World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Levels 1-20 in Tortage was amazing for Age of Conan. Too bad everything after it was a bucket of smashed assholes.
The first 20 levels of Age of Conan, "Fuck, this is the best MMO ever made".

Sadly, that was not the case.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

That was the biggest bait and switch ever. From what I recall, at the time you just didn't see that level of polish and production in a MMO. Then post island, it becomes a bland grindfest.

I did love playing a Herald of Xotl until they nerfed the fuck out of it, at which point I quit lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Best thing in AoC was tracking stealthed assassins as a ranger and pulling them out of stealth with traps and murdering them. Stealth wars are always the most fun.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
having trouble caring. not sure I can even get a high key in this week on my main. I'm at 221 and the ilevel cap next season is just more reward system of the same.

I don't see what the draw is of doing season 1 RNG again.

AOC is infinitely more fun at max level. I mean, actual open world PvP. Some pretty cool class design too.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
having trouble caring. not sure I can even get a high key in this week on my main. I'm at 221 and the ilevel cap next season is just more reward system of the same.

I don't see what the draw is of doing season 1 RNG again.
Which was a chief complaint from many of us. I guess you just had more fun doing it than many of us did for a much longer period of time.

I tried to get into AoC, but I couldnt make it past my 30's. Dropped the game not long after release and really didnt look back at it much. If there was something of value later on, I totally missed it. But from all accounts, I didnt miss anything amazing.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I guess you just had more fun doing it than many of us did for a much longer period of time.

I tried to get into AoC, but I couldnt make it past my 30's. Dropped the game not long after release and really didnt look back at it much. If there was something of value later on, I totally missed it. But from all accounts, I didnt miss anything amazing.

The 30's were a common burnout point. My crew actually started to burn out hard around there. Very long breaks. The greater guild politics and internal strife with leadership kept us going. If you weren't playing with a serious guild it was difficult to stick with it, I could feel that.

And yeah barely playing worked wonders for my SL longevity. Didn't help they keep piling DH base damage/itemization/talent changes on. That was probably the biggest factor in me dragging it out. Trying to see a pre-nerf DH. Latest PTR buff amounts to another 2.5-4% single target overall DPS buff. Another 5% style buff just done differently.

Pretty lame, because the data indicated the need for a 10% overall damage buff to single target fucking several months ago. And just now we're getting the other half of what the numbers demanded in December. I'm definitely in the battered housewives category for waiting around for it.

Edit: but I guess the good news is, there are devs that pay attention take notes and put things in pipeline. It's just that the turnaround is 5-6 months per change.

We can look at many problems with SL and attempts to address them is disconnected by several months each. Valor was another example of way too late for such a grind (Also, 7k season point cap is bullshit. Should be 15k at least with how trash the RNG loot system is) But yea there's still life in the dev team, the DH changes are a prime example of that. It's just that they create the problems first rather than creating something good to begin with. Almost feels intentional to keep subs. Changes are timegated? Wouldn't surprise me if there's a team leader that "slates" changes for long dates and staggers them out to fit the timegated meta. Changes could be considered a form of content by "New Blizzard".

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im just curious how much longer Ion is going to have the reins. As the old guard have quit, more and more activision devs are coming in to replace those positions. Its as if they are being forced out. Ion isnt necessarily old guard, but his position is undoubtedly in question. It took me to read someone elses viewpoint to see that these changes "might" be good for the game. Given how the company as a whole has repeatedly let its customer base down over and over again.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Edit: but I guess the good news is, there are devs that pay attention take notes and put things in pipeline. It's just that the turnaround is 5-6 months per change.
L O Fucking L

Chappelles Show Lol GIF
Chappelles Show Lol GIF
Chappelles Show Lol GIF

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Who needs to check raider.io when... Blizzard is implementing it in-game?

• 1WTF

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just feeds into the carry coffers more. DPS/HPSare more relevant for key progression picks.

IO is ripe for manipulation.

• 1Picard

velk

Trakanon Raider
Who needs to check raider.io when... Blizzard is implementing it in-game?

I'm not sure that will actually change anything. Maybe wanna-be elitists that have difficulty working out how to install addons ?

Those people probably invited solely based on ilvl anyway, so that's probably an improvement regardless.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I thought the idea was forced M+ queues eventually (since 9.1 is a lot more M+ content) and Blizzard IO is a way to get the ball rolling on that.

There is a big movement for solo queue arenas. M+ forced grouping isn't as big of a movement but there's some buzz about how to implement it in a way that makes sense.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
M+ queues make as much sense as a mythic raid queue. There are also no tanks to fill said queues and there never will be. Very few people can deal with the shitshow that is tanking M+ dungeons.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How I envisioned the system was a cutoff. Sub-10 key no prideful, and expanded incentives for tanks.

It doesn't make sense, but at the same time people are being denied content in the current PUG system who are qualified to perform it.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
There is a big movement for solo queue arenas.
So players can feel good about losing, because clearly it's the fault of the random guys on the team? Or what would be the point?

I feel like the people asking for this have neither friends ingame, nor do they want to make any. But the game should accomodate their choices anyway, so they can be "competitive". I don't know if this "MMO" thing is the correct genre for these players.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So players can feel good about losing, because clearly it's the fault of the random guys on the team? Or what would be the point?

I feel like the people asking for this have neither friends ingame, nor do they want to make any. But the game should accomodate their choices anyway, so they can be "competitive". I don't know if this "MMO" thing is the correct genre for these players.

100% this anyone asking for solo queue anything needs to fuck off to another genre. Go play fucking solitaire if you are such an antisocial faggot that you can't even make a friend in an MMORPG.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

To feel good about losing, but also to grind arenas like a Vegas slot machine. Similar to playing the slot parlor-- you just sit there for hours and pull the lever until you slam your dick on the keyboard to 1800 rating. It absolves you of all responsibility to your teammates. You're never held responsible or need to improve, just keep passing the buck on until you stumble up. Ala low elo in league of legends, you can piss on games while actually pretending you want to compete and better yourself. They don't want to win, they just want to pretend to play ranked ladder while not really playing. There's a market for half-ass competitive gameplay.

Many of my friends in DOTA would play ranked while not actually doing anything to perform in ranked or raise their rating, but insisted on ranked-only and grind several hours a day. This is the solo queue movement mindset.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I thought the idea was forced M+ queues eventually (since 9.1 is a lot more M+ content) and Blizzard IO is a way to get the ball rolling on that.

There is a big movement for solo queue arenas. M+ forced grouping isn't as big of a movement but there's some buzz about how to implement it in a way that makes sense.
Solo queue RBGs would be a lot better than solo queue arenas.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users