need -12- of the damn things and there are tons of complaints that people haven't seen 1 in weeks of raiding. It doesn't help they restricted them to the final 6 bosses of ToT either.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I'm touring china this next two weeks. Should be called smogs of pandaria IMO.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Noodleface, what guild were you in? I was in Transcendence ( the guild that opened the gates ) And some random guy was named Broodthorn, and posts here under the name of creedeki *sp?*. The ONLY reason why ZJ wasn't the first to open the gates, because our rival guild on the alliance side thought there was a special enchant recipe that you got if you did the hand in. So Instead of a server coming together it was a legit race for the horde side and alliance side, slowing us way the fuck down. Anyway, fun times.

I think some of the contests that the ubers did for the casual crowd to assist them in opening the gates was fun. We did raid spots with all loot desired going to the winners etc. Hell man, just having some of those people in vent and getting their reaction to doing a full BWL and MC clear in one night was funny as hell.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I remember farming Maurudon for Nature resistance gear so we could kill that damn Wasp boss! haha

C'thun was a bad ass fight though. Shit was crazy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodleface, what guild were you in? I was in Transcendence ( the guild that opened the gates ) And some random guy was named Broodthorn, and posts here under the name of creedeki *sp?*. The ONLY reason why ZJ wasn't the first to open the gates, because our rival guild on the alliance side thought there was a special enchant recipe that you got if you did the hand in. So Instead of a server coming together it was a legit race for the horde side and alliance side, slowing us way the fuck down. Anyway, fun times.

I think some of the contests that the ubers did for the casual crowd to assist them in opening the gates was fun. We did raid spots with all loot desired going to the winners etc. Hell man, just having some of those people in vent and getting their reaction to doing a full BWL and MC clear in one night was funny as hell.
Heh, I was in valorous (you probably remember hyperburn, everyone does). Not the top guild but we were up there for a bit. Final union always had recruitment closed, is final union the guild you're talking about?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They were shitbags and would always cry if we beat them to a spawn. I think they're either still around or were around for a very long time.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Then again, farming grave moss in SM on my alts just to get shadow prot potions for Loatheb during work hours was a bit over the top as well. Yet... I miss those days really.
Learn without the pots/mats, calculate when your dps was good enough to down him once you added in all the pots/healthstones/bandages/etc and lived longer...kill him on 4th potted run.

Although it was fun as hell to troll the other guilds on the server who threw ridiculous amounts of materials and gold at the fight learning it a month after we'd killed it.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We announced that we were doing the event at like 10 AM on like a tuesday or something like midnight the night before. The butthurt was massive.
We were pretty hated on our server due to our monopolizing of the world bosses prior to gates opening (only got worse when they put Green Dragons in). Had to do a massive PR campaign to get people to contribute to the effort b/c we were so sick of running BWL. Fortunately we were on good terms with the top guild horde side, them and us put in serious work because we were so desperate for new content. We picked a decent hour for everyone to see the event, but did our best with wall-walking to zone into the instance as soon as possible. A lot of the other guilds stayed out to deal with all of the events and said the lag and disconnects were just horrific, fortunately inside the instance it was fine.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
We were pretty hated on our server due to our monopolizing of the world bosses prior to gates opening (only got worse when they put Green Dragons in). Had to do a massive PR campaign to get people to contribute to the effort b/c we were so sick of running BWL. Fortunately we were on good terms with the top guild horde side, them and us put in serious work because we were so desperate for new content. We picked a decent hour for everyone to see the event, but did our best with wall-walking to zone into the instance as soon as possible. A lot of the other guilds stayed out to deal with all of the events and said the lag and disconnects were just horrific, fortunately inside the instance it was fine.
Sounds like our guild. From the time that the world bosses and green dragons came out, I think we allowed maybe a few Azuregos kills, one or two Kazzak kills, and 0 green dragon kills until at least everyone had a nightmare object and then some. At least the guild behind us recognized that at the end of it we just wanted the zone to open. Though Noodle's love of AQ makes a lot more sense now; with a server who was actually fighting over the gate opening, the time between the patch introduction and AQ open was probably greatly lengthened. I also imagine that being in a progression guild who was not worried about opening the gate it was much more leisurely.

And yea, Empala. That's exactly what it was. Zone into AQ and realize the zone was chocked-full of side grades and teired gear for offspecs, fucking whoop. We did a lot of theorycrafting for BWL, but having to literally compute every item from AQ to see if it was even an upgrade (at least accessories were) was fucking horrendous. At least I ground out cenarion rep for earthstrike; all of the dps classes getting to badge of the swarmguard and letting it get disenchanted and not spending dkp was great.

That zone and event was just a pile of crap and disappointment. If you got enjoyment out of it (though I will say I agree with Mythas that some of the stuff we did to get other people involved in the war effort was kind of cool - people being handed epics and jumping in joy over crappy MC BOEs was always good) then awesome, because I think you were in the minority. At the very least I can be comforted to know they won't do the same thing again.

And just in case people forgot what a clusterfuck it was, these were some of the more minor things necessary for the AQ gate opening:

MINERS:
90,000 Copper Bars <- BOTH SIDES
22,000 Tin Bars <- HORDE ONLY
28,000 Iron Bars <- ALLIANCE ONLY
18,000 Mithril Bars <- HORDE ONLY
24,000 Thorium Bars <- ALLIANCE ONLY

HERBALISTS:
96,000 Peacebloom <- HORDE ONLY
19,000 Firebloom <- HORDE ONLY
26,000 Purple Lotus <- BOTH SIDES
20,000 Arthas Tears <- ALLIANCE ONLY
33.000 Stranglekelp <- ALLIANCE ONLY

SKINNERS:
180,000 Light Leather <- ALLIANCE ONLY
110,000 Medium Leather <- ALLIANCE ONLY
60,000 Heavy Leather <- HORDE ONLY
80,000 Thick Leather <- BOTH SIDES
60,000 Rugged Leather <- HORDE ONLY

COOKS:
10,000 Lean Wolf Steaks <- HORDE ONLY
20,000 Roast Raptor <- ALLIANCE ONLY
14,000 Rainbow Fin Albacore <- ALLIANCE ONLY
17,000 Spotted Yellowtail <- BOTH SIDES
10,000 Baked Salmon <- HORDE ONLY

ANYONE:
800,000 Linen Bandages <- ALLIANCE ONLY
600,000 Silk Bandages <- ALLIANCE ONLY
250,000 Wool Bandages <-- HORDE ONLY
250,000 Mageweave Bandages <- HORDE ONLY
400,000 Runecloth Bandages <- BOTH SIDES

Does not even count the chitin you had to farm. ><

/still bitter

Edit: Ghostcrawler answer to this content being alt-unfriendly:

-Had 10 85's 5 DS geared in Cata, have 4 90's and 1 ToT geared now. Stopped alt playing completely now. Better? Just curious.

GC: You are comparing the final raid tier to the not-final raid tier.... (Source)

-It is irrelevant that they are different tiers GC, you have made alt playing not fun in MoP.

GC: The tons of raid-geared alts didn't happen until Dragon Soul. Then players naturally expected to keep the into 5.0. (Source)
I'm not saying there weren't alts before, but the average player having 4-5 happened in Dragon Soul. (Source)

What a fucking moron.