World of Warcraft: Current Year

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Haha now I have to know
Start with his (incorrect) viewpoint that Verant-era EQ was the apex of game design (not just MMO design, butgamedesign) and follow the bouncing ball of logic from there.

EVE?
tongue.png
Blizzard could copy their "buy GTCs with ingame currency" if WoWs economic system wasn't shit
Haha, that would piss off the (90%?) people who fuck up when using the AHso much.

spronk

FPS noob
Just jumping into this thread so maybe I'm missing some context but, what makes you guys think WoW ruined video games ?
do you remember in high school the goth vampire emos who used to basically only like shit no one else liked, and the second anything they liked became popular they really hated it, because it ruined the genre and brought out too many posers? Thats essentially a big chunk of the people posting here.

I do wonder now though with all the popularity of twilight and shit, who the outcasts in high school are and what genre they are into

Rime

<Donor>
EVE?
tongue.png
Blizzard could copy their "buy GTCs with ingame currency" if WoWs economic system wasn't shit
I am actually shocked that they have not gone this route. Even if they marked it up, say $20 for a 30 Day card that you could sell in the game (While leaving normal subscription costs at $15), I know a boat load of people who would buy their game time that way.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
While I'm not playing currently I generally keep an loose eye on MMO-Champion. Looks like they're adding the ability to purchase charms from the store. In Asia only, of course. I'm sure it would never ever come to the US. Thoughts?

TrainWreck1.gif

spronk

FPS noob
Its been talked about on previous pages, pretty much nothing should really be a surprise in wow anymore. Sometime next year you will probably see the ability to just buy level 90 or whatever characters in the cash shop and who knows what else. The only possible positive you could say is that maybe at some point they implement a f2p plan (with harsh limits, like no raiding) so at least you can jump into wow occasionally, since the game isn't really worth subbing to anymore for more than a month or two. I miss my al'ar mount
frown.png

Garrosh on 10m normal PTR, looks pretty boring:

spronk

FPS noob
can someone explain what the fuck is going on with the klaxxi, in 5.1 you become best buds with them and kill the empress but they warn they will always side with the old Gods. But in 5.4 I guess they are a boss, which means they are siding with Garrosh and his old god (who is his pet or controlling him)? But aren't the sha fragments of that old god? So why the fuck would they fight against a Sha controlled Empress, isn't that going against your God?

I know lore lol
frown.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well, the Sha are the result of the Titans "slaying" Y'shaarj, but they aren't the god himself. In 5.3 we actually found the still beating heart of Y'shaarj, so now the Klaxxi are following it believing it to be their god and Garrosh to be under its influence. I haven't been following the lorethatclosely, but GC tweeted that Y'shaarj truly is dead sometime in the last couple weeks. Given that tidbit, I'd have to assume that the Klaxxi are just unwittingly following the will of Garrosh.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
800k at one point.

Stat explosion gud?
It's not stat explosion per se (although that is definitely happening), if you watch the rest of the video they all drop down to like 200k dps at the end (besides the pally who stays at 300k) which is pretty normal for heroic raider dps right now. There is some mechanic that makes him take more damage or some buff that makes them do more damage in the first phase.

With that said they really do need to find some way to tone down the damage/hp/etc of everything or we're gonna be doing a million dps against bosses that have 10 billion hps soon.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I never understood why they kept inflating stats so much, it's pretty retarded.

That said, is there any good private servers up that anyone is playing on? I would like to get my MMO fix but I'd really rather not re-sub.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well, the Sha are the result of the Titans "slaying" Y'shaarj, but they aren't the god himself. In 5.3 we actually found the still beating heart of Y'shaarj, so now the Klaxxi are following it believing it to be their god and Garrosh to be under its influence. I haven't been following the lorethatclosely, but GC tweeted that Y'shaarj truly is dead sometime in the last couple weeks. Given that tidbit, I'd have to assume that the Klaxxi are just unwittingly following the will of Garrosh.
Turns out I wasn't quite accurate. Minor spoiler:

Garrosh uses the water of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms to bring the heart of Y'Shaarj back to life. As an aside, Garrosh's act of using the water is so ridiculously self serving that it finally brings out the Sha of Pride. The Sha corrupts pretty much the whole Vale and even kills the Golden Lotus quest givers (who are the 2nd or 3rd encounter in the new raid).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I never understood why they kept inflating stats so much, it's pretty retarded.
I remember GC saying (around the time of Cat release) that they wanted significant power increases to compensate for only 5 levels instead of 10. Iirc they shoot for a certain percentage of increase over the final raid tier of the previous expansion, but I don't remember what that number is off the top of my head. Once you start moving the needle by exponents and not by simple adding the numbers get pretty big, pretty fast.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Last couple of posts almost made me like the lore of this expansion, which I'd despised until now.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My biggest complaint with the lore this expansion is that it hasn't really introduced anything we didn't already know about the world, and the big "reveals" were so heavily broadcasted that they weren't that terribly exciting.

BC had a few interesting lore moments with the reveal of the first Death Knight, Black Temple wrapping up the story from WC3, The Caverns of Time letting us live out key points in history, and finally the creation of a new Well of Eternity.

Wrath had Ulduar which gave us the story of Yogg's imprisonment and his influence on major world events in history. Of course there were also the Ulduar dungeons (Halls of Lightning and Stone) which gave us our first look at fallen Titan creations and how lost they were when the Titans left. I think Wrath was the first talk of Curse of Flesh too, but I forget. Finally, Algalon gave us another look at the Titan's will and demand for absolute perfection and compliance to their plans.

Cat was pretty equally weak as MoP in terms of lore unless you were a big fan of the WarCraft series prior to WC3 since they brought back Deathwing and Cho'gal. They could've done some pretty cool lore stuff with Azshara, but they "ran out of time" for the 4.4 raid or whatever and instead just focused on the Deathwing raid.

Anyway, I thought MoP was alright in terms of lore since we got to see a few new, unique cultures in the world and a more hands-on look at servants of the Titans who had lost their way. The constant narration by Lorewalker Cho and Wrathion was also a nice touch, imo.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I find wrathion interesting. One of their most promising new characters. His moral "ambiguity" that's coming in the next patch I expect to feature in the next xpac.

I also wonder if WoW 6.0: return of the burn will in any way talk about what went down with Arthas since the LK was originally a Burning Legion creation. I think burned Bolvar could also be compelling and shed more light into Ner'zhul's post Arthas plans.