World of Warcraft: Current Year

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
only way for arthas to know the true meaning of no strings attached was to become effervescent

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know Ion and the rest of the raid devs are fuming that no one is even trying to kill the last boss on Heroic. When was the last time the heroic final boss was still not killed 3 days into a patch the raid starts?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Alliance players are probably still looking for enough players to form a heroic raid

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
How come everyone is skipping it?

It doesn't drop tier gear and the loot from it is bad it seems. They also ramped up the difficulty on the last 3 bosses, so it wasn't worth it to learn it/kill it. Mythic guilds killed the last 2 for tier and moved to mythic leaving the Jailer (final boss) up. No one has killed him yet either it seems. The whole heroic tier just looks like not many are doing it:

1646958685964.png

Goonsquad Officer
It doesn't drop tier gear and the loot from it is bad it seems. They also ramped up the difficulty on the last 3 bosses, so it wasn't worth it to learn it/kill it. Mythic guilds killed the last 2 for tier and moved to mythic leaving the Jailer (final boss) up. No one has killed him yet either it seems. The whole heroic tier just looks like not many are doing it:

View attachment 402593
They didn't put a reward on their purported super mega villain? Like not even a quest done?

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
He's the expansion capstone encounter right? And the quest reward is macguffin juice and a little gold?

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
He's the expansion capstone encounter right? And the quest reward is macguffin juice and a little gold?
I like how in FF14 people are happy to beat The Endsinger because they are saving the universe and nobody has ever mentioned quest rewards.

In WoW people want a quest reward because they haven't been told why they should bother to beat The Jailer.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like how in FF14 people are happy to beat The Endsinger because they are saving the universe and nobody has ever mentioned quest rewards.

In WoW people want a quest reward because they haven't been told why they should bother to beat The Jailer.

I didn't get very far in FF14 and I haven't played every WoW expansion (or any of Shadowlands) but from my experience FF14 makes the player character the focus where as in WoW that happening is the exception or very, very shallow. That shallowness puts more weight on the numbers aspect so a final quest non-reward stands out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
The Jailer cannot be allowed to enact his plan. This fate of all creation is in your hands. Stop him.

(for 77 gold)

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I didn't get very far in FF14 and I haven't played every WoW expansion (or any of Shadowlands) but from my experience FF14 makes the player character the focus where as in WoW that happening is the exception or very, very shallow. That shallowness puts more weight on the numbers aspect so a final quest non-reward stands out.
You have a personal relationship with the antagonist built up over 1 zone with something very creative for why they turn evil.

You've seen the effects of their plan over about 2 zones and a dungeon in the previous expansion.

While the final villian is only revealed the penultimate zone, it integrates into previous lore flawlessly and makes the old lore better. It was clearly planned at least one expansion early.

Most of the characters from previous expansions come together in various ways to help, including dead ones in an afterlife dungeon and including villians because it's the end of the story.

That's compared to The Jailer where you don't know who he is, don't know what his plan is, ruins the old lore and old characters don't help in any way.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
There is way too much standing between story cutscenes and the actual killing of an end of raid boss for it to even correlate. New rep, wiping over and over, cockblock boss fights, shitty loot drops, more shitty loot drops, even more shitty loot drops. It’s about beating the raid tier and not so much stopping the jailer, he just drops loot.

Cybsled

FFXIV did a good job of making you the main character in a story, so we’re always front and center. They’ve also conditioned the audience to accept a Gordon Freeman/Chrono from ChronoTrigger protagonist that is “silent” but is implied to still be talking to the characters. It let’s the player add their own voice to the scene, so to speak.

In WoW, they’ve tried to make your character more prominent, but they will always take a back seat to the existing lore characters in the big scenes. This could be just as much technical as it is a storytelling choice - FF has really advanced rigging for player models, but WoW does not. The game engine rendered high quality cutscenes use custom rigged models in WoW, which would make it harder to add a player’s model.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Reward text:
"You saved the world. Do you really need one?"

Anything is better than the insult of gold for doing so